Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 07-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
pax-eterna
Human being with feelings

Default If one HAS to install WINE, which version?

I have recently acquired a Yamaha Montage, and there is a set of highly regarded 3rd party editing tools that are for windows only...so, although I did not want to go down that path, I may have to consider it...Most of the stuff these apps do CAN be done on the keyboard itself, albeit with a lot of button pushing and tabbing!

So, if I choose to install it, which version of WINE, so called wine-staging or a latest WINE Stable release?
pax-eterna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax-eterna View Post
I have recently acquired a Yamaha Montage, and there is a set of highly regarded 3rd party editing tools that are for windows only...so, although I did not want to go down that path, I may have to consider it...Most of the stuff these apps do CAN be done on the keyboard itself, albeit with a lot of button pushing and tabbing!

So, if I choose to install it, which version of WINE, so called wine-staging or a latest WINE Stable release?
I'm running wine-staging. Some guys have locked a version in, but I'm currently letting mine update.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
JamesPeters

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you a few times, but I use version 6.4 of wine-tkg. Later versions of any Wine have issues with some plugins (and other stuff in Wine in general), for now. Wine-tkg in particular is good because:

1) with Manjaro (or other Arch variants) it's easy to pick whatever version you want from the github and install it by double-clicking on it (and you can see it in the package manager, and remove it from there), and

2) it has some advanced stuff that Wine (stable) and wine-staging doesn't have which can help with performance.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
pax-eterna

Thanks Glennbo and James....

James, if one installs the .tkg, and then later, from pacman, decides on, say, staging, is uninstalling one to install the other needed, and /or wil it create issues?

Oh and yes I daresay you have mentioned it last time I tried Linux, but I more wanted to confirm really, what current thinking was, is all.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #5
JamesPeters

Quote:
James, if one installs the .tkg, and then later, from pacman, decides on, say, staging, is uninstalling one to install the other needed, and /or wil it create issues?
Well, I would remove one before installing the other. That makes sense. They're different branches of Wine, so don't assume you can install one over the other even though it may be ok.

I would advise the same precaution of packages from different branches (not just of Wine but any software) installed via the package manager (from the main repo) too. It's not about getting one package from the github page versus getting one from the main repo as much as it is the fact they're packages from different branches.

The package manager removes wine-tkg (installed from the pkg.tar.zst) as though it had been added by the package manager "normally", because the package manager keeps track of it while it's installing it. So removing it before installing a different version is easy.

I've installed and removed wine-tkg, wine-staging and wine (stable) replacing one with the other, and had no problems with how the packages were managed.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-26-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
pax-eterna

Cool, thanks much James.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
4duhwinnn

You could try the yamaha Montage utilities from a current AVLinux bootable dvd or usbstick, as it comes with wine-staging 6.2 installed.
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #8
pax-eterna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Well, I would remove one before installing the other. That makes sense. They're different branches of Wine, so don't assume you can install one over the other even though it may be ok.

I would advise the same precaution of packages from different branches (not just of Wine but any software) installed via the package manager (from the main repo) too. It's not about getting one package from the github page versus getting one from the main repo as much as it is the fact they're packages from different branches.

The package manager removes wine-tkg (installed from the pkg.tar.zst) as though it had been added by the package manager "normally", because the package manager keeps track of it while it's installing it. So removing it before installing a different version is easy.

I've installed and removed wine-tkg, wine-staging and wine (stable) replacing one with the other, and had no problems with how the packages were managed.
Yes, this seems the sensible way to do things I think - if I do in fact decide I need PC editors for the keyboard...pity yamaha do not provide them for iOS.

EDIT: Here is another example of knowing what is installing, again on Pacman - Odin 2 pacman says it is VST3 LV2 Standalone - do ALL three get installed? How does one know...I mean , I do not want two different types of the same plugin really...

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-27-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Here is another example of knowing what is installing, again on Pacman - Odin 2 pacman says it is VST3 LV2 Standalone - do ALL three get installed? How does one know...I mean , I do not want two different types of the same plugin really...
I would expect that if a standalone was installed, that it would show up on the menu, and to see if VST3 and LV2 got installed fire up REAPER and see if they show up there. Even if you have multiple versions in different formats, they take up little space. I only have the native Linux VSTi version of Odin 2 and it rings in at 56.5 MB.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
pax-eterna

Thanks Glenn...yes that was as I suspected...it offends my sense of "the order of things"

I do like the idea of Pacman keeping track of installs for easy removal later, however it would be nice if it offered installation options

I might need to install manually, at least with multiple version software, I think.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #11
JamesPeters

Pamac.

And, for packages in the main repo, you can look for more info by clicking one of the other buttons, for a particular package, once you click on it in Pamac. "Details" is the default one. "Dependencies" and "Files" are the others. If you're in doubt, click on "Files". Because Odin2 is in the AUR, that won't help in this case, but it would for other packages.

And I'd assume it has all it says it does in the description. There's no reason to assume it won't install all 3.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Thanks Glenn...yes that was as I suspected...it offends my sense of "the order of things"

I do like the idea of Pacman keeping track of installs for easy removal later, however it would be nice if it offered installation options

I might need to install manually, at least with multiple version software, I think.
Fourth link on this page.

https://www.thewavewarden.com/odin2

I just grabbed it and manually extracted only the LV2 folder into my .lv2 folder coz Steinberg can't cause problems in the future with plugins using the open source LV2 standard. It's in its own Odin2.lv2 folder so removing it if I wanted to is as easy as deleting that one folder.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
pax-eterna

Cooly cool, thx!!
Old 07-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #14
pax-eterna

Quote:
.......I use version 6.4 of wine-tkg. Later versions of any Wine have issues with some plugins (and other stuff in Wine in general), for now. Wine-tkg in particular is good because:
Is that -tkg supposed to be -pkg? I cannot find anything like it in pacman. I can see a 6.14 not a 6.4 on the WINE webpage.

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-31-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:23 PM   #15
JamesPeters

Would you expect me to have made the same mistakes describing that version/branch of Wine several times on this thread, not counting all the other times I mentioned it? Using a dash instead of a period, and "tkg" instead of "pkg"? Come on.

Also notice I mentioned getting it from the github page.

Right-click on the text "wine-tkg" and search in your browser. The first link will be the github page for the wine-tkg branch. You'll find various releases you can download (that's what I was referring to in post #3).

A little bit of reading is all that's required. Please don't make me repeat myself countless times in every aspect of everything to do with Linux.

You'd want to download the pkg.tar.zst ones (not the "proton" builds). I'd mentioned this too.

For all I know the latest version of wine-staging in the repo works fine with all plugins anyway. I don't use Wine or Yabridge anymore.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 07-31-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #16
pax-eterna

I see, thank you...when you have as many music (and other) projects as I am running, are in four bands and performing a solo show (not that there are many live gigs these days with COVID prep is still required), writing music for plays etc, on top of the day job, then you might understand, that sometimes, just sometimes, people can forget things, or at least forget one or two VERY minor details, that in the linux world can mean the "kiss-of-death".

I have even written to the software developers, posted on WINE and completed several other self help steps....to seek a little clarification is all that I was after. A sarcastic response really was a bit OTT, plus the included diatribe. A simple "yep, it's defintiely that" would have sufficed!

Anyway, thank you again for all your time. I shall refrain from quoting or asking you any further questioins.

Last edited by pax-eterna; 07-31-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:30 PM   #17
JamesPeters

Also, it's Pamac. The command-line package manager is Pacman. The GUI frontend is Pamac.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:24 PM   #18
lucas_LCS

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this to you a few times, but I use version 6.4 of wine-tkg. Later versions of any Wine have issues with some plugins (and other stuff in Wine in general), for now. Wine-tkg in particular is good because:

1) with Manjaro (or other Arch variants) it's easy to pick whatever version you want from the github and install it by double-clicking on it (and you can see it in the package manager, and remove it from there), and

2) it has some advanced stuff that Wine (stable) and wine-staging doesn't have which can help with performance.
I'm not finding this version.
What site did you download it from or have you updated to a newer version?

::
Old 09-22-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
JamesPeters

You're quoting an old post. Also note that a few posts later, I say "I don't use Wine or Yabridge anymore".

Check the Yabridge readme for information on which version of Wine is best, assuming you're intending to run Windows VST in Linux.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #20
lucas_LCS

Quote:
You're quoting an old post. Also note that a few posts later, I say "I don't use Wine or Yabridge anymore".

Check the Yabridge readme for information on which version of Wine is best, assuming you're intending to run Windows VST in Linux.
Thanks.
Does that mean you recommend Yabridge at this point?

::
Old 09-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #21
JamesPeters

I don't use Windows VST in Linux at all. If I did, I'd use Yabridge. It's the best option in my opinion.