Old 01-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default item fx approach?

i do most of my work by putting fx directly on items. this has been working pretty well in my kxstudio setup so far but i just ran into an instance where i wanted to look for some alternative fx to the ones either directly supplied with reaper or through reapack. i know that things like carla and linvst exist but haven't pursued setting them up yet. do they work at the item level? is there any guidance anywhere in doing this? how would these kinds of things work with a great many instances of the plugins. that's kind of inevitable when working at the item rather than track level.

thanks,
BabaG
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #2
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i do most of my work by putting fx directly on items. this has been working pretty well in my kxstudio setup so far but i just ran into an instance where i wanted to look for some alternative fx to the ones either directly supplied with reaper or through reapack. i know that things like carla and linvst exist but haven't pursued setting them up yet. do they work at the item level? is there any guidance anywhere in doing this? how would these kinds of things work with a great many instances of the plugins. that's kind of inevitable when working at the item rather than track level.
FX that are bridged using LinVST behave like any other plugins.

You can add them the FX bin or add them to clips.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #3
Jack Winter

I'm thinking this might not be a good idea. Reaper caches a lot of things regarding plugins which speeds up loading quite a bit, also AFAIK it makes several instances of the same plugin share the code already loaded.

I'm thinking that using LinVst wrapped plugins as item fx will probably have more overhead and much longer load times. Still please do try and let us know how it works

Once you figure out how to use LinVst it's a lot more simple than it appears at first glance!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
babag

thanks, guys. i tried linvst last night and was able to successfully convert a plugin as a test.

this all came about because i couldn't find a cockos plugin or jsfx ring modulator that i liked. i opened an older project to work on that had been previously a windows system project and made use of a third party ring modulator. when i went to try to replicate the sound using native reaper tools in linux i was unable.

like i said, i was able to successfully convert a downloaded ring mod and try it out briefly. using it i was able to replicate the sounds i was looking for. it did seem sluggish to me, though, the sounds i got from it were good. i can definitely see what jack is talking about as a possible problem. fortunately, ring mod is an effect i'd only occasionally make use of so, hopefully, the clog jack describes might not occur. mostly i stick to effects supplied directly with reaper.

the project i have up right now is a smaller one that probably won't have any of these kinds of issues. i'll report back when i return to the archived project with the ring mod if i have any other observations. have to say, though, that it's pretty awesome that any of this can be done at all, let alone well. the conversion i did went without a hitch.

thanks,
BabaG
Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
babag

reporting back as requested for jack and anyone else interested (justin?):

a little over a year ago i finished a large feature film project in w64 reaper and everything went swimmingly. that was a full sound design and mix project involving dialog, effects, music, and alternate sounds. my workflow has been to use pretty much exclusively item effects in building my projects. i've done this going back to when i used samplitude many years ago.

later i exported the project files to do a mix purely as a music project. i just tried to open this project in reaper for linux and was unable to do so. it just hangs on opening. this is on the simplest of the three parts the film is broken into, act-1. the act-1 project consists of 24 dialog tracks in a folder, 24 fx tracks in a folder, 24 music tracks in a folder, and 24 tracks in a folder for alternate sounds.

being unable to open the full act-1 project, i went back to windows, which opened it easily, and exported it in smaller parts. i separated each of the dialog, fx, music, and alternate parts each into its own project and returned to reaper for linux. once there, each of the parts does open. response is slow to non-functional, though, depending on how dense the project is. the heavier projects seem to freeze for long periods followed by a short jerk forward and another freeze. the lighter projects do play, though, i haven't actually listened yet.

at this point i'm too afraid of what might happen and have yet to turn my amps on. for now, i've just been seeing if anything will load or play at all. these tests were done with my simpler 96 track template and breaking that into four separate 24 track projects. most of the rest of the film makes use of a 192 track template as that is what was required to accommodate all of the audio designed for the piece. obviously, if the current state of reaper for linux is that it can't handle the 96 track part of the project, there's no possibility of working with the 192 track parts.

if the goal here, which i would hope it is, is to make the workflow more or less seamless between the various reaper iterations, sadly, i'd say reaper for linux has a long way to go. far enough, in fact, that i can't use it even for the simplest parts of this project.

i do intend to try to use reaper for linux for smaller projects but i also have to reflect some on whether that's practical since i now have to go back to windows for my larger work. that's a real disappointment, the moreso since i have davinci resolve also running on this same system. and, it's a system i MUCH prefer to windows.

thanks,
babag