Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
uglycustard
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + Impulse 25 HUI - continuous MIDI pulse note in record mode

Hi All,

I've just updated my Impulse 25 firmware and removed Automap from my Mac and have followed the setup for using Impulse HUI with Reaper. When I set a track input to be MIDI, Impulse 25, All channels, and go into record mode, there is a continuous pulse message registering in the track meter (HUI heartbeat maybe?) and if I start recording, the pulse is recorded as midi note 00 (c-1). Quite annoying, especially if using a plugin that produces a sound on that midi note which can then be heard. Anyone know how to stop this?

macOS: 10.13.6 High Sierra
Reaper: v6.14
Novation Impulse 25 firmware update as of 26th Feb 2021
Novation Mac USB Driver 3.1

Thanks.
uglycustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:40 AM   #2
uglycustard

Default Resolved

For anyone coming across this thread with the same problem at a later date, the issue was solved by disabling the Impulse - HUI device in Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices and enabling the Impulse - MIDI device instead - which seems counter intuitive given I was setting it up to work with HUI but it does still seem to work as a controller using HUI, i.e. to control DAW controls using the encoders or transport controls, but you need to enable Impulse - MIDI to get any sound from your plugin when using the Impulse as the input device.
uglycustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #3
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglycustard View Post
For anyone coming across this thread
Thanks for heads up. I have an Impulse 25 but haven't updated the firmware as it doesn't get used a lot. Keys are a bit alien for me Come from guitar.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:17 AM   #4
Boogieshoes

I finally updated the firmware and removed AutoMap, updated the USB drivers etc but wow the guide for setting the Impulse up in Reaper is very Apple biased and unhelpful. The OSC/Controller settings they suggest are just as Mel Brooks would say ‘pure frontier gibberish’

Whatever it is that up with it, using any of the features of the impulse 25 over and above the basic keyboard is a complete failure. It’s sadly been a very mistaken purchase that is just cluttering up the place and needs to go.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
LugNut

Hi,

That pulse note is a ping that is defined in the original spec. Although I've found that communication is still possible with some devices even without a response to the ping.
I use midi translator pro to filter out the ping note.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote