Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
amoretam
Human being with feelings

Default reaper on usb and plugins/VI's

hello people,
I have my project in reaper and I am likely to take it to other studios for continuing the production..

I wonder what would happen if they don't have the plugins and VI's i have instantiated in the sesion..

I mean, will they open on their system even tough they don't have them installed??

What about addictive drums, or the waves bundle??

Thanks a lot, this is a simple question for a simple answer i guess

EDIT: ups I forgot, what about the inputs and outputs assigments, Will reaper on the USB recognize the other system's soundcard??

Thanks
amoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
amoretam

no one>??
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
danfuerth

It's bad, it's ugly but true

NO they must also have the Same Identical VSTi's or VST effects installed.

Nothing we can do to change that.

You could bounce down your stems and save them that way they have been processed through your VSTi's or VST effects

But this is not rocket science here. What you have installed and the project is using must also be installed on their Daw as far as Plugins.
danfuerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
dea-man

Just make sure all your tracks are audio. Print all the VST's, so they are all audio.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Just make sure all your tracks are audio. Print all the VST's, so they are all audio.
ok, so only at home can I work with my project... that reaper on usb feature is then useless!
I wanted to be able to jump to other studios and be able to MIX or go on with the production aspect of a session..

Could I at least use the freeze function so I can track in other studios and then be able to roll back the tracks to their original state??

Thanks a lot
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
TimOBrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
ok, so only at home can I work with my project... that reaper on usb feature is then useless!
No, you could put any simple .dll vsts in a folder on the usb stick and point reaper to that folder.

The only limitation is how many gigabytes the stick can hold. (and I wouldn't try streaming huge sample sets off a stick.) You can also use a usb hard drive .... its not unusual for the 'pros' to take hard drives with their entire setup with them so they can continue working at other studios.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
amoretam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
No, you could put any simple .dll vsts in a folder on the usb stick and point reaper to that folder.

The only limitation is how many gigabytes the stick can hold. (and I wouldn't try streaming huge sample sets off a stick.) You can also use a usb hard drive .... its not unusual for the 'pros' to take hard drives with their entire setup with them so they can continue working at other studios.
ok now I am confused.... your answer is contradicting other answers above...
You say that I can use the Dll's of any plugin and point Reaper to that folder in the USB correct?
So it doesn't matter that those plugins are not installed on the other system, Yes or Not?

For example say I use fabfilter/waves plugins in my system and then go to the other system which doesn't have those plugins installed...

would IK be able to go on mixing my project ?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
dea-man

I don't understand. Why not just take the audio? For what reason do you need to take your VST's.

Try to put a couple of .dll's on a USB stick and stick it in another computer. Then you will know.

I think it depends on the VST. Is it a rompler that needs tons of samples stored on your computer?

Also, Reaper has a command somewhere, which will gather all samples ready for just such an occasion as going to another studio.

Someone chime in here, please, with what that is.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
amoretam

Quote:
I don't understand. Why not just take the audio? For what reason do you need to take your VST's.

Try to put a couple of .dll's on a USB stick and stick it in another computer. Then you will know.

I think it depends on the VST. Is it a rompler that needs tons of samples stored on your computer?

Also, Reaper has a command somewhere, which will gather all samples ready for just such an occasion as going to another studio.

Someone chime in here, please, with what that is.
please someone chime in, I asked the question about FabFilter/Waves/soundtoys, etc.... and continue mixing in other studios with none of those plugins installed
Old 03-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
dea-man

Quote:
please someone chime in, I asked the question about FabFilter/Waves/soundtoys, etc.... and continue mixing in other studios with none of those plugins installed
FabFilter/Waves/soundtoys, I would guess that you could probably take the .dll's and be OK, but since I have no need to do so, I can't be sure.

Don't worry, someone will pop in with the answer.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
amoretam

Quote:
FabFilter/Waves/soundtoys, I would guess that you could probably take the .dll's and be OK, but since I have no need to do so, I can't be sure.

Don't worry, someone will pop in with the answer.
thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
serr

Quote:
hello people,
I have my project in reaper and I am likely to take it to other studios for continuing the production..

I wonder what would happen if they don't have the plugins and VI's i have instantiated in the sesion..

I mean, will they open on their system even tough they don't have them installed??

What about addictive drums, or the waves bundle??

Thanks a lot, this is a simple question for a simple answer i guess

EDIT: ups I forgot, what about the inputs and outputs assigments, Will reaper on the USB recognize the other system's soundcard??

Thanks
You should always assume that someone else will NOT have all your plugins.

You should render any important creations. You'll be happy you did if you ever revisit the session years later as well.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote