Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
vanhaze
Human being with feelings

Default For Protoolzers stepping over to Reaper.

This week i saw this incredible good looking Protools 12 Theme for Reaper:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1886/Pro%20Tools%2012.5

How odd it's not mentioned in this thread at all, cause it looks incredibly good.
It's even FREE.
Many Kudo's to Dev !

For people stepping over from Protools (a.k.a Notools) to Reaper, this theme might be very welcome to them.

And it looks great on Macbook Retina :0)
Currently i have it as my default Reaper Theme, on my Macbook Retina and Hackintosh.
Cause, although i hate Protools in general, it's GUI always attracted to me.

Thanks Dev !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #2
sightlessness

Lol, it' pretty awesome thanks for sharing. If someone made a mod coz everything seems fine except the TCP track indicator sucks (meaning it's fugly and you have to squint to really tell what number it is). But don't get me wrong, again, overall is gorgeous, lol . Even the bg color is great when plugins are floating around over it you can tell them apart (don't expect to get what I am referring to). And I feel this is a mod in a way of some other themes out there (not complaining). Honestly I feel I am using a pro daw now, lol, yes no sarcasm I am just happy, lol.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
vseanv

Sweet! Thanks!
vseanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
MikComposer

I might get it and install portable version of reaper, so nosy clients would stop bothering me why am i not using pro tools
Old 12-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #5
vdubreeze

But the theme this is based on, Albert's ProTools theme, isn't a free one, is it?
Old 12-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #6
airon

Based on the screenshots, it does not appear to be based on the Gold edition of Alberts theme, which is the version supported by donations.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
lucas_LCS

It looks like it's based on Albert's free Pro x-Tools v1
Albert-C (Pro x-tools v1.0.1)

/
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
sightlessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
It looks like it's based on Albert's free Pro x-Tools v1
Albert-C (Pro x-tools v1.0.1)

/
Yeah but for some reason I like more the TCP on this one, even though Albert-s is more polished.

Still that TCP number's color and position gets on my nerves, lol.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #9
emid

I really like this theme. Albert's is the one which I am really comfortable with. It is also perfect for small resolutions. But this new one is awesome as well. Only thing is there are no modifications to MCP, TCP etc.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
BRBWaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Can we mix themes? Taking tcp from A, mcp from B?
You'd have to rewrite both themes as one single theme. Probably way more effort than it's worth. But, there are some people on here who take commission for custom theme work. You could probably ask them if something like this was possible.
BRBWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #11
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
This week i saw this incredible good looking Protools 12 Theme for Reaper:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1886/Pro%20Tools%2012.5

How odd it's not mentioned in this thread at all, cause it looks incredibly good.
It's even FREE.
Many Kudo's to Dev !

For people stepping over from Protools (a.k.a Notools) to Reaper, this theme might be very welcome to them.

And it looks great on Macbook Retina :0)
Currently i have it as my default Reaper Theme, on my Macbook Retina and Hackintosh.
Cause, although i hate Protools in general, it's GUI always attracted to me.

Thanks Dev !

WOW!!!!!!!!

This is really quite something.

The Reaper community never ceases to amaze me.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #12
peter5992

Hmm ... does anyone know how to color the wave forums? They are white, against a white background ... doesn't really help visibility.

One of the nice features of Pro Tools is that you can choose the color of tracks and waveforms, which is especially helpful as projects are getting large.

Thanks!
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #13
PhantomJiuJitsu

I love this theme. It's my new favorite. My only question is, am I able to resize the height of the docker with the mixer in it? It's far too large most of the time and I want to keep it docked, but I cannot figure out how to resize it.
PhantomJiuJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #14
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Hmm ... does anyone know how to color the wave forums? They are white, against a white background ... doesn't really help visibility.

One of the nice features of Pro Tools is that you can choose the color of tracks and waveforms, which is especially helpful as projects are getting large.

Thanks!
Go to the Actions and search "tweaker" to find the theme tweak/configuration window. Somewhere in the middle are the media color options for wave and background when selected and not selected. Changing the track color in the project may also affect this depending on the theme but I'm not sure if it will for this theme.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #15
The Bunker

Anyone else getting a graphics bug with this? The playback rate slider is falling outside of its designated area as well as the numbers for "start, end, length" which appear to the left of the transport buttons.

Also where can I get the splash screen, the description says the file is in "the archives", excuse my ignorance but where is this "archive"?
The Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
The Bunker

Also I have recently started using track grouping and VCAs in Reaper and while I think the grouping matrix is great, I was wondering with this theme is it possible to create a button on the tracks in the mixer panel which show what groups a set of tracks belong to at a glance? And to also allow you to turn those on and off like you can do in Pro Tools? This way you could also much more easily assign certain tracks to more than one group and switch between those assignments much quicker than having to navigate through the matrix. This would complete this theme and make it one of the best!
Old 05-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
airon

The archive is the file you downloaded. .ReaperThemeZip files are simply ZIP archives, renamed.

Make a copy of the archive and rename the extension to .zip

Now unpack it the same way as any other ZIP file.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:34 AM   #18
The Bunker

Ah ok, cool makes sense. I actually have already found the final edit of this theme which is much better and am using that. However there is a couple of things I would like to change in the theme which would make it almost perfect for me.

One is I want to change the number of options available in the mixer track layouts. More specifically I want to be able to add more colour options for the faders. At the moment only red and the default white is available. How is this possible?

Also Is there anyway to add additional buttons to the mixer tracks and give them custom functionalities? I would love to be able to add a button to every track in the mixer that has the name of the groups that track is assigned to and which allows you to change that or turn it on and off. Like in protools. Is this possible?
Old 05-28-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
airon

Custom buttons, no.

Coloured faders. Those are graphics files, PNG files actually.

Copy the existing layout and swap out the reference to the PNG file to point it at your new fader image. I suggest creating those new images by using rectangular blocks of colour overlayed on the standard fader image of the theme at low opacity in an image editor such as Gimp, Affinity Photo or Photoshop. There are others of course.

Indicating group membership is only available via those colour indicators, whose form you can pick in the preferences.

Do not underestimate the power of mouse modifiers, keyboard shortcuts(ther i one for inspecting track group parameters already) and scripts.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:55 AM   #20
The Bunker

Hey Airon, can you please explain the steps I need to take to add more fader colours?

The theme I use now already has one additional fader colour, RED. I now have found that file and made a few copies of it and changed the colours to blue, yellow, green etc... now I have all the different files with the right colours but how do I get this theme to "see" those new files?

Another question, in the layout dropdown menu for the mixer tracks there is 4 options currently, one is default, one is the a03--Red Fader (which turns the fader red - also what the hell is "a03" referring to?), the other option is fa-BUS the last one is fb-folder. I don't understand what these last two are supposed to do they dont seem to change the appearance of anything. But there are two folders in the themes folder with these names and some image files in them.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
The Bunker

Actually I just managed to change the fader colours using the config txt file. Super easy!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
The Bunker

And another question: I have unzipped the theme file and made the edit. I zipped it back up using winrar and it ruined the theme. Is there something special I need to do to create the zip file?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #23
The Bunker

Another strange thing I just noticed is that the new faders I created do not line up exactly on 0db when I double click them. It appears they are a little bit bigger than the original faders so the little dent in the middle falls above 0db when it is supposed to be 0db. This is very annoying. I have no idea how this has happened, I literally just changed the colours of the original faders and saved them as new PNG files. When I open both images in pain they are exactly the same size and the file properties indicate both files are exactly the same number of pixels in height and width. What gives?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
The Bunker

I hope its ok for me to post these but these are the files can someone please have a look at these and tell me why this is happening?
Attached Images
File Type: png mcp_volthumb.png (1.5 KB, 345 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt rtconfig.txt (15.7 KB, 245 views)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #25
The Bunker

And here is the other one.
Attached Images
File Type: png mcp_volthumb.png (3.9 KB, 317 views)
Old 05-31-2017, 02:01 AM   #26
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bunker View Post
And here is the other one.
The lines on the right edge of the yellow fader appear to be red instead of pink.
suggest you duplicate the pink lines from the red fader to yellow fader.
this should be the cause of your issue, but I cannot guarantee it.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #27
Pet

I think so^^^ too. In addition to lucas another tip: select the pink lines and cut them out to a new layer (talking about PhotoShop). Put that layer above all others. So you can edit the other layers to your liking without touching the pink which MUST BE EXACTLY 255/0/255 RGB.
Seems like you used a filter for the second example and maybe chose "Select all pixels" in PS which can be seen at the purple frame. Keep an eye on the shadow of the fader too, it is not selected with this method, cause it's too transparent.

Try to move the fader cap up/down pixelwise to make the 0dB thing. BTW, this is also happening in the Default theme, only the large and session layouts fit the zeroline exactly, but I'm not sure if this is intended or not.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:33 AM   #28
The Bunker

Oh wow cool, two responses! Thanks everyone, gonna try this today and report back!!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #29
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
The lines on the right edge of the yellow fader appear to be red instead of pink.
suggest you duplicate the pink lines from the red fader to yellow fader.
this should be the cause of your issue, but I cannot guarantee it.
This did the trick! Many many many thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #30
The Bunker

What would now make this theme complete and great IMO now would be floating faders for sends like you get in ProTools. Is it possible to even do this within the Reaper environment?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:44 AM   #31
marsmellow

Quote:
This did the trick! Many many many thanks!!!
Hi Bunker, can you upload your version to the stash?
I don't know whether it's allowed, since it's somebody else work.
On the other hand I think it can, since it's open source.

Thanks! ;-)
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #32
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmellow View Post
Hi Bunker, can you upload your version to the stash?
I don't know whether it's allowed, since it's somebody else work.
On the other hand I think it can, since it's open source.

Thanks! ;-)
Ah, I don't know... am I allowed to do that? I don't think I even have a stash ID or even know how to upload stuff to the stash... you want me to just email it to you?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:24 AM   #33
airon

You can upload anything up to some unknown size to the stash.

It helps if you make an account on stash.reaper.fm . That way you can replace files and edit descriptions later on. I do that all the time when I replace a downloadable script.

You can also include credits to the other authors of the themes. And you can remove it should any of it need to be.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #34
The Bunker

Yea ok, I will upload it then, the only issue is when I zipped up the files it messed up the theme. At the moment I am running it unzipped. I can zip it up and upload it but I can't guarantee that it will work at your end unless you unzip it.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #35
The Bunker

Here it is:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1999/Pr...eaperTheme.zip
Old 06-05-2017, 06:11 PM   #36
Pet

Your theme is named *.ReaperTheme.zip instead of *.ReaperThemeZip (without the dot before "Zip"). Renaming it without the dot works as expected.
Another obstacle could be that you forgot to modify your saved theme (your "ProTools 12.5_F_edit.ReaperTheme"). If you save it as unpacked theme while editing, it points to the directory of your file system...I'm just guessing.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #37
The Bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Your theme is named *.ReaperTheme.zip instead of *.ReaperThemeZip (without the dot before "Zip"). Renaming it without the dot works as expected.
I know, I just uploaded it that way, I already tried doing that and it didn't work so I didn't want to update something that hadn't worked on my machine as I thought that might cause more confusion for whoever would download it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet View Post
Another obstacle could be that you forgot to modify your saved theme (your "ProTools 12.5_F_edit.ReaperTheme"). If you save it as unpacked theme while editing, it points to the directory of your file system...I'm just guessing
Hmmmm but don't you have to unpack it in order to modify it???
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #38
Pet

Quote:
Hmmmm but don't you have to unpack it in order to modify it???
Yes, of course you have to. What I wanted to say is, that if you unpack the theme to another folder than the usual "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\ColorThem es" to, let's say, in "D:\REAPERmods\ColorThemes" and save it then, THAT path is written in the *.ReaperTheme.

There are then two lines in the *.ReaperTheme: "ui_img=ProTools 12.5_F_edit" says which folder the grafics are in AND "ui_img_path=D:\REAPERmods\ColorThemes" says where this folder is.
If you zip it then with this second path line, it can be that the theme doesn't find the grafics and uses the v1 grafics instead.
[EDIT on:] I should always try out what I want to post before posting, but I was sooo sure......Result: even if the "second" path points to a wrong path, the theme is loaded correctly...REAPER is so cool...anyway =>

=> [EDIT off] But in your upload it was O.K., after removing the dot it worked like it should. What I wrote was just an idea, what your problem could be.
----------------------
Now I'm curious what you have done with the fadercaps, didn't look at it yesterday, it was too late at night here.

Last edited by Pet; 06-06-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #39
The Bunker

Oh really? So the upload works and the graphics aren't all screwed up? Ok I will check at my end too, thanks.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 AM   #40
marsmellow

Quote:
Thanks for the upload, Bunker!

A short question: is there still an issue with the uploaded theme or is it solved?

Thanks again!

Thumbs up ;-)
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote