COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
mk66
Human being with feelings

Default MAC NINJAM + JACK OS X

Is there anybody who knows why NINJAM for Mac doesn't see JACK OSX drivers?
This would be useful to send audio from any music program (Garageband, Logic, etc...) directly to NINJAM.
mk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
FingerSoup

I believe Jack was only put into Linux sources..... It was a non-dev team mod that added it if I'm not mistaken....
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
mk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerSoup View Post
I believe Jack was only put into Linux sources..... It was a non-dev team mod that added it if I'm not mistaken....
I'm not a programmer but I know that JACK for Mac OS X exists and my audio preferences and garage band see this audio driver. JACK OS X is like a device, like a sound board: I don't understand why NINJAM can see built-in/out device, soundflower drivers... and it can't see JACK OS X. Could you help me?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
FingerSoup

Well, the issue is really with what TYPE of device it appears to be. At least in Windows, ASIO is incompatible with DirectSound, and wrappers need to be developed to allow DirectX programs to interface with ASIO devices. Is Jack OSX seen as an actual physical piece of hardware? if so, does the interface actually follow the spec of a soundflower device, a proper audio card, or is it similar to Linux Jack, where it is a seperate audio routing system that requires hooks in the host program to connect to the jack server?

If Jack appears as a hardware mixer as opposed to a Sound card per se, then that is why it doesn't work with Ninjam. The problem may be with the Jack driver and not with Ninjam at all.

As OSX is built off Unix, I'm assuming the support is similar to Linux, not that of Windows (where you need an ASIO Wrapper to connect anything).
FingerSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
mk66

Thank you, FingerSoup, for your very clear explanation.If I understood correctly, NINJAM has no hooks for JACK OSX, while garageband was projected to see programs like JACK OSX, is it?
The question is: is there the opportunity to add these hooks to NINJAM for Mac in order to allow NINJAM to speak with JACK?
One of the JACK OS X programmers told me that he would verify the opportunity to fix it, but I did not hear him anymore.
Are you interested?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #6
-R.j-

You should check out
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/ninjamplugin.html

just compile it as a stereo plugin so you can use it with Logic/garageband.

I tried the jackosx approach last week but its not a suitable solution for ninjam at least from my experience, i finally got it to send some sound into it but it was very ugly and distorted and most of the time the Jackosx device doesn't even show up.
-R.j- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Torben Scharling

Quote:
Originally Posted by -R.j- View Post
You should check out
http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/ninjamplugin.html

just compile it as a stereo plugin so you can use it with Logic/garageband.

I tried the jackosx approach last week but its not a suitable solution for ninjam at least from my experience, i finally got it to send some sound into it but it was very ugly and distorted and most of the time the Jackosx device doesn't even show up.
Could someone please hook me up with the compiled stereo version of the au plugin, so I can use it in mainstage/logic ? torbenscharling at gmail dot com
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
ghettosynth

Has anyone done any further work on this plugin? I know of the wahjam plugin but I'm specifically interested in this because it seems further along with features that are usable to me. Has anyone thought about adding midi sync to this? Any tests with newer versions of OSX? It seems to work on my system embedded in ableton.
ghettosynth is offline   Reply With Quote