Old 02-18-2024, 12:55 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Re-Worked song from 2002

In another thread, bringing old midi tracks back to life with newer, better sounding virtual instruments was being discussed, which got me looking at some old projects.

I dug up this old gem that I recorded in 2002 using a different DAW and hardware V-Drums. I ported the audio tracks and midi drum track into REAPER, and then setup Superior Drummer to play the midi drum track that was originally V-Drums hardware sounds.

I had just bought my 5-String OLP StingRay bass, and recorded bass, guitar and drums. Then had my now deceased guitarist from the band I was in back then lay a couple of solo guitar tracks.

The new re-worked version of this song "Altitude" is here:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14732029

Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 06:33 PM   #2
MonkeyBars

fun project... might want to take another pass at the mix as it sounds a bit harsh here and lacking in lows for my 2024 ears lol
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #3
Philbo King

I like it! Musically for sure.
Has a bit of jazz vibe. Nice guitar & drum work too.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:28 AM   #4
enroe

"Altitude": Nice rock instrumental, great guitar solos!

Also compositionally very successful. If you have more old
songs like this lying around, you should update and remix
them all. It turned out great!
Old 02-19-2024, 10:33 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
fun project... might want to take another pass at the mix as it sounds a bit harsh here and lacking in lows for my 2024 ears lol
Thanks for the feedback. I might revisit the mix, but more likely will get back to working on a current project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
I like it! Musically for sure.
Has a bit of jazz vibe. Nice guitar & drum work too.
Thanks Philbo. I was considering trading in the bass I'm playing on this towards a double humbucker Sterling Ray5, and wanting to date it, which led me to this project because it was the first one I used that bass on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
"Altitude": Nice rock instrumental, great guitar solos!

Also compositionally very successful. If you have more old
songs like this lying around, you should update and remix
them all. It turned out great!
Thanks Enroe! It was the discussion with msundh about old midi files on new VSTi's in zeekat's thread that made me decide to mess with the old midi on this project, and get it playing on Superior Drummer 2. The original drums used the TD-V6 V-Drums hardware sounds which aren't as good.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:13 PM   #6
msundh

Nice work. Great mix.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:47 PM   #7
zeekat

Drums sound fantastic, yeah I can imagine '02 samples not being quite there
Old 02-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #8
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Nice work. Great mix.
Thanks Mikael. It's funny how right after talking to you about old projects with midi, that I came across this old one with midi. I actually had looked this one up to get an idea when I bought the bass I used on it, and then I thought, "why not upgrade the drums on this".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Drums sound fantastic, yeah I can imagine '02 samples not being quite there
Thanks Zeekat, the old hardware sounds are okay, but they are nowhere near the same class as the sounds in Superior Drummer 2.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:48 AM   #9
AudioBabble

Sounds great! I love that gnarly growly bass I know you're not too fussed about the mix, but I'd want to hear those drums pumped and saturated a bit more to match the dirt of the bass. Love the proggy vibes, just my cuppa tea!
Old 02-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBabble View Post
Sounds great! I love that gnarly growly bass I know you're not too fussed about the mix, but I'd want to hear those drums pumped and saturated a bit more to match the dirt of the bass. Love the proggy vibes, just my cuppa tea!
Thanks AudioBabble! I do like your idea of crunching up the drums, and Superior Drummer 2 does have a SanAmp channel on some of the drum kits for doing exactly that. I'll have to check and see if the kit I used has it or not.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM   #11
AudioBabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks AudioBabble! I do like your idea of crunching up the drums, and Superior Drummer 2 does have a SanAmp channel on some of the drum kits for doing exactly that. I'll have to check and see if the kit I used has it or not.
Cool... Love SD, I have Sd3 and it rocks!

I often throw some saturation on the complete drum mix... Tritik krush is a nice free one
Old 02-23-2024, 08:36 AM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Cool... Love SD, I have Sd3 and it rocks!

I often throw some saturation on the complete drum mix... Tritik krush is a nice free one
It turned out the SD kit I'm using is not one that has the SansAmp, so I tried a few overdrive plugins, but didn't like them as well as the SansAmp in SD. I might mess with it some this weekend and try a kit that has the SansAmp to see how it sounds.

I'm running Linux, and could probably run Krush, but I try to avoid running plugins in a compatibility layer as much as possible.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:56 PM   #13
Dream Of Sleeping

This is really cool. It's kind of like the bass player in Primus and Steve Via formed a super group. It would have been interesting to hear the old version to compare. That intro riff is awesome.
Dream Of Sleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:42 PM   #14
Tod

Quote:
In another thread, bringing old midi tracks back to life with newer, better sounding virtual instruments was being discussed, which got me looking at some old projects.

I dug up this old gem that I recorded in 2002 using a different DAW and hardware V-Drums. I ported the audio tracks and midi drum track into REAPER, and then setup Superior Drummer to play the midi drum track that was originally V-Drums hardware sounds.

I had just bought my 5-String OLP StingRay bass, and recorded bass, guitar and drums. Then had my now deceased guitarist from the band I was in back then lay a couple of solo guitar tracks.

The new re-worked version of this song "Altitude" is here:

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14732029

Sounds great Glennbo.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 11:31 PM   #15
AudioBabble

Quote:
It turned out the SD kit I'm using is not one that has the SansAmp, so I tried a few overdrive plugins, but didn't like them as well as the SansAmp in SD. I might mess with it some this weekend and try a kit that has the SansAmp to see how it sounds.

I'm running Linux, and could probably run Krush, but I try to avoid running plugins in a compatibility layer as much as possible.
I just fired up my linux machine... installed krush via the .exe installer, did yabridgectl sync... and it works a treat!

The preset I use a lot on drums is crushing > punch, bring up the dry slider so I get parallel saturation, play around with wet vs dry levels and often use krush's filter to take off a bit of the high end harshness.

It's also capable of some pretty extreme noises too if that's your bag... as well as modulation... and there's also a pro version with even more bells n whistles but i've never tried that.

It's probably nothing u couldn't do with native plugins and/or jsfx, but I just like the way it works out of the box... especially on drums.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:23 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Of Sleeping View Post
This is really cool. It's kind of like the bass player in Primus and Steve Via formed a super group. It would have been interesting to hear the old version to compare. That intro riff is awesome.
Hehe, I was actually thinking of Primus when I came up with that triple finger slappy roll on the low B string, but the chime harmonics that follow it was more a nod to Victor Wooten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Sounds great Glennbo.
Thanks Tod. I appreciate the listen!

Quote:
I just fired up my linux machine... installed krush via the .exe installer, did yabridgectl sync... and it works a treat!

The preset I use a lot on drums is crushing > punch, bring up the dry slider so I get parallel saturation, play around with wet vs dry levels and often use krush's filter to take off a bit of the high end harshness.

It's also capable of some pretty extreme noises too if that's your bag... as well as modulation... and there's also a pro version with even more bells n whistles but i've never tried that.

It's probably nothing u couldn't do with native plugins and/or jsfx, but I just like the way it works out of the box... especially on drums.
Thanks again AudioBabble! I'll have to look more into Krush. I do run a handful of Windows plugins in Linux, but it's been pretty exclusively instrument plugins like Kontakt, or Superior Drummer 2.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM   #17
41TWIN

Sounds good man! I always love some harmony guitars. Or just harmonies in general. LOL.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:12 PM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41TWIN View Post
Sounds good man! I always love some harmony guitars. Or just harmonies in general. LOL.
Thanks man! I had the rhythm track recorded with two guitars, bass and drums when my guitarist came over. He asked me what he should play, so I kinda sang the opening line to him, and he not only ran with the ball, but right after recording the first track said, "I have an idea for a harmony part", and then he recorded the harmony guitar track he was thinking on the first try.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:02 PM   #19
JMTee

Great song, great bass playing, like the drums and great guitar work, I also love the harmony guitars, some nice tone on the guitars, do you know what his guitar rig was (guitar, amp, pedals)
Old 02-27-2024, 03:50 PM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTee View Post
Great song, great bass playing, like the drums and great guitar work, I also love the harmony guitars, some nice tone on the guitars,
Thanks JMTee!

Quote:
do you know what his guitar rig was (guitar, amp, pedals)
That one I definitely know the answer to, because he was playing my Gibson L6S Midnight Special, first through my Digitech RP7 tube preamp/pedalboard, then into a 20 watt Orange Micro Terror, and lastly into a 1962 Gretsch speaker cab in the studio closet with a Sennheiser MD421 mic.

The two rhythm guitars I'm playing were through that same rig, and the bass I played was played through the Digitech BP200 bass amp modeling pedal. Both of those are right under my mix desk.

Last edited by Glennbo; 03-06-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:04 AM   #21
JMTee

cool, the test guitar tone sounds great!