Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Moraha
Human being with feelings

Default Are any of these things possible to do in Reaper?

I haven't had Reaper long enough yet but I've been looking through these forums trying to figure some things out. I'm just stuck on a few things. I'm very used to Adobe Audition and I like some of the different ways it does things that I THINK they're possible to do with Reaper but I'm not sure.

1. Anyway to have the envelopes automatically come up every time I open reaper without clicking the Trim button every time? I like the pan and volume envelopes to show on every track.

2. Is there any possible way to have the right click drag the audio, and left click select? I read this thread and he has a setting on there where you can press Q to do this but it didn't work for me: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=10049

3. Any way to zoom into to a certain part with just putting your mouse over that part and not clicking on it?

4. This may be a bug....when changing settings in the preferences, nothing updates until I close the session and start a new one. For example, I didn't like the envelopes showing under the track. So I went to Preferences and unchecked "Show new envelopes in separate envelope lanes" and clicked Apply then OK. Then when I tested it out, it didn't work until I started a new session.

None of these are really a big deal but these are just the things I'm used to and with all the custom settings that this program allows I'm wondering if these are possible to do. I've looked through the manual for each one of these things but haven't had any luck. There was a few more things that I can't think of right now so I'll probably get back to this thread later.
Moraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

Hello will see what I can do to help..

1- there's a defaults page in prefs that I think you can have envelopes showing by default for new tracks

2- Not sure about that, will check out that thread..

3- you could go to the actions menu (shift and the question mark symbol) and make a custom action. In it you need to have (names are of top of my head so might be wrong)

select item under cursor
zoom to selected item

(if you go here... http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/ and install it you will get some very cool some functions plus lots of other stuff that might help you out)

4- Some of those things won't change current sessions as most people might not want them to but you can do the same thing by selecting the tracks right clicking on the envelope icon on the track and choosing what you want in there.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Moraha

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
3- you could go to the actions menu (shift and the question mark symbol) and make a custom action. In it you need to have (names are of top of my head so might be wrong)

select item under cursor
zoom to selected item
Thanks for your help...that one doesn't seem to work though. So I tried something different and I ALMOST got it but not quite. I chose these actions:

Item: Select item under mouse cursor
View: Move edit cursor to mouse cursor (no snapping)
View: Zoom horizontally (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)

The problem that this causes though is the "Move edit cursor to mouse cursor." When I move my mouse wheel just 1 notch, it goes to the correct spot, but the next notch goes to the wrong spot since my mouse is now not over the original spot that I pointed it at. I would have to move my mouse to wherever the edit cursor is to continue zooming in to the right spot. It's hard to explain but you can try it so you can see what I mean.

Looks like I need a "Horizontal zoom under mouse cursor" unless I can find a way around it.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
musicbynumbers

This might sound stupid but from what you've said..

..have you tried assigning your mouse wheel to zoom?

You can assign the mouse wheel to anything that has "CC" or "wheel" in the action's name.

You can even use modifiers like shift,alt and control (or combinations of these three) along with the mouse wheel for more stuff.

Also the SWS zooms I talked about are toggle based on one button so you get a kind of zoom then zoom undo function by pressing it again
Old 04-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
musicbynumbers

Default THINK I GOT YOU NOW! ;)

In prefs go to "mouse" and change the top drop down menus to mouse.

This means that zooms will be centred around your mouse position NOT your edit cursor

also try hand scroll, I like it better.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #6
Moraha

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
In prefs go to "mouse" and change the top drop down menus to mouse.

This means that zooms will be centred around your mouse position NOT your edit cursor

also try hand scroll, I like it better.
Thanks a lot man...It was actually under "Editing Behavior", not "Mouse" for anyone else that sees this thread.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #7
musicbynumbers

Ah ok cool. Have you got the latest version though? I'm sure they changed menus recently.