Old 10-15-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
Xaake
Human being with feelings

Default Distinct theme

Edit: With REAPER 1.43 a new icon was added, for the metronome. Naturally this means an update to the distinct theme. There are now 4 different versions of the distinct theme:
- Distinct (The original)
- Distinct-greensolo (differs from the original by having a green solobutton instead of a red one; I have actually been convinced this is better and am using this theme myself)
- Distinct-recarm (uses a record arm button that is identical to the record button on the transport bar instead of the original R button)
- Distinct-recarm-greensolo (I think you can guess what this is)

Enjoy
/Rickard

Removed:Edit: With REAPER 1.32 the looks of the program was vastly improved, luckily enough only minor tweaks had to be done to my theme to make it look good in the new look (actually I've only changed 3 colors, the two new ones (backgrounds for faders during automation) and one of the 3d shading colors). The attached file is the new version 1.1 of the theme now! Enjoy!

Edit: This theme is now released in Version 1.0 (there is a separate relese that is exactly the same only with a green solobutton) Screenshot in this post now reflects the complete theme and not the firstlook image that was here previously. There is also a zip file containing both original version 1.0 and the greensolobutton theme. Enjoy and please tell me what you think.

To Justin: Feel free to add this theme to the reaper install file.

Removed:First looks at my new theme. Alot of work still to be done. The idea is to make an iconset where it is simple to see what kind of action will take place when pressing the buttons. The square buttons will be used for all toogleable things, be it 2 ways 3 ways or more. Round buttons will be used for popups. There will be some kind of special button shape for the Transport too.

[IMG]http://img224.**************/img224/7415/screenhp6.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_greensolo_recarm_ui.zip (27.9 KB, 455 views)
File Type: zip distinct_greensolo_ui.zip (26.3 KB, 420 views)
File Type: zip distinct_recarm_ui.zip (27.0 KB, 416 views)
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (24.8 KB, 417 views)

AMD Athlon-XP 3000+ @ 3200+, 1GB DDR-RAM, Presonus Inspire 1394, Edirol MA-15D

It is always good weather indoors!

Last edited by Xaake; 11-25-2006 at 03:59 AM. Reason: New UI Look of REAPER
Xaake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
Xaake

Round and squarish icons now complete, but I still have to add symbols/letters to the icons. Still lot of work to be done, expect first version of theme in the next few days (maybe even today)

[IMG]http://img219.**************/img219/2387/screendm5.th.png[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
Xaake

I've done a little more with this themes icons now, soon ready for a 0.1 release

[IMG]http://img216.**************/img216/3650/screenwm2.th.png[/IMG]

Old 10-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Xaake

Ok, here is version 0.1, still missing are several icons, for example the transport bar buttons, they will come eventually. In the meantime, here you go!

[IMG]http://img143.**************/img143/5558/screenuw4.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (25.1 KB, 368 views)

Old 10-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Xaake

Version 0.2, some more icons created...

And the reason I am posting this is cause I like for people to comment on eventual changes to make the theme better.

[IMG]http://img108.**************/img108/2451/screenup8.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (25.8 KB, 343 views)

Old 10-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
stelzbock

Hey, nice theme. But here are some suggestions:

- The Square buttons dont't look good with the shadow at top and buttom. Shade it all the way around, so that they look flat but rounded (e.g. like the fx button). That would be better.

- The toolbar buttons look terrible. Maybe you should use one color (e.g. dark grey like one them). And you should redo the toolbar icons themself.

Jan

Stelzbock @ myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/stealthmusic
gear/sw:
Reaper, FLStudio, ProjectMix I/O, KRK RP5, Sp B1 Mic, some Intruments
PC: Athlon XP 2,4+, 1,5GB RAM, Matrox Dual Head
stelzbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
SamuliK

The E for envelopes isn't very obvious, maybe you could fit 'env' into the button. Same goes for folders, I don't think F is very easily associated with a folder and maybe an icon that looks a bit more like a folder would be more intuitive. Since the IO button cannot be toggled it could use a higher contrast coloring so it doesn't get lost in the background.

Keep up the good work.
SamuliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzbock
- The Square buttons dont't look good with the shadow at top and buttom. Shade it all the way around, so that they look flat but rounded (e.g. like the fx button). That would be better.
Good point, I'll try it and see what it looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzbock
- The toolbar buttons look terrible. Maybe you should use one color (e.g. dark grey like one them). And you should redo the toolbar icons themself.
Not sure wich ones you mean, but the top row of toolbar buttons are not done at all yet (save the Project settings button), the bottom row already have a simple color scheme, they are different color depending on the state they are in, green for on, darkgrayblue for off, and orange for "all" as in the ripple button.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuliK
The E for envelopes isn't very obvious, maybe you could fit 'env' into the button. Same goes for folders, I don't think F is very easily associated with a folder and maybe an icon that looks a bit more like a folder would be more intuitive. Since the IO button cannot be toggled it could use a higher contrast coloring so it doesn't get lost in the background.

Keep up the good work.
You are absolutely right, the reason for me doing like this is that I want to keep the buttons looking uniform, env could never be fitted with a 2px wide font, and with a 1px it would stand out from the other fonts alot (look at the phase reverse button on my recube theme for an example of what I mean). I'll think about using some other image for envelope though. When it comes to the folder, that was a spur of the moment, quick fix and not a permanent one, expect there to be some kind of folder icon there in the future. As for the IO button (as well as the env button) I'll look into other possible colors. The darkbluegray was choosen initially for the off states of the toggle buttons so that they would not attract to much attention when toogled off, I was just lazy and reused that color for the round buttons, when they should be a clearer color.

Thanks for the input!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #10
Xaake

Ok, here is version 0.3, some more icons created, some changes to colors and shapes of buttons. Change to square buttons have made them abit to dark, maybee I'll fix that tomorrow.
Started a little work on the transport buttons...

[IMG]http://img211.**************/img211/2420/screennh1.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (26.1 KB, 313 views)

Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
Xaake

Version 0.4, couldn't fall asleap so I got up and did some more icon polishing, next version should have all the icons "complete" and I can start looking at the color theme.

[IMG]http://img82.**************/img82/6379/screenll5.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (26.1 KB, 314 views)

Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 AM   #12
Xaake

Version 0.5, still a few icons left to do (like the three topmost-left buttons). I am not happy with the REC IN, OUT and OFF buttons either, considering using the default ones...

Anyways here it is... I completely remade all the icons after a tip from Acoustic about being able to use alpha for the images, so now the icons look good no matter the color of the background.

[IMG]http://img169.**************/img169/4965/screenip8.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (25.6 KB, 300 views)

Old 10-17-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
sharkfin73

been a while since I stopped by here. Man I like the look you have going. I alway like the look of Fruity Loops or the new Sonar. Kind of reminds me of that but your has it's own look.

I had no idea you could customize Reaper like this. Are you guys sharing your themes?

Reaper is moving so fast! Once I can drag and drop Acid drum loops on the fly and they synch to the set bpm I may make the move for good. Maybe it's doing that already. Gotta poke around here some more.

Funny how the look of a software makes you want to use it. It evokes a certain vibe IMO that lend to the creative process.
Anyway great job I like it.

sf
sharkfin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
SamuliK

One thing that at least for me seems a bit problematic, is the use of red color for the record indicator, the toggled mute button and the last track in a track folder. I think it reduces the readability of the interface when such strong color has so many meanings. Red is a warning color and in the context of audio editing usually associated with recording.

By the way have you considered doing a theme with a lighter background? I've never been a Cubase user and the dark themes seem a bit alien to me, of course this might not be the case for other people...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Xaake

I like dark backgrounds, that is why I do it like that. I will see how well these icons work with lighter colors when the icons are done and I start tweeking the colortheme.

I Agree again with you on the red color thing. I've had this problem when making the theme, I would like to use no more colors that I have, so I have Red, Orange, LightBlue, LightGreen and the DarkBlue background color. The End folder icon could easily be changed. But I personally associate both Record and Mute with the color red. And if you think about it both theese are kind of warnings. Mute: Warning this track will not be heard, Record Enable: Warning this track will be altered if you press the record button.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfin73
I had no idea you could customize Reaper like this. Are you guys sharing your themes?
The attached file is the theme, just download it and unzip and place the unzipped folder and theme file in your REAPER/ColorThemes directory

Old 10-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #17
Xaake

Version 0.6, All icons are now "finished" I might still touch up some detail, change some colort etc.

I started looking at the Colorscheme today, but got nowhere, so that is the big next thing, I asume you can use my current Colortheme and change it into something better yourself.

Next version will be 1.0 with a "good" colorsheme if I am able to do that.

[IMG]http://img480.**************/img480/6774/screenzt4.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (24.3 KB, 339 views)

Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #18
sharkfin73

thanks for sharing it. I'm gonna load the new version add your theme and play around with it some more.

sf
Old 10-17-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
SamuliK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaake
I like dark backgrounds, that is why I do it like that. I will see how well these icons work with lighter colors when the icons are done and I start tweeking the colortheme.
I figured you like the darker backgrounds but I thought it might be an interesting challenge to try create something a bit different.

By the way, has Justin included your themes with Reaper already? I can't tell because I've installed them by hand but I do think they definitely should be included. Anyone coming from Cubase should feel more at home using your themes.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:21 AM   #20
Xaake

I got a feeling Justin don't like my Themes, as far as I know they are not included yet. It could also be because I have not bought Reaper yet (will do as soon as I get my next paycheck the 26:th).

The screenshots he made of the program were just using alpha2, winamp, acoustic and the default icons (most screens were using alpha2 so I guess that is what Justin prefers, and I understand that since I believe the alpha2 icons is the prettiest of them all)

I hope in the future that at least my Distinct Theme will be included (I don't like Recube that much anymore). Bear in mind that Distinct is not released as 1.0 yet though...

Old 10-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #21
sharkfin73

I loaded it up last night and I liked it right off, I'll play with it some more but no complaints so far. Although the Mute button going Red??? Red should be for recording only IMO. How about orange? It think someone esle brought this up also.

I'm a fan of the dark look also, almost old X-Windows LOL!!

I was alomost thinking "can he make it darker?"

Have you seen the Fruity Loops display?

Overall I like what you've done a lot. thanks

Last edited by sharkfin73; 10-18-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #22
Xaake

Ok, here it is, version 1.0 of the Distinct theme. I am not sure about all the colors. And as I use REAPER more, I will probably change some of them, and post an update.

[IMG]http://img170.**************/img170/2478/screenbt9.th.png[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_ui.zip (24.3 KB, 350 views)

Old 10-18-2006, 05:20 AM   #23
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by assid
I think there is too much contrast between tracks now...
Not sure what you mean, but the colors were not complete when you posted this, take a look at the version 1.0 of the theme and check if you still think so, and then explain abit more what you mean.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:22 AM   #24
Xaake

Quote:
I loaded it up last night and I liked it right off, I'll play with it some more but no complaints so far. Although the Mute button going Red??? Red should be for recording only IMO. How about orange? It think someone esle brought this up also.
I took a look at other interfaces to see how they colored mute and solo buttons, the result is that the Mute button is now Orange, and the Solo button Red.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #25
sharkfin73

I like the Orange Mute.

I know Cakewalk uses Green on the Solo. IMO I'd leave red for record only. Just my 2 cents.

Question:
In the picuture tracks 8, 9 and 10 are not solo'd or selected yet they are in white on the wave screen?? Be nice to have the actively selected audio highlighted and the other stuff grayed out. Your template may not be what's doing that??

Can I easily edit your template? I have to read up on how you guys are doing this stuff it looks very cool and seems like fun being able to tweek out your own program.

Sorry if I'm making ignorant comments I have to dig in and play some more. But on the other hand someone who has not had hands on can offer another point of view that can be helpful sometimes?

take care,
sf
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #26
sharkfin73

OT- do happen to know if there is any plans or talk for support of ACID loops to sync to project tempo on import planned in the future?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #27
Xaake

Quote:
I like the Orange Mute.
I know Cakewalk uses Green on the Solo. IMO I'd leave red for record only. Just my 2 cents.
Cubase and REAPER w. Akoustic icons uses red for solo too, so I guess I am not way out of line doing so. The problem for me is that I both want it to be usable and look good, and those are not always compatible. I'll keep the comment in mind though.

Quote:
Question:
In the picuture tracks 8, 9 and 10 are not solo'd or selected yet they are in white on the wave screen?? Be nice to have the actively selected audio highlighted and the other stuff grayed out. Your template may not be what's doing that??
They are soloed, since track 8 is soloed and is a folder track, all tracks from 9 and up are soloed by inheritance.

Quote:
Can I easily edit your template? I have to read up on how you guys are doing this stuff it looks very cool and seems like fun being able to tweek out your own program.
Yes you can very easily change the colorsheme, changing the icons is a bit harder but can be done too. To change colorscheme just go to Options/Preferences/Apperance/ColorThemes There you can play with the colors anyway you want and then save the new colortheme.

Quote:
Sorry if I'm making ignorant comments I have to dig in and play some more. But on the other hand someone who has not had hands on can offer another point of view that can be helpful sometimes?

take care,
sf
I am almost as ignorant as you, since I've only used REAPER for 2 weeks. And I appreciate all the comments I get on my themes, as you said the one who makes a theme can become pretty homeblind. It is also nice to know if people likes or dislikes the theme. When it comes to my other theme (Recube) I have no idea if people like it or not since (almost) noone says anything.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 AM   #28
Xaake

sharkfin73: For you, this is the exact same theme as distinct version 1.0 but with a green solobutton.

Enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip distinct_greensolo_ui.zip (25.7 KB, 337 views)

Old 10-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #29
SamuliK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaake
I got a feeling Justin don't like my Themes, as far as I know they are not included yet. It could also be because I have not bought Reaper yet (will do as soon as I get my next paycheck the 26:th).

The screenshots he made of the program were just using alpha2, winamp, acoustic and the default icons (most screens were using alpha2 so I guess that is what Justin prefers, and I understand that since I believe the alpha2 icons is the prettiest of them all)

I hope in the future that at least my Distinct Theme will be included (I don't like Recube that much anymore). Bear in mind that Distinct is not released as 1.0 yet though...
Alpha2 is also my favourite currently but I think there is room for more. There are many color themes (without skinned buttons) shipped with Reaper that are completely useless and which no one probably uses so I don't understand why your's is not included. Maybe Justin hates Scandinavian design...

I hope that doesn't stop you from making these themes though!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #30
jens

this theme is impressingly pretty - my personal favourite so far - not including it is just nuts imo...

(but perhaps you should update the screenie in the first post as is usually done for such kind of threads - maybe Justin only looked at this first screenshot)
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #31
sharkfin73

Hey man thanks for the Green solo button :-) very cool of you to do that. I appreciate it. Yes this theme gets my vote!! Should be added IMO.

sf
Old 10-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #32
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jens
this theme is impressingly pretty - my personal favourite so far - not including it is just nuts imo...

(but perhaps you should update the screenie in the first post as is usually done for such kind of threads - maybe Justin only looked at this first screenshot)
Thanks, and good idea too, I just updated the first post with new screens and a combined download of the original and the greensolobutton versions of the theme.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #33
sharkfin73

At fist I was wondering what the color gradient thing was now I see it looking at the old version. VERY COOL and adds a more "pro" look!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:58 AM   #34
Xaake

New version 1.1, look at the first post for download!

Old 10-20-2006, 05:09 AM   #35
sharkfin73

Man this Justin guy is fast! I will have to wait till tonight to try the new version. I hope the button issue is is fixed on my system. The new color gradient thing really added to a more "pro" look.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM   #36
orabidoo

i like much this theme only a thing maybe can improved :the automation in the transport bar have the same icons for the touch,latch and write mode
orabidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #37
Xaake

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabidoo
i like much this theme only a thing maybe can improved :the automation in the transport bar have the same icons for the touch,latch and write mode
Thanks, Well to be perfectly honest, I don't know the difference between touch latch and write modes, that is why I made it this way (some other themes have done the same).

Old 11-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #38
Solar

Default Wow!!

This is one of the greatest THEMEs ever.. very nice.. espcially having the icon in the mixer console sliders.. simply amazing!! Wow.. I think we need more greater revamped GUI for REAPER because i truly think as many that it looks a lot as Vegas or Acid so we need to get away form that Sony thing.. and be our own.. This is the best so far thanx again! and goof job!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:15 AM   #39
sumitagarwal

Its nice. Somehow reminds me of Tracktion. Considering basic limitations of the interface API this is probably about as close as we can get to something like that.
sumitagarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #40
Xaake

Thanks, I appreciate any comments on the theme both positive and negative, but honestly it warms me abit more with the positive ones *s*