CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
gcpmusic
Human being with feelings

Default NINJAM and REAPER

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and to NINJAM and REAPER software, I like first to say hello to this community and thank you in advace to anyone here for sharing critical info and make the musicians community stronger.

As a new by I have 2 Q. as I am not sure how this works.

1. Is it possible to play live, I mean "in the some time on click" with someone far away via internet with NINJAM?

2. Is necessary to use REAPER in order NINJAM to work?

Many thanks again
gC
gcpmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
pljones

Point 1 is explained here: http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

In brief, because even at light speed, finite distance cannot be crossed without delay, there will always be some elapse time in communicating between any two points on Planet Earth. The internet does not run anywhere close to light speed and, indeed, doesn't even run reliably at any one speed most of the time, so you also need buffering. NINJAM takes care of this by ensuring participants all know where "1" is. Each participant's "1" is always in line with the others'. However, it's not the same "1" -- you'll hear your "1" "now" but other participants will have to wait until it's been buffered to line up with their "1".

Point 2 is explained here: http://www.cockos.com/ninjam/

In brief, no, there is other software available (see above link). However, Reaper will probably give the most pleasant experience.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
gcpmusic

Many thanks pljones for the explanation. Actually I already had a look to the link for the Q.1 you kindly provided and that what confused me in the first place.
Basically the short answer to Q.1 is no, is not like a real live session where 1-2-3-4 and everyone start play on the beat.

What I undrstand is more like a long distance recording, where I can record an audio track in a distant computer and everyone can built on that. Which is still great but the word jam would be misleading.

Please let me know if I am on right track with my understanding.

All the best
gC
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
gcpmusic

OK I get it now :-)
Old 10-13-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
pljones

It's somewhere between "yes" and "no", rather than an outright "no". You're playing live. It's not like in a recording where you can go back and fix things. You go "1, 2, 3, 4", everyone hears it and comes in on the following "1". And it'll be the same "1" you were on *at the time*. It's just by that time, you'll be on a later "1".
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote