Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
nyaben
Human being with feelings

Default Stay with Windows 7 Pro or upgrade to Windows 10?

Should I be concerned about upgrading to Windows 10? I'm obviously losing support for Windows 7 and would go ahead and do the in place upgrade if it's not too painful.

I use a Behringer Uphoria UMC1820 interface and the driver indicates its support of Windows 10.

Any suggestions, advice, considerations for those who've made the jump?

Thanks much in advance!
nyaben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
toleolu

How old is your computer?

The Windows 7 to Windows 10 "Upgrade" actually works pretty well, the main problem tends to be older hardware that may not play too well with 10. As I recall though, the upgrade does run a compatibility check that alerts you of any potential problems there.

Might be a good idea to either create a clone or a system image of your C: drive before you run the upgrade, just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Forgot to mention one other thing. One area where people run into trouble with the upgrade is if they are not running a legit activated version of 7 or they have gone in and done a lot of hacking in the registry and or system settings.

Last edited by toleolu; 02-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
Ether

If you have the daw on a win7 that is offline and extremely stable.
You will upgrade to a win10 that interfere with your windows usage and deliver bugs now and then.
If that don't mess with your creativity, go ahead.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
If you have the daw on a win7 that is offline and extremely stable.
You will upgrade to a win10 that interfere with your windows usage and deliver bugs now and then.
If that don't mess with your creativity, go ahead.
My thoughts on this too. I am still happily using Windows 7 on my PC that runs REAPER but also connects to the Internet and would not upgrade to Windows 10.
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
billybuck

Having just completed a work project that involved me upgrading 83 workstations from Win 7 to 10 -- many of them containing specialty software and hardware, including modern engineering CAD programs as well as ancient apps employing old C+ libraries from the early 2000's -- I'd say that the 7 to 10 upgrade is not as scary as it seems. There were only four instances in which I had to reinstall any software post-upgrade, and all of those involved Microsoft products (!) specifically, older versions of Office.

Additionally, some of those workstations were almost a decade old and, on paper, not suitable for Win 10, such as dual-core processors with only 4 Gb of RAM. The users of these machines surprised me with reports of subjectively *faster* performance with Win 10.

That said, this was in a business environment in which we didn't have a choice, due to the security vulnerabilities of Win 7 no longer receiving updates beyond last month. There were 0 new features in 10 my company needed or wanted; it was purely a forced upgrade to stay current. Most upgrades took about 2 hours to perform, plus an additional 30 minutes afterward to delete all the unnecessary bloatware.

To sum up, I'd say if the computer isn't connected to the net, there's no reason to fix what ain't broke--stick with 7. If it is connected, I'd go ahead and do the upgrade. Note also that as long as your existing Win7 is a legitimate copy, you don't have to pay for the upgrade and can download the upgrade tool from MS' site for free.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Lucian

I am in the same position. I am still running a delta-66 on Win7. I use ecollegepc.com and just got an I7 with a mobo that has a pci slot so I am good for now. I am currently saving up for better pre-amps maybe in a 500 series cabinet. Anyway, check out that website, the web manager helped me pickout an extra quiet fan and damped case.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
nyaben

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
Ether

Maybe we win7 users get lucky?
MS has revealed their intent, for win10, to change the code that windows is based upon.
Free Software Foundation have sent MS the petition signatures to ask them to make win7 open source. There's about 13.000 names on the petition.

It's pretty clear to me that when you change the codebase for something that intricate as a OS it's going to be a little bit messy.
I don't like to be a lab rat.

Then there's the thing about the future...
I would state that win10 is not a step forward. It is a step sideways.

Think different. Don't always compact future pc's. Make separate boxes for the net connected and the creative working pc. The boxes should have only one completely new sort of connection that keep shit out, and don't intrude, on the creative working pc.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
Note also that as long as your existing Win7 is a legitimate copy, you don't have to pay for the upgrade and can download the upgrade tool from MS' site for free.
billybuck, I do have legitimate copy of Win 7 Professional. Where do you find the free upgrade? I've looked and could not locate.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #10
Ether

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...s-7-10-free-os
Old 02-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
How old is your computer?
It's a Dell Inspiron 620 with i5-2310 processor @ 2.9GHz with 8 GB RAM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Philbo King

Sticking with Win7 till I find a Linux distro that'll work on my PC (3 monitors, 2 video cards).
So far no luck.

Or maybe I'll just replace it; it's almost 12 years old.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:02 PM   #13
billybuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
billybuck, I do have legitimate copy of Win 7 Professional. Where do you find the free upgrade? I've looked and could not locate.
https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

Visit that link from the computer you want to upgrade.

Follow the instructions for downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation tool. Launch it, and at some point you'll get an option to either create a USB drive or "upgrade this PC." Choose "upgrade."
Old 02-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #14
wildschwein

I'm sticking with 7 on my main recording machine. I still occasionally use Pro Tools 8 mainly for mastering and it may or may nor not run on Win 10. I learned my lesson from having lost the ability to run PT 8 on my Mac way back in about 2014 after an OSX upgrade.

Last edited by wildschwein; 02-21-2020 at 06:46 PM.
wildschwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
nyaben

Well, I took the plunge and no ill effects with the exception of one very pesky change. Now my interface (Behringer UMC 1820) is noisy when I want to monitor more than just 2 of the inputs at a time.

It doesn't make sense to me since I have previously understood this type of noise to be hardware-generated. In this case it made no such noise under Windows 7, same computer.

I've got a support ticket in to Behringer and I'll give them a day or two. If it's not resolved I may revert back to Windows 7.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #16
billybuck

Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver (even if it's the same driver)?
Old 02-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #17
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
I am in the same position. I am still running a delta-66 on Win7. ////
Is not there Windows 10 drivers for (M-Audio) Delta 44/66/1010? I have a Delta-44 in a aux PC with Win7.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #18
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEART View Post
Is not there Windows 10 drivers for (M-Audio) Delta 44/66/1010? I have a Delta-44 in a aux PC with Win7.
Nope, the dont have win10 drivers
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #19
nyaben

Quote:
Did you try uninstalling/reinstalling the driver (even if it's the same driver)?
I tried loading a previous one and then the latest again. Never uninstalled and then reinstalled. Maybe it’d make the difference. I’ll try.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:57 PM   #20
nyaben

No good on uninstalling, reinstalling. I’ll see what Behringer suggests. Frustrating.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #21
CEART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Nope, the dont have win10 drivers
Thanks, bad news. Have you tried Delta Win7 drivers? if yes, were your delta-66 functionalities affected?
Right now I installed the Delta 6.08 driver from Avid in Win10 64 Enterprise (build 1809 LTSC) without problems. Now I only have to physically install the Delta-44 and try, but the driver installation give not troubles. I have an old Oxigen 8 installed in Win10 64, working great.
CEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #22
billybuck

Also check that power management on all of your USB ports is turned off and that your default system power plan is "high performance" Win 10 may have reset to defaults in the upgrade.

Until you get response from Behringer, you might try ASIO4All instead of the native drivers? It's usually inferior, but a lot of people have reported it works better with some interfaces.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:02 AM   #23
nyaben

Quote:
Also check that power management on all of your USB ports is turned off and that your default system power plan is "high performance" Win 10 may have reset to defaults in the upgrade.
No difference on trying. Power was already set to high performance and I tried the USB port changes. Thanks for suggestions. ASIO4ALL made no difference also.

Last edited by nyaben; 02-23-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #24
Coachz

It's the industry's way of forcing people to buy new hardware. It's just sad that they can't make an operating system that can use Legacy drivers for much longer.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:21 AM   #25
Nana

Windows 10 definitely runs all correctly implemented Windows 7 drivers.
Sometimes it makes sense to load a barebones chipset manufacturer driver, instead of a bloated custom driver that is packed with API-violations and quirks.

ASIO is no longer needed on 10, because WASAPI outperforms ASIO definitely.
If you have to use ASIO, FlexASIO (https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO) gives the same performace as WASAPI, because it can be made to bridge ASIO to WASAPI or any other API, but needs some customizing.
ASIO4ALL may be easier to set up, but it depends on an older, less perfmormant WDM kernel driver model.
Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:24 AM   #26
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
Windows 10 definitely runs all correctly implemented Windows 7 drivers.
Sometimes it makes sense to load a barebones chipset manufacturer driver, instead of a bloated custom driver that is packed with API-violations and quirks.

ASIO is no longer needed on 10, because WASAPI outperforms ASIO definitely.
If you have to use ASIO, FlexASIO (https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO) gives the same performace as WASAPI, because it can be made to bridge ASIO to WASAPI or any other API, but needs some customizing.
ASIO4ALL may be easier to set up, but it depends on an older, less perfmormant WDM kernel driver model.
Great info.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #27
Nana

On a CMD as administrator, perform:
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
Then start:
powercfg.cpl
and select the ultimate power scheme. This should solve any problems with powersaving.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #28
bob

Stick with windows 7. What's the advantages of 10?
Im on 7 with no intentions of changing.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #29
Nana

@nyaben:
Which graphics driver is installed?
does it still run the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"?
The best version for your computer is 9.17.10.4459. Get it here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...259f4705a7.cab

Edit: A bad graphics driver can kill USB audio, because it jams the bus in a shared memory system like Sandy Bridge. So try this driver. It is for Intel HD3000/2000 Sandy Bridge graphics and fully compatible with Windows 10.

Last edited by Nana; 02-23-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #30
Nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Stick with windows 7. What's the advantages of 10?
Im on 7 with no intentions of changing.
@bob: sorry, but this is utter nonsense, if the computer has connection to the internet. Once the system is integrated into a botnet, you will install a new OS or buy a new computer, anyway...

Windows 10 is very bloated with useless software. Ok. But once cleaned, it runs even faster than 7. there are many howtos on the net on debloating 10.

Here is something for the lazy:
https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Even more important, but apply only recommended tweaks:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
This will reduce CPU load significantly.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #31
Ether

I could see this behaviour in the Cakewalk forum too.

Lots of people that is not owners of the Microsoft company, not employes thereof, don't get paid to sell it or get any benefit of other peoples change from win7 to win10.

But for some reason they behave insulted if we don't obey as nice little marionettes.

I read about all this win10 people that love to have audio problem and update bugs etc and have a hard time to not smile at it.

Yea...win10 is tha shit...literally.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #32
nyaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana View Post
@nyaben:
Which graphics driver is installed?
does it still run the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"?
The best version for your computer is 9.17.10.4459. Get it here:
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/...259f4705a7.cab

Edit: A bad graphics driver can kill USB audio, because it jams the bus in a shared memory system like Sandy Bridge. So try this driver. It is for Intel HD3000/2000 Sandy Bridge graphics and fully compatible with Windows 10.
Thanks, I’ll check this soon.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #33
grinder

My intention is to stick with Windows 7
Not because I think that Windows ten is inferior.
I wish to be in a more settled environment and produce music not hunt for the next best thing.
That said I just installed and have four SSD's
Thanks to the crowd here, Vin and Spectrasonics.
in my i5 the team goes like stink.
I have to say my music sounds more cohesive, smoother, richer, Omnisphere really comes to life sound wise and all that stuff.
Just because the computer is more efficient.
I can not believe it.
I wish to enjoy all this without those pesky always updating, shift my computer to the internet moments.
As said I want to write and record write and record.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:05 AM   #34
toleolu

Did you get your Windows 10 driver from here:

https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)

This is Behringer's official site.

What you may want to do is go in and uninstall the existing drivers first, then shut the computer down, let it sit for about a minute or so, boot it up and try installing the driver from Behringer's site that says it's ASIO "Compatible" with Windows 7 and 10.

If this doesn't work, were you able to make a system image or clone of your C: drive so you can revert back to your Windows 7 install?
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #35
billybuck

Grinder, I'd agree with others that if your computer isn't connected to the internet you're perfectly fine on 7, and as you aptly point out, less messing around with drivers and your operating system means more time for music production.

I would also say that the vast majority of us who upgraded to Win 10 (including my entire company) didn't do it to be on the cutting edge of technology, or to gain better performance, or useful new features. I would guess most did it solely because Microsoft announced the end of support for Win 7 in January 2020, meaning that any security vulnerabilities discovered by hackers in Win 7 will no longer be patched by Microsoft in the future. Additionally, there will come a time very soon when new hardware and software products will only be compatible with Win 10.

Personally, I was very happy with 7 and would have gladly stuck with it at home and in my company with 80+ workstations. However, on an internet connected computer, security vulnerabilities are a genuine concern, particularly in a business environment.

For the average user, 10 offers nothing new. Most of the added "features" such as OneDrive and Cortana are either unnecessary bloatware, or attempts to get your data and info into the cloud so that Microsoft can parse it for marketing opportunities and targeted advertising, as Google does with Gmail. There are a few minor advantages to 10 here and there, but certainly no major changes to the Windows workflow that's been relatively static since (wow!) Windows 95.

If you have a working Win 7 system that's not internet-connected, and you don't often change hardware or software, by all means stick with 7. You'll probably get lots of real production done while the rest of us are futzing around with driver updates and power settings. However, if you like trying new hardware now and then, experimenting with new VST's and virtual instruments, or like having your production computer net-connected so that you can, say, follow along with a Kenny Gioia tutorial while you have Reaper open, then a Win 10 upgrade is a mildly annoying but necessary (and free) pursuit.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
Nana

Yes, i confirm it is a bit of a hassle to migrate a DAW to Windows 10, especially older Hardware. But that is a one-time feature only!

Once this is past, the system keeps going for another couple of years.
Up to now it can be done free of charge. Who knows how long this will work?

Guess 2004 will break the possibility to use Windows 7 COA/key for a first-time athentication. And then? If a system has been registered as running 10, there is always the option to reinstall, or to restore a backup of good old 7, but who wants to pay big$ for an old machine to just get that VST going? And don't tell me about those shady 10$ "licenses" sold on the beach that stop working without notice, because the chinese or russion volume licensing administrator pops off or gets arrested.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #37
nyaben

Well, nothing has worked so here I go back to Windows 7...
Old 02-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #38
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Well, nothing has worked so here I go back to Windows 7...
Time to buy new hardware!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #39
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Sticking with Win7 till I find a Linux distro that'll work on my PC (3 monitors, 2 video cards).
So far no luck.

Or maybe I'll just replace it; it's almost 12 years old.
I tried many and mainboard GPU + Geforce 1030Ti had been hit and miss with many distros. Best distro for my situation so far is Xubuntu. Or Ubuntu also but I prefer XFCE desktop.
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #40
RJHollins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Time to buy new hardware!
Wish I could find the configuration that I want.

Need only 2 INPUTS ... and 6 to 8 OUTPUTS.
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote