Old 11-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
worldwideweary
Human being with feelings

Default Scripts of the built-in actions

Hello,
Getting back into learning a little more thoroughly DAW functionality, specifically in Reaper, and wondering if Reaper's built-in actions that are found in the Actions search are available as lua code? If so, some of the actions would be worth studying to learn a bit of how it works (without reading manuals, haha). Thanks for any response.

P.S. I wanted to take the code for instance of [Edit: Reverse selected events] in the Midi Editor so I could potentially implement a "Inverse CC events" rather than do a workaround of converting into track envelopes, inverting, then reconverting back again as found here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227124
worldwideweary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Lokasenna

The native actions are written in C++, so they don't exist in Lua form anywhere.

Writing them yourself in script form is a great way to practice, if nothing else. Just FYI a script will almost always be significantly slower, but unless you're working with a lot of items/events/tracks/etc. we're still talking "runs pretty much instantly".

As for what you want to do, that workaround is a really awkward way of doing things because it uses only native actions - it's effectively a custom action rather than a script. A script can just get all of the events, filter out which ones are CCs, and directly set their values.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
worldwideweary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
that workaround is a really awkward way of doing things because it uses only native actions
Yeah, I wrote as much in the paragraphs of that post, but had to use a script because of the dual use of [main + midi editor] actions. I suppose I'll try to find a similar non-native script that does something basic to figure it out, and "quite frankly," I'm surprised that there isn't a lua script already out there to invert cc values. Thanks for replying about the code being c/c++.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Lokasenna

I've just uploaded Lokasenna_Invert selected CC event values to ReaPack; should be available in a few minutes.

As I suggested, it's a lot more straightforward to do when we don't have to fiddle with native actions. Here's the code with some extra comments:
Code:
local editor = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetActive()
if not editor then return end

local take = reaper.MIDIEditor_GetTake(editor)
if not take then return end

reaper.Undo_BeginBlock()

-- This loop structure keeps asking Reaper for the next selected
-- CC event until Reaper says there aren't any more.
local ccIdx = -1
while true do
  ccIdx = reaper.MIDI_EnumSelCC(take, ccIdx)
  if ccIdx == -1 then break end

-- msg3 is the CC value
  local _, _, _, _, _, _, _, msg3 = reaper.MIDI_GetCC(take, ccIdx)

reaper.MIDI_SetCC(take, ccIdx, nil, nil, nil, nil, nil, nil, 127 - msg3, true)
end

-- For performance reasons, it's better to tell Reaper not to do
-- any sorting while we loop through the events and then sort them
-- all at once afterward
reaper.MIDI_Sort(take)

-- Hack to make Reaper recognize that the item was altered so we
-- get a correct Undo point
local item = reaper.GetMediaItemTake_Item(take)
reaper.SetMediaItemSelected(item, false)
reaper.SetMediaItemSelected(item, true)

reaper.Undo_EndBlock("Invert selected CC event values", 4)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #5
worldwideweary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Here's the code with some extra comments.
Hey thanks for taking the time. Hopefully others will also have a use case for inverting CC events (i.e. contrary motions of two cc lanes) and use this script.

As was imagined, the algorithm is super simple, just 127-the value of a CC in a selection, cycled through the whole selection of current lane. Makes the previous custom action obsolete in a 'good way'.