Old 05-01-2006, 05:28 AM   #1
petramar
Human being with feelings

Default Suspense

Fellow Reaperians, it's been a week now since 0.948... What sort of bitches brew is our wizard cooking - while we're nervously waiting? What will it be? Revolutionary midi? Total pitch and tempo control?
Built-in equalizer, limiter, compressor?
Waiting can be difficult when you know there's a wizard around
petramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

If we each listed the three things which personally we'd most like to see, I wonder how much common ground there would be? Such a list would probably reflect our varying uses for the program.

Mine would be...

Import and export of cues in wave files to/from markers.
Wavpack support.
Customisable keyboard shortcuts.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
catscandal

Default I'll bite

- ability to use Reaper as a realtime multitrack "looper"
- ability to generate MIDI clock
- ability to edit MIDI with swing/shuffle and groove quantize
catscandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Actually I'll just reset your expectations, but I'm mostly resting.. I'll be starting up again soon, with these things likely coming first:
  • midi editor previewing/piano key previewing etc
  • per-track settings of track list visibility and mixer visibility (so you can hide tracks from either or both)
  • improvements to recording performance (overlapped writes, and some stuff to make it all more solid)

Of course, there will be more bugfixing etc too..

Any experts on midi clock/SPP implementation here? I have some questions, too.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
synth

Quote:
What sort of bitches brew is our wizard cooking?
hahaha...bitches' brew
You probably meant "witches brew"

Anyway,two great features are coming - preview and hiding of either the bottom mixer or the one at the side. Great stuff.I just wish there was a play position cursor in the MIDI editor Piano Roll.

Nice to see Justin taking a break after all that one-release-a-day frenzy.

Last edited by synth; 05-01-2006 at 02:08 PM.
synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
petramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
[*] midi editor previewing/piano key previewing etc
-Justin
Looking forward to that. Now that midi is implemented in REAPER there'll no way back: midi, in my experience, is first of all a great tool for composition from scratch & on the fly (just think of the impact of midi on the work of modern composers). So if midi in REAPER in the end will serve a composer's needs... high flexibility (for instance in selecting and altering groups of notes), workflow, multiple undo/redo for trial & error in the writing process... that would be just great.

About midi clock, I recently found a freeware midi clock utility here:
http://users.pandora.be/sdrsite/sites/serge/midiclock/
Did anyone ever try it? Would it work in REAPER? I'll try it out myself soon.

Unfortunately I'm much too ignorant in midi technics to give any helping hand on midi clock. But no doubt some brilliant midiots already found their way to this forum.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
petramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth
hahaha...bitches' brew
You probably meant "witches brew"
Just quoting the Old Master Miles Davis, - the great title of an amazing tour de force in hardcore jazz...
Old 05-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #8
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

I have rade Justin's post above, but still want to put my top three list of FR & improvements :

1 - I still claim for a better grid/zooming. I need in my projects a more precise grid view, with the ability to "quantize" audio clips to the grid, even at very close zooming... I used to work with 1/32 beats, but the grid doesn't allow such zooming in Reaper (I mean, i can zoom at 1/32, but the audio clip moves freely, i need it to fit/lock to the nearest tempo grid point, even at 1/32 beat)...

2 - audio & midi recordings improvements : the ability to make recording begin only at a certain point, or on a certain region (and maybe some kind of automatic thing to do that : http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773 )

3 - video supporting ??? (not editing, I know Reaper is not Vegas, but the ability to use Reaper as a sountrack-maker would make it even more interesting ! !)

4 - Is it possible to have measure AND time displayed in the same time ?
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petramar
Just quoting the Old Master Miles Davis, - the great title of an amazing tour de force in hardcore jazz...
One of the great jazz albums of all time! Along with "Sketches of Spain" (probably my favorite by Miles).

I caught the joke.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic
1 - I still claim for a better grid/zooming. I need in my projects a more precise grid view, with the ability to "quantize" audio clips to the grid, even at very close zooming... I used to work with 1/32 beats, but the grid doesn't allow such zooming in Reaper (I mean, i can zoom at 1/32, but the audio clip moves freely, i need it to fit/lock to the nearest tempo grid point, even at 1/32 beat)...
This one's already there.

Alt+enter will bring you to the "Project Properties" dialog. (or use the "File/Project Properties" menu, or the button on the top toolbar). The settings are under the "Project Tempo" tab. You can set the grid and snap, induvidually, all the way down to 1/32nd note.

Old 05-02-2006, 06:49 AM   #11
bobbackwards

midi clock/ spp will be a huge blessing ...I... can... not compose without jamstix...must have jamstix...
bobbackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Any experts on midi clock/SPP implementation here? I have some questions, too.
-Justin
Wish I could help....but I don't even know what a midi clock looks like........would be happy to take out the trash, and make coffee and sandwiches tho'..
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
petramar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
but I don't even know what a midi clock looks like...
RokkD, to give you an idea:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-604.jpg (19.4 KB, 302 views)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Leumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokkD
but I don't even know what a midi clock looks like...

petramar is close, a midi clock looks something a bit more like this http://www2.b3ta.com/hexclock/

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy
This one's already there.

Alt+enter will bring you to the "Project Properties" dialog. (or use the "File/Project Properties" menu, or the button on the top toolbar). The settings are under the "Project Tempo" tab. You can set the grid and snap, induvidually, all the way down to 1/32nd note.

Ok ! !
It is much better now : tank you a lot, man !

... but.... as i awlays claim for improvements, i have tried 1/32 with a project, and 1/32 is really not enough... I would REALLY need 1/64 at least, or 1/128, to make very quick snare rolls and glitchy stuff...
So i do insist for that tiny little improvement to be implemented...
thank you, i discover Reaper a bitmore every day, and i like it.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
RokkD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leumas
petramar is close, a midi clock looks something a bit more like this
Grooveeeeee baby....but the CUCKOO is the clock that rocks...hey man, speak American, I can't understand a word you're saying..
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Ok ! !
It is much better now : tank you a lot, man !

... but.... as i awlays claim for improvements, i have tried 1/32 with a project, and 1/32 is really not enough... I would REALLY need 1/64 at least, or 1/128, to make very quick snare rolls and glitchy stuff...
So i do insist for that tiny little improvement to be implemented...
thank you, i discover Reaper a bitmore every day, and i like it.
Enter 1/64 or 1/128 in the box, then.

-Justin
Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
sinkmusic

Ok
I didin't know it was possible !
it works well now thank you Justin !
Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM   #19
sinkmusic

Ok, so my "top three" has changed, and i want re-post it again, as the first request already existed without i even know it ! Maybe it will be the same for the others !

1 - audio & midi recordings improvements : the ability to make recording begin only at a certain point, or on a certain region (and maybe some kind of automatic thing to do that : http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773 )
(and also : looping improvements : sometimes while playing a loop, i have a red bar blinking, and the audio goes away periodically) ;

2 - video supporting ??? (not editing, I know Reaper is not Vegas, but the ability to use Reaper as a sountrack-maker would make it even more interesting ! !)

3 - Is it possible to have measure AND time displayed in the same time ?
Old 05-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #20
pipelineaudio
Mortal

"2 - video supporting ??? (not editing, I know Reaper is not Vegas, but the ability to use Reaper as a sountrack-maker would make it even more interesting ! !)"

Tread carefully here

"3 - Is it possible to have measure AND time displayed in the same time ?"

This has been discussed on IRC and Justin has a great handle on how to do it, now its a question of whther or when
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

For now this is all you get:

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/files/reaper0948-olw.zip

extract over a 0.948 install.

The big thing here is it supports "overlapped writes" which means when recording large numbers of tracks REAPER should perform better. For me I went from being able to record (without problem) 50 mono 48khz 24 bit tracks to 80, on my 7200 RPM SATA drive. I'm hoping it will reduce the chances of ever getting glitches in the recordings, too.

So if anybody here who tracks lots of tracks simultaneously wants to try this, it would be helpful. I'm going to go do my own more extensive testing later today, too.

Thanks,

Justin
Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #22
sinkmusic

Quote:
Tread carefully here
SOrry my english i a bit bad, i do not understand this word... what does it mean ?

1- As my suggestion has been fulfilled, i would have one killer feature request :
I think this should be quite hard to add, as Reaper does not look to work that way, but this is yet one of the only reason i keep Tracktion on my coputer : the ability to have vst plugins not just track-related, but also clip-related (in one track, with "by-track plugins", we could also drop a plugin on a sample of a clip to appy an efx only on that part of the clip : very very very useful to make breaks... and better than slicing a clip, putting it in a new track, and inserting the efx in the whole new track...
Would it be possible ?

2- loop record mode, better midi implementation, better handling of highly sliced-chopped-cut clips while reading (too many often, i have red blinking and audio drop-outs when i read sliced samples...) ;
Old 05-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #23
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
SOrry my english i a bit bad, i do not understand this word... what does it mean ? ;
Many of us have had our favorite app destroyed by focus on video. It would be nice to have some video functionality, but hopefully it can be done without messing reaper up

Quote:
1- As my suggestion has been fulfilled, i would have one killer feature request :
I think this should be quite hard to add, as Reaper does not look to work that way, but this is yet one of the only reason i keep Tracktion on my coputer : the ability to have vst plugins not just track-related, but also clip-related (in one track, with "by-track plugins", we could also drop a plugin on a sample of a clip to appy an efx only on that part of the clip : very very very useful to make breaks... and better than slicing a clip, putting it in a new track, and inserting the efx in the whole new track...
Would it be possible ?
This one has been discussed, may be done, but for now, just right click the item and "apply fx as new take". Itll get you there most of the time
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:14 AM   #24
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Many of us have had our favorite app destroyed by focus on video. It would be nice to have some video functionality, but hopefully it can be done without messing reaper up

This one has been discussed, may be done, but for now, just right click the item and "apply fx as new take". Itll get you there most of the time
Thank you a lot for your tips & infos.
I understand what you say now about video. I really would not expect any video editing, but the basic feature of being able to open a video in order to score it. But the more I think about it, the more it looks like it's going far away to what Reaper is aimed at... I don't know.

Thanx for the tip about right click and "apply fx as new take"
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #25
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
So if anybody here who tracks lots of tracks simultaneously wants to try this, it would be helpful.
I've been tied up with other things for most of the day but will try to do some general disk i/o testing asap tomorrow.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #26
sinkmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio

Ok for the video stuff.
Great tip for the "by clip efx" : thank you.

So, now i know what are my "top 2" requests :

1- audio : auto time stretch of all events if changing tempo ; AND the ability to auto timestretch the audio samples you import in your project...

2- better audio/midi recording (about audio looping on the fly, there is another thread going towards a direction i like = autolooping on the fly, with autocreating new clips autosynced), but for midi, i really need to be able to record in loop mode, by adding new notes at each take/repeat...