Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-14-2022, 06:01 AM   #1
guycalledxan
Human being with feelings

Default How to not get false positives for +0db on meters

There's this old thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222596

Midway down I basically have this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Before it has gone over.

Bugged the shit out of me but I got used to it. My previous DAW I could put a brickwall limiter set to limit at 0db on a track, and I'd never get a peak light. Gotta go -1db with the exact same brickwall limiter in REAPER to get the same results.
So I'm not talking about the parts of the thread about file types, sample rate and decoding.

I think it's basically this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The meters peak at about 1/1000th of a dB below zero.
This thread was over 10 years ago so I'm hoping there's a way to configure Reaper so that 0 (or almost 0) doesn't trigger a red light. It's just that I've had no luck finding it, if it exists, hence asking here.

I could elaborate more on why I need that in my workflow and why the brickwall limiter is fine for what I'm doing. The tl;dr of the effect of this peak behaviour is that I waste a lot of time having to investigate any peak that a limiter somewhere in my tree is probably solving for me.
guycalledxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

REAPER 6.37 has this:

+ VU meters: display overs if record-input signal is >= +0dB, or playback signal is > +0dB

This appears to work as described. If I play back a signal of exactly 0dbFS, the meter does not display an over. If you are seeing different behavior, could you give some exact steps to reproduce please?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #3
guycalledxan
Human being with feelings

Ah, 6.37 is from Oct 2021. I'd been putting off updating since... August, at a guess. I think you're right. I updated Reaper in between my message and yours and now I don't get the issue. I couldn't swear that it was 6.37 that fixed it, or maybe I'm misremembering how I was provoking the issue before... Ah, well, probably my bad this time around. Cheers for the reply.
guycalledxan is offline   Reply With Quote