Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #161
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Yeah, I understand that, but what better point to change that than a major version release? The script is great and works really well even at this stage, but so much of Reaper seems like a workaround, and it'd be great if it scaled correctly "out of the box".
It does scale correctly out of the box without using the script (if you use +devXX builds, and for Windows you need to set prefs/general/advanced/HiDPI support to be "multimonitor aware", ideally).
Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #162
Bod
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
It does scale correctly out of the box without using the script (if you use +devXX builds, and for Windows you need to set prefs/general/advanced/HiDPI support to be "multimonitor aware", ideally).
Thus proving my point

I used a dev build, but used HiDPI aware, not multimonitor aware. Theme looked great @ 100% but arrange area and plugins were still tiny at 4k res.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #163
djspiritcr

Default I LOVE IT!!

Hi, i know it's only an alpha version but i already love it and use as default theme!
great job!
Old 04-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #164
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
I would like to see the UI scale automatically depending on what DPI and/or res you're using?

I'm looking at Studio One and Ableton Live and they pretty much do it without anyone having to get elbow deep in customization. Obviously, it's nice to have options, but it should look great and usable from the first time it's installed, not after spending an hour figuring out how to select 150%/200% layouts etc.

I'm keeping an open mind regarding this approach as it's early days, but I expected V6 to start to head towards a more intelligent vector-based UI, so I have to confess I'm a bit disappointed.
would like to see this too.the scaling in ableton live is working great.

looking forward to testing this theme out tommorow
Old 04-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #165
musicbynumbers

Just an update here. Most of the things I was missing from preferences (like bar line on selected items and media item tint) are in the theme editor.

I've updated this theme to match what I like but my question to you (White Tie) is if you bring out updates to this theme, I'm guessing all my edits will get wiped right? or will most of the updates now happen through reaper updates and the script you made?
Old 04-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #166
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Is it possible to make it 125 % instead of 150 %. I have a 4k Ultrawide monitor..and 150% looks too big and regular one looks too small...Also the FX button in the TCP is not very visible when you have different colours. I mean its not easy to see weather the track has FX or not...See attached image...Track 3 has FX on it and Track 4 doesn't..Because of the track colours Its not clearly visible weather the track FX is on or Off...

A definite +1 for the inclusion of a 125% mode which would be much appreciated sooner rather than later.

I'm really loving the theme @White Tie & the scripting was a great idea but the default is too small for my 2560x1440 display & 150% is a bit too big. I'm only getting 19 tracks across the mixer & some other elements are just too big & bulky like the transport & some of the track buttons. I know there's a narrow track option in the script but I'd prefer the standard mixer track layout only a bit smaller.

I think you might find 125% being requested a lot as 2560x1440 is a very popular resolution especially for those of us who don't have 20/20 vision & don't want to be squinting at a 4k monitor. 2k is a happy medium.

The work involved in this theme is very much appreciated WT & this would most definitely be my theme of choice if there was a 125% option.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #167
Sleep opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Regarding the Custom Colors. I think it would be more user friendly if the user could make their own palettes simply by pasting in some hex like:

#0468BF #22A2F2 #52B5F2 #5BC6F5 #91E0F2

Adobe color picker makes is so easy to find palettes and then we could use them instead of only have the choices of the author.

https://color.adobe.com/search?q=ocean%20blue

Fantastic idea for those of us who are OCD with our color schemes!
Old 04-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #168
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Just an update here. Most of the things I was missing from preferences (like bar line on selected items and media item tint) are in the theme editor.

I've updated this theme to match what I like but my question to you (White Tie) is if you bring out updates to this theme, I'm guessing all my edits will get wiped right? or will most of the updates now happen through reaper updates and the script you made?
If your edits are done in the "theme tweaker" within Reaper, what it does when you save those changes is to create a separate *.reapertheme file in the colorthemes folder. That *.reapertheme file contains only the information relevant to things that the theme tweaker can manage. It references the *.ReaperThemeZip file upon which it's based, for images and other more complex things which are in a file named rtconfig.txt (within the *.ReaperThemZip archive). If you replace that *.ReaperThemeZip archive with a new one, overwriting it, you can still recall your changes made in that *.reapertheme file. Just make sure that file refers to the correct *.ReaperThemeZip file (if you overwrite a *.ReaperThemeZip with one of the same name, the file with changes you made in the theme tweaker will just use the new *.ReaperThemeZip file for whatever it contains). If you need to edit a *.reapertheme file to "point it" to a specific *.ReaperThemeZip for some reason, just open it in a text editor and edit the line that says "ui_img=*.ReaperThemeZip" and save it.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #169
Stevie

amazing start
Old 04-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #170
musicbynumbers

Nice! thanks for that info. Great to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
If your edits are done in the "theme tweaker" within Reaper, what it does when you save those changes is to create a separate *.reapertheme file in the colorthemes folder. That *.reapertheme file contains only the information relevant to things that the theme tweaker can manage. It references the *.ReaperThemeZip file upon which it's based, for images and other more complex things which are in a file named rtconfig.txt (within the *.ReaperThemZip archive). If you replace that *.ReaperThemeZip archive with a new one, overwriting it, you can still recall your changes made in that *.reapertheme file. Just make sure that file refers to the correct *.ReaperThemeZip file (if you overwrite a *.ReaperThemeZip with one of the same name, the file with changes you made in the theme tweaker will just use the new *.ReaperThemeZip file for whatever it contains). If you need to edit a *.reapertheme file to "point it" to a specific *.ReaperThemeZip for some reason, just open it in a text editor and edit the line that says "ui_img=*.ReaperThemeZip" and save it.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #171
Blankfiles

For my part the theme is visually well succeeded the color, the mixture of grey and black attracts me a lot! but I have to say that I have a little difficulty with the Visual routing, I see the idea but.. otherwise I like the improvements even if I will love new functionality but yes I like very much
Old 04-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #172
nicholas
Scribe

Wow! I think my brain has just exploded.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 PM   #173
Lokasenna

Now that I've had a chance to actually try the theme:

- Love the mixer indents that keep the controls still lined up. Don't think I'll use them, but yay anyway.

- I'm not seeing any option for a small MCP layout with a fader, which seems... weird. V5's small layout is so nice.

- Being able to remove the meter and M/S buttons from the TCP would be really nice.

- The TCP's track name could stand to be larger. With the current font size I can only fit eight characters there with getting a ... in the middle, versus eleven in the MCP.

- The TCP solo button's "active" outline is cut off on the left by the mute button. The mute button's outline goes all the way around, so I assume this is unintentional.

- I genuinely had no idea that the Master track's Stereo/Mono button was a Stereo/Mono button without hovering over it, especially since the image doesn't change when you click it as in V5.

- In the TCP, the input text ("Input 2") is cut off by... something background-colored. Not sure what.

More specific to my skillset, some script suggestions for you. I have absolutely no idea how much experience you have with coding, so apologies in advance if it just comes off like a "no, you have to do things MY way" rant.

- When clicking checkboxes in the grid, the UI doesn't update to reflect the new state until you move the mouse again.

- Escape should probably be an option to close the window. Keycode 27.

- In Lua, variables/functions should generally be declared as local wherever possible, both to eliminate scope issues and for a small performance increase when accessing them. The former obviously doesn't matter in an isolated script, but it's one of those "best practice" things.

- For fonts, you've got a note to go over the choices and sizes for OSX. While you're at it, Linux should also be included. reaper.GetOS() returns Other in that case. Most distros don't come with any of the fonts you've got right now, but Verdana and Tahoma are easily available and commonly installed. If you change the logic to use the OSX branch if the returned OS isn't Windows, there's a decent chance it will work Linux users. The sizes will be better, at any rate.

- A LOT of lines are really, really long. 120 characters is usually considered the maximum any sane person should be hitting, though there are arguments for 100 or even 80. In general, if a line is getting that long it can probably be broken up a fair bit (string literals aside, that is). Just in case you aren't aware, for the most part Lua doesn't give a hoot about line breaks in your code, so you can happily split things at commas or parentheses without any fuss.

- Unused variables, AFAIK: activeTcpLayout, activeMcpLayout, chgsel, mouseStateOld, envcp_LabelMeasureIdx, tcpLayouts, selectedTracks

- Unused arguments: doActivePage's page

- Unused functions: read_ini, getEditPage,

There are probably more here, but my linter gets stuck on everything being declared globally so it's hard to tell.

I also thought a number of other functions weren't being called, then I noticed that you pass them as strings in the action parameter for a number of elements. This isn't really necessary, unless there's something going on that I don't see - you can just say action = myFunction to pass a reference directly. It would avoid confusing my linter, at any rate. :P

- In Spinner:new you're storing the created elements in local variables - this isn't necessary, since those references are never used. Ditto with Swatch:new.

- Rather than a dummy name like tmp for returned values you don't need, the convention is to use _ just to make it clear.

As a whole, the code is pretty messy.

- You've got the elements' methods organized by task, rather than element, so code related to Button requires looking all over the place. For readability, moddability, bug-fixability, etc, I would highly recommend reorganizing it - at a minimum, putting each element's code in one place. Ideally, each class should be a separate module rather than the 1600 line behemoth we find ourselves with.

- Likewise, variables are declared all over the place and used all over the place rather than putting all of the globals at the top. This leaves a lot of room for bugs, confusing behavior, and so on.

I realise that most of my own scripts are guilty of any number of the issues above, but since I've started paying more attention to these sorts of things I've definitely had a much easier time of it, especially when it comes time to fix bugs or add features.

Cheers.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 04-28-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:23 PM   #174
Coachz

https://www.lua.org/pil/4.2.html

Coachz Repo
Old 04-28-2019, 06:32 PM   #175
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Most distros don't come with any of the fonts you've got right now, but Verdana and Tahoma are easily available and commonly installed.
The Linux version of REAPER includes a copy of Liberation Sans and Liberation Mono.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #176
Lokasenna

Got the script to crash, clicking the Gear icon after docking it while viewing the Track page:

Code:
Default_6.0 theme adjuster.lua:185: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value (local 'h')
Old 04-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #177
sievr

My biggest problem with track control panels is that:
- slider in A is up and down
- slider in B and C is left - right
for someone who write a lot of automation with mouse it's confusing...

and please consider adding D type, minimal only number style, I wrote about this there:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204758

please!!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #178
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Mixer Control Panels can now indent tracks based on their folder depth
Love this!
Best of luck with new theme!

(I've been a v5 default theme user all the way)
Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 AM   #179
wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
Well, of course, it's not great for everyone. I myself, though, haven't used any other theme but the default since V4, and even then only for a very short time. So the default has always been the best choice for me.
Me too.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:50 AM   #180
SubbaseDnB

Havent used this theme yet,will later today.good work WT.

one thing where do we need to place the script?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:12 AM   #181
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbaseDnB View Post
Havent used this theme yet,will later today.good work WT.

one thing where do we need to place the script?
just load the script from your Actions window, bottom area "Load"

Coachz Repo
Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 AM   #182
Futur8me

The 150% upscaled looks fantastic on my 5k iMac but the 200% in mixer just makes it larger.., and at 150% when switch back and forth to mixer the mixer is larger for a split second but then goes back to normal scaled size.., and I hope like hell you upscale the master channel and icons and letters and numbers and everything else in Reaper because it all looks so blurry.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 AM   #183
lb0

Quote:

As a whole, the code is pretty messy.
Woah!! Please don't ever look at my code lol.

Actually - I disagree. I've taken a look at the script code after reading your comment and was expecting a large mass of spaghetti all over the place - but apart from a lack of comments (something I'm probably the most guilty of on here - a lot worse than WT) - I think it's incredibly neat code.

And remember though - if using local variables/functions (at global level - when you need project wide scope) - you're limited to 200 or so! So large projects would need these sorted into tables to avoid the hard limit.

Also - local functions need to be declared above any code that might use them - so code listing might need restructuring. And there's probably a whole other bunch of stuff you need to remember or know when using local's instead of globals.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:26 AM   #184
airon

Dear sirs who know what works,

will v6 themes bring with them Includes, as they are in programming ?

I ask because I posted a request just now (link) in the feature request section.

The purpose is to be able to add your own layouts without having to unpack the original theme, naturally at ones own risk. That way any improvements to the original theme can still be enjoyed without having to re-edit the rtconfig.txt and recopy images from the original, etc.

So, is that already in or part of the plan ? Don't be shy.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 AM   #185
Vagalume

Hi WT, thanks so much for this great effort ... I can imagine all the time that you have invested to make things easier for us. Anyway, I haven't read the thread (I don't have ten lives) but I imagine some people might be angry and some people happy as usual. Aesthetically, it is imposible to make all of us happy.

Things that I do like so much: the mcp monitoring icon nice and easy to see in every state. The bars that change the colour when going up or down, easy to see. Custom colours work well.

One thing I would like you to have a look is: size. Inn general, some things seem huge to me, my own personal priority is having as many things as possible in the screen:

- Most controls are too big (to me). An option to make them smaller will be welcome. Besides I believe that route, fx and envelopes have similar shape so aestetically I would find reasonable that they the very same size.

- For those of us who use hundreds of tracks we need the track number a little smalller to read it.

- Tracks are higher now too, so I can see fewer tcp tracks in the screen. An option to have smaller tracks would be nice (to see more tcp tracks).

- Selected tracks, maybe a border in a different colour will make things much easier to read when you have lots of tracks.

- Limits, I would like clearer limits. I miss a border in several zones of the GUI to differenciate them, for example the Envelope. Or in the mixer, to knwo where to drag up and down.

- Though the minimum size of the mixer seems to be the same than in V5 ... something smaller, to have more room to get more tcp tracks in the upper side would be welcome.

- A layout to have smaller mcp tracks would be owesome for those him hundreds of tracks, I would to see more mcp tracks at the same time.

Finally you can a look to the message that says that previous themes don't work:

Last edited by Vagalume; 04-29-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 AM   #186
Geoff Waddington

Thank you WT !!!

Don't usually quote myself, but here's one from 2016-11-22 at the very beginning of the CSI project:
Quote:
I now think the ultimate control surface is a hybrid made up of various phones/pads/fader packs/scrub jog wheels, etc. depending on the user's role at the moment - mixer, editor, post-pro, etc.

So workflow has to be the BIG number 1 with a bullet.

Otherwise why would you spend the money, time, and effort on all this mess

You have to be able to change workflows quickly, perhaps in a way very like the layers on the live digital boards.

Most often the idea would be to remove buttons (ones that are out of context) so that you don't press them mistakenly.

For instance:

example 1: If you are not tracking, the record arm and record buttons just clutter things up, they can and should be hidden, so that they are not inadvertently pressed.

example 2: If you use an Apollo or equivalent, the input monitoring section is generally just clutter, the Apollo console takes care of that chore.
Scriptable themes are the just the ticket for this task, fo' sho'
Old 04-29-2019, 04:00 AM   #187
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
just load the script from your Actions window, bottom area "Load"
ok,so no problem in placing it in Reaper folder?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:06 AM   #188
vitalker

Quote:
Read the first post carefully. There is all the information.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #189
Coachz

Quote:
Scripts typically live in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts

but you can put them anywhere and load them from Actions window

Coachz Repo
Old 04-29-2019, 05:16 AM   #190
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Scripts typically live in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\Scripts

but you can put them anywhere and load them from Actions window
Figured it out

have just tried loading the new theme,and the adjuster,it definatly needs some getting used to,but can see lots of Potentional.

First thing i noticed is,i Agree 100% to the scaling,there needs to be more options.i will have to test this more deeply with a real project

but apart from the scaling thing,i really like this at first glance
Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #191
benf

Hi WT,
Thank you for that nice work.
I totally agree with your management of the GUI definition.
Each Reaper user has its own needs, ways and comprehension of the soft and so, its complains regarding the gui.Anyway, if some people don't like any button look, it's not that hard to replace it with ones they prefer.

The lua script is a very cool idea.
Is it possible to define through it special appearances for folder and VCA tracks ?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:00 AM   #192
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb0 View Post
Woah!! Please don't ever look at my code lol.

Actually - I disagree. I've taken a look at the script code after reading your comment and was expecting a large mass of spaghetti all over the place - but apart from a lack of comments (something I'm probably the most guilty of on here - a lot worse than WT) - I think it's incredibly neat code.

And remember though - if using local variables/functions (at global level - when you need project wide scope) - you're limited to 200 or so! So large projects would need these sorted into tables to avoid the hard limit.

Also - local functions need to be declared above any code that might use them - so code listing might need restructuring. And there's probably a whole other bunch of stuff you need to remember or know when using local's instead of globals.
If you're hitting 200 variables in the top level they *should* be put into a table or, even better, refactored so you don't have 200 of them.

Declaring variables before they're used is also pretty beneficial - Radial Menu is a pain for me to edit specifically because it has top-level globals used before they're declared.

You can obviously write code that works just fine without caring about either of those, but the benefits almost always outweigh the annoyance.

WT specifically said "I have taken great pains to make it easy for future modders and scripters to alter and enhance either part". As is, the script is incredibly hard to modify because you need to know what the entirety of the script is doing before making a change. Proper scoping and not relying on variable hoisting significantly reduces the mental load involved.

To put it another way, Luacheck stopped counting for me at 1000 warnings for things lots of coders think you should strongly consider not doing. I don't mean to be putting myself on a pedestal here by any means - my GUI library isn't much better in this regard, at the moment.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 04-29-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #193
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
If you're hitting 200 variables in the top level they *should* be put into a table or, even better, refactored so you don't have 200 of them.

Declaring variables before they're used is also pretty beneficial - Radial Menu is a pain for me to edit specifically because it has top-level globals used before they're declared.

You can obviously write code that works just fine without caring about either of those, but the benefits almost always outweigh the annoyance.

WT specifically said "I have taken great pains to make it easy for future modders and scripters to alter and enhance either part". As is, the script is incredibly hard to modify because you need to know what the entirety of the script is doing before making a change. Proper scoping and not relying on variable hoisting significantly reduces the mental load involved.

To put it another way, Luacheck stopped counting for me at 1000 warnings for things lots of coders think you should strongly consider not doing.

WT said himself its the first script he made,so i dont see anything wrong in people more experienced with scripting give their opinions,as in the last end will benefit us all.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #194
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Transport - time selection section on the left and tempo on the right could go more to the middle, maybe even be center-aligned with the transport buttons so I don't have to turn my head when searching for them. (25inch screen, 2560px width, sitting at an arm distance)

Agree
Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 AM   #195
SubbaseDnB

stupid Q.

How do you dock the script?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #196
Coachz

Quote:
stupid Q.

How do you dock the script?
click the top right folder looking button

Coachz Repo
Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #197
The-Zeronaut

I just have one simple question:
Will I finally be able to easily mix and match different themes?

Example: use master track in mix window of "X" theme.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #198
SubbaseDnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
I just have one simple question:
Will I finally be able to easily mix and match different themes?

Example: use master track in mix window of "X" theme.

Nope,Dont think so.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #199
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Is there a list of stuff, that can be themed in hidpi/retina already and stuff, that is missing?
We want to go highdpi in our Ultraschall-project as well, but have no idea, how far we could go already.

On vacation for the time being...
Old 04-29-2019, 09:11 AM   #200
SubbaseDnB

dont know if this is a bug,properly im doing something wrong.

i have gone through the settings in the script adjuster Track panel trying to hide the envelopes when tracks not selected,but it wont hide,it still shows on the panel??i only when the trim/env button to show on a track when its selected.
Closed Thread