Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-11-2022, 01:01 PM   #1
Alderyos
Human being with feelings

Default Open audio files from explorer/finder behaviors

Hello,

I'd like to be able to open the selected file(s) in explorer into REAPER in a new project tab, each time I do it, without any new separated tab for each file.

For instance, if I select 2 files and open them with REAPER (see the note at the end of my post), I'd like those 2 files to be inserted in a new single project tab. Then, if I select 3 files and open them with REAPER, I'd like them to be inserted in a new single project tab and so on.

-----

I've tried and here are the current behaviors I've noticed:

1) If REAPER is closed, it will insert the selected file(s) in REAPER, in a single new project tab. Basically, that's the behavior I want.

2) If REAPER is already opened, it will insert each selected file(s) in new separated project tabs. I don't want them to be opened in separated new tabs, but rather in a single new one.

3) Out of curiosity and for testing purposes, setting REAPER as the default program for WAV files, selecting 2 or more files and pressing "Enter", if REAPER is closed, they'll be inserted in multiple instances of REAPER. But they'd be inserted in different new tabs if REAPER is already opened. Anyway, I don't want to change the default program to REAPER for my audio/video files. Not an option for me.

-----

The only related options I've found in the preferences are:

✅ Create new project tab when opening media from explorer/finder
✅ Check for multiple instances when launching
✅ when launching with project/media

And I keep them all checked since I want those behaviors. Unchecking them won't solve the issue.

I haven't found anything relevant in the action list.

-----

So, I have a few questions regarding this issue:

•Is there a way to achieve what I'm looking for?
•Would it be a bug that it behaves differently if REAPER is closed or opened?

-----

Note: To open the selected file(s) in REAPER, I've tested with the following different methods:

1) Right-click → open with REAPER

2) Drag and drop on reaper.exe

3) In Directory Opus with the function: "C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe" {allfilepath}

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Alderyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #2
schwa
Administrator

This is a reasonable request, but it's somewhat complicated on Windows. We'll think about whether there is a reliable way to support this.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:10 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

We did spend some time looking at this issue, but the possible solutions all introduce some potential for other unwanted behaviors. The underlying issue is differences in how Windows interacts with an application when it is first opening, versus when it is already open. I think we'll have to leave this as a "live with it", and suggest that you drag the files into a new project tab instead of doing this straight from windows explorer.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:23 PM   #4
Alderyos
Human being with feelings

Hello schwa,

Alright, no worries.

Many thanks for your very quick verification and replies!

Cheers!
Alderyos is offline   Reply With Quote