Old 08-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
grinder
Human being with feelings

Default Gaming PC

Any body in the know out there?
What would a gaming PC be like with Reaper and Audio?
If one would be good I would
imagine that outside connections would not be plentiful?
Dependent on Motherboard?
Anybody run one of these type with Reaper?

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Softsynth

Too broad a question. A gaming PC covers a LOT of very different hardware out there.

You may find that the onboard audio is typically better than average on a top grade motherboard - but that could be irrelevant. OTOH SLI graphics capability on a motherboard is needlessly expensive for an audio machine.
A top end gaming PC will likely be designed to run cool and quiet with a good CPU but OTT GPU - again needless expense potentially.

Take each case individually. Some could be fine. Others needless light show bling etc.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Greg Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Any body in the know out there?
What would a gaming PC be like with Reaper and Audio?
If one would be good I would
imagine that outside connections would not be plentiful?
Dependent on Motherboard?
Anybody run one of these type with Reaper?

Grinder
Depends on the machine. Generally speaking though, if the computer can run a high-end game (fps) it'll do just fine with Reaper.
Greg Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
toleolu

I originally built my computer for gaming, don't play games anymore (I totally sucked at it.) but to Softsynth's point, it does kind of border on overkill.

That being said though, you should definitely go with something that uses add on cards for graphics and audio instead of using the motherboard based devices. Embedded graphics and audio place extra overhead on the CPU whereas add on cards have their own microprocessors to handle that load. I've even got add on cards for my nic and firewire. (old Presonus interface is firewire)

You don't need to buy high end cards for graphics and audio either, just something mid range that will take those loads off the CPU.

Spend your money on a good interface, CPU, RAM, and at least 2 SSD drives, one for OS and programs, the other for data.

Also, a clean OS install to remove all the bloat manufacturers tend to include on their systems is a big plus when it comes to performance.

Also, keep in mind how you use Reaper. If your projects are somewhat small, you won't need as much horsepower as you would for much larger projects.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
grinder

The computer would be for a friend you see.
Here in New Zealand gamers sell their kit
at realistic prices so it would be a second hand machine.
musos do tend to be less well heeled.
This guy has an Apple mac pro which I would have laughed at
if he was not a friend he has seen the light though PC next.
He is very good engineering wise though.
Thanks for the ideas and wisdom.

Grinder
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Softsynth

The right machine could be a good value option.
A second hand games machine that hasn't been hammered by overclocking (with knackered fans for instance) could be a good.

My main PC has a decent gaming spec card which is a few years old now (with oversized heatsink and dual fans for quiet operation), older (but still decent) i7 CPU, and a decent audiophile soundcard from a gaming company. I also have a tower CPU cooler than runs much quieter than the stock cooler AND substantially reduces operating temperatures.

So my machine would be fine for both (or at least it would be for slightly old games now).

I also suggest you use a PSU designed for quiet operation. No need for fancy water cooling for nice, low noise operation.

Build with SSDs, and a good older CPU and half decent older GPU designed for quiet running and it should be nice to use and affordable.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
jelloman

These days there really isn't a huge difference between "gaming PCs" and workstation PCs...anything with a hyperthreaded multi-core processor and a good amount of memory should give ample performance for music production, and with careful shopping can be put together for well under 1000.00...

I recently built a new box for my studio based on the last generation of AMD Ryzen...
AMD Ryzen 7-2700 (8 core/16 thread)CPU
32GB DDR4-3000 memory
Gigabyte B450 motherboard
Gigabyte RX570 GPU (slow by current standards but all I need to run a double monitor setup in 1080p)

I opted to go with the last generation instead of Ryzen3 for budgetary concerns, but I do not believe I will run unto performance issues with it for the foreseeable future...
jelloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
grinder

Thanks Guy's

Grinder