Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #961
SeanTypedThis
Human being with feelings

Default LED Mapping for Quneo

Just sharing my mapping to use the Keith Mcmillen Quneo LED feedback with Playtime! Requires Realearn.

Quneo LED Mapping

This is meant for the grid mode setting, so 64 triggers across the 16 pads.

Put the "Quneo 64.json" file in "C:\ProgramData\Playtime\controllers" and load the "Playtime.quneopreset" template into your Quneo through the Quneo editor.

Also, install Realearn! The track template requires Realearn, as there is an instance in the input FX's which you have to point to your Quneo controller as the midi input.

Then just load the track template in Reaper, set the midi hardware output to the QUNEO, set the "MIDI Control Input" in Realearn to QUNEO, assign tracks for the slot groups you want to use, and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps somebody out!
Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 PM   #962
Robbie Hogg

OMG!!!!
Just found this plugin and i freakin love it.
Just got a couple of questions.

1. Is possible to turn on and off individual loops within a scene?
Every time i click on an item it just starts the loop for that item again. I did try it with a Midi app on my phone and managed to get it working that way but using the phone is a pain and i don't have a Launchpad style interface at the moment.

2. Is there a way to set it up so that when i start using Playtime it doesn't skip to the end of the first bar of the next 4bars of where the play head is located?
Eg 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and i want the play head to start at 2.1 doesn't matter where i set the play head it will jump to 2.2.
I have the 4 bar measures colour coded and like the visual reference as to where i want to start the next set of loops from and find it a bit confusing having to start loops at the x.2 bar.
Robbie Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 AM   #963
Robbie Hogg

Ok so i found exclusive mode allowing single loops to be turned on and off but have just started having some problems with what appears to be a kind of buffering issue especially after about the 4 minute mark.
I have 6 loops one is an audio loop and the rest are Midi triggering a synth, plus 2 of the tracks i am recording on the fly into loop slots.
I have had up to 50 tracks playing in the past using reaper normally without having any buffering issues so i'm wondering if it is a buffering issue or something else.
It pauses for a second or so then continues for a while then pauses again for a second and continues.
I do plan on using this live eventually so would appreciate some help on preventing it from happening.
My laptop is a Windows 10, i7-9750H @ 2.6GHZ and will boost up to 4.5GHZ with 16GB Ram
Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #964
Robbie Hogg

Ok so i have figured out how to stop Playtime jumping one bar at the start of the project.
For anyone else who is trying to figure it out in Playtime under settings set it like this.

Play clips with arrangement: OFF
Play arrangement with clips: ON
Playtime will start from where ever you have the play head set.

Still having issues with the project pausing and starting again. Tried moving the project to my SSD from an external HDD and seems to have made a small difference although it still happens.
Would love some help in trying to figure this out and if anyone else has had this issue.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #965
zvukofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Hogg View Post
...having some problems with what appears to be a kind of buffering issue especially after about the 4 minute mark.
I have 6 loops one is an audio loop and the rest are Midi triggering a synth, plus 2 of the tracks i am recording on the fly into loop slots.
I have had up to 50 tracks playing in the past using reaper normally without having any buffering issues so i'm wondering if it is a buffering issue or something else.
It pauses for a second or so then continues for a while then pauses again for a second and continues.
I do plan on using this live eventually so would appreciate some help on preventing it from happening.
My laptop is a Windows 10, i7-9750H @ 2.6GHZ and will boost up to 4.5GHZ with 16GB Ram
I have a same problem with live audio looping!
Playtime works fine with live recording MIDI, and with pre-recorded audio, but somehow not with live audio recording!
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #966
Robbie Hogg

The issues i am having is with live MIDI.

Just started playing around with it again, even if i have the same slots looping without recording anything, after a while it starts pausing then continuing again.
Getting very frustrating.

Anyone know if Playtime is still active or is it no longer being developed?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #967
artao

Is this project dead? I see it hasn't been updated in a year and a half, and I found a post from late last year where the dev said he's no longer actively working on it.
If it's dead, I'll just stick with the demo version, and "deal with" the 30 min time limit. Bit of a PITA, but workable. But I don't see any point in purchasing a dead project. ... altho it WOULD get rid of the time limit and project saving limitations I suppose
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #968
hits_of_sunshine

I hope this function officially included in Reaper 6.
or if Benjamin still developing it, I will gladly pay for upgrade.
hits_of_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #969
artao

So I installed Playtime the other day to futz about with it. Unfortunately, after installing, Reaper started crashing on every start, complaining about FX in the Monitor chain. I didn't want to deal with the hassle, so I uninstalled Playtime.
Sadly, the crashes continued. It stopped when I disabled all Monitor FX, but started again as I began enabling them.
I ended up having to remove all Monitor FX, restart Reaper, then re-add my Monitor FX. Everything is fine now.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #970
akademie

Maybe IF the Playtime project is definitely dead, then it is time for Justin to takeover ;-)
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #971
mschnell

Hehehe.

Justin and friends obviously (ahnd happily for us) are busy with lots of other important stuff.
It would need to be transferred to be a decent community project.
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #972
hits_of_sunshine

I don't think so.

The session view is a basic function of DAW nowadays.
Many DAWs, including old soldiers like Digital Performer, implement the session view.
Roland released hardware sequencers for session view.

Live performances are more needed and important than ever.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:48 PM   #973
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
I don't think so.

Many DAWs, including old soldiers like Digital Performer, implement the session view.
Roland released hardware sequencers for session view.

Live performances are more needed and important than ever.
100% agree
Old 09-27-2019, 02:57 AM   #974
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hits_of_sunshine View Post
Maybe true, but 100% con.

Like many other features (some of which are requested by users over and over again) it is something only a small minority of the users will use.

Reaper does not follow a "one fits all" paradigm, but Cockos wants to provide a manageable product that is extensible with 3rd party additions.

That is why the Reaper distribution (e.g.) does not come with decent virtual instruments (any of those would please only a few clients). But it does feature a VST API to allow 3rd party products to attach.

(And the Reaper devs (very happily) don't care about what other DAW manufactures do.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-27-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:19 AM   #975
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Like many other features (some of which are requested by users over and over again) it is something only a small minority of the users will use.
Do you have secret insight into Reaper usage statistics or something?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:48 AM   #976
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Maybe IF the Playtime project is definitely dead, then it is time for Justin to takeover ;-)
Well, I wrote it, because some time ago Justin answered specifically the question of making something like Playtime as Reaper's native feature. He told, that he does not want to take away opportunity for all those developers that are making tools for Reaper. It is nice of him, really, I appreciate his attitude. And that's why I brought it back to table now, as it seems that the 3rd party project is dead (IF TRUE).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #977
Rims

Default Clips and scenes

Ableton is a huge success. So I think it’s a popular feature
Rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #978
mschnell

Am I right understanding that something like Playtime is the core feature of Ableton (rather than being a general DAW for e.g. mixing multitrack recordings). This in fact is a good thing but nothing Reaper should be considered to follow.

-Michael
Old 09-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #979
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Am I right understanding that something like Playtime is the core feature of Ableton (rather than being a general DAW for e.g. mixing multitrack recordings). This in fact is a good thing but nothing Reaper should be considered to follow.

-Michael
Well, Ableton pretty much originated that workflow, sure. However, Ableton isn't ONLY that. It's a full DAW too where you can work in a more traditional DAW timeline fashion as well. But using the session view also allows you to live-record "improv" arrangements into the timeline to edit further in a more traditional manner. It's not just for live use.
Numerous other DAWs have adopted/included this workflow as well. It's very useful, and more "flowing" than working in the timeline directly.
And you can also do traditional multi-track recording while you're at it.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #980
Rims

What Justin should do is hire Benjamin, who is passionate about session view, so he can afford to build out Playtime properly. Otherwise he can’t invest the time
Old 09-29-2019, 05:18 AM   #981
maxdis

I think the great expandability of Reaper is at the same time its strong point but also a big weak point: I bought Playtime several months ago and created some projects with it, thinking that it would be a valid alternative to Ableton Live, with the advantage to have everything integrated into Reaper; now apparently Playtime has been abandoned, so I will have to consider Ableton Live again: even though Playtime still seems to work, sooner or later, with some new Reaper updates, there will probably be more or less serious bugs that will never be fixed.
The same problem concerns ReaLearn, also developed by Helgoboss, a fantastic extension that should be native to Reaper, and that probably will also stop working sooner or later.
I totally appreciate the great work that many external developers are doing with the extensions, often making them available for free, but it starts to be very difficult to establish a professional workflow when some important aspects of the software are entrusted to third-party applications, which could stop work from day to day if the developer decides not to support them anymore.
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:41 AM   #982
mehmethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdis View Post
I think the great expandability of Reaper is at the same time its strong point but also a big weak point: I bought Playtime several months ago and created some projects with it, thinking that it would be a valid alternative to Ableton Live, with the advantage to have everything integrated into Reaper; now apparently Playtime has been abandoned, so I will have to consider Ableton Live again: even though Playtime still seems to work, sooner or later, with some new Reaper updates, there will probably be more or less serious bugs that will never be fixed.
The same problem concerns ReaLearn, also developed by Helgoboss, a fantastic extension that should be native to Reaper, and that probably will also stop working sooner or later.
I totally appreciate the great work that many external developers are doing with the extensions, often making them available for free, but it starts to be very difficult to establish a professional workflow when some important aspects of the software are entrusted to third-party applications, which could stop work from day to day if the developer decides not to support them anymore.
I totally agree on this.
mehmethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #983
mschnell

Hence somebody should create a dedicated "Reaper Extensions" company, hire some cute guys and provide decently expensive high quality stuff and ongoing support for this. see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=224758
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-01-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #984
micron

Quote:
This is true for any existing software.

My solution is to create a portable configuration and don't update it if it already does what you need.

I'm still using track templates based on energyXt 1.4, it's perfect to be used like in a session view and audio and midi parts can be triggered in sync like you do in Ableton.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #985
maxdis

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
This is true for any existing software.
This is true but, if for example, let's say Steinberg one day decided to stop supporting Cubase, all the whole DAW would stop working at a precise OS update, there would be no strange and sudden bugs in some specific features, besides all the users would be warned in time and would be able to look for alternatives. Certainly there will always be VSTs that will stop being supported by their developers, this is a common problem for all DAWs, but I believe that in Reaper there are too many features scattered among external developers, and this could create many problems. Personally I try to use as few scripts and extensions as possible, but periodically I notice strange bugs, actions that no longer work as before, settings that have changed mysteriously; in this forum there are people who use dozens and dozens of customizations and extensions, building entire workflows around them, and I wonder how reliable this can be, when there are so many variables that can interact in unpredictable ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
My solution is to create a portable configuration and don't update it if it already does what you need.
Certainly, but what if a new version comes out with some important bug fixes, or with some new features that could be very useful for your workflow?
maxdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #986
micron

Quote:
This is true but, if for example, let's say Steinberg one day decided to stop supporting Cubase, all the whole DAW would stop working at a precise OS update, there would be no strange and sudden bugs in some specific features, besides all the users would be warned in time and would be able to look for alternatives. Certainly there will always be VSTs that will stop being supported by their developers, this is a common problem for all DAWs, but I believe that in Reaper there are too many features scattered among external developers, and this could create many problems. Personally I try to use as few scripts and extensions as possible, but periodically I notice strange bugs, actions that no longer work as before, settings that have changed mysteriously; in this forum there are people who use dozens and dozens of customizations and extensions, building entire workflows around them, and I wonder how reliable this can be, when there are so many variables that can interact in unpredictable ways.

Certainly, but what if a new version comes out with some important bug fixes, or with some new features that could be very useful for your workflow?
Well, big software companies are going for the subscription service direction, this is the way to force customers to pay forever, much more effective than offering paid updates. My point is, if my actual computer configuration works flawlessly for what i do, why do i have to be hungry about updates? In the specific case of audio production, my computer is not different from the studio outboard, if it works I'll keep it as is. As long as i use software that doesn't force the computer to be connected to the internet, i'm not in the updating loop and i don't feel forced to change.
A different story would be if the software forces my computer to be on the internet and in that situation the first priority is to be as safe as possible and using an up to date OS and related software and in that scenario i'd be the first to pretend up to date compatibility from the developers and Reaper allows to be off line, so if something is not working with newer version i keep the working one.
In the case of the Reaper's API, you are offered the chance to use Reaper's already existing features in a custom way, if you need it, use it, if you don't, forget it. i have some customization that works after several upgrades, i would not base my job on something that doesn't work. If Playtime is useful to you as it is today, then keep using it.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #987
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmethan View Post
I totally agree on this.
+1
support with hobbyist always may not be future proof.
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:59 AM   #988
Win Conway

Contact the original developer, ask for price for open sourcing, run the kickstarter, give it to the scripting forum here, it is the only way forward for this add on.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #989
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Contact the original developer, ask for price for open sourcing, run the kickstarter, give it to the scripting forum here, it is the only way forward for this add on.
He already still accepts money for an addon he no longer supports.
He does not "deserve" money to add his idea to Reaper.
The Reaper devs can do it better anyhow.
Regardless, it's not like he has IP on that idea. He himself "stole" it from other software. "Stole" in quotes cuz you can't "steal" an idea.
He just implemented in Reaper what had already been implemented in other software.
He's apparently done with that now, so it's time for Cockos to take it up and put it in officially.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #990
Ozman

I think what Reaper can add in version 6 is the ability to have 2 different arrangements in one project.

This would allow for items to be created that do not occupy any real-estate on the actual arrangements.

This would be useful for all the non-linear workflows we are seeing in modern daws.
1) Session view (Ableton and Bitwig)
2) Arrangement Blocks (Reason)
3) Scratchpad (Studio One)
4) Arrangement Track (Studio One)

Being able to define reference-able regions in a secondary arrangement would allow script developers to create multiple workflow tools for spawning quick ideas and jams, in non-committal ways.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #991
hits_of_sunshine

Bitwig and Mixcraft have a horizontal clip shelf.
Considered it as an arrangement tool, that makes sense.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #992
Ozman

Right.
Allowing us to have a separate arrangement, would allow script developers to create various tools for applying items from it to the main arrangement.

These can be "clips", session view, blocks, scratch pad, etc.

Currently, if one using Playtime, the actual playback of the triggered scenes start way after whatever is currently on the arrangement, not from the beginning.
Simply because, everything goes to that one arrangement. There's no separate place for items to be stored.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #993
Rims

I settled on using the Ableton lite that came with launchpad wired to reaper with rea route with reaper as the master clock. Got my session view
Old 10-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #994
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
He already still accepts money for an addon he no longer supports.
He does not "deserve" money to add his idea to Reaper.
The Reaper devs can do it better anyhow.
Regardless, it's not like he has IP on that idea. He himself "stole" it from other software. "Stole" in quotes cuz you can't "steal" an idea.
He just implemented in Reaper what had already been implemented in other software.
He's apparently done with that now, so it's time for Cockos to take it up and put it in officially.
I would not be so harsh about helgo boss. He had a great idea an put it into my favorite DAW.
It lacks further development, that´s true. But on the other hand it works as a clip launcher for 20 €.
I would hope that Justin might adopt this great idea into something natively provided by Reaper.
TheWhistler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:12 AM   #995
themixtape

I don't suppose there will ever be support for the brand-new Launchpad X or Launchpad Mini MK3, at this point... will there be? I hope so.... ugh
Old 10-19-2019, 02:07 AM   #996
Piszpan

If Novation were smart, they would turn to Helgoboss with an offer to finance this project.
Piszpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #997
zookthespook

development abandoned >?
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:42 PM   #998
rforssell

I contacted Benjamin yesterday via email and he told me that

Quote:
...the projects are not abandoned, just paused
He mentioned that he'll start working on his own projects again next year.

So I guess we can hope for some future updates after all.
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:29 AM   #999
_jon

great news!
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #1000
xav

Playtime is THE plugin that could make me choose Reaper and leave Ableton Live (so expensive, and so incomplete, with poor upgrades). Anyway I must admit there are things to fix. First of all, I cannot leave Playtime vst in the plugin folder because Sibelius always crashes.
Then, I could not manage to simply copu and past clips, like I do it in Ableton (I always have to drag and drop from Media explorer - I cannot copy from arrange view or even from session view). I didn't find follow actions... If this program is still upgraded, it's certain I buy it... And I feel 20€ is really cheap for what it offers!
Congratulations
xav is offline   Reply With Quote