Old 11-26-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
MartinJG
Human being with feelings

Default Fitting MIDI into a bar

Is there a quick and easy way of aligning MIDI to a bar? For example, if I am playing something in and it does not quite fit into a bar, rather than having to realign the notes manually, which is a real fiddle, is there a way of either stretching or shrinking the notes into a bar without messing up the item tempo and then quantizing? It tends to be more of a problem in 1/16 & 1/32. Hope that makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited by MartinJG; 11-26-2021 at 05:52 PM.
MartinJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:06 AM   #2
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJG View Post
... if I am playing something in and it does not quite fit into a bar, ...
Yeah, really - I would recommend: First find the correct tempo,
set this tempo and then play to a click. If you do this, the
notes will always fit into the bar.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:09 AM   #3
MartinJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Yeah, really - I would recommend: First find the correct tempo,
set this tempo and then play to a click. If you do this, the
notes will always fit into the bar.
Yes, and this is usually the case but there are occasions where this is not always easy to do, especially where there is lag in sampled instruments etc. I often use a piano for better timing but in fast work where there are accompanying instruments, such as an orchestra. Even this can be tricky, hence my question . Ideally, I would like to be able to play in several takes, chose the best and then line up the take to the bar using the stretch facility without messing up the temp/pitch. I have watched Kenny G's vids on YT but I just wondered if there was not a quicker way of working on the fly. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:27 AM   #4
DrFrankencopter

You might be interested in the script I recently wrote, and described in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260063

I haven't had a chance to really put it to use yet, but I suspect it would work for you.

Basically, the script manipulates the Midi item (note and cc) timings as if you changed the tempo, but it doesn't change the tempo. There's 2 sliders, one for the tempo bias (slow, or speed up the whole range between selected notes), and another for a gradual slow/speed up.

I wrote the script for working on E-drum tracks that weren't played to a click...so I could more easily get takes closer to the bar-lines for quantizing after the fact. Sometimes you don't want to play to a click, and sometimes you don't want to tempo map either.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
MartinJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
You might be interested in the script I recently wrote, and described in this thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260063

I haven't had a chance to really put it to use yet, but I suspect it would work for you.

Basically, the script manipulates the Midi item (note and cc) timings as if you changed the tempo, but it doesn't change the tempo. There's 2 sliders, one for the tempo bias (slow, or speed up the whole range between selected notes), and another for a gradual slow/speed up.

I wrote the script for working on E-drum tracks that weren't played to a click...so I could more easily get takes closer to the bar-lines for quantizing after the fact. Sometimes you don't want to play to a click, and sometimes you don't want to tempo map either.
Dr F. Thank you for that suggestion and offer. I will have look. Kind regards. Martin
Old 11-30-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
SonicAxiom

using this method, you can fit Reaper's grid to any free-wheeled MIDI after the fact:

Old 12-01-2021, 05:56 PM   #7
MartinJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
using this method, you can fit Reaper's grid to any free-wheeled MIDI after the fact:

Sonic A. This is certainly an interesting way of working. Thanks for the video.