Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
dangguidan
Human being with feelings

Default Mute's track is too dark,How to set it up?

Mute's track is too dark. I don't need this setting. Can I set it up to make Mute's track brighter? How to set it up? Thank you for your advice.
dangguidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #2
vitalker

No way.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
dangguidan

Hope to improve, add options that can be set.
My main job is stripping, and most of the MIDI tracks written are non-SOLO.
Usually what I see is dark, very unclear panel information, which can be a little uncomfortable.

Last edited by dangguidan; 03-18-2020 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
EvilDragon

It's been requested for quite some time, nothing ever happened so far...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
vdubreeze

About once a month I'm reminded how much a bummer it is.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 AM   #6
Phazma

Seriously why can we modify the color of literally everything inside a theme but not for this?? I really can't understand why after so many requests this has not been addressed yet. Should not be that hard to add one more element to the list of colors that can be tweaked? Would it perhaps help to raise the developer's awareness if we bumped one of the related threads in the feature request forum?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 AM   #7
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
Seriously why can we modify the color of literally everything inside a theme but not for this?? I really can't understand why after so many requests this has not been addressed yet. Should not be that hard to add one more element to the list of colors that can be tweaked? Would it perhaps help to raise the developer's awareness if we bumped one of the related threads in the feature request forum?
I agree. Unfortunately they dont seem interested in dramatically improving the theming engine but instead are more interested in developing a new theme that you may or may not like.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
dangguidan

I think it's a matter of concept. Maybe developers don't think silent tracks or non-Solo tracks are important. In fact, for production, all track information should be as clear as possible.
Including the color of the notes in MIDI, it is too dim to display according to the commonly used velocity. The interval between the notes looks very blurred, and the shorter notes are often not seen.
In fact, for me, beauty is the second, mainly to be clear, so as to be more conducive to work.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 AM   #9
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangguidan View Post
I think it's a matter of concept. Maybe developers don't think silent tracks or non-Solo tracks are important. In fact, for production, all track information should be as clear as possible.
Including the color of the notes in MIDI, it is too dim to display according to the commonly used velocity. The interval between the notes looks very blurred, and the shorter notes are often not seen.
In fact, for me, beauty is the second, mainly to be clear, so as to be more conducive to work.

I thought Reaper's concept was that the user can decide what is important to him and what not and set up Reaper accordingly.
In my case, single black tracks in the arrange do rather attract attention than keep out of focus. I get confused where is what, which tracks I am hearing and what content is one the disabled tracks (in order to know which track to enable when I need it).

Also @Coachz do so many people actually use and like the default theme? I thought everybody tweaks the sh*t out of his Reaper and it is known that there are many nice templates for different tastes available and easily installable. I use the Cubic3 theme, which just looks and feels awesome. Anyway I think it would be better also in this regard to follow the general Reaper philosophy and give more power to the user rather than almost forcing some kind of template onto the user - specially as Reaper is praised for it's audio capabilities and versatility and not so much for the GUI.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:24 AM   #10
vitalker

Quote:
I thought Reaper's concept was that the user can decide what is important to him and what not and set up Reaper accordingly.
You are damn right! It is Reaper way. Right-click and customize everything.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 AM   #11
Coachz

Quote:
In my case, single black tracks in the arrange do rather attract attention than keep out of focus. I get confused where is what, which tracks I am hearing and what content is one the disabled tracks (in order to know which track to enable when I need it).

Also @Coachz do so many people actually use and like the default theme? I thought everybody tweaks the sh*t out of his Reaper and it is known that there are many nice templates for different tastes available and easily installable. I use the Cubic3 theme, which just looks and feels awesome. Anyway I think it would be better also in this regard to follow the general Reaper philosophy and give more power to the user rather than almost forcing some kind of template onto the user - specially as Reaper is praised for it's audio capabilities and versatility and not so much for the GUI.
Many people use the default theme but theming is too hard currently and would benefit users if they could customize easier? So many things are hard to change.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #12
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
You are damn right! It is Reaper way. Right-click and customize everything.
OK. How can I right-click so the muted tracks are no longer too dark?
Old 07-14-2019, 12:33 AM   #13
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
OK. How can I right-click so the muted tracks are no longer too dark?
not quite
Old 12-31-2019, 06:33 PM   #14
Area52

Default Muted tracks too dark!

Still not possible to change in Reaper v.6 with new theme and all!?
At least I can't find a setting to change the color of muted tracks.
Area52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #15
ramses

Nope. Unfortunately not. One glorious day I dream that this will be possible...
ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #16
Joe90

Bumping this in the hope it gets a look in, as it genuinely does my head on a daily basis. I understand the reasoning behind the feature, but in reality it just makes big projects look so messy and cluttered, and much more difficult to navigate.

Please devs, give us the option to disable the greying out of muted tracks!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
KenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangguidan View Post
In fact, for production, all track information should be as clear as possible.
Personally ... seems to me the dev's have demonstrated they don't care about this aspect of Reaper. Otherwise the calls for increased legibility would have been addressed by now. The proof is in the pudding. Sorry ... but that's how I see it.

KenB
Old 03-02-2020, 04:37 AM   #18
alphoc

Maybe they don't know how to do it, like many other things.
alphoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #19
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Personally ... seems to me the dev's have demonstrated they don't care about this aspect of Reaper. Otherwise the calls for increased legibility would have been addressed by now. The proof is in the pudding. Sorry ... but that's how I see it.

KenB
I don't think so. My guess is that it is harder than it seems, for some reason. Perhaps it is part of some ancient code block that just works, and noone is willing to try to detangle just for this aspect of the interface. Or there are other reasons why this is not taken care of. What seems like an easy fix probably isn't really, that's my guess.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #20
KenB

You may be right. But it seems to me that ... despite the capability of the program ... what use is all that horse power ... if you can't see everything clear enough to use it without aggrivation? That the program is legible should be a fundamental requirement. I have to say ... I'm tired of dealing with it. If it weren't for the price I'd move on to something more legible.

KenB
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
Ether

Sorry but...
If i mute and don't want to use something why do i want to see it?

As a newbie in mixing i don't get that.
Ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #22
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
Sorry but...
If i mute and don't want to use something why do i want to see it?

As a newbie in mixing i don't get that.
To me that's the major problem. Depending on the theme you use, muted track arrange backgrounds can REALLY stick out, in a very visually confusing way. Combined with how SELECTED track arrange backgrounds just melt into the background this gets really visually fatiguing to many users.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #23
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
You may be right. But it seems to me that ... despite the capability of the program ... what use is all that horse power ... if you can't see everything clear enough to use it without aggrivation? That the program is legible should be a fundamental requirement. I have to say ... I'm tired of dealing with it. If it weren't for the price I'd move on to something more legible.

KenB
I would never. I love reaper, and I depend on its unique capabilities. I agree though, stuff like this really makes a difference. Let's hope it's dealt with fairly soon.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #24
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramses View Post
To me that's the major problem. Depending on the theme you use, muted track arrange backgrounds can REALLY stick out, in a very visually confusing way. Combined with how SELECTED track arrange backgrounds just melt into the background this gets really visually fatiguing to many users.
This.

When you're zoomed out on a 150 track project, those clumps of muted tracks REALLY jump out at the eye and grab attention, and they should be doing the exact opposite of that. It makes the whole project look cluttered, visually confusing, and aesthetically unpleasing.

A more elegant solution would be to just make all the ITEMS on a muted track appear in a muted state, rather than massive dark lines cutting up our project screen.

However, I'd be happy if they could at least just let us turn it off the darkening of muted tracks.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #25
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
A more elegant solution would be to just make all the ITEMS on a muted track appear in a muted state, rather than massive dark lines cutting up our project screen.
I agree. IMHO this would be the best way to do it, and then just have a pref if users want to enable darkening for the entire track vs just items for those who like the old behavior. Darkening does have its uses. For example, I keep all offline VSTi tracks also muted and since it is dark, it is obvious in the project that it is offline and disabled.

However, for normal every day use as several people have commented, it can be VERY problematic. Because it then becomes hard to determine what is muted vs what is selected - especially if the selection in your theme turns selected items dark instead of light. I have yet to find a theme that does a good job differentiating and it would make it easier for users and themers alike if muting a track simply muted all the items in the track instead of darkening the entire track.

To me the ideal behavior is if you take a track offline, THEN it becomes dark like it does currently when muted, and muting simply mutes all the individual items in the track.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #26
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Darkening does have its uses. For example, I keep all offline VSTi tracks also muted and since it is dark, it is obvious in the project that it is offline and disabled.
Also any buses and tracks used for FX and not foe media items.

I would be in favor of a pref... but not removing the darkening.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #27
ramses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
However, I'd be happy if they could at least just let us turn it off the darkening of muted tracks.
Yes. This would be great.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #28
Phazma

I don't understand how this detail can be so difficult to address. Literally everything can change its color in the theme modifier and they have pulled off so many other difficult to do things. Also the Reaper devs are said to pay attention to keeping the coding sleek and efficient so I just can't believe that this simple color option is entangled in something so large they don't even understand themselves anymore.
There must be some reason why they don't want us to be able to change this behaviour and it is frustrating to see so many big things change, even a whole new theme being created for Reaper 6, and yet this issue is just continuously being ignored.
I guess we have to accept it. Despite it, because of so many other customisable options Reaper is still the most efficient working environment for me, but there are those days where these issues just bug the hell out of me and I start lusting over other, graphically more pleasing DAWs, which again all lack features Reaper has and which are essential for me. The perfect DAW just doesn't exist
Old 10-19-2022, 09:44 AM   #29
SaintIdiot

Made an account just to say this feature would be a crucial workflow helper in dialogue editing when picking mics. Being able to make muted clips darker would make the information on screen more visually definite.
SaintIdiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:58 AM   #30
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

You've necro'd an out of date thread; this was added in April:

Code:
REAPER v6.54 - April 19, 2022
Banjo Telemark

Theme: add theme overlay color, blend mode for muted/unsoloed/inactive or locked media items and tracks
Old 10-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #31
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
You've necro'd an out of date thread; this was added in April:

Code:
REAPER v6.54 - April 19, 2022
Banjo Telemark

Theme: add theme overlay color, blend mode for muted/unsoloed/inactive or locked media items and tracks
Looks like people don't read release notes.