Old 12-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
zeekat
Human being with feelings

Default Third victim of the deadline thread

Managed to finish an another tune after subscribing to the deadline thread, does it work or what?

Three weeks from having nothing to having six minutes of this. It's kinda plodding space-rocky thing with a hard middle section (hard-core lol):

https://soundcloud.com/zeekat/the-fourth-shift

Heavy guitar is stereo-ized with simple Haas, not-heavy guitar is lipstick pickup equipped - hums like mad despite trying to position it away from the computer. Bass is just my Cort via POD Farm, keyboards are Novation Ultranova for pads/lead and a freebie e-piano VSTI for e-piano with the rickety E-mu keyboard. Drums programmed by me too, probably should've edited lamer "fills" but will do it later. Anyways, yeah, get yourself a deadline - I'd probably delete the project without that after a couple of days.

Most novel equipment I used for this was a crappy selfie stick on a tripod I used to film the "session" with(I mean, there was a phone on it too). And now I have to deal with a freezing Vegas session with multiple 1080 clips. Will post results once I find a way to make it complete editing and rendering.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
sammydix

For some reason, the opening gave me a Starship Trooper feel. Don't know why since it sounds not one iota like it. I guess the 'feel.' The mix sounds good except for two personal nits:
I could hear a tad more bass and/or low end. Not a lot, just a bit more. Taste.
And the drums sounded mechanical in spots, but maybe that was intentional?
Totally love the outro section.
sammydix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
morgon

Cool track, emotive and atmospheric, nice arrangement, the 'full band in' effect works well here, reminds of Pink Floyd, i.e create interest then after a while bring the full band in.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammydix View Post
For some reason, the opening gave me a Starship Trooper feel. Don't know why since it sounds not one iota like it. I guess the 'feel.' The mix sounds good except for two personal nits:
I could hear a tad more bass and/or low end. Not a lot, just a bit more. Taste.
And the drums sounded mechanical in spots, but maybe that was intentional?
Totally love the outro section.
Weird drums sound mechanical only in spots, I quantize the shit out of my finger-tapped patterns. I decided there's no point in pretending they real (edited the "fills" a bit though). Also yeah for some reason my favourite parts are always near the ending, that's weird. I feel like the completion of my "writing" process should always be intro and outro switching places.

Added a token +1dB to the bass track but it sounded loud enough to me already, just to add weight to everything. But you never know. Thanks for listening!
Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
zeekat

Aaaand youtube. Had an ambitious plan to do it in 4k (source clips are all 1080) until learned having GPU enabled in Vegas freezes session in no time. Boo.

Retrofitted some drums into the intro - everything sounded kinda too rythmic to remain beatless. Now I need to lay down. For a month or so.

Last edited by zeekat; 01-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
sammydix

Just listened to both, but I don't really hear what's different. What did you do?
Old 01-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
zeekat

Replaced the intro on soundcloud too (perk of having a pro account), there was no drums in the beginning originally.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #8
sammydix

Forgot. Thought I was losing my mind.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Replaced the intro on soundcloud too (perk of having a pro account), there was no drums in the beginning originally.
Another perk of the pro account is the sound quality. Track sounds excellent, what are you using on that power chord riffing RG?
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Another perk of the pro account is the sound quality. Track sounds excellent, what are you using on that power chord riffing RG?
You think? Thought pro is only for longer uploads. Man my ears aren't good enough to notice a difference.

RG clone goes through a "Brit JM Pre" model from POD Farm. Supposed to be a Marshall JMP1 - not sure how accurate, but I like it, has less fizz than other metal models I have. There's also a noise gate, "4x12 Celestion T75" cab sim, some POD farm "American" channel strip emulation and a Haas echo to stereoize it, coz it's just a single track. Trying to bullshit my way into sounding produced without overdubs.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
You think?
If memory serves, their non-pro compression is opus 64 kbs which I felt I could tell the difference in a test I posted about a few months back - and before that test I always thought SC sounded worse than others in some way I didn't understand.

So, my point is, I doubt 64 kbs falls into an audiofile argument, meaning, with the right content most could probably tell a difference. That's not so much the case once we get to 128 kbs MP3 so there is a chance the pro account has better objective quality but that doesn't mean it's noticeable in any/all content and not necessarily night and day either.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
Garrick

Cool track zeekat and well done getting it finished!
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote