Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Default Announcing free "mrelwood plugins"

I'm new to this, but here goes.

I was unable to find good tools for some mixing and mastering tasks, so I started learning to code in JS. I have since made a few JS plugins that turned out to be important for my workflows. Why not for someone else's as well?

As is the nature of JS, and as I was growing up with free plugins, mrelwood plugins are of course free as well. The code may be partially somewhat ugly, or not optimized further than not to be a resource hog. But the first goal is always to make a useful plugin, second being that it is intuitive and simple to use.

I am interested to see how the community receives these, and will keep adding feature requests if I consider them relevant and worthwile. Please let me know if the plugin doesn't work or is drawn all wonky on your computer. All other feedback is of course more than welcome as well.

I now have thr... (Update: Almost TWENTY!) plugins to share, and I'm doing more all the time. Most plugins include a user manual (either as a .pdf or embedded in the plugin itself). I hope the plugins are to be found useful!

https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins

NEW PLUGIN ANNOUNCEMENTS: (Download from the website above)
Sep-6 2018 - New Routter plugin available!
Oct-8 2018 - New plugin available, Mother of all Compressors!
Oct-19 2018 - New plugin available, SonnyComp!
Dec-9 2018 - New plugin available, StereOpposition!
Jun-18 2019 - Three new plugins available, Blipper, GlitchPress and SineSweeper!!!
Jul-7 2019 - Public beta for upcoming virtual guitar amp AmpEra!!!
Jan-25 2020 - New plugin available, CompLab!
May-21 2020 - New plugin available, FriGate!
Jul-1 2020 - New plugin available, DynaStrip!
Oct-3 2020 - New plugin available, VocaStrip!
Nov-5 2020 - Big update, LinkEQ is now EQall and is a Dynamic EQ!

PS. Also check the public beta for an upcoming bass amp BAMP!

Last edited by mrelwood; 11-05-2020 at 02:33 PM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Thanks!
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
mschnell

Looks great ! ...

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
bladerunner

Awesome.. one thing the Cockos plugins has always been missing is a dynamic eq.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #5
Not_Here

stock has also been missing a more pleasing gui look. Nice!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:47 AM   #6
edkilp

Where do you put these if you have a portable install? There is no Reaper folder in AppData>Roaming. Thanks

**EDIT** Nevermind...the folder just goes in the Effects folder. Win7 64-bit.
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
nfpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Awesome.. one thing the Cockos plugins has always been missing is a dynamic eq.
ReaXcomp, basically the same thing.

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
mrelwood

DynEQ updated to 0.971, fixed the "Others" bottom bar visibility behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpotter View Post
ReaXcomp, basically the same thing.
Dynamic EQ and multiband compressor are fundamentally different enough to easily warrant both in a workflow.

For me the ReaXcomp crossovers change the sound too much even when no processing is being applied. That was one of the main reasons I needed to make DynEQ: When no processing takes place, DynEQ doesn't change the sound at all.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Very interesting. Looking forward to giving these a run next time in in my studio. Nice work.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:28 AM   #10
skippertag

Default True Peak

Good morning mrel,

finally a Limiter who limits the peaks :-)

But in these days of TruePeak discussions all around would you consider to implement that feature (True Peak Limiting) in your Sky Limiter?

Take care
Frank
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:38 AM   #11
bolgwrad

I'm stumped with the installation. I've tried every configuration of install folder I can, they don't show. Do they not work under Reaper 5.95, XP SP3?

Wait a minute - if I "Create new JSFX" with the right name, it then shows up! Hurrah! Hope this helps someone else, Thanks Mr. E.

BTW the GUI in DynEQ is superb, well done.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 09-11-2018 at 02:51 AM.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:53 AM   #12
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippertag View Post
But in these days of TruePeak discussions all around would you consider to implement that feature (True Peak Limiting) in your Sky Limiter?
Unlikely. Given how several world class albums still deliberately peak a good bit past zero (not just from inter-sample peaks), and implementing it would require a huge amount of work, it would need to wake a deep personal interest for me to do that. Instead I suggest lowering the output level until you feel safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
I'm stumped with the installation. I've tried every configuration of install folder I can, they don't show. Do they not work under Reaper 5.95, XP SP3?
Good to hear you got it working, but I'd still like to learn what the issue was in case I should update/correct the manuals.

Just to make sure, you located the REAPER/Effects folder, inserted the unzipped plugins there, and restarted REAPER, but the plugins didn't show?

Quote:
That is very nice to hear, thank you! I think it can be a woozy for some users...
Old 09-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #13
skippertag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Unlikely. Given how several world class albums still deliberately peak a good bit past zero (not just from inter-sample peaks), and implementing it would require a huge amount of work, it would need to wake a deep personal interest for me to do that. Instead I suggest lowering the output level until you feel safe.
Good point ;-)
skippertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
bolgwrad

Good to hear you got it working, but I'd still like to learn what the issue was in case I should update/correct the manuals.

Just to make sure, you located the REAPER/Effects folder, inserted the unzipped plugins there, and restarted REAPER, but the plugins didn't show?

Sorry, I'm not sure: I unzipped them into the {User}/Reaper/Effects folder - in a MrElwood folder, but didn't see them on the first attempt to insert - I may just have missed them in my plugin bloat; they weren't in the 'New' folder, obv. as they aren't VST. I opened the 'create new JSFX' dialog, decided not to, and there they were. I didn't use the 'Search for new plugins' dialog, it was just a new instance of Reaper after the install, so maybe it was just a refresh issue.

Still using them, definite keepers - you've integrated the sound functions and the GUI brilliantly.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #15
sickamorz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post

Wait a minute - if I "Create new JSFX" with the right name, it then shows up! Hurrah! Hope this helps someone else, Thanks Mr. E.

when you say create JSFX with the right name! ok, what is the right name? I followed the install instructions as stated in an instruction file that came with the plugin.
sickamorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #16
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamorz View Post
I followed the install instructions as stated in an instruction file that came with the plugin.
You did create the mrelwood folder into the place given in instructions? After that you should move the unpacked "DynEQ_0v97" folder into that mrelwood folder you have created.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:21 AM   #17
Lau

Thanks a lot mrelwood
Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #18
Regisfofo

Thanks a lot, it works like a charm now! That was fast!

Is midi implementation in your plan too ? That would be great
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #19
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regisfofo View Post
Thanks a lot, it works like a charm now! That was fast!
Thanks!

Quote:
Is midi implementation in your plan too ? That would be great
Is there something you long for that is not doable with the included plugins?
Old 10-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
Regisfofo

Quote:
Thanks!

Is there something you long for that is not doable with the included plugins?

Well, It would be nice to control mix fader with some knob or a parameter modulation, it seems to me it is not possible with 1.1, but maybe I missed something.
Regisfofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #21
Tubeguy

One thing I'd like to be able to do is to design my own GUI for some Reaper plugins I use. Add realistic knobs etc. They are great plugins but give me no inspiration staring at them. But I have no clue how to program.....
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:45 PM   #22
citizenkeith

I know I mentioned this before, but I'd really like for you to keep the plugin names consistent, so that I don't have to keep every version installed. Do your updates break previous versions?

Love the plugins!
citizenkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:09 AM   #23
Tubeguy

I've just tried the Mothercomp. Only quick 10 minute test but it is impressive and like nothing else I've come across. I like the simple slider setting, much, punch etc for quick comping. That's a very cool idea. And they all sound different too. I need more time to see how it works for my music though.
Only neg I have is that I can't see how much I'm compressing, the numbers are barely visible. But like I said, only have spend 10 minutes on it..
Tubeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:09 AM   #24
bladerunner

I've just downloaded the zip containing MotherComp 1v15 and inside the file is 'mrelwood_MotherComp_1v1'. Also the latest SonnyComp zip contains 'mrelwood_SonnyComp_1v0' rather than 1v03.

Also, Sky is at 2.01 according to the website but the file says 'mrelwood_Sky_2v0' when downloaded. If this is in fact 2.01 it would be highly useful to name it exactly as 2v01 to eliminate confusion with versions.

Also, I take it we have to keep all previous versions used in projects to maintain project compatibility?

Thanks for all these plugins btw It's nice to have a dynamic eq in the JS 'suite' now. Looking forward to trying out the latest version of Sky.

Last edited by bladerunner; 12-22-2018 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #25
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
But I have no clue how to program.....
Neither did I! Open up any simple JS plugin from the Edit button at the top bar and start learning. The simple ones are just a few lines of code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkeith View Post
I know I mentioned this before, but I'd really like for you to keep the plugin names consistent, so that I don't have to keep every version installed.
Believe or not, I have kept your words in mind. I'm currently changing the name only if the sound would differ with the same settings. I might be a bit too careful with this though.

Quote:
I've just downloaded the zip containing MotherComp 1v15 and inside the file is 'mrelwood_MotherComp_1v1'. Also the latest SonnyComp zip contains 'mrelwood_SonnyComp_1v0' rather than 1v03.
This is exactly what Citizenkeith above asked against. If the filename remains the same, Reaper recognizes it as the same plugin, and old versions doesn't need to be installed.

Currently "Sky 2v0" filename is kept for versions 2.0, 2.01, 2.02, etc. If the update will not sound the same, I will up the version and filename to 2v1.

Although, I could rename the .zip file only, to reflect the actual version. But I'm not sure if you'd find that very important.

Last edited by mrelwood; 12-22-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:22 AM   #26
Sumalc

Thank you very much.
I noticed that unlike the previous version, the Sky window does not follow the enlargement of the FX window, and stay small.
Sumalc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #27
bladerunner

Quote:

Currently "Sky 2v0" filename is kept for versions 2.0, 2.01, 2.02, etc. If the update will not sound the same, I will up the version and filename to 2v1.
Cool, that's fine. So long as I know the system you're using I can follow along.

Quote:
Although, I could rename the .zip file only, to reflect the actual version. But I'm not sure if you'd find that very important.
Now I know how you're organising things I don't think that will be necessary.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:16 PM   #28
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeguy View Post
I've just tried the Mothercomp.
Only neg I have is that I can't see how much I'm compressing, the numbers are barely visible.
Great to hear that you like it otherwise! My thinking was that one needs to see the meter scale only once. After that one remembers that one line is -6dB, and will only give a glance to count the lines. That’s when bigger numbers would be making a crowd. Hope it turns out to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumalc View Post
Thank you very much.
I noticed that unlike the previous version, the Sky window does not follow the enlargement of the FX window, and stay small.
Yes, that is one part of the smaller GPU consumption. And I didn’t like everything free floating after all, the plugin window was rarely of a size where everything would look correct. I hope the current size is suitable for all of you.

Quote:
Cool, that's fine. So long as I know the system you're using I can follow along.
I’ll do my best to remember that I have a system in place...

Last edited by mrelwood; 12-23-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #29
cutnpaste
Banned

These are great.
cutnpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #30
vdubreeze

Thanks, mrewood, for these great tools. Hope your health issues are behind you.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #31
mrelwood

I made a quick and rough Getting Started Guide for the LinkEQ 0.51 beta. Hopefully it helps in not missing a feature you might want to use:

https://youtu.be/eB41CIhRbno
Old 06-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #32
Eliseat

Quote:
I made a quick and rough Getting Started Guide for the LinkEQ 0.51 beta. Hopefully it helps in not missing a feature you might want to use:

https://youtu.be/eB41CIhRbno
Great video! Great concept. That's actually an amazing idea. It could be useful to create null out effects with just two instances of LinkEQ. For example could you put a saturation effect in between the two instances to feed the saturation only with a certain frequency while the second instance of LinkEQ evens the whole sound out again. Here is an example:

At the moment it doesn't work properly. If I add a second instance thru copy and paste, it adds EQ points 4, 5 and 6 automatically. If I add a second instance thru adding from effects list and put it into slave mode, only the frequency moves but not the gain.

Anyway. I'm looking forward for this one. Its really amazing what you guys create with reapers JS.

Many thanks

Eli
Old 06-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #33
Eliseat

Okay, tried it again. This time it worked. I will play around a little bit.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #34
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Great video! Great concept. That's actually an amazing idea. It could be useful to create null out effects with just two instances of LinkEQ. For example could you put a saturation effect in between the two instances to feed the saturation only with a certain frequency while the second instance of LinkEQ evens the whole sound out again.
Thanks Eli! That is exactly what I originally created this plugin for, testing different emphasis (and de-emphasis) on the upcoming guitar amp sim (saturation).

Quote:
At the moment it doesn't work properly. If I add a second instance thru copy and paste, it adds EQ points 4, 5 and 6 automatically. If I add a second instance thru adding from effects list and put it into slave mode, only the frequency moves but not the gain.
Thanks, I noticed those too, and have been working to make the Link features work smoothly. Both issues you mentioned have already been fixed for version 0.52. I will share it once I get a few more issues ironed out.

I must say though that the big thing for me in this plugin is that you can snap and drag the points to the exact note frequencies! It is common to have a single note stand out too much, and I can't imagine a faster tool to attack the issue. The flat top EQ shape might also turn out to be a nice idea.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:40 PM   #35
/AND/

Wow, great job, I'll try them out and donate as well! BTW yes, it is best to offer these through the ReaPack manager, keeping everything neat and tidy.
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:57 AM   #36
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osse View Post
I dont know if my plugins are downloaded or not, they dont seem to download. Should I expect them to download to another location than the normal downloads folder when I download thru chrome? +1 on reapack, would be easier on both ends I think. Thanks!
They are just normal Dropbox downloads. Maybe your Chrome or a security software blocks certain download locations?

Yeah, I need to get my plugins ready for ReaPack…

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcosmic1 View Post
I am finding on my system, that the curves are very lo-res/blocky (see attached Jpeg.
I am on Win764bit with a screen resolution of 1600x900.
I think that looks normal for 1600x900 display. The graph is high contrast, and pixel by pixel so it isn’t anti-aliased.

Quote:
PS it would be good to know a little about the technical side of the EQ too - such as linear phase/minimum phase etcetera. Or mixed phase! (ala Kirchoff)
The EQ filters are all taken from “The EQ Cookbook”, and they are just “normal phase” filters. I haven’t looked into the phase preserving filters, since the idea of the EQAll is to have a relatively low CPU utilization. As low as it reasonably can on a JS plugin, that is. The JS plugin code is being generated in real-time, which does cause some CPU penalty.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:06 AM   #37
Wallaby

Default Wow

That's amazing, this EQ has automatig gain reduction !
Awesome !
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:19 AM   #38
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
That's amazing, this EQ has automatig gain reduction !
Awesome !
Absolutely! All my plugins do.

It’s strength is adjustable, hold the main volume reading at the top bar to get to the menu. You can even adjust the strength while you’re holding the mouse button, no need to let go.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:50 AM   #39
/AND/

Is there a way to download all plugins as a single archive? Including and excluding those in beta...
/AND/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:24 PM   #40
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahya View Post
I have set the plugin to Stereo M/S, but I can't see how I can compress the MID and SIDES separately, or just compress the MID only ?
There is a pre level for the side channel in M/S mode, if that’s enough for your needs. If not, you need to encode the stereo signal to M/S in a separate plugin (Stereopposition can do that) and then only process the right channel. And then of course decode back to stereo with another plugin.

Quote:
Also, it seems that the sidechain source is limited to channels 3 and 4 - what if I wanted to sidechain another source on another pair of channels (eg 5/6, or 7/8)?
In that case you need my Routter plugin! That allows you to route the track’s channels pretty freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by /AND/ View Post
Is there a way to download all plugins as a single archive?
There is not. I will get them into Reapack at some point, so that will make it all easier.

Quote:
Including and excluding those in beta...
They are all beta… Well, almost all of them.