Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
(deactivated)
Human being with feelings

Default Step recording on key input rather than on key release - is this possible?

When step recording, a note isn't inserted into a MIDI item until after its respective key is released.

This is useful for chords, but if I want to step record note sequences, I have to be conscious about releasing the previous key before pressing the next one, which slows me down. Otherwise, I occasionally will step record a chord instead of the intended note sequence because it happened that I had multiple keys pressed at a time for a fraction of a second.

I'm aware that using the function keys, the key is inserted immediately on input, but I need more than twelve keys and playing melodically on the function keys is awkward.

A temporary solution I came up with was to create a custom action per key for my computer keyboard, but I also want to be able to use my external MIDI controllers, where the default behavior of inserting notes on key release, rather than on key input, remains.

Is there a way of changing this behavior for both external MIDI keyboards and the virtual MIDI keyboard, such that notes are inserted immediately on input rather than on release (much like step inputting with the function keys), without having to rely on a bunch of custom actions? Preferably I'd like to be able to toggle this, to be able to step record chords as well whenever I want.
(deactivated) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #2
(deactivated)

If I wasn't clear enough please let me know and I'll try to explain myself again as best as I can. I'm still looking for an answer.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #3
(deactivated)

No one?
Old 09-29-2021, 05:44 AM   #4
TonE

Not sure what is your requirement exactly, but I like step recording techniques inside hackey trackey for example. Best step recording I can imagine. Add your steps on the right positions, change the pitches as often as you like, on exact those time positions, for example. Using Control-t you can toggle into this mode, showing as Adv[N] instead of Adv[8] for example. Have fun my friend.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
(deactivated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Not sure what is your requirement exactly, but I like step recording techniques inside hackey trackey for example. Best step recording I can imagine. Add your steps on the right positions, change the pitches as often as you like, on exact those time positions, for example. Using Control-t you can toggle into this mode, showing as Adv[N] instead of Adv[8] for example. Have fun my friend.
The problem with hackey trackey which I've already tried is that there is no way to insert note-off commands on multiple columns at once. One has to do it one by one manually, per column, which ends up being slower than just writing the chords on the piano roll with the mouse by hand.

Judging by the lack of replies to this thread, I'm assuming that almost nobody knows that REAPER has a step recording feature. In the MIDI editor, there is a toggle that allows all MIDI inputs to be used for step recording. The problem is that notes are not inserted into the MIDI item until after the key is released, and not immediately upon key input like is the case with hackey trackey, which I don't use because of the previously mentioned issue.

Like I said, I want to be able to toggle the way step recording works in REAPER, such that I can toggle back and forth between inputting notes on key input for fast note sequences, and the default behavior of inputting notes on key release for chords.

Still waiting for an answer.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
(deactivated)

I'll just assume at this point that what I want just isn't possible without writing a ReaScript. I want to write music, though, not ReaScripts.

Thanks to TonE for trying to help.