Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
digitig
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get ASIO4ALL working with Realtek High Definition Audio

I know there have been a few other threads on this, and I have tried fiddling with the sample rate (which seems to be the usual issue) but to no avail. I thought it best to start a new thread rather than confuse an existing one.

I have "Realtek High Definition Audio" on my computer, and am trying to get Reaper working with ASIO4ALL. Reaper will produce sound if I select Wave Out, but not if I select ASIO. I attach screenshots of my settings. What am I doing wrong (apart, perhaps, from expecting decent results from Realtek High Definition Audio)?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper1.jpg (47.1 KB, 11594 views)
File Type: png reaper2.png (40.5 KB, 8807 views)
File Type: jpg reaper3.jpg (42.6 KB, 4858 views)
digitig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
DVDdoug

Quote:
Reaper will produce sound if I select Wave Out, but not if I select ASIO.
I don't use ASIO4ALL, but I think you might have to select the Windows drivers (WDM drivers) as your "Audio System", since ASIO4ALL is not a true ASIO driver and it needs to communicate with some of the standard Windows drivers.

If you are not having latency problems and your hardware & software work with Windows drivers, I'm not sure there is any advantage to ASIO4ALL.

If you need true ASIO, you need an interface (or soundcard) that works with ASIO and that comes with ASIO drivers for supplied by the hardware manufacturer, for that particular hardware.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I don't use ASIO4ALL, but I think you might have to select the Windows drivers (WDM drivers) as your "Audio System", since ASIO4ALL is not a true ASIO driver and it needs to communicate with some of the standard Windows drivers.
When it wrapped the WDM driver, it shows up as "ASIO4ALL" in the selection dropdown, so that's configured right.

@OP, to troubleshoot this it may be helpful to find out what specific Realtek chip ("ALC nnn") is used in your computer. Also, you may want to try the latest 2.11 beta instead and/or experiment with different Realtek drivers, older drivers compatible with that specific chip sometimes run better than newer ones.

Also make sure no other application (including web browsers) is hogging your chip.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
digitig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
If you are not having latency problems and your hardware & software work with Windows drivers, I'm not sure there is any advantage to ASIO4ALL.
I am having quite significant latency problems. Bad enough that not just I notice it, people watching me play notice it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

You can also try WASAPI instead of ASIO (gives comparable low latency on many systems).
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
digitig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
@OP, to troubleshoot this it may be helpful to find out what specific Realtek chip ("ALC nnn") is used in your computer.
I don't know how to identify the chipset. The hardware profile under the Windows control panel doesn't seem to report it, and neither does the Realtek control panel.
Quote:
Also make sure no other application (including web browsers) is hogging your chip.
I've tried with everything else shut down. No help.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
ivansc

Pretty much any of the cheaper, nastier of "proper" audio/midi interfaces is very likely going to perform a zillion times better than that realtek codec.
If only because they will have decent ASIO drivers.

Save yer pocket money, get a second paper round, sell your cat and start doing more housework for your wife or girlfriend or Mum as appropriate.

You will thank me later for this advice.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
dea-man

Seconded! Get yourself a cheap audio interface. You will be much, much happier.

I like firewire, but many use USB interfaces, with fine results.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
digitig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Pretty much any of the cheaper, nastier of "proper" audio/midi interfaces is very likely going to perform a zillion times better than that realtek codec.
If only because they will have decent ASIO drivers.

Save yer pocket money, get a second paper round, sell your cat and start doing more housework for your wife or girlfriend or Mum as appropriate.

You will thank me later for this advice.
How do I tell a proper one? What's the cheapest that will do the trick? The inputs I intend to use are an Alesis Q25 keyboard controller (at the moment going in on USB but has midi output too) and everything else is going through a Spirit Folio Lite mixer. It's only the Q25 I've got set up at the moment -- that's where I'm noticing the latency, although I don't know whether that's on the way in or out of the computer!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
dea-man

What are your needs (Multi channel recording?) and what is your price range?

Do you have a firewire card on your commputer?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
digitig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea-man View Post
What are your needs (Multi channel recording?) and what is your price range?

Do you have a firewire card on your commputer?
No, I don't have firewire (yet!).

Essentially I have the Alesis Q25 keyboard controller I mentioned, a passive electric bass, a Yamaha FR5B virtual accordion (which midi and line out), a Yamaha TX81Z midi expander, and I'm about to get some mics for various acoustic instruments (including voice). My intention is to send most things through the hardware mixer I already have. I only intend to record one track at a time, and to handle the multitracking, mixing and so on in the DAW, but putting everything through the hardware mixer means that I can trim the various levels once and for all and get consistent levels into the computer.

I'm only doing this for fun, so I don't need pro equipment. I'd like to get a working setup within about £100 (which given the way the exchange rate works on electronics means about $100), in the full knowledge that I'll want to add further bits as I go on.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
dea-man

To add a firwire card to your computer is not much. Around $12 or #20, or so.

The interface runs about $150 to $200. Again it depends on what your needs are. Are you recording more than just you? Do you need multiple channels recording at the same time, such as recording a band situation?

If not, look at these:

http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--Fire...faces/low2high

Change the screen to show low to high prices, if is doesn't automatically.

You can at least look at this site, but I bet you can find things just as cheap or cheaper, somewhere.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
ivansc

...unless he is using a laptop.

Then it is pretty unlikely he will be able to add a firewire card any more effectively than just buying a USB2 interface instead.

I use a Focusrite Saffire6 USB interface which gives you a couple o finputs with both line and mic capability, also MIDI and direct monitoring. Focusrite also have the Scarlett range, which are a different colour and slightly different specification.
The saffire6 is out there brand new for around £100 as is the smaller of the scarlett units, but there are countless other equally valid choices, all of which will work.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
RunBeerRun

Try disabling both inputs in the Asio4all control panel, go into the Windows control panel and disable any microphone/line in, de-select "listen to this device".

Wasapi is a lot more stable.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Megatron

You will still inevitably need to use ASIO4ALL, even if you source an external audio interface. Odds are that you will want to mix/master at some stage without having to have an external device and/or soundcard attached. Which is how I function - with both depending on requirements.

With regards to the 'Outputs Range' in the preference screen (Ctrl + P), 'First' should be set as output 1, and 'Last' as output 2. Also check your routing set up via Alt+R. Make sure the HD Audio Output 1 (stereo/MC) box in alignment with the the master output is checked.

I'm relatively new to Reaper (about 7 days in), and had encountered the exact same issue as digitig. Using 'WaveOut' or 'DirectSound' as the audio device when my soundcard isn't plugged in via USB is a massive no no. They click and pop everywhere unless you have the buffer size at 1024.

Also I have laptop setup so it's nice to mix and master on the move, and ASIO4ALL works great as a mobile solution.
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 PM   #16
Schoolmann

Default Similar problem: playback works, but can't hear while playing

I have a similar problem to the OP. Also using Asio4all with Realtek High Definition Audio on Windows 7 laptop. Guitar input using Ubisoft Rocksmith Realtone Cable into USB.

In my case, I can see audio input on record, but I can't hear any audio output. However, if I go ahead and record a sample section, I can then play back the recording, and the playback does output - I can hear it. So Asio4all is inputting and outputting to the correct devices, it just won't output in real time as I play. Any thoughts on this?
Schoolmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
JeffreyET

Get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or 2i4. (Others can recommend other cheap personal favorites). Say goodbye to hours of screwing around with your computer settings. You will not regret it.
JeffreyET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 AM   #18
Schoolmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolmann View Post
In my case, I can see audio input on record, but I can't hear any audio output. However, if I go ahead and record a sample section, I can then play back the recording, and the playback does output - I can hear it. So Asio4all is inputting and outputting to the correct devices, it just won't output in real time as I play.
Turns out I simply hadn't enabled input monitoring. Works fine now.
Schoolmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitig View Post
I know there have been a few other threads on this, and I have tried fiddling with the sample rate (which seems to be the usual issue) but to no avail. I thought it best to start a new thread rather than confuse an existing one.

I have "Realtek High Definition Audio" on my computer, and am trying to get Reaper working with ASIO4ALL. Reaper will produce sound if I select Wave Out, but not if I select ASIO. I attach screenshots of my settings. What am I doing wrong (apart, perhaps, from expecting decent results from Realtek High Definition Audio)?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
First thing i would suggest is to disable inputs and just start testing the outputs, then make sure that nothing else is running on the computer that is using audio in any way (Realtek has a bit of an issue being multi client when one of the clients is using ASIO4ALL)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
ivansc

Ha ha as usual we all leap for the hardware solution and it turns out to be a meatware problem. Well done OP for figurig it out, But once you get a bit more confidnet you are still gona want a better interface. You are on a slippery slope to Home Studio Heaven or Hell
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #21
digitig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Ha ha as usual we all leap for the hardware solution and it turns out to be a meatware problem. Well done OP for figurig it out, But once you get a bit more confidnet you are still gona want a better interface. You are on a slippery slope to Home Studio Heaven or Hell
No, I never found a solution with ASIO4ALL -- that was somebody else. I have gone for a hardware solution -- the Scarlett 2i2, which broke the budget but which is working fine. It's a bit of a nuisance having to switch sound devices (can't get 7.1 out of the 2i2), but one I can live with.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #22
midutchie

I had a similar issue, and resolved it in the "realtek HD audio manager". Either on your taskbar or in control panel you will find the "realtek HD audio manager". When you open it, in the dialog box that appears, you will see "advance device setting" (upper right hand corner). When you click on "advance device settings" another dialogue box pops up asking you if you prefer to "mute" the rear output or have it run a separate stream of data through it "simultaneously". If you have the simultaneous option checked then you are in essence attempting to host multiple clients which, as previously mentioned, will conflict with the ASIO driver. So... select the mute option instead and see if that resolves the issue. (you don't even need to reload reaper).

Not sure this was your problem, but hope it helps someone. This was my first day on Reaper and I found all of the community posting very helpful in determining the solution to my particular problem. props to all!
midutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #23
Hoodee

What's really messed up with newer Windows versions is that they don't allow the same "freedom" of abuse on hardware that XP allowed : a few years back, I could open my web browser, any meadia player and Reaper without even the slightest glitch or pop. Now, you're lucky if you can get one of them working properly...

I have no idea if anyone already suggested that, but here's what I do if my personnal computer (Windows7) hogs the sound card : plug in any headphones, line-in or USB devices you want to use, open your DAW, then open the Win task bar, go to the "services" tab, open the services admin panel and stop the "Windows Audio" one. Then go straight back to your DAW, open the audio device tab - by now, you should be able to see and use any input and output you have on board.
Hoodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
d1rkg3ntly

Default How I get around this problem

I had the same problem, so I knocked up a Windows Powershell script to stop the Windows Audio service before running REAPER and re-starting it afterwards.

1. From the Start Menu, search for "Windows Powershell". Right-click and "Run as Administrator"

2. At the prompt, enter the following and select Yes (this will allow locally created scripts to run without a digital signature, while still preventing scripts from other sources e.g. downloaded from the internet.)
Code:
Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned
3. Copy the code below into a text file and save it as "reaper.ps1" in your REAPER folder next to reaper.exe. If you've got User Account Control turned on, you'll need to run Notepad.exe (or whatever text editor you use) as Administrator to do this if you have installed REAPER into the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders.
Code:
# Get the ID and security principal of the current user account
$myWindowsID=[System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()
$myWindowsPrincipal=new-object System.Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal($myWindowsID)

# Get the security principal for the Administrator role
$adminRole=[System.Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole]::Administrator

# Check to see if we are currently running "as Administrator"
if ($myWindowsPrincipal.IsInRole($adminRole))
{
    # We are running "as Administrator" - so change the title and background color to indicate this
    $Host.UI.RawUI.WindowTitle = $myInvocation.MyCommand.Definition + "(Elevated)"
    $Host.UI.RawUI.BackgroundColor = "DarkBlue"
    clear-host
}
else
{
    # We are not running "as Administrator" - so relaunch as administrator
    # Create a new process object that starts PowerShell
    $newProcess = new-object System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo "PowerShell"

# Specify the current script path and name as a parameter
    $newProcess.Arguments = "-windowstyle hidden & `'" + $myInvocation.MyCommand.Definition + "`'"

$newProcess.CreateNoWindow = $TRUE

# Indicate that the process should be elevated
    $newProcess.Verb = "runas"

# Start the new process
    [System.Diagnostics.Process]::Start($newProcess)

# Exit from the current, unelevated, process
    exit
}

# Run your code that needs to be elevated here
Write-Host "Stopping Windows Audio Service..."
$service = Get-Service AudioSrv
if ($service.Status -eq "Running") { Stop-Service AudioSrv }
Write-Host "Running REAPER..."
$path = split-path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition
$reaper = Join-Path $path "reaper.exe" 
Start-Process -wait $reaper
Write-Host "Starting Windows Audio Service..."
Start-Service AudioSrv
4. Right-click the shortcut that you use to start REAPER and change the value in the target box as follows (remember to change the path to the reaper.ps1 script if yours is in a different location to mine):
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -windowstyle hidden -File "C:\Program Files (x86)\REAPER\reaper.ps1"
When you use the shortcut to start REAPER, you may see one or two console windows flash up depending on your settings, but the Windows Audio service will stop and REAPER will run. The script will hang around in the background waiting for REAPER to close and then re-start the service.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Note: This will change the icon on the shortcut to the Windows Powershell icon - you can set it back by clicking the Change Icon button and browsing to reaper.exe and selecting the original icon.

DG
d1rkg3ntly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #25
emcs

Default Windows 8.1 / Realtek HD Audio - my solution

I had a similar issue with ASIO4ALL version 2.12 on Windows 8.1 and the Realtek HD audio.

My headphones are connected via the optical out (SPDIF) and I was getting no sound - and all was working just fine when using the WASAPI driver.

I solved this by going to the ASIO4ALL dialog box, expanding the Realtek High Definition Audio node (click the + next to it) and noted that the audio outputs weren't correct for my setup (looks like it picked up the first input and the first output, but none of the outputs were the rights ones in my case). I selected both the SPDIF and the HD Audio outs, and things started working immediately.

I left my ASIO4ALL buffers on my setup for 512 for the playback, but Reaper is set to a huge buffer (12000 which is 10x the default) to avoid pops and crackles when using my sample library (Miroslav in my case, or anything with large samples really). The ASIO buffers did nothing for me, but the Reaper buffers fixed my issue.

E.
emcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #26
urlwolf

WASAPI seems to work fine here. No asio4all needed.But this is just playing vsti, not recording an external instrument.
urlwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 AM   #27
bobobo

check in reaper if the outrange is appropriate (look at threadopeners picture 1, there it is set to One Output only)
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #28
toddhisattva

Default Duc de Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedral144 View Post

Hi, Members same problem with me please help me also how i solve this.

Thanks
I always change the Windows default to some device I'm not going to use with ASIO4ALL (my computer thinks it has 13 sound cards so I have lots to choose from).

Quit web browsers and other apps that may have grabbed the default before the change, etc. Try to run only Reaper as a sound producer.

Worked for me just yesterday, sending sound to amp over the RealTek's optical output (stereo only (sadclown)).
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote