Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #41
Jgilbert
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by olzzon View Post

4. 1 Vocal mic, here i donīt have any specific advice, because itīs really up to the voice youīre recording and the style. And itīs not really the price that defines whatīs best.

6. Room adjustments, these are more important than many other things.

7. Monitors, itīs great with good monitors, but itīs way more important to know your speakers. Iīd rather have some good mics, than great monitors.
I will definately pickup a couple of SM57s...but I still need a good affordable cond mic for vocals only, but I have price limitations:

I can only allocate about $1100 for one good cond mic and a powered monitor set...so with that thought in mind, what mic/monitor setup is good for the money? I prefer to just buy new rather than used, and I prefer to buy online...

Room Adjustments??? Is there a science to setting up a room? Cant I just hang a few blankets on the walls or??? Otherwise, where do I start and how do I determine when the room is adjusted properly?
Jgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 AM   #42
olzzon

I think AudioTechnica AT4033 could be a good shot for you.
You could also think of buying 2 and then use those for Overhead and acoustic guitars. Iīm not sure of the price though.
But iīm sure i would try to find some good open sounding Speakers like the B&W 302 they are quite cheap. And then spend the money on mics. I know guys mixing on small PC speakers that makes great mixes on them. Iīve done quite alot mixes on the 302īs and when i got to know them well, i had no problems mixing on them. I do have better monitors now (adam p11, Dynaudio M2, Yamaha Ns10, Jbl 4412), and i do prefer better speakers. But compared to the ns10 they are just as fine IMO, just a different sound. Or some other speakers you can find. And as i said, itīs just as much a question of knowing your speakers.

The problems with mic compared to monitors, is that it allways looks better with some fancy monitors. But iīd rather wait til you can afford some realy good ones.

Regarding room treatment. Itīs a science. BUT. if you use your ears, and try different things, youīll learn alot about sound, so itīs a very good way to train your skills. Youīll discover that carpets do remove some frequencies but not others. A mattress may go lower. Putting things in your room change itīs behavior. etc.
And when you record drums, itīs really fun to try different room treatments. Then in a year or so, youīll know your room so well, that you find out of itīs strength and itīs weakness. And maybe find out what you find important to fix.
So room treatment isnīt necesary gonna cost you, be creative, and learn by doing is fun.

This is just my thoughts, and YMMV. Iīm no expert in all areas, and there are so many different way to do all this. So use what you can, and forget the rest.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #43
todd24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgilbert View Post
Room Adjustments??? Is there a science to setting up a room? Cant I just hang a few blankets on the walls or??? Otherwise, where do I start and how do I determine when the room is adjusted properly?
Do not put up carpet. If you start here you can learn alot about what to do. Mainly you need broadband traping. In the corners and at the first reflection.

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/u...orum/f/26.html
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #44
chip mcdonald

Quote:
I

Room Adjustments??? Is there a science to setting up a room?
Wow, yeah, it's definitely a science...Although, a sofa is not a bad thing.

For starters, you really should get a subscription to TapOp magazine. Then go to your local Borders and look up "Alton Everest" as an author and get his books.

On the net look up the following names:

Walter Storyk Associates
Ethan Winer

Ollzon is right: a 4033 is a good all-around condenser, it would work for overheads and acoustic guitar... Might be a bit spitty/bright on vocals, though.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
Jgilbert

I have a full size mattress I can rob from the guest bedroom..I am sure it will look totally ghetto in here, but if it improves the sound who cares.

SHould I just lean it againt a wall, or lean it in front of the windows, or... any suggestions. this room is about 12X15 I think...with a lowered ceiling on both long walls (upstairs over garage room) giving the ceiling the barn-like shape.

Is there a general rule on how to handle windows? I have a double window in the room...
Jgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #46
yep

Here's my dirt-cheap recording studio shopping list:

Presonus firepod $500 (all-in-one interface w/ 8 preamps, phantom, DI, and good A/D)

4 KEL HM-1 mics- $500 (excellent instrument mics)

2 MXL 604 or 603s condenser mics- $200 (you should be able to get a better deal on these, actually. They're outstanding drum OH, wide-pickup small condensers).

2 Shure SM57 mics - $200

1 MXL V67 large-diphragm mic- $100 (big, rich-sounding vocal mic)

1 Apex 210 Ribbon mic- $130 (just because)

1 Cheap little mixer (like behringer UB-802)- $70, just handy to have around.

1 pair of E-MU PM5 monitors bought on clearance RIGHT NOW (see my other thread) $200

$200 left over buys you a spool of cable and a bunch of connectors. Learn to solder. You're gonna have to sell some blood to get some mic stands (boom-type. do yourself a favor) but otherwise you should be all set, presuming you have a computer.

Cheers.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #47
olzzon

Quote:
I have a full size mattress I can rob from the guest bedroom..I am sure it will look totally ghetto in here, but if it improves the sound who cares.

SHould I just lean it againt a wall, or lean it in front of the windows, or... any suggestions. this room is about 12X15 I think...with a lowered ceiling on both long walls (upstairs over garage room) giving the ceiling the barn-like shape.

Is there a general rule on how to handle windows? I have a double window in the room...
Well the mattress was just an example, of things to use.
What i meant was, that you should listen to the room, find out of itīs weakness. Some room are boomy, some have this hard sound when you clap your hands, some have a very long decay, but it could be a nice sounding one.
And then decide if the room sound is far off of what you wanīt for your recording. And as suggested, a sofa is a nice sounding furniture, to soften up things a bit.
The link suggested before is really cool. And what i meant was more or less, that you need to find out what you like for different purposes, and only the ears can tell, so they need to experiment and listen. I really like listening to rooms, and think of what a certain room would be cool for. All rooms has a vibe.