Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
GtrGeorge
Human being with feelings

Default I hear a 1khz tone when in record mode..why?

Its weird..only when I put the track into record..I hear it. A constant 1khz tone. Luckily it doesn't get recorded...but its always there and ANNOYING.
Anyone know why? And How to get rid of it?
GtrGeorge
GtrGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Stella645

Monitor feedback loop?

You'll need to give some info about what you're doing. Equipment, settings, etc.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
GtrGeorge

Default what I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Monitor feedback loop?

You'll need to give some info about what you're doing. Equipment, settings, etc.

Dell Laptop ,1 TB RAM,1 TB SSD, 8 core cpu at 3.6gHz, Focusrite Saffire6 USB interface. Event 202/202 powered monitors. Reaper 5.9
Old 06-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #4
Stella645

OK...so as you're not giving up much info willingly lets try some specific questions

Are you monitoring over the speakers when you hear this?
Does it do it if you turn down speakers and use headphones?
How loud is it compared to the audio you want to hear?
Recording what? Audio? Midi? Mic? DI guitar?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
GtrGeorge

Default some specific questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
OK...so as you're not giving up much info willingly lets try some specific questions

Are you monitoring over the speakers when you hear this? YES
Does it do it if you turn down speakers and use headphones? Its IN the audio path so ,
if the speakers are turned up loud, it's there..if you mute the speakers 9no audio of any kind to be heard) then it's NOT heard.

How loud is it compared to the audio you want to hear?very low but present. Like -30db below Zero. I doesn't get recorded into any track...but it SURE is annoying.

Recording what? Audio? YES
Midi? YES
Mic? Not Sure, havent tried that. DI guitar?Not Sure, havent tried that.
I hope these clues help. If anyone knows a quick solution, great....but if you dont I can live with it. It doesn't get printed with the audio..so that is a good thing. It's just annoying!!!! -GtrGeorge

What I use (Gear).
Dell Laptop Win10 OS ,1 TB RAM,1 TB SSD, 8 core cpu at 3.6gHz, Focusrite Saffire6 USB interface. Event 202/202 powered monitors. Reaper 5.9 headphone out of Saffire 6 USB is to weak , so it goes to a Live Wire Solutions HA204 headphone distribution amp, which allows me to get large loud signals for recording and monitoring into my headphones, which are AKG 240. Note" The audio output of the A/D interface (Saffire) goes to a Mackie Big Knob passive monitor controller. Its just a few rotary pots and a mute switch for fast selection of monitors or muting. I only use for muting, as I only have one set of studio monitors.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #6
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrGeorge View Post
I hope these clues help. If anyone knows a quick solution, great....but if you dont I can live with it. It doesn't get printed with the audio..so that is a good thing. It's just annoying!!!! -GtrGeorge

What I use (Gear).
Dell Laptop Win10 OS ,1 TB RAM,1 TB SSD, 8 core cpu at 3.6gHz, Focusrite Saffire6 USB interface. Event 202/202 powered monitors. Reaper 5.9 headphone out of Saffire 6 USB is to weak , so it goes to a Live Wire Solutions HA204 headphone distribution amp, which allows me to get large loud signals for recording and monitoring into my headphones, which are AKG 240. Note" The audio output of the A/D interface (Saffire) goes to a Mackie Big Knob passive monitor controller. Its just a few rotary pots and a mute switch for fast selection of monitors or muting. I only use for muting, as I only have one set of studio monitors.
I don't know what might be, but a little correction: I pretty sure you don't have 1TB of RAM on a notebook hahahahaha

Also just some questions to try to clarify what might be
1- do you have this problem in other projects also? if yes probally some weird interference
2- this problem started now, before there was not this problem?
3- This happens in the monitors, the headphones, have you tested directly in the interface output?
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #7
Poinzy

1kHz is the USB frequency. There are a lot of potential ways to cope with any noise resulting from it. You'll have to experiment, perhaps even with isolation transformers.

Last edited by Poinzy; 07-07-2020 at 06:43 AM.
Poinzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
GtrGeorge

Default You're right: I dont have 1 TB RAM

[QUOTE=daniellumertz;2315207]I don't know what might be, but a little correction: I pretty sure you don't have 1TB of RAM on a notebook hahahahaha

You're right: I dont have 1 TB RAM. I have never gotten along well with win10 and it shows:

I just found my way and what I have is ACTUALLY:
Dell Inspiron 7559 Laptop with i7 6700 HQ Cpu which runs at 2.6Ghz
Ram is 16 GB
SDD is 1 TB
OS is windows 10 (yuck!)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:19 AM   #9
Allybye

To support the others trying to help you...

You have given some details regarding equipment.....but still have not written what you are doing and how.

As an very simple example: using XX mic in bedroom recording a single singer, monitoring on interface output with headphones in same room using Reaper with no plugins to record one track in a project with default as installed. No tracks playing to the singer for 'cue' purposes or to sing along to. Tone is heard via Y on A output.
...?or some other different/more complex setup?

It is useful so that those responding can best understand your system and how you are using it to consider the possibilities and thus help?
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote