Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Request for recommendation of reverb for vocal

Hi:

I know what I am looking for in a vocal reverb, but, I am struggling to know how to explain it.

First, I recognize that there are tons of reverb plugins that offer all sorts of reverb choices, so, for the purposes of this question, I am not looking for any specific reverb or settings.

What I am wanting is a reverb that would help my voice sound 'Fuller' and 'Richer', I guess what might be used on Barbra Streisand or Michael Buble' would have when they are in the recording studio.

My question goes to the 'type' of reverb that is used?
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Steven
Old 11-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
serr

One of the things done on the mixing board is eq after the reverb and it can have a bigger impact than the type of reverb.

Pull up any reverb. ReaVerb or whatever.
Pull up a ReaEQ after it on the same track.
Make band 1 high pass
Make band 4 low pass

Roll the frequency of the low pass from the highest frequency downward until the annoying "swishy" stuff in the highs goes away.

Roll the frequency of the high pass from lowest frequency upward until the unwanted "proximity" in the lows goes away.

Start with a reverb that's close to what you have in your head. Dial in the EQ to taste.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
One of the things done on the mixing board is eq after the reverb and it can have a bigger impact than the type of reverb.

Pull up any reverb. ReaVerb or whatever.
Pull up a ReaEQ after it on the same track.
Make band 1 high pass
Make band 4 low pass

Roll the frequency of the low pass from the highest frequency downward until the annoying "swishy" stuff in the highs goes away.

Roll the frequency of the high pass from lowest frequency upward until the unwanted "proximity" in the lows goes away.

Start with a reverb that's close to what you have in your head. Dial in the EQ to taste.
This is excellent advice. Make sure you are running your reverb on it's own send track, rather than as an insert on the actual vocal track, then you can treat it without effecting the original vocal sound, like Serr suggested. A de-esser and some saturation is often nice on the reverb send track too (place these before the reverb plugin, and place the EQ after it).

In terms of actual plugins - more often than not I find myself reaching for trusty old waves rverb for vocal reverb, it's not fancy but it melts into a mix nicely and with very little effort. Load up one of the plate presets, throw on a high pass around 200hz and you might find the sound you're after. Plates are generally my go-to for vocals. If you have valhalla plates then try that too. Most reverb plugins have a 'plate' setting though.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
D Rocks

I could also add that using a delay before the reverb can be a useful thing to test as it can make the sound bounce a little in stereo fashion and create some interesting ambiance.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
shmuelyosef

You are getting specific answers to a specific question...(i.e. "What Reverb to Use?")...as opposed to "What do I want to achieve with my vocal mix?"

You might want to think a little more holistically about what you want to achieve. If you are looking to buy a reverb plugin to 'improve' your vocal mixing, this could be a deep hole.

I am not necessarily a 'shill' for products, but have found the iZotope Nectar family of products to provide an excellent 'holistic' approach to putting your vocals appropriately into the mix. The Nectar 'Elements' version is a stripped down version putting the essentials into an affordable project. Might be worth a demo and at least let you hear some of the options for getting a professional sounding vocal placed in your mix.

but...ditto on plate reverbs
Old 11-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
sjs94704

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I have taken your suggestions about using a PLATE reverb and am getting good results.