Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #1001
mschnell
Human being with feelings

You should be able to use a dedicated VST folder somewhere and make that known just to Reaper.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #1002
Rims

Even with Ableton, you have to make a choice: session or arrangement view. Once you commit to playing patterns (session view) then you need a bunch of variation on the pattern to make the track interesting. But once you have a bunch of variations on the same pattern you are eventually better off with a linear timeline.

If you are playing live it is nice to have the flexibility to change patterns or augment patterns on the fly.

Round and round we go, having to make a binary decision, when really you want both.
Some linear tracks and some patterns
Rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #1003
natonative

How is this project going? I'm thinking about making a purchase but I haven't figured this out yet. Are you guys happy with this plugin? Can anybody please describe to me how they are using it?

I'm having a few issues trying to understand. I'm currently reading the manual for the second time and I'm still struggling. I guess the original writer's mother language is not English.
natonative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #1004
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonative View Post
How is this project going? I'm thinking about making a purchase but I haven't figured this out yet. Are you guys happy with this plugin? Can anybody please describe to me how they are using it?

I'm having a few issues trying to understand. I'm currently reading the manual for the second time and I'm still struggling. I guess the original writer's mother language is not English.
Maybe too obvious to even bother stating, but have you checked YouTube? I saw a video that did a good job doing an overview of this.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #1005
Robbie Hogg

Ok. After having issues with sounds glitching while using Playtime a while ago (kind of like a buffering issue), it seems to have stopped happening now.
Not sure why but there has been a few Reaper updates since the last time i used it. Still haven't downloaded V6 yet, going to give it a few months before i download it.

Anyways i am considering getting a launchpad but before i do can anyone tell me if the RGB lights have been integrated to match up with track colours or know if it's planned? Not that it's a deal breaker.
As it appears helgoboss hasn't been here in a while and i find the documentation not answering the question fully.
It does say "Triggering clips with visual feedback is supported on all listed controllers. Features beyond that might not."
Just not sure if that is other features the unit has that may not be supported or if it's any more than just pure visual feed back to show what slot is playing, stopped, recording, etc etc.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #1006
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Hogg View Post
Anyways i am considering getting a launchpad but before i do can anyone tell me if the RGB lights have been integrated to match up with track colours or know if it's planned?
+1
I just wanted to post exactly the same question.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #1007
Piszpan

@Robbie Hogg
@beingmf

RGB is not supported (yet).
See post #586 in this very thread.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:14 AM   #1008
colonelporridge

new to playtime, for some reason my default state is one shot, instead of being loop, this is annoying as i have to convert each item to a loop everytime. I also cant seem to fins a contact for the developer.
colonelporridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #1009
Robbie Hogg

@coloelporridge
You might be able to get in contact via info@helgoboss.org found it at the bottom of the manual.

@Piszpan Cheers.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #1010
colonelporridge

Quote:
@coloelporridge
You might be able to get in contact via info@helgoboss.org found it at the bottom of the manual.

@Piszpan Cheers.
Thanks a million man
colonelporridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #1011
Tom Davids

I have to say, after a decent amount of time looking into this plugin and trying different stuff... This thing is awesome! I love it - makes composing so much more enjoyable! Well done to the creator.
Tom Davids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:08 AM   #1012
Robbie Hogg

So i lashed out today and got a Launchpad.
Haven't had the chance to spend much time with it yet, but so far Playtime with one of these babys seems freaking awesome!!!
Just hope an update eventually happens that gives RGB feedback.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:01 AM   #1013
Handiworks

Default Sweet!

Just posted a request for anyone using this lol... should have searched a little more.

I don't have time to read the entire thread... I have the 2nd version of the Launchpad, how is Playtime working for everyone?

I'm new to Reaper and like my Sig states, I've used everything else pretty extensively but mostly Logic, Live, and Studio One. Studio One and Live being my favorites.

Thanks for the thoughts, what a great community this seems to be... that alone may be worth the switch.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #1014
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper Forums !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiworks View Post
I don't have time ...
I'm new to Reaper .
Bad combination

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 12-30-2019 at 12:48 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:26 PM   #1015
Handiworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

Bad combination

-Michaeö
Lol, I was thinking the same thing as I was typing this!
Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #1016
hits_of_sunshine

It works fine with Launcpad2.
Track colors are not reflected though.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #1017
pbognar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post

Bad combination

-Michael
!!!!

Last edited by pbognar; 12-30-2019 at 02:58 PM.
pbognar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #1018
Rims

Default Rearoute

Launchpad is designed for Ableton
Ableton lite comes free with launchpad
It makes more sense to use Ableton with reaper via rearoute
That gives you the added benefit of simultaneous session and arrangement views while launchpad works as designed
Old 12-31-2019, 05:42 AM   #1019
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rims View Post
Launchpad is designed for Ableton
Ableton lite comes free with launchpad
It makes more sense to use Ableton with reaper via rearoute
That gives you the added benefit of simultaneous session and arrangement views while launchpad works as designed
Hm, I never thought of that.....
Have you got this working?
In wich manner do you use this combination?
Could one use this for live purposes?

Greetz
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #1020
Rims

Yes.
The audio interface for Ableton is ReaRoute (see the ReaRoute wiki for detailed set up)

The basic idea:
Ableton Tracks send audio---> ReaRoute <---- Reaper Tracks receive audio
Reaper send clock---> Loopbe1 <--- Ableton receive clock

If on Windows install the free LoopBe1 virtual midi interface to sync the daws. It is a tiny app that is always running in the system tray
Mac has an equivilant virtual midi interface built in.
I have reaper as the master

When you get it going and you plug launchpad into Ableton , launchpad is all configured and ready to go.
Also you can use all your VSTs in either daw.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 PM   #1021
Robbie Hogg

From what i have read i thought Ableton lite is limited to only 16 tracks though?
If not i will be giving this a go.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #1022
Robbie Hogg

Anyone here tried using auto quantizing on record notes with playtime on Reaper V6.XX.
I was using it with V5.99 and i thought it was working but in V6.XX it doesn't seem to be working.
Either that or my playing has just got really sloppy since the update. Lol!!
Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #1023
beingmf

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶V̶S̶T̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶W̶o̶r̶k̶e̶r̶.̶d̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶(̶W̶h̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶J̶S̶?̶)̶
̶R̶e̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶5̶.̶9̶8̶4̶,̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶7̶x̶6̶4̶ ̶S̶P̶2̶
̶
̶E̶D̶I̶T̶:̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶B̶e̶n̶j̶a̶m̶i̶n̶ ̶(̶h̶e̶l̶g̶o̶b̶o̶s̶s̶)̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶p̶r̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶m̶o̶o̶t̶h̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶.̶

Playtime is fantastic!

One question though: Has anyone managed to switch the Trigger Modes via Midi/ReaLearn?

Last edited by beingmf; 01-09-2020 at 09:54 AM.
beingmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #1024
Tom Davids

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶r̶e̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶V̶S̶T̶ ̶p̶a̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶a̶n̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶W̶o̶r̶k̶e̶r̶.̶d̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶l̶d̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶(̶W̶h̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶J̶S̶?̶)̶
̶R̶e̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶5̶.̶9̶8̶4̶,̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶7̶x̶6̶4̶ ̶S̶P̶2̶
̶
̶E̶D̶I̶T̶:̶ ̶E̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶B̶e̶n̶j̶a̶m̶i̶n̶ ̶(̶h̶e̶l̶g̶o̶b̶o̶s̶s̶)̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶g̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶u̶l̶p̶r̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶O̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶R̶e̶a̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶o̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶P̶l̶a̶y̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶s̶m̶o̶o̶t̶h̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶f̶a̶r̶.̶

Playtime is fantastic!

One question though: Has anyone managed to switch the Trigger Modes via Midi/ReaLearn?
Hey, I have, no problems, works fine. I'll trigger back and fourth from immediate to next measure to next beat using my mpd
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #1025
Tom Davids

I need to find a way to force playtime to begin recording immediately when any sign of an audio or a midi signal appears. Any body know?
Old 01-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #1026
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Davids View Post
Hey, I have, no problems, works fine. I'll trigger back and fourth from immediate to next measure to next beat using my mpd
Ah, yes, I was referring to the "Trigger Mode" setting where you can switch between the 3 record>play>stop functions.
But it is likely a preference (hence unchangeable within a project) setting.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #1027
Tom Davids

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Ah, yes, I was referring to the "Trigger Mode" setting where you can switch between the 3 record>play>stop functions.
But it is likely a preference (hence unchangeable within a project) setting.
There does seem to be an option called 'trigger action' in the parameter learn list.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:07 PM   #1028
themixtape

It's January 31st, 2020, and three new dope Launchpads were released:

Launchpad X
Launchpad Mini MK3
Launchpad Pro MK3

Is there any way to have these lovely guys work with Playtime? With LED feedback, too?

Surely there's got to be a way to get them working... I just don't know how. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #1029
Earthwalker

Default APC Key25 on Linux.

Hello! I bought playtime last year and have enjoyed it thoroughly on my windows machine. I recently had to switch everything over to my linux computer bc my windows PC failed me. There is no linux version of Playtime on the site and I cant seem to get it to work though wine, carla, linvst, nor airwave. Is there by chance an experimental linux version I could try or is there a linux release coming? I absolutely loved using it since I bought it and I fully support Helgoboss and Playtime. I am in dire need of a linux version for my live sets that I do and this was the answer to all my issues for live performance. If there is any way to even get some code for it to compile it myself would be fine too. Please let me know if I can help in any way on getting a linux distro out there. Thank you so much!
Earthwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #1030
billybuck

Quote:
From what i have read i thought Ableton lite is limited to only 16 tracks though?
If not i will be giving this a go.
I think Ableton Lite is limited to 8 tracks and 8 "scenes". Intro ($99) is limited to 16.

I've been playing around with Lite, as it came free with an Arturia keyboard. It's an excellent composing tool, particularly for primarily electronic music, and much simpler to add tracks, route, send, automate, etc. Even after more than a decade of using Reaper, I find Ableton simpler and more intuitive to get up and running quickly, to jot down ideas. It just works. I don't find myself running to the forums or tutorial vids as often as I do with Reaper.

That said, Reaper is far more of a "finesse" tool and vastly more expandable and configurable. I will definitely continue to use it for tracking live sessions, regardless of whether I stick with Ableton for "one guy and a MIDI controller" projects.

I'm considering Playtime as a best-of-both-worlds option, but there you get into back into Reaper's more complex routing, made more complex by the plugin. I'm interested to see how it develops.

Last edited by billybuck; 02-04-2020 at 06:14 PM.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #1031
xav

Is there any way to change tempo triggering a new scene?

I definitely would like to switch from Ableton ! I think this program could be very popular.
xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #1032
billybuck

I must be missing something here. For me, one of the biggest benefits of Ableton's session view is the ability to easily record a new pattern into a slot while others are looping, so for example you can hear how a pad fits over a bass part, etc. I find this very difficult to do in Playtime. When I record directly into slot, I have to hit record and stop at *exactly* the right moment, because if I let it run a beat too long, I can't get back to the pattern to chop or otherwise edit it, as in Ableton. It disappears from the timeline and I don't see anything in Playtime's right-click context menu allowing me to edit what I just recorded.

I can set up new tracks outside of Playtime, record and edit as usual, and then drop them into PT's slots for triggering, no problem there. But that seems like it's defeating the purpose.

Is Playtime designed more as just a triggering device rather than a composer? FWIW, I'm a native Reaper user and have only fooled around briefly with Live Lite, but I did like the workflow of session view, which is what brought me to PT.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #1033
themixtape

Good news for all owners of Launchpad X and Launchpad Mini MK3....

The firmware update 1.4 allows for "Legacy" mode, which will make either Launchpad work like any older one that IS supported by Playtime (Launchpad Mini, Launchpad MK2, etc).

The only thing that sucks is... clip filled: white- clip about to play: green, clip playing: green... clip about to stop: orange.

I don't know how to easily change this (you have to edit the JSON file with Notepad++ or something and dig through the Programmer's Guide for the original Launchpads), or have the newer Launchpads reflect at least close to the track / clip colors (like Ableton does) which doesn't seem possible.

But, the newer Launchpads WORK with it! Tested with my Launchpad X and Launchpad Mini MK3.

Would love it if Helgoboss would continue SUPPORT for this thing..... thanks!

Last edited by themixtape; 02-15-2020 at 07:17 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #1034
billybuck

I may have found part of the reason for my "recording into a clip is harder than peeling a marble" woes a couple of posts up. Due to a series of previous projects recorded off the grid, I had changed my default project time base to "time" instead of "beats, measures, etc" which I'm thinking may have been keeping Playtime from rounding recorded clip lengths up to the nearest measure. Haven't had sufficient time to test this theory yet.

Either way, it occurs to me that Reaper's MIDI editing window, while it may ultimately offer more finesse than DAW's like Ableton, is not as well-suited to a loop-recording workflow. Reaper loops are much easier edited on the timeline, and Playtime somewhat complicates this.

In Ableton's session view, you go into record on a slot while your other clips are looping, and you can then, for example, keep rolling while you make, say, three sequential passes at recording your riff. When you're finished, the MIDI editing window pops up, you drag a couple of snap markers to the beginning and end of your best attempt at the riff. If you accidentally started your riff on beat 3 instead of 1, no problem, drag it over a couple notches. Boom, you've got a loop, and you're now quickly on to create the next one.

Without Playtime, Reaper can also function pretty much like this, as you can drag the beginning and end of your midi item on the timeline to just your successful attempt, and then glue it to make a loopable item. But in the context of Playtime's recording function, you get Reaper's midi editing window, which isn't really designed to excel with loops. Your only tool to set a beginning marker (unless I'm missing something) is to find the exact beat where your successful attempt begins, and then use some math and pull-down menus to tell Playtime to "only use the part of this item that starts at at beat X and continues for Y measures."

The alternative is just to chop the recorded event on the timeline, normal Reaper style, but then your clip slot disappears from Playtime and you have to re-import the midi event back in. (In my case, it seems to sometimes pop back in on a different track, too, even when I've specified the slot column is dedicated to a specific track). This seems a little fiddly and non-conducive to a composing workflow. My hands spend far more time on the mouse than on the midi keyboard.

From reading this thread and watching three vids of Playtime in use, it looks like most are quite successfully using it primarily as a triggering device for loops recorded and tweaked outside of PT and then imported into it. It's definitely a valuable tool for arranging, but I'd argue that without a simpler way to record and edit items in place, it's missing half of what makes Ableton's session view such a quick and intuitive way to compose.

Last edited by billybuck; 02-16-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:25 AM   #1035
dalim.biswas

Default SESSION VIEW

There is no update yet its been a year.Does it have midi clip or step sequencer function.Overall its a great plugin for better workflow .
dalim.biswas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #1036
TVbene

Hey,
I just asked over in the control surface integration (CSI) if there is some interest in contributing to a script for Playtime. This way we could use Playtime's controller support and add the functions CSI offers, like multiple functions per pad with modifier keys or auto-mapping to a plugin. Could also be easier to add unsupported controllers, if MST files for CSI already exist for them.
So I'd be very pleased if some of you would talk about their opinions there or here, I'm honestly not an expert for Playtime but I use it a lot for live looping and I'm really missing some functions from the GUI on my Launchpad Mini:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....81#post2252081
TVbene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 PM   #1037
Preaper

Noticed a few great plugins are Windoze only. And so is this beast. Starting to think it's time to go back to M$.
Preaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #1038
simonluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaper View Post
Noticed a few great plugins are Windoze only. And so is this beast. Starting to think it's time to go back to M$.
? I'm on mac and just bought it.

By the way, question: i didn't find a way to Midi Learn "Show Track Fx". It's a little bit cumbersome to right click and select....
Is there a simpler way? A Shortcut? An action?
Old 04-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #1039
Robbie Hogg

Hey there all.
Been doing a lot of projects with Playtime lately, mostly live jam style stuff and am loving it. Using a Launchpad MKII as the controller.
I have an idea that i would like to do and that is bring a few projects together and try to put together a live set.
Just after advice on what people think would be the best path to go down with bringing projects together in the Playtime environment?
Old 05-01-2020, 02:52 AM   #1040
sir Nowt

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonluca View Post
i didn't find a way to Midi Learn "Show Track Fx".
There's an script by Lokasenna... 'Track selection follows item selection'. When running, and if 'Auto-select mode' is enabled in Playtime's preferences, selecting a clip in a slot will select the corresponding track. Then all you need is to link a button to trigger an SWS action, or other, like for example... 'show FX chain for selected tracks'.

Remember any Reaper action/process that can be carried out on selected items can be assigned to a button/shortcut, things like 'transpose selected MIDI items up/down and octave/semitone' for quick on-the-fly variations.

I've been using 'live configs' to select/deselect/arm/unarm/float fx/etc, ensuring the armed track I'd like playtime to record the clip on is the uppermost armed (and record input enabled) track, into whichever slot I choose to record into (as opposed to designating a whole group to a single track).
sir Nowt is offline   Reply With Quote