Old 08-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
smasha
Human being with feelings

Default Zoom feature like Reason?

Because alot of us haven’t got eyesight like the 6 million dollar man.
Alot of us can’t fit a huge screen on their desktops.

P.S. my perfect DAW would be voice activated but with easy voice commands not the “Reaper language”

80 percent of the stuff in Reaper is so hard to understand because it’s over my head.

Guess I just should stick to playing musical instruments

The engineering stuff is over my head,the routing is a nightmare.

Has anybody made a simplified Reaper with a tool bar you can actually read?

Sorry folks,Reaper is amazing but amazingly daunting at the same time.

Brainy ones will always say “you idiot,it’s easy”

But I will swap brains with you then you will understand and step away from your privelaged position.

The truly smart are the ones who emphasize with the dumb and struggling even when having no idea how hard life is to struggle.
smasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #2
EpicSounds

could you tell us what you like about the Reason toolbars?
Old 08-23-2021, 02:00 AM   #3
Rednroll

Yes it can be done and I'm currently working on a similar beast. Unsure at this time when it will be done.

Yes, the descriptions in the action menu can be confusing and they end up as pop up balloons on top of the custom toolbar buttons. I usually try the action out , find the ones I like, then rename them.

To change those names to something more to your preferences involves going in and editing the names in the "reaper-menu.ini" file after you've created your toolbars. It's something that can be done in a simple text editor, so shouldn't be too difficult if you would like to edit the ones you have.

Here's an example of one of my theme's toolbars. Is this more along the lines of what you're describing? The balloon description names that pop up?

The thing I'm unsure of at this time is since these type of edits take place inside of the reaper-menu.ini file if that can be included as part of the theme package. I'll have to figure something out as I reach that point.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-23-2021 at 02:15 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
smasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Yes it can be done and I'm currently working on a similar beast. Unsure at this time when it will be done.

Yes, the descriptions in the action menu can be confusing and they end up as pop up balloons on top of the custom toolbar buttons. I usually try the action out , find the ones I like, then rename them.

To change those names to something more to your preferences involves going in and editing the names in the "reaper-menu.ini" file after you've created your toolbars. It's something that can be done in a simple text editor, so shouldn't be too difficult if you would like to edit the ones you have.

Here's an example of one of my theme's toolbars. Is this more along the lines of what you're describing? The balloon description names that pop up?

The thing I'm unsure of at this time is since these type of edits take place inside of the reaper-menu.ini file if that can be included as part of the theme package. I'll have to figure something out as I reach that point.
My eyes are pretty bad.
I have been relying on Windows magnifying glass,I make the glass fit the whole screen so my display essentially goes from 1440p to 1080p but because my screen is set at native 1440p,there is some blurryness of the textures.

Reason recently upgraded the textures to be hi res and they have a zoom feature from 100 to 200 percent.

It just makes the whole DAW scale up at what ever percent you set it at but it doesn’t degrade the textures or fonts,everything is crystal clear.

In Reaper I have to press my head up against the monitor to read alot of stuff or toolbars or just menus in some of the plugs.

I guess 95 percent of people who use Daws ,don’t have this problem so I shouldn’t whinge about it but it detracts from making music.

I’ll donate you some money if you make a readable theme.

I’m using blankfile’s ILogic 3.90 at the moment and it is brilliant,I just wish I could scale it up a bit more.

Maybe I should just find a huge TV and mount it on the wall?

Maybe a press of a mouse button to put it into zoom mode,and use the scroll wheel to zoom like a track ir does?

I know Reaper has the sized up theme configurator but some themes are not designed for it.

My hissy fit over.

Last edited by smasha; 08-23-2021 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2021, 04:29 AM   #5
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasha View Post
I've been using a 39" TV as my monitor for about 10 years.
If you can afford $200-$300, this is actually a good option.
This upgrade that will also benefit you with programs other than reaper.
If you look for an older spec 1080p TV instead of a 4K, it will likely be lower cost and still give you better visability.

::
Old 08-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
gxray

Quote:
My eyes are pretty bad.
I have been relying on Windows magnifying glass,I make the glass fit the whole screen so my display essentially goes from 1440p to 1080p but because my screen is set at native 1440p,there is some blurryness of the textures.

Reason recently upgraded the textures to be hi res and they have a zoom feature from 100 to 200 percent.

It just makes the whole DAW scale up at what ever percent you set it at but it doesn’t degrade the textures or fonts,everything is crystal clear.

In Reaper I have to press my head up against the monitor to read alot of stuff or toolbars or just menus in some of the plugs.

I guess 95 percent of people who use Daws ,don’t have this problem so I shouldn’t whinge about it but it detracts from making music.

I’ll donate you some money if you make a readable theme.

I’m using blankfile’s ILogic 3.90 at the moment and it is brilliant,I just wish I could scale it up a bit more.

Maybe a press of a mouse button to put it into zoom mode,and use the scroll wheel to zoom like a track ir does?

I know Reaper has the sized up theme configurator but some themes are not designed for it.

My hissy fit over.
Heya, there's an extension which can upscale the fonts of the entire REAPER UI to whatever size you want.

It only works on Windows as far as I recall -- it intercepts all requests to draw fonts from REAPER, and instead the external plugin program handles it.

(Or this was my understanding at least)

I have tried it, and can confirm it does what it says it does, and can make text huge.

You can find it here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241546

The reason I remember it and bring it up here is because of remembering this post in the thread:

Old 08-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #7
smasha

TY gxray.

I will give it a try.

I believe Reaper has lasoo zoom now also which can be defined by left mouse drag actions.

TY to The Reaper Blog for that tip.

I know I have tried Windows upscaling but it makes things blurrier.

Wonder if we download a hires pack for every element in Reaper so the blurryness is minimal when zooming.

Now I’d pay for a hires pack.

Just have it as an optional thing to keep Reaper’s download low.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
I believe Reaper has lasoo zoom now also which can be defined by left mouse drag actions.
the marquee zoom isn't new, just often overlooked. What's new is that the minimum track height was tweaked. you used to be able to select more tracks than would fit after zoomed. Minor change really.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #9
Brookwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxray View Post
Heya, there's an extension which can upscale the fonts of the entire REAPER UI to whatever size you want...
You can find it here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241546
GAMECHANGER!
Thank you!
Brookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #10
Rednroll

Been getting more and more familiar with Reaper theming. I bet that script will help but will fail in some areas. There are many fonts especially the small ones which are part of the png file images. This is the case with any of the TCP and MCP buttons. I would also mention it is difficult to resize those images without them becoming blurry within Reaper. I tried, they looked awful where I ended up recreating those images in Photoshop, just larger in size than the originals. The majority seem to be 72 dpi png files where when you open them in a photo editor and zoom it turns into a blob of mess. I have found even trying to enlarge some of these buttons and maintaining their aspect ratio they become blurry. Go outside of the original image aspect ratio and the upscale resampling in Reaper is pretty awful. You can see this in the explorer window of the default themes when you check out the transport buttons. There isn't a theming code to ensure those buttons get scaled to a specific aspect ratio. In my theme those buttons look great on the transport but tried to use them in the explorer and they turn to a blurry mess due to the aspect ratio difference. Been working on trying to figure out what that aspect ratio is and create transport buttons specifically at that size for the explorer view transport buttons. My 1st attempt at this was wrong. Lol!

Maybe much of this gets solved with the v6 HiDPI theming but my perspective to solve this issue fully it would need a theme specifically designed from the ground up with intent to make items larger and easier to read. Don't see a script fixing the images which come with pre existing text on them. Menu list and other text lists sure but those aren't even typically the smallest fonts.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-19-2021 at 03:03 PM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote