Old 07-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
357mag
Human being with feelings

Default Korg PadKontrol

Someone told me of what's called a pad controller. I watched a 10 minute video about it on YouTube. Looked really impressive. I guess you can use it to program drums instead of doing it within the software interface itself.

I was wondering if this would work in Reaper.

But then again let's say I don't "program" my own beats and stuff. Let's say I mostly just choose from the pre-recorded patterns to add my drums. Would using the Korg in this matter be underkill? Wasteful ? My friend keeps telling me that programming your drums is tough if you're not a drummer, which I'm not.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Last edited by 357mag; 07-22-2008 at 07:59 PM.
357mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
technogremlin

I just bought one last weekend. It is essentially a midi-controller that you hook up to a VSTi in Reaper (I use mostly Battery). You can effectively do the same with a MIDI keyboard (I did that before) but with the square pads you have a much better feel. They also have a better response to 'tapping' then a keyboard.

If you don't play/program your own beats then a Padcontrol will be close to useless I think. But as it is 'just' another controller, you can hook it up to anything, like triggering chords and samples and stuff It also has a X-Y touchpad and I have a few VSTi synths that can use that for modulation (still have to try it out though).
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
martygras

Go to a music store if you can and try out some different control surfaces. Some people swear by them, some swear at them.