Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #121
johnnyo
Human being with feelings

OK, thanks much..
Also can I save my Sample Tank with it's authorization to an External hard Drive.. The reason I'm asking is that my wife & I spend our winter in Texas USA, & I have a computer there with Windows 7, then I could just install it into my computer there.. I would sure hate to reload Sample Tank again..
Incidentally can I find a Pedal Steel to put into ST??
johnnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #122
johnnyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Ha ha, well you're not the oldest Reaperite but you got me beat by almost 10 years. I've got another good friend on Reaper that's got a couple of years on you I think.

Go for it Jonny, it can give you a reason to get up in the morning.
haha, I thought I was older than dirt.. I love my computer, & probably first thing I do is check email, then Reaper forum.. I will keep on plugging away, & i think I'm beginning to understand it a bit more now.. but you can bet I'll be here asking a bunch of questions as each stumbling block shows up..
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #123
dea-man

This has gotten completely out of hand.

Things should be kept simple.

One simple, free vst.

One simple midi track.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #124
DarkStar

^^^^
To get started, you're right - johnnyo did that with ReaSynth earlier in the thread.

To play his multi-track MIDI file, a different approach was needed. He downloaded ST2 and needed guidance is getting it installed. It was a big learning curve for him but, I believe, was worth the effort he put in.

Now that he has it installed he can explore its features and the wide range of sounds available.

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-15-2013 at 12:52 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #125
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyo View Post
OK, thanks much..
Also can I save my Sample Tank with it's authorization to an External hard Drive.. The reason I'm asking is that my wife & I spend our winter in Texas USA, & I have a computer there with Windows 7, then I could just install it into my computer there.. I would sure hate to reload Sample Tank again..
Incidentally can I find a Pedal Steel to put into ST??
Sorry to say that you will need to install / authorize it again on your other system (and in this case "Run as Administrator" will apply ). But at least you now know the steps. It will be detected to be a different system and require a new Authorization Code (don't worry about the 5 limit, IK Multimedia generally will issue more). You could copy the Sounds Libraries across to the new system.

-----------------------------
I found a Pedal Steel in the Electric Guitar Capsules expansion.

---------------------------
IF you want to follow this up, IK Multimedia is doing a special deal on its Virtual Instrument products: "From now until September 8, 2013, buy one IK Virtual Instrument at up to 50% off AND get one FREE! " and "when 500 like minded musicians join the group buy, you’ll receive ANOTHER virtual instrument of your choice absolutely FREE! If 1,000 join, you’ll get ANOTHER one for FREE"

Details are here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/vigb/
and
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388886

But it gets better:
If you buy the Serial Number from Sonic Reality / eSoundz at https://www.esoundz.com/ then you can Register your product at IK Multimedia and download them from there. AND you get your choice of a free expansion from eSoundz (OmniSynth 2 would give you the General MIDI sounds).

And others are on sale (for a short time) here:
http://www.esoundz.com/landingpages/sampletank.php

Please note: IK Multimedia has done several sales of its products over the last few years. There may be a better sale in the future, there may not. And the products are fairly old, but they do work on Windows 7. ST3 is planned for release this year and will load all ST2 sounds libraries.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #126
johnnyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
This has gotten completely out of hand.

Things should be kept simple.

One simple, free vst.

One simple midi track.
Well accept my sincere apology.. It was meant to be simple. I thought I could load a Midi into Reaper & play it like some other DAWS. I didn't know That you had to install VST's in order to make it work. Of course I knew nothing about the Simple VST as you call it.. But thanks to the help of the forumites it has helped me understand.
Again my apology if I upset you, I was only looking for help..
I'm out of here..
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #127
johnnyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Sorry to say that you will need to install / authorize it again on your other system (and in this case "Run as Administrator" will apply ). But at least you now know the steps. It will be detected to be a different system and require a new Authorization Code (don't worry about the 5 limit, IK Multimedia generally will issue more). You could copy the Sounds Libraries across to the new system.

-----------------------------
I found a Pedal Steel in the Electric Guitar Capsules expansion.

IF you want to follow this up, IK Multimedia is doing a special deal on its Virtual Instrument products: "From now until September 8, 2013, buy one IK Virtual Instrument at up to 50% off AND get one FREE! " and "when 500 like minded musicians join the group buy, you’ll receive ANOTHER virtual instrument of your choice absolutely FREE! If 1,000 join, you’ll get ANOTHER one for FREE"

Details are here:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/vigb/
and
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388886

But it gets better:
If you buy the Serial Number from Sonic Reality / eSoundz at https://www.esoundz.com/ then you can Register your product at IK Multimedia and download them from there. AND you get your choice of a free expansion from eSoundz (OmniSynth 2 would give you the General MIDI sounds).

And others are on sale (for a short time) here:
http://www.esoundz.com/landingpages/sampletank.php

Please note: IK Multimedia has done several sales of its products over the last few years. There may be a better sale in the future, there may not. And the products are fairly old, but they do work on Windows 7. ST3 is planned for release this year and will load all ST2 sounds libraries.
Thanks a lot. I will follow up on your links..
And sorry I couldn't keep it simple.. Just couldn't get IKS to authorize..
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #128
DarkStar

There's absolutely no need to apologise. You had a problem and it got solved.

Yes, there are several other VST Instruments that could be used and many libraries available from all manner of sites.

------------------
For a much simpler sample player, have a look at TW16Wx - simple installer, no authorisation for the free version (simple authorisation for the Pro version). There is no sounds library included, but you can build your own instruments from samples or load some instrument formats.

# Reads multiple sample and bank formats
* WAV/AIFF/AIFC
* SoundFont 2
* SFZ Files
* Ogg Vorbis
* FLAC
* Typhoon compressed AIF files
* Original Yamaha OS Wave files

http://www.tx16wx.com/home

Last edited by DarkStar; 08-15-2013 at 07:34 AM.
DarkStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #129
johnnyo

Thanks for the link. I will download it.. And yes I had a problem, & to me a big one. Of course if one understands Midis & VST's, VSTi, samples etc. it is easy & trivial. I understand overhauling lawn mower motors, & it is Simple, but to others maybe not. This was totally new to me, & didn't know where else to turn to. Obviously I found the right place, & thanks again..
You'll never know how much I appreciate all you & the forum has done for me.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #130
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
There's absolutely no need to apologise. You had a problem and it got solved.
Way to hang in there. Great support DS.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #131
dea-man

Quote:
Well accept my sincere apology.. It was meant to be simple. I thought I could load a Midi into Reaper & play it like some other DAWS. I didn't know That you had to install VST's in order to make it work. Of course I knew nothing about the Simple VST as you call it.. But thanks to the help of the forumites it has helped me understand.
Again my apology if I upset you, I was only looking for help..
I'm out of here..
Johnnyo -

My apologies. You took my post completely different than I intended.

I WANT to help you, as does everybody here.

When I read that last 10 or so responses, it just seemed to me that things were getting more complicated than was needed. My apologies if my post sounded upset.

Reaper is different from other DAW's in many respects. One of those is the absence of "bloat". This is the many GB's of instuments and samples, that othe DAW's pride themselves on.

Reaper is lean and mean, and ready to rock, but it's geared for recording midi and audio. You find, and add, your own VST's, VSTi's and samples.

Anyways, as I said before, if Reaper is not for you, find something that is. Something that fits your workflow and enables you to make music the way YOU want to make music. Something that stays out of the way of you making music.

But, this I can attest to: Reaper is a fine, stable, lean, mean piece of software that can more than do whatever task you have in mind. It's workflow just has to be discovered.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #132
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
Reaper is different from other DAW's in many respects. One of those is the absence of "bloat". This is the many GB's of instuments and samples, that othe DAW's pride themselves on.

Reaper is lean and mean, and ready to rock, but it's geared for recording midi and audio.
I have to disagree with that regular assertion ... and I mean no disrespect by it nor am I intending to start a debate about it.

However...
1. It actually wasn't "ready to rock" for him (?) because there were no instruments for him to use. If there had been, this thread wouldn't exist.

2. The other stock instruments aren't "bloat" if you only have to download and/or install them if you actually want to, if you need them or want them? They are not always mandatory to download or install. They are, often enough, optional.

3. He just literally spent two days downloading and trying to install and authorize Sampletank Free or whatever, when it would have been much easier if Cockos had a decent basic rompler package for optional download themselves... something that integrates better and auto-maps to midi.
I say this a kazillion times but people don't actually seem to hear it. Sorry, but that common "talking point" is just... incorrect on many levels.

Last edited by Lawrence; 08-15-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #133
Amazed

Did anybody notice the OP has a Creative Audigy card installed or did I misread something?
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #134
johnnyo

dea-man, Yup I mis-read & took it the wrong way.. sorry.. Everybody here has been so helpful, & I really do feel like a shmuk.. I belong to several forums, & everybody raves about Reaper.. & I can see why, except it was & does a lot more than I had even thought about.. Most Daws that I fooled with, I would load in a Midi, & it would play it without adding VST, or anything else.. But some of these other DAWS lacked a few things.. A lot of BIAB users, create their Audio & Midi tracks in BIAB & master in Reaper.. So I thought I had better try Reaper, & the people that I emailed said Reaper has the best Support Forum of anyone, & I found that to be true..
Anyway I knew nothing of VST's, but I did purchase a program some time ago & Sample Tank was included but had to get authorized. I had trouble with it then & did now.
Yes for people like me, & I'm sure there will be more, it would be great if Reaper had a VST imbedded to play Midis, then I could learn & expand as I was using it.. I checked all videos on You Tube, & didn't see anything about installing a VST before I could play Midi..
Anyway I am getting the grasp, & starting to understand this Midi thing a bit, & I'll keep lurking & learning.. All my experience till now has been with standalone recorders, korg D3200, Roland VS1680, but they are limited, so my interests are turning more to computer recording..
Thanks again to all, & my apology to dea-man for misunderstanding your post..
Johnny

Last edited by johnnyo; 08-15-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #135
johnnyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Did anybody notice the OP has a Creative Audigy card installed or did I misread something?
Yes , is this good or bad?? should I have a different card?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #136
Amazed

Quote:
Yes , is this good or bad?? should I have a different card?
Uh No. It's just that the Audigy card has a GM soundset in it. It plays midi files in it's sleep. You should have been playing midi files in the first minute I would have thought.

Not to detract from what you have achieved which is all good not only for midi but for all sorts of other great things, but just for my education if that's alright. If you click on track IO what entries do you have in the Midi Hardware Output Drop Down? Also check Preferences-> Audio -> Midi Devices and see if the Creative Midi Device is not there and enabled? It's not the actual midi port on the card you need. The card has a wavetable device or similar which appears as a port but I forget the name. If I have it right you could have just set the Midi Hardware Output for each channel to the Creative Wavetable Device.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MidiHW.jpg (51.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #137
johnnyo

My I/O shows the following:
SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth A (DE00)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth B (DE00)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Midi IO (DE00)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Midi IO 2(DE00)
Mirosoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

Don't know why But I couldn't play the Midis in Reaper, But I could elsewhere.. I was told I needed a VST.. It's working now..
And yes They are all in Preferences & enabled.. Of course as I said Midi is totally new to this old guy, I've only dealt with wave files before, but I have come across so many Midi files of all genre, & I feel like a kid with a new toy.. So much to learn & so little time.. I've seen this saying somewhere,"Too Soon Old, & Too Late Smart"..lol.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #138
Amazed

Quote:
My I/O shows the following:
SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth A (DE00)
SB Audigy 2 ZS Synth B (DE00)
Don't know why But I couldn't play the Midis in Reaper, But I could elsewhere.. I was told I needed a VST.. It's working now..
And yes They are all in Preferences & enabled.. Of course as I said Midi is totally new to this old guy, I've only dealt with wave files before, but I have come across so many Midi files of all genre, & I feel like a kid with a new toy.. So much to learn & so little time.. I've seen this saying somewhere,"Too Soon Old, & Too Late Smart"..lol.
I see you got it working with the groups help and that's great. Pointing your midi tracks at Synth A or B on the midi hardware is just another way. Synth A and B on the Audigy card are midi synths. The standard midi instruments are already loaded into them. If you've been playing midi files in other packages without setting up any vsti's, this will be how it's been happening most likely. Now though you've learned about vsti's and samples and things which is all good fun.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #139
johnnyo

Got one more question.. Right now I go to each Track I/O to load output, so in one song I have to do it 13 times for 13 tracks.. Is there anywhere I can allocate all tracks to a certain Output, without doing one track at a time>??
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #140
Tod

Quote:
Got one more question.. Right now I go to each Track I/O to load output, so in one song I have to do it 13 times for 13 tracks.. Is there anywhere I can allocate all tracks to a certain Output, without doing one track at a time>??
Hi johnny, I'm a little confused about what you're talking about, are you talking about midi tracks, and if so, where do you want them to go?

There are actions for copy/pasting routing. However, I don't think they will copy/paste MIDI Hardware Outputs.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #141
Amazed

Quote:
You can. I just did this ... I dragged in a midi file. Accepted to expand to tracks. Created a new track and put a vsti on the track efx.
Then i shift dragged from IO on the imported tracks to the IO on the track with the vsti. That created a send on every expanded track to the track with the vsti and it played back fine. In your case instead of the VSTI you could just send the hardware midi output to Midi Synth A for the extra track and that should be it. I don't know a shorter way in Reaper. Sorry.

Actually I played a bit and got better at it.
I set up track 1 with the midi hardware output and 16 more tracks with the sends all pointed at the track 1. I then saved that as a project template. Then I selected track 2 and then inserted media file(midi file). It expanded like usual but went into the tracks 2 - 17 that I had already created and they were all hooked up with the sends.. no problem. I played that. I then just <undo> and insert another midi file and it worked great as well.

Last edited by Amazed; 08-16-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #142
johnnyo

Quote:
Hi johnny, I'm a little confused about what you're talking about, are you talking about midi tracks, and if so, where do you want them to go?

There are actions for copy/pasting routing. However, I don't think they will copy/paste MIDI Hardware Outputs.
Sorry, Yes, Midi tracks. I just want to allocate all tracks to e.g. Synth A, at one time instead of going to each track I/O and allocating them one at a time.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #143
Tod

Quote:
Sorry, Yes, Midi tracks. I just want to allocate all tracks to e.g. Synth A, at one time instead of going to each track I/O and allocating them one at a time.
Is Synth A a MIDI Hardware output or is it a multi-instrument VSTi like Sample Tank?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #144
Amazed

Quote:
Is Synth A a MIDI Hardware output or is it a multi-instrument VSTi like Sample Tank?
Tod, The OP has a Creative Audigy installed. There are 2 GM Midi Devices on it in hardware. They have been aliased as Synth A and B.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #145
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
Tod, The OP has a Creative Audigy installed. There are 2 GM Midi Devices on it in hardware. They have been aliased as Synth A and B.
Aah okay, thanks Amazed. I think your suggestion for creating one track directed to the MIDI Hardware out and then duplicating it several times would be the way to do this.

Like you say, I guess you could duplicate several tracks and then save it as a Project template. You can always delete the ones you don't need.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #146
johnnyo

Thanks for the answer.. It works..
Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #147
dea-man

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.. It works..