Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #121
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Yep, it's native now. You can load note name files in the files menue of the midi editor. The same file structure is used, so the files posted in this thread still work.
Thank you, cool addition!

- Mario
________
SXV450

Last edited by mabian; 01-19-2011 at 12:41 AM.
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #122
357mag
Human being with feelings

So I have to preface each drum and cymbal name with a number? Are there any rules as to how you have to make the numbers look?

Like can you just write:

1 Kick Drum
2 Snare Top
3 Snare Bottom
4 Tom 1

Like that and so on?
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:32 PM   #123
dingir_xul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
So I have to preface each drum and cymbal name with a number? Are there any rules as to how you have to make the numbers look?

Like can you just write:

1 Kick Drum
2 Snare Top
3 Snare Bottom
4 Tom 1

Like that and so on?
Have a look at my S2.0 map here:

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/1566/S20_MIDI_note_names.txt

Find out which sounds correspond with which number in your software and then:

ex.
01 [Tom 1] Alias
02 [Tom 2] Alias
03 [Tom 3] Alias
04 and so on.

save as a text file

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Antec P150 | NeoHE 430 | Intel E6400 | Intel D975XBX | 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 2 x 250GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA | Windows XP Home | Cubase SE1 | REAPER v2.4x | Tascam US-428 | POD X3 | DFHS CV & S2.0 | AKG C1000S

probablyworse.com
dingir_xul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 AM   #124
hannebambel

Default a couple suggestions ...

Right now im trying to get the EZD Latin Percussion done, but its just a pain in the butt because certain sounds are scattered across the keyboard outside their specific instrument groups f.e.
Code:
127 Crescendo Shekere
126 On Beat Shekere	
125 Off Beat Shekere	
124 Beat Shekere
70 Beat Shekere
and that would make this totally stressy to work with. Now Schwa said
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
... It would be pretty easy to extend this plugin to do note mapping and folding as well, for instance if you have only a few notes you want to name but the vsti that's receiving them expects them scattered all over the place (like 0=kick, 100=snare or something), you could set it up so the display shows 0=kick, 1=snare, and midi input note 1 will get mapped to output note 100.

On the other hand you can already do that, mostly, with the IX midi keymap JS. so maybe it's better to keep this plugin totally simple and mono-functioned.
Can you pretty please give us the feature to easy-peasy change mappings in the *.txt files?

Imho its is such a bummer having to remap single notes via an additional js plugin every time.

And while working a lot with the notename feature and tweaking *.txt's to my needs i would like to propose a sort of 'grouping' feature where text included in cornered brackets f.e.
Code:
45 [smth] smthelse
in the *.txt files could be displayed bold [edited] in the midi editor [/edited] or in any other way different from the rest so one could easier scan for the right note ...

Please share your actual thoughts about this ...

Cheers,
hb.

Last edited by hannebambel; 10-05-2008 at 07:42 AM. Reason: clearfication
hannebambel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #125
ArdeII

Default Steven Slate v3.0

Is there something in v3.0 which replaces this note namer plugin?

Here is the name map for Steven Slate v3.0 though
Attached Files
File Type: txt Slate 3.0_MIDI_note_names.txt (1,008 Bytes, 262 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #126
gofer
-blänk-

You don't need the note namer plug since Reaper 2.something.
You can load note name files directly from the MIDI editor's file menue. Or change any single note name on the fly by double-rightclicking on the piano key.

Any new namefiles are very appreciated, thanks a lot, ArdeII. You might consider to put it up in the DrumMap section of Reaper stash: https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/MIDI-Drum-Maps.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #127
ArdeII

Thanks Gofe for the info! Didn't know that you don't need note namer plugin anymore

The drum map is now in Reaper Resources section
Old 05-14-2015, 02:22 AM   #128
vanhaze

Dear Reapers,

I want to use the note map file "GM Standard", which i found here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/tag/MIDI-Drum-Maps

So i downloaded that file and put it in MIDINoteNames sub folder.

In Midi Editor, i load that file ("load note names from file) and i switch to view mode drum map.

Result: no GM note names, still only the numbers on the keys.

Am i doing something wrong ?
Maybe a Reaper v500pre31 bug ?

I am on Reaper 500pre31 - 64bit, OSX 10.10.3
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #129
gofer
-blänk-

Works fine here. Not sure what could be going wrong. There's not much to it, you don't even need to switch to drum view. As soon as I load note names they just appear immediately. Maybe something went wrong with the download and your file is empty? You can check that with any text editor (it's a plain and simple *.txt file).

The only other thing that I can think of is that note name files are always loaded to the "channel for new events" and that channel only. There's nothing in a Reaper note name file that tells Reaper "load these names to channel 10". If you then switch to view/write another channel, then the loaded names aren't shown (but names you might have loaded to that other channel).

I doubt it is possible at all, but maybe you somehow managed to load the names, say, to channel 1 but the MIDI editor is set to view channel 10 (where GM drums are expected to happen) - or vice versa...
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 AM   #130
DarkStar

Shameless bump:
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1404
Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #131
vanhaze

Gofer & Darkstar:

Much appreciated for your help;

Seemed i downloaded the file in a wrong way, (directly clicking on it) so indeed, it wasn't an actually text file.
Downloaded it again (used download button) and now the file loads properly in Reaper ME :0)

Darkstar, you are right about your FR for note name files, it's cumbersome now ..

Another thing: when loaded the GM note map file, i can't seem to return to the "normal" piano roll view, where you only see the back and white keys without names in them.

I would like to toggle between this "normal" piano keys view and the GM note name view ...
Old 05-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #132
gofer
-blänk-

I think that (DarkStar's) FR needs a new discussion. I think it would be much neater if there were means to assign to specific/multiple/all channels in the note name file dialog instead of clinging to the setting of the channel selector.

The way I work with MIDI channels in Reaper, my "Channel selector" is set to "all" at all times and stays there even when I switch the channel new events are written to(unless I explicitely want to see a channel exclusively). But of course I want to assign note names to individual channels. And I can, currently. Not sure if I could if that FR would be implemented like that.

Btw, what you describe here
Quote:
* Reason
At the moment
a) if you load a Note name file when the Channel selector is "All" then the names are used when the Channel is "All" or "1" only.
is not the case.
The names are shown only as long as the "channel for new events" that was valid when you loaded the file is (still or again) the current "channel for new events". Has not much to do with "All" at all. Try this:

- open a midi editor of a new item on a new track (just so it's a default state) and assign a note name file while the selector is at "All".
- switch the selector to any channel but 1 (any but 1, because ch1 is the default "channel for new events", so you assigned the names to ch 1 in the previous step)
at this point the names should have vanished not because channel 1(to which the names are assigned) is not shown, but because it's not the "channel for new events"
- switch back to "All"
-> the names will not re-appear. because the channel for new events is still not ch1

- now use the filter window to set "Draw events on channel" to 1 (or use the action "Set channel for new events").
=> Voila, the names are back.

Note name load and display both always obey "New events channel". Consistently. It's that darn channel dropdown which is tricking everyone.
The misunderstanding is because of the nature of the channel selector dropdown (combining two aspects - visibility and new-events-channel) - which should better be independent. It's one of the silliest UI elements in Reaper, IMO. Neither does it help me as a selector for new events - because only in rare case I want allother channels to not be displayed, nor does it help me as a display - because (as I want all channels to be displayed) I only ever see it say "All".

I guess it shows that I don't like the selector, thus I will not support making anything rely on the setting of that bitch.

Last edited by gofer; 05-14-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #133
DarkStar

Yes, that FR needs revisiting - after all, it was 5 1/2 years ago
Old 05-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #134
vanhaze

Gofer, thank you for your great explanation.

However, it all dazzles me to a way that i become really sick (lol).
And that's totally not your fault, you are just clarifying things.

To be honest: i am with you and Breeder : this whole note names map thingy needs serious re-thinking on Dev side.

Totally NOT- intuitive in any manner and not understandable at all for the "normal" Reaper user.

Just my 50 Cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I think that (DarkStar's) FR needs a new discussion. I think it would be much neater if there were means to assign to specific/multiple/all channels in the note name file dialog instead of clinging to the setting of the channel selector.

The way I work with MIDI channels in Reaper, my "Channel selector" is set to "all" at all times and stays there even when I switch the channel new events are written to(unless I explicitely want to see a channel exclusively). But of course I want to assign note names to individual channels. And I can, currently. Not sure if I could if that FR would be implemented like that.

Btw, what you describe here

is not the case.
The names are shown only as long as the "channel for new events" that was valid when you loaded the file is (still or again) the current "channel for new events". Has not much to do with "All" at all. Try this:

- open a midi editor of a new item on a new track (just so it's a default state) and assign a note name file while the selector is at "All".
- switch the selector to any channel but 1 (any but 1, because ch1 is the default "channel for new events", so you assigned the names to ch 1 in the previous step)
at this point the names should have vanished not because channel 1(to which the names are assigned) is not shown, but because it's not the "channel for new events"
- switch back to "All"
-> the names will not re-appear. because the channel for new events is still not ch1

- now use the filter window to set "Draw events on channel" to 1 (or use the action "Set channel for new events").
=> Voila, the names are back.

Note name load and display both always obey "New events channel". Consistently. It's that darn channel dropdown which is tricking everyone.
The misunderstanding is because of the nature of the channel selector dropdown (combining two aspects - visibility and new-events-channel) - which should better be independent. It's one of the silliest UI elements in Reaper, IMO. Neither does it help me as a selector for new events - because only in rare case I want allother channels to not be displayed, nor does it help me as a display - because (as I want all channels to be displayed) I only ever see it say "All".

I guess it shows that I don't like the selector, thus I will not support making anything rely on the setting of that bitch.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #135
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Yes, that FR needs revisiting - after all, it was 5 1/2 years ago

Yep . But the stupid dropdown and the behavior according to note name files is still the same as back then. I see me bitch about that bugger in the FR discussion thread . And I see me trying to explain what I tried to explain above. Deja vu type of thing...

@vanhaze,
while note names could certainly be better, for example for cases where you want the same file on multiple channels, I think the dazzling is not note name's fault but all down to that darn dropdown box.

EDIT: To save note name's honors, do as I did ages ago. Have a bunch of 16 buttons on the Piano Roll toolbar to switch "Channel for new events". They will immediately remove all dazzling about note name files. If channel 5 is lit, then you load note names to channel 5. You will only see these note names when channel 5 is lit. Easy-peasy. What's more, I always know which channel I will create events on.
Apart from when someone here in the forums reminds me there is that trainwreck of a dropdown down there that constantly tells me I am looking at "All channels" I completely ignore it and it's for the better of both of us - I'd scratch it off the monitor, if I could. .

Last edited by gofer; 05-14-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #136
vanhaze

LOL, peace !