Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 01-12-2022, 04:16 PM   #2041
Jaradical
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss View Post
Not sure if it possible with Reaper. You need to have Reaper as the master. You can try if the SL receives MIDI clock messages sent via the ports 3, 4 or 5.
Hey, thanks! I actually sent Reaper's clock to port 1 and now the SL's sequencer will start when I hit record - nice one.

Now I'm trying to record some track automation with the ReaControlMIDI plugin. I mapped the desired CC and have the envelopes set to write mode, and the values change when I turn the encoders on the SL or when the its sequencer changes them, however it never gets written when I hit record. I've also tried to detect it via MIDI/OSC Learn - and nothing is showing up in the command box when I turn the encoder on the SL. The learn box does mention that the MIDI device must be enabled and set to "control" in preferences - but I can't do that because DrivenByMoss owns the device. It also mentions that an OSC device must be enabled for learn bindings - but there doesn't appear to be an option for that in the DrivenByMoss config. Any idea how to record CCs sent by the SL?

Cheers
Jaradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:59 AM   #2042
digiMedia

Default APCmini session view

I don't know if I have everything installed well,
but in the session view (APCmini), the playing clips are not glowing green.
digiMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:59 AM   #2043
funkster1

Default ZeRO SL Mk II ?

Hi Jürgen,

Since DBM supports most of the Novation controllers, does the ZeRO SL MkII work? Just asking before going through hoops to try ...

Many thanks,

Ralf
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:40 AM   #2044
petergreeny

Hi Moss - any progress on the idea of adding an automation bypass per track using the Read/Off button on MCU? This has been the biggest workflow killer over here.
petergreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #2045
Jaradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaradical View Post
Hey, thanks! I actually sent Reaper's clock to port 1 and now the SL's sequencer will start when I hit record - nice one.

Now I'm trying to record some track automation with the ReaControlMIDI plugin. I mapped the desired CC and have the envelopes set to write mode, and the values change when I turn the encoders on the SL or when the its sequencer changes them, however it never gets written when I hit record. I've also tried to detect it via MIDI/OSC Learn - and nothing is showing up in the command box when I turn the encoder on the SL. The learn box does mention that the MIDI device must be enabled and set to "control" in preferences - but I can't do that because DrivenByMoss owns the device. It also mentions that an OSC device must be enabled for learn bindings - but there doesn't appear to be an option for that in the DrivenByMoss config. Any idea how to record CCs sent by the SL?

Cheers
I found a kind of hacky way to make this work by not giving DBM the second MIDI input. Then I can enable that device in Reaper and still record the MIDI sequence along with the automation data. I'm not sure if it has any negative consequences yet, I'm doing fairly simple stuff, so YMMV.

Cheers
Jaradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #2046
moss

DrivenByMoss 15.4.0 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Fire
    • New: In Mix mode Mute/Solo 1 moves the play cursor to the start of the arranger loop and Mute/Solo 4 moves the play cursor to the end of the arranger loop.
    • New: In Mix mode the select knob does now change the play position.
  • Launchpad
    • New: Improved virtual faders for stepped values.
  • MCU
    • Fixed: Wrong setting label Use vertical zoom to change tracks but must be Use vertical zoom to change modes. Documentation was wrong, too.

(same features with Reaper)

Enjoy!
moss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:41 PM   #2047
drewyeah

Default reaper_host_x86_64 issue

First off thank you so much for making this. Its absolutely amazing that one person put in all this work so thank you.

I've noticed an issue with reapers bridged plugin host for macs with the m1 chip. With DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper running, when I select a track that has a bridged instrument plugin, then Reaper gets bogged down almost to the point of freezing. The lag is gone as soon as the track with the bridged plugin is not selected anymore. The problem only seems to happen with bridged instrument plugins. When an fx plugin that is not looking for midi is on the selected track, then everything seems to work fine. And with all apple silicon supported plugins, everything seems to work fine as well.

in the logging window I'm also getting this message:
"Failed reading color palette entry #115. Gave up after 10 retries. Check selected MIDI in-/outputs."

MacBook Pro 2021 M1 Pro chip, macOS 12.1
Reaper 6.46 ARM version
Push 2
drewyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:56 PM   #2048
mks

Have you implemented touch mode automation for FX parameters by any chance with your tool? It is apparently possible, though I haven't been able to figure out how others are implementing this (through Reapers own OSC interface or other third party tools).
mks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:25 AM   #2049
Hank(ITA)

Hi
JUst installed,I like it.Is there a way to auto float the FX selected via the MCU?
I remember it was possible in an old Klinke,I think it would be very useful to me.
Thank you
Hank(ITA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:53 AM   #2050
Hank(ITA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank(ITA) View Post
Hi
JUst installed,I like it.Is there a way to auto float the FX selected via the MCU?
I remember it was possible in an old Klinke,I think it would be very useful to me.
Thank you
Ok,self solved.

Is there a way to have the selected FX(trough MCU BANK button) auto floating and close the previous one?

I mean,while you browse the plugins on the selected track with the MCU BANK buttons,every plugin floating window opening automatically,and at the same time closing the previous plugin window?Maybe it is already possible and I didn't find how?
Thank you
Old 02-05-2022, 06:53 AM   #2051
Hank(ITA)

Anyone?
Old 02-05-2022, 10:15 AM   #2052
jwoller

Default Auto float and others

Quote:
Anyone?
The possibility of an auto float of plugins selected through MCU would be a welcome addition. It would be helpful if that feature was able to be toggled on or off.

I use an Icon Qcon G2 and being able to step through plugin parameters on the Icon display is really productive and quick for me. My concern would be that auto floating each plugin as I step through them could really slow things down waiting on the plugins to open and close, or cause stability issues.

Moss - Thank you for all the work you have done for all of us! My G2 with an extender is perfectly implemented now and it has helped me mix the way I prefer. Can't say thank you enough!!!!
jwoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:46 AM   #2053
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyeah View Post
I've noticed an issue with reapers bridged plugin host for macs with the m1 chip. With DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper running, when I select a track that has a bridged instrument plugin, then Reaper gets bogged down almost to the point of freezing. The lag is gone as soon as the track with the bridged plugin is not selected anymore. The problem only seems to happen with bridged instrument plugins. When an fx plugin that is not looking for midi is on the selected track, then everything seems to work fine. And with all apple silicon supported plugins, everything seems to work fine as well.
Sorry, no idea. You can check if the option "Disable track chunk" in the Debug menu is active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewyeah View Post
in the logging window I'm also getting this message:
"Failed reading color palette entry #115. Gave up after 10 retries. Check selected MIDI in-/outputs."
You can ignore that, the Push 2 is sometimes a bit picky accepting sysex messages.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:48 AM   #2054
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mks View Post
Have you implemented touch mode automation for FX parameters by any chance with your tool? It is apparently possible, though I haven't been able to figure out how others are implementing this (through Reapers own OSC interface or other third party tools).
Automation Touch mode is only supported for volume and panorama (limitation of the Reaper CSI API).

See section 3.2 in the manual for all known issues.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:51 AM   #2055
moss

Quote:
Hi
Thank you
Floating state of the windows can be set extensively in the Reaper settings. On the "Plug-ins" page you should find all the options you asked for.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #2056
Hank(ITA)

Quote:
Floating state of the windows can be set extensively in the Reaper settings. On the "Plug-ins" page you should find all the options you asked for.
Hi Moss and thank you.
Yes,I tried,but the "selected fx" doesn't follow the fx selected via the MCU.
I mean,let's say "auto-float selected fx" is on,the auto-floating doesn't follow the effect I am selecting via "bank" buttons on the MCU.
As I said it will be awesome to have the possibility to have the fx you are selecting via the "bank" button auto floating,and when you continue pressing the Bank button the new fx auto floats and at the same time the previous fx window closes automatically.
Obviously,being able to toggle on and off this feature.

Keep up the good job!

EDIT: I know I can float the selected fx by pressing "MCU AUDIO TRACKS" every time,but having it done automatically would be a bliss
Old 02-08-2022, 06:33 AM   #2057
moss

Quote:
Hi Moss and thank you.
Yes,I tried,but the "selected fx" doesn't follow the fx selected via the MCU.
I mean,let's say "auto-float selected fx" is on,the auto-floating doesn't follow the effect I am selecting via "bank" buttons on the MCU.
As I said it will be awesome to have the possibility to have the fx you are selecting via the "bank" button auto floating,and when you continue pressing the Bank button the new fx auto floats and at the same time the previous fx window closes automatically.
Obviously,being able to toggle on and off this feature.

Keep up the good job!

EDIT: I know I can float the selected fx by pressing "MCU AUDIO TRACKS" every time,but having it done automatically would be a bliss
OK, got your point. I will put it on my TODO list to test this but not sure if this can be changed.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #2058
Hank(ITA)

Quote:
OK, got your point. I will put it on my TODO list to test this but not sure if this can be changed.
Thank you sir!
Old 02-11-2022, 07:24 AM   #2059
Wills01

Default Faderport V2

Hi jurge
I am newbe in your tool usage… i just want to know what « add » i have to select for faderport V2 and i don’t really understand how to assign an action to a button with your tool. I currently do that directly in the action windows with shortcut… but is it the good way to do that ? Thank you in advance for your answer..
Old 02-12-2022, 07:08 AM   #2060
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills01 View Post
Hi jurge
I am newbe in your tool usage… i just want to know what « add » i have to select for faderport V2 and i don’t really understand how to assign an action to a button with your tool. I currently do that directly in the action windows with shortcut… but is it the good way to do that ? Thank you in advance for your answer..
I do not own that device, so I cannot give you 100% exact information.

Basically, you have 2 options:
1) Use the Mackie Control Protocol (MCU)
2) Use the Generic Flexi, which allows you to map any MIDI to certain Reaper functions

2nd option requires a bit of knowledge about MIDI, see my tutorials on my Youtube channel, if you want to try this route.

I would suggest to try the MCU first. As a start you can select the Behringer X-Touch One, which has also only 1 controller. Then disable the display since the Faderport doesn't have one.

See the DrivenByMoss manual and the tutorial video linked on the download page for detailed installation instructions.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #2061
Vincent Sermonne
Petit manitou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills01 View Post
Hi jurge
Old 02-13-2022, 03:54 AM   #2062
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Sermonne View Post
image deleted
Ah, you were talking about assigning an action to the function keys.
Yes, this is a feature that is intended to be used :-)
Not sure what your question is, is it not working?
Old 02-14-2022, 01:27 PM   #2063
Mongoose

Default Installing DivenByMoss

Help!!! When installing DrivenByMoss (windows 10) and attempt to configure in the "Control Surface Settings" window, I am informed that it could not locate "reaper_fxfolders.ini" and "reaper_jsfx.ini". I have looked all over my hard drive for these files and I can not locate them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to assume these files are needed, so I am reluctant to go any further in the installation. Thanks!!!

After thinking things over, I realized I haven't used any js plugins, so.....I loaded one up and the "reaper_jsfx.ini" file was created. I just edited my post so if anyone else has the same "problem" then here is the answer. I now have DrivenByMoss installed and running and so far am very pleased. The reason I decided to give it a try is because I have a Novation Zero SLMKII and have spent several days trying to get Automap to remap my pan from the rotary knobs to the row of knobs beneath the rotary knobs with no luck. I could get the knobs remapped in Automap and they responded in the Automap GUI, however had no effect on my pans in Reaper. Hope this helps anyone looking for a solution to the same problem.

Last edited by Mongoose; 02-14-2022 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Found The Answer
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #2064
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Help!!! When installing DrivenByMoss (windows 10) and attempt to configure in the "Control Surface Settings" window, I am informed that it could not locate "reaper_fxfolders.ini" and "reaper_jsfx.ini". I have looked all over my hard drive for these files and I can not locate them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to assume these files are needed, so I am reluctant to go any further in the installation. Thanks!!!
It is just a warning. These files are created by Reaper when you once opened the plugin browser and clicked on the respective item on the left (JS plugins and user folders).
Old 02-14-2022, 03:05 PM   #2065
moss

DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 15.5.0 is online!

• Requires Reaper 6.12+
  • All devices
    • New: Added editor for parameter mapping of devices.
    • New: Selecting a device, selects does now select it in the device chain.
    • New: Improved speed of opening browser.
    • New: Replaced colored buttons with icons.

Enjoy!
Old 02-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #2066
petergreeny

Quote:

• Requires Reaper 6.12+
  • All devices

Enjoy!
This is excellent, thanks. One issue that could be addressed:

- those of us with Mackie MCU + 2 extenders, Page 2 and 3 of plugin parameters are not automatically displaying across the three devices, the pages are only scrollable on the first MCU unit's 8 windows
Old 02-15-2022, 02:40 PM   #2067
flipotto

Quote:

• Requires Reaper 6.12+
  • All devices

Enjoy!
Awesome - I watched the video, I am very excited about this.
I have dbm on two computers.
If I make several plugin maps on one computer, how can I share it with the other computer with dbm on it?
Or - where is the plugin map we create stored, so I can copy it to other computer?
Thank you very much for this!
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #2068
themixtape

I'd love to know this as well--- how to save the parameter maps on different computers, as I have a similar setup.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #2069
jwoller

[QUOTE=moss;2527095]DrivenByMoss 4 Reaper 15.5.0 is online!

• Requires Reaper 6.12+
  • All devices

Thanks Moss! You are legendary!

I am really excited about the parameters option and can't wait to try it!

One thing I have been doing which works nicely with FX is using your Function Key options and I map it to the individually open/close the gui of plugin action in Reaper.

I have a QCon Pro G2 which had 8 Function keys. There are 5 available in DrivenByMoss to map those actions to.

Thought I would share how I do it with an Icon G2. It allows me to use the rotary knobs in the FX pages and open and close 5 plugins gui quickly with the function keys.

If any Icon user needs help I am glad to assist them
jwoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:08 PM   #2070
petergreeny

Hi Moss - for sometime the following issue has been occurring with my behringher x-touch MCU using Moss for Reaper OSX:

- physical dedicated master fader (9th fader) on control surface drops to minus infinity while software master in Reaper stays at unity, so sound is still playing, but have to push master fader back up and software then follows it as one returns it to unity. happens upon pressing playback, and somewhat randomly. Also often happens upon opening a project for the first time.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2022, 06:18 AM   #2071
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
This is excellent, thanks. One issue that could be addressed:

- those of us with Mackie MCU + 2 extenders, Page 2 and 3 of plugin parameters are not automatically displaying across the three devices, the pages are only scrollable on the first MCU unit's 8 windows
Yes, I know this is not nice but I am afraid this will not change.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #2072
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
Awesome - I watched the video, I am very excited about this.
I have dbm on two computers.
If I make several plugin maps on one computer, how can I share it with the other computer with dbm on it?
Or - where is the plugin map we create stored, so I can copy it to other computer?
Thank you very much for this!
I wanted to mention this in the video but forgot about it.
You can simply copy the file "DrivenByMoss4Reaper-ParameterMaps.ini" which you can find in the Reaper configuration folder (one level up from the UserPlugins folder).
BTW This folder also contains all other DrivenByMoss configuration files in case you want to backup them.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:28 AM   #2073
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergreeny View Post
Hi Moss - for sometime the following issue has been occurring with my behringher x-touch MCU using Moss for Reaper OSX:

- physical dedicated master fader (9th fader) on control surface drops to minus infinity while software master in Reaper stays at unity, so sound is still playing, but have to push master fader back up and software then follows it as one returns it to unity. happens upon pressing playback, and somewhat randomly. Also often happens upon opening a project for the first time.

Any thoughts?
Puh, not really. If it happens randomly it sounds more like an issue with the device.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:48 AM   #2074
petergreeny

Quote:
Puh, not really. If it happens randomly it sounds more like an issue with the device.
But it has never happened with the same device in Logic or Cubase, so I suspect there is something going on with DrivenByMoss, but it could still be Behringer specific.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:37 AM   #2075
flipotto

Quote:
I wanted to mention this in the video but forgot about it.
You can simply copy the file "DrivenByMoss4Reaper-ParameterMaps.ini" which you can find in the Reaper configuration folder (one level up from the UserPlugins folder).
BTW This folder also contains all other DrivenByMoss configuration files in case you want to backup them.
Thank you!
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #2076
Hank(ITA)

Quote:
DrivenByMoss 15.4.0 is online!

Thank you sir! Will try it as soon as possible
Old 02-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #2077
Doflow

Default Advantages parameter mapping vs track controls

Hi Moss,

Thanks for all your great work.
I'm using a Push device.
I was wondering what are the real advantages linking parameters through the new 15.5 method, instead of doing it by showing parameters in the track controls so you can control them using the user button on a Push.
This last method has some advantages (you can save multiple track templates with different parameters in the track controls and easy linking of the last parameter touched without having to search in the dialog).

Just curious what's the idea behind the possibility to set them up through the new 15.5 method apart from the fact that you don't have to choose a track template, but have the same parameters every time you use the plugin.
Doflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:32 AM   #2078
moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doflow View Post
Hi Moss,

Thanks for all your great work.
I'm using a Push device.
I was wondering what are the real advantages linking parameters through the new 15.5 method, instead of doing it by showing parameters in the track controls so you can control them using the user button on a Push.
This last method has some advantages (you can save multiple track templates with different parameters in the track controls and easy linking of the last parameter touched without having to search in the dialog).

Just curious what's the idea behind the possibility to set them up through the new 15.5 method apart from the fact that you don't have to choose a track template, but have the same parameters every time you use the plugin.
Both methods serve the same purpose. The track parameters solution allows you to combine parameters from multiple devices the new device mapping is specific to one device but you might want to add more parameters here. Furthermore, the new mapping is available in all your projects without the need to store them in a template.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #2079
Doflow

Quote:
Both methods serve the same purpose. The track parameters solution allows you to combine parameters from multiple devices the new device mapping is specific to one device but you might want to add more parameters here. Furthermore, the new mapping is available in all your projects without the need to store them in a template.
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Also the possibility to store specific parameters in a specific page with a specific name might be an advantage too.
Doflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:54 PM   #2080
pcp

Fantastic update, the addition of device parameters is especially great for controllers that lack a User Mode, like my Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk1.
pcp is offline   Reply With Quote