Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 11-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #41
hopi
Human being with feelings

OMG ... we can now see the midi notes as we play them... at last... how nice! Thanks Dev's... what next for midi, a real staff view perhaps????

And just so it don't get lost, I mention again item colors in the Navigation window..

And also, would it be possible to make the vertical scroll bar in the TCP window behave the same as the horizontal scroll bar? I mean so we can grab an end of the vertical scroll bar and just drag it up or down? and also if it is small, slide it up or down to move thru the view of tracks? [normal windows behaviour, right?]

Thanks again
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #42
jnif

The marvelous Reaper devs, could you please fix this bug.
MIDI CC reset when looping
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=3639

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #43
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
what next for midi, a real staff view perhaps????
http://askjf.com/index.php?q=1593s
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #44
Guido

Gi,

Thanks Cockos for EVERYTHING! I humbly ask one more GUI thing..and it would be enuff^^..Could we plz have any scrollbars used in Reaper be the ones from the Theme used? That would unify the Gui alot IMHO. Thanks..

Guido
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #45
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
Thanks Cockos for EVERYTHING! I humbly ask one more GUI thing..and it would be enuff^^..Could we plz have any scrollbars used in Reaper be the ones from the Theme used? That would unify the Gui alot IMHO. Thanks..

This is the next logical step, I suggested it already several prereleases ago. Seems like a simple thing to do - since they already did it for the FX window.

Then the only thing left to be skinned are buttons, radio buttons and checkboxes

Also there are some more windows which do not use the newly added theme colors:

• Dynamic split
  • Item properties / Click Source Properties
  • Nudge/Set items
  • Scale Finder
  • Transient Detection settings
  • Customize menu/toolbars
  • Parameter Modulation
  • Track/item/Input FX
  • JS interface
  • Browser in Media explorer
  • Track Recording Settings
  • Quantize Events
  • Humanize Notes
  • Transpose MIDI
  • Event Properties
  • Preferences
  • Project Settings
  • Every window from File menu
  • Add Marker
  • Insert Time Signature Marker
  • Edit Time Signature
  • Jump to time/marker/region
  • Insert tracks
  • Snap/Grid Settings
  • Metronome Settings
  • Take Comp Name
  • Locking settings
  • (SWS) Every window from Extensions list

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=64
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...55&postcount=6

Last edited by EvilDragon; 11-04-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #46
Anton9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
And just so it don't get lost, I mention again item colors in the Navigation window..

And also, would it be possible to make the vertical scroll bar in the TCP window behave the same as the horizontal scroll bar? I mean so we can grab an end of the vertical scroll bar and just drag it up or down?
+1 on both of these things.., hey hopi just in case you didn't know you can click and drag in between the + and - buttons and it's sort of like dragging the end of the scroll bar.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #47
Anton9

Regarding this fix from v4.11pre7 - October 26 2011
+ Project bay: fixed display of FX presets

It could use one more tweak. The right click popup doesn't list presets for 3rd party VSTs' and VSTis' unless you save each preset as a user preset, which is a pain if you have a lot of presets.
Anton9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #48
musicbynumbers

Default quick takes bug to hopefully fix :)

will mention this here since it is hopefully easy to fix

If you duplicate a MIDI take (so you have two instead of one take) the "ghosting function" acts on both takes.

By this I mean that if you add notes to one take they get added to the other take.

Is this intended behaviour as I thought the usefulness of being able to duplicate a take like this is so you can try out variations on it and quickly change from one version to another.

At the moment you have to "un-link" them by pressing the host button on the item.
musicbynumbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #49
EvilDragon

While we're on the subject of MIDI... there's one behavior when importing MIDI files that I don't like one least bit.

Suppose we import a MIDI file which has a lot of things going on in CC lanes. If we double-click an item in any of the loaded tracks, we will get this horrible sight:

[IMG]http://img714.**************/img714/4760/unusable.th.png[/IMG]

So I ask the kind people at Cockos - do you REALLY think this is usable? I don't think so... I want to see the notes much more than I want to see all those CC lanes! Do I actually see any notes here? Absolutely not! But I want to... But I can't, I first need to spend time to close all those CC lanes so I may actually begin some work! :/

MIDI editor should remember the last lanes which were selected to be shown by the user AND their heights too - and show ONLY those lanes, disregarding if there are actual events on them or not. This behavior right here is plain ridiculous...
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #50
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
Regarding this fix from v4.11pre7 - October 26 2011
+ Project bay: fixed display of FX presets

It could use one more tweak. The right click popup doesn't list presets for 3rd party VSTs' and VSTis' unless you save each preset as a user preset, which is a pain if you have a lot of presets.
+1this text is too short
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #51
musicbynumbers

Default Bug:still getting a few situations with item length too long

When recording a loop with the below settings my item ends just after the loop end point so it makes the looping of the item difficult.

-normal record mode (in option menu)
-input record (in right click on record button)
-creates new item in separate lanes (with "always add to new takes when looping" also on)
-no PDC enabled in the right click on record button and none created by the plug in.
-pre roll before recording on (1 bar)
-tempo 135.

hope that info is helpful can anyone reproduce?

thanks.

(ps:just been really enjoying recording midi tonight and even this little hiccup can't stop the lovely feeling of what this point release has brought already! thanks devs!)
Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #52
jnif

It would be useful to have some Record mode indicators in the GUI.
Especially the new MIDI record modes are quite awkward because you have to go to sub-menu just to check which mode you have selected.
Multi-state icon for record mode in TCP would solve this problem.

Also global record mode override setting would be useful. The state of global record mode should be shown at least in transport bar.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #53
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
It would be useful to have some Record mode indicators in the GUI.
Yes!

Quote:
Especially the new MIDI record modes are quite awkward because you have to go to sub-menu just to check which mode you have selected.
Exactly.

Quote:
Multi-state icon for record mode in TCP would solve this problem.
There could be a new TCP icon that only shows up on armed tracks (similar to the input FX button). = less space wasted for un-armed tracks

Quote:
Also global record mode override setting would be useful. The state of global record mode should be shown at least in transport bar.
This would be my favourite approach. And it would have the MIDI rec mode, visible at all times. (I think of a toggle switch similar to the Automation)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #54
jedstar2000

Default Bug : Project bay not abeying screensets

I'm getting an annoying bug with the project bay appearing in screensets its not supposed to.

I have a screenset set up as an inspector and one with project bay / Media explore etc . Recently the project bay keeps appearing in the Inspector layout when switching back from the project bay / Media Explore screenset and has to be removed manually.

Also how do I color the Media explore and cockos vst's

Last edited by jedstar2000; 11-05-2011 at 04:59 AM.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #55
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Also how do I color the Media explore and cockos vst's
Media Explorer - don't use the Windows Explorer view.

Cockos VSTs - not happenning yet.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #56
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
will mention this here since it is hopefully easy to fix

If you duplicate a MIDI take (so you have two instead of one take) the "ghosting function" acts on both takes.
Is this intended behaviour as I thought the usefulness of being able to duplicate a take like this is so you can try out variations on it and quickly change from one version to another.
This works as intended. The usefulness of this feature is that you can copy some/any parts and they will all reflect the later changes made in any one of them, instead of always having to go back to the source item to change something in every item...or in the worst case, having to make the same change into each item separately.

If you want to simply copy one item around and then try variations, you can indeed remove from the pool the ones you want to change individually.

But if you always work like that, you can set your preferences so that MIDI source data is not pooled (ghosted) when copied and/or set your Mouse Modifiers so that pooling happens only with a specific modifier.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #57
musicbynumbers

Thanks for the reply but it's not the copying the item links it, that behavior I agree with being default.
It is the linking/ghosting that happens when you "duplicate" takes. This command simply creates a new take within the same MIDI item, the problem is the reason for having a 2nd take is so you can add some variation and experiment with it whilst take one is untouched. I can't think of a reason why takes (not separate items) should auto link changes.

Hope that makes more sense now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
This works as intended. The usefulness of this feature is that you can copy some/any parts and they will all reflect the later changes made in any one of them, instead of always having to go back to the source item to change something in every item...or in the worst case, having to make the same change into each item separately.

If you want to simply copy one item around and then try variations, you can indeed remove from the pool the ones you want to change individually.

But if you always work like that, you can set your preferences so that MIDI source data is not pooled (ghosted) when copied and/or set your Mouse Modifiers so that pooling happens only with a specific modifier.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #58
xpander

Oh, thanks for clearing that one. I was thinking about the regular item copies, but see your point now. I have never used that Duplicate active take feature, but now that I tried it, it didn't automatically pool (ghost) the takes.

However, when I ticked the option Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items in the preferences, it sure did. For me this seems ok and behaves like with items in this regard.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #59
jedstar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Media Explorer - don't use the Windows Explorer view.

Cockos VSTs - not happenning yet.
Ahh Thanks

I thought I saw Adam had cockos vst's backgrounds colored although with some undesirable side-effects . No biggi but it would be nice to have these plugins colored as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
ReaFX look pretty awful now using a lot of themes (including the V3 Default):

jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #60
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton9 View Post
+1 on both of these things.., hey hopi just in case you didn't know you can click and drag in between the + and - buttons and it's sort of like dragging the end of the scroll bar.
Oh thanks I did not know that.. and it is helpful

still don't you think it would be better to see the vert. scroll bar get smaller and just be able to drag that up and down?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #61
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Oh, thanks for clearing that one. I was thinking about the regular item copies, but see your point now. I have never used that Duplicate active take feature, but now that I tried it, it didn't automatically pool (ghost) the takes.

However, when I ticked the option Pool MIDI source data when pasting or duplicating media items in the preferences, it sure did. For me this seems ok and behaves like with items in this regard.
Thanks for testing

I too want items to pool when copied but there seems to be absolutely no reason to make take 2 a pool/ghost of take 1 ever!

My reasoning is, if you wanted take 2 to be identical to take 1 there would be no point in creating it since it would serve no purpose

That's why regardless of preferences, it should never pool on duplicating of take within same item..

..unless I missed something here
Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #62
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
While we're on the subject of MIDI... there's one behavior when importing MIDI files that I don't like one least bit.

Suppose we import a MIDI file which has a lot of things going on in CC lanes. If we double-click an item in any of the loaded tracks, we will get this horrible sight:

[IMG]http://img714.**************/img714/4760/unusable.th.png[/IMG]

So I ask the kind people at Cockos - do you REALLY think this is usable? I don't think so... I want to see the notes much more than I want to see all those CC lanes! Do I actually see any notes here? Absolutely not! But I want to... But I can't, I first need to spend time to close all those CC lanes so I may actually begin some work! :/

MIDI editor should remember the last lanes which were selected to be shown by the user AND their heights too - and show ONLY those lanes, disregarding if there are actual events on them or not. This behavior right here is plain ridiculous...
and would it be possible to drag and move lanes to reorder them? So you could have the lane you want to see right under the notes?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #63
Mod Bod

I am running v4.11pre11 - November 2 2011

I got a crash out of the blue today as I was simply using the top toolbar to look at different screens and learn a little more about the program.

No play back was running at the time. I think I simply clicked on FILE>FX Browser and took a look at it and I closed it and then Reaper crashed.

I am attaching a minidump in case it could be of any help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 110511-19406-01.zip (31.1 KB, 134 views)

http://www.gatortraks.com
Mod Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #64
IXix

Shamelessly resurrecting a dead thread in pursuit of bitwise operator happiness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXix View Post
Yay, yay and double yay! How about the ~ as well while you're at it? Pretty please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm yes, though then you'd have to decide that the integers are 32 bits... I suppose an xor operator would be a good idea too, maybe ~^ or ^^...
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote