Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-18-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
Bansaw
Human being with feelings

Default I can Render with a "Tail" of silence, but can I Render silence at the BEGINNING ?

I want to Render every project region out, but I want to render 900ms of silence at the beginning of that render.

I know there is a Tail silence option but can't figure out how to do a prefix of silence for a render.

(Or is there a Batch convert option , or Action that might help me ?)
Bansaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
I want to Render every project region out, but I want to render 900ms of silence at the beginning of that render.

I know there is a Tail silence option but can't figure out how to do a prefix of silence for a render.

(Or is there a Batch convert option , or Action that might help me ?)
Hmmm..

I'm not that skilled yet to know how to add exactly 900ms of silence at the beginning of a track, but you can place your cursor somewhere toward the beginning, then double tap and drag left all the way back to the beginning, then right click inside that highlighted area you just created and select "insert empty space in selection". That'll give you some room up front.
You can then also do the double tap and drag anywhere over your entire project, then right click and select "crop project to selection", which I think will give you your desired quiet space you are wanting both front and back.

Just not sure how exactly you could set it to 900ms without experimenting with some math..

Hope that helps
Old 05-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #3
Frank Lee Scarlett

Unless I'm not understanding your question....Why don't you just move the file over to the right by 900ms.?
Frank Lee Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:32 AM   #4
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
Unless I'm not understanding your question....Why don't you just move the file over to the right by 900ms.?
Ho Frank, could you add a bit more detail?

How is that done exactly? Seems like I should know this..

Edit: I meant Hi Frank, not Ho

Last edited by Hoof Hearted; 05-18-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Hoof Hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #5
bolgwrad

In the Region Manager, subtract 0.9 from the start time of your desired region. [edit] For silence, you could create any old region and edit it to be 0.0.90, then Alt+drag to move it to the leading edge of your render region. Double-click it to select all items in that region, Ctrl+Shift+X to cut out that section.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

Well, I'm assuming, possible erroneously, that we're talking about a single file. Just grab that file and move it over.

Your method works, too, Mongo. But it might not have to be any more complicated than my suggestion, depending on what we're dealing with.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #7
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
In the Region Manager, subtract 0.9 from the start time of your desired region. [edit] For silence, you could create any old region and edit it to be 0.0.90, then Alt+drag to move it to the leading edge of your render region. Double-click it to select all items in that region, Ctrl+Shift+X to cut out that section.
Looks like I have some reading up to do on regions and markers. I know how to place markers and see the regions that appear between them, but not sure how else to "create" regions.

I know there has to be "region manager" but not sure how to access it.

I know I can right click on a marker and edit it- would this be the region manager or a "marker manager"?

Also, wanting to understand the time "position" inputs a little better. I'm not used to seeing numbers have more than one point in between them.

So not sure why the time is told in two different ways. Or why it's something like 3:438...up top, but converted to number with two decimals [206.3.09] in the edit marker box.

Thanks for helping me better understand this

Old 05-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Well, I'm assuming, possible erroneously, that we're talking about a single file. Just grab that file and move it over.

Your method works, too, Mongo. But it might not have to be any more complicated than my suggestion, depending on what we're dealing with.

I know I'm probably appearing really dense at the moment, and that's not out of realm of possibilities, but am still mystified as to how to do what you are saying to do.

When mongo think of a "file" I'm thinking about something I'm seeing inside a windows folder or something drag and dropped onto a hard drive etc. I'm not thinking of files when I've got a Reaper window open. I'm just thinking about items, and tracks mostly, maybe a few markers and visualized regions.

I just don't understand how to grab/drag/slide a file over or how to drag it to exactly 900ms?

(chin scratching eyes looking up emoji)
Old 05-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
Bansaw

Quote:
Thanks...
I have 25 regions . Is it possible in the Region Manager to adjust the start of every region (automatically) so it starts -900ms ?
Old 05-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #10
Hoof Hearted

Quote:

Edit: I meant Hi Frank, not Ho

I didn't mean to call you a Ho, Frank. That was me having ten thumbs
Old 05-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #11
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
I didn't mean to call you a Ho, Frank. That was me having ten thumbs
That's one of the nicest things anyone's ever called me.

To answer your question...Sorry, I might be using the word "File" wrong. I probably mean "Item". Whatever you call the thing that has the wave forms with your music in it. Click on it and move your mouse. It will move the item to the right or to the left.

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 05-18-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:26 PM   #12
Daodan

Delay plugin with no feedback and 100% wet?
Daodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:33 PM   #13
karbomusic

1. Adding time to the beginning of the project in project settings will probably work.

2. You can enable "Ripple edit All tracks" > select any item > CTRL+A to select everything on the timeline, then just drag it all to the right - just disable ripple when you are done:

3. You can also choose the "Custom Time Range" option in the render dialog without moving anything?

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-18-2022 at 01:40 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:58 PM   #14
Frank Lee Scarlett

The first part of Karb's post is what I was trying to articulate....sort of. Why the ripple edit? Just move shit over.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:59 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

BTW the point of the render tail is not to add silence, it's to make sure any effect tails are captured.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:12 PM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:
Why the ripple edit? Just move shit over.
Because otherwise the regions won't move when you select/drag all the items.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
Frank Lee Scarlett

Ah regions!!!!! Of course. I don't use regions, so it didn't even cross my mind. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:53 PM   #18
bolgwrad

[edit] @Hoof

Where it says R1 start is at 3297.3.10, subtracting 0.9 will give you a start position of 3297.3.01. Similarly R3 at 3366.2.74 would become 3366.1.84 (1.84 + 0.90 = 2.74)

There's an action to convert a time selection to a region, I map it to Shift+R.
Don't forget to use Alt if all you want to do is move a region, otherwise Ctrl+Z is your friend.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 05-18-2022 at 03:59 PM.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:58 PM   #19
bolgwrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
Thanks...
I have 25 regions . Is it possible in the Region Manager to adjust the start of every region (automatically) so it starts -900ms ?
Above my pay grade, I'm afraid.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #20
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Above my pay grade, I'm afraid.

I'm afraid this thread was above mine as well, but like someone once told me, "sometimes you just have to pull up your britches and act like you know where you're stepping if you really want to be in the shit!" lol snort lP.

Appreciate the tips and helping to locate the Region Manager. Hard to find in-depth/yet easy to understand info on all this stuff from my view- thanks again, all of you for your helps in this arena!
Old 05-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #21
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
BTW the point of the render tail is not to add silence, it's to make sure any effect tails are captured.
This, unsurprisingly makes perfect fundamental sense.

I'm assuming this "render tail" is at least 6 inches long to account for any abnormal echoes or reverb plugins which might come about
Old 05-19-2022, 01:05 AM   #22
bolgwrad

Default Just a crazy idea

[edit] @bansaw
If nothing else floats your boat, you can select all items, right-click/item settings/reverse active take, and render everything backwards with a 900ms tail, then import everything into a vanilla project and reverse it again, rendering with tail at the end.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #23
Bansaw

Quote:
[edit] @Hoof

Where it says R1 start is at 3297.3.10, subtracting 0.9 will give you a start position of 3297.3.01. Similarly R3 at 3366.2.74 would become 3366.1.84 (1.84 + 0.90 = 2.74)

There's an action to convert a time selection to a region, I map it to Shift+R.
Don't forget to use Alt if all you want to do is move a region, otherwise Ctrl+Z is your friend.
Thanks... I was trying to subtract time from a Region in the Region Manager, but I was trying to select all and minus 0.9 seconds... It wasn't able to do that subtraction in a batch way to all my regions. I would have to do it one by one, which would be time consuming.

I might look into simply inserting 0.9 seconds at the beginning of my project and that would shift over all the clips as @Karbomausic suggests

EDIT: When I move the audio clips on my track +0.9 seconds, this means that the end of the regions is now cutting off audio. So, thats not a solution for me.
If there was a way of selecting all the regions in region manager and saying, "ok, subtract 0.9 seconds of each start-time" that would do it.

Last edited by Bansaw; 05-20-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #24
Bansaw

Right now, I am exporting all the Regions from region manager as .CSV file, and putting them into Excell spreasheet and letting Excell subtract 1 second from start time, then re-importing them back into Reaper.

(Simply shifting the audio clips +1 second along the timeline - as I mentioned in my previous post - means that some regions clip the end of the audio.)