Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
cudarftj
Human being with feelings

Default Where do I get VST Plugins from for Reaper?

Hello,
Where do I get more plugins for Reaper? I'm not savy about where to go. I'm a virgin whenn it comes to DAWs. I'm just learning about Reaper and using it.Any links would be greatly appreciated.
So far I really enjoy using the software. Do you get more plugins when you pay for the Licsence? Do you have to pay for Revalver to?
cudarftj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
ngarjuna

I would say start here. If you do a search you'll find there are multiple threads like this (but this is the stickied one and contains a lot of good advice on free VSTs):

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=563
ngarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
EpicSounds

The KVR Audio database lists EVERY plugin with description, price and where to get it.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php
Old 04-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
technogremlin

Check the link in my signature (below this message)
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
cudarftj

Default WOW!! I hit the Mother Load of Plugins!!

THANK YOU Technogremlin!!!! WOW I guess you had the mother load of Plugins....WOW. I will be playing for aloooooong time.
WHEW
Old 04-23-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
technogremlin

Glad I could help

Don't forget to check the list every now and then (or just keep track of the discussion) as I'm still adding more stuff over time
Old 04-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
cudarftj

Default Can't get downloads to run!! ARHG!!

Technogremlin, I'm having problems getting the downloads to run. I think I'm doing something wrong. So far I downloaded the superwavessynths.co one and I can't seem to get it to start or load...I think....DUH... not sure of what I'm doing. I've been downloading them into the Reaper plugins, but I don't get a big picture of a synth like they show. In fact I don't even see a exe. file anywhere. If you could help me Technogremlin it would be a great help to me. I'm a newbie virgin.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Fergo

VST plugins are not EXE files, but DLLs (you might download a bunch of VSTs in EXE format, but that's the installer of it, not the plugin itself).

Regarding the location, they don't go into Reaper's plugins folder, as they are not a Reaper extension, but a generic audio plugin that can be used in a lot of other softwares too. They usually go in "Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins" folder, but you can choose whatever folder you want. You'll need to setup the VST path in your audio software, so it will know where to look for the DLL files. In Reaper, you must go to "Options->Preferences->Plug-ins\VST" and set the path where your VST DLL files are and click to "Rescan" the directory. After that, the plugins should be listed in the FX window, at the VST category.

Fergo
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #9
technogremlin

Fergo's explanation is spot-on, nothing to add so far. But if you need more help, feel free to ask. We're a helpful bunch here
Old 04-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Sheppola

Don't forget that Reaper's own supplied VSTs are very powerful even if they don't have fancy interfaces.
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
cudarftj

Default Where I'm at today......

Thanks Fergo and Technogremlin for your patience and understanding with me and for all your help!!!!! Now that said i need some patience and understanding myself...LOL.
OK I will try to explain whats happening now. I created a file in Program Files called Reaperdownloads. I cut and pasted all the downloads that I did to that file. The problem is when I go to create a path to Reaper it doesn't show my folder or any of the downloads in it. It seems the only way I can reach that folder is by downloading another file...ARHG. I know this sounds crazy, but that's what's happening to me. So any way I went to search and it located the file. It shows the file and when I double click on it it brings up a box that says"Choose the program you want to use the open the file". It shows Microsoft office, Notepad,Real Player and so forth. I don't know what to open it with. It doesn't have the Reaper folder to open it with. I'm afraid I'm gonna pick the wrong program to open it with. So there is where I'm at today.
On the good news I did manage to make a great guitar recording using my Art Pro Channel. I plugged my guitar right into the back of the Pro Channel and added my lightsnake cable to the Pro Channel and into the computer. The pro Channel allows me a Tube Preamp,Tube comp. or Optical and a Tube EQ. It sounds incredible.I had a few problems with that to. The only way I could hear what I player was going into preferences and clicking direct connection to hear it coming out my speaker. The other problem I had was it only recorded to either left or right I'm not sure which at the moment. Another words I couldn't pan it right or left it was just in one speaker. So I am making grounds on using Reaper.

Last edited by cudarftj; 04-24-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #12
cudarftj

BTW I have Vista for an operating system.

Last edited by cudarftj; 04-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
victoriousmusic

click on the file and see what type of file it is..R click and go to properties, if it is .dll file it will not open except in your host (Reaper). Did you say you created a file in Program Files? That's where I have my VST folder. I am running Vista too by the way.
If the file ext. is .exe it is to install the synth. If it is something like .zip or .rar you will need to unzip it with winrar or 7 zip or something. Then take the .dll file and place it in your VST folder.
Go to Options, then preferences in Reaper and click on the VST in the left margin. Add your folder name to the box that Reaper looks for plug ins in. Then press the search or whatever that is called and Reaper should find it. Then, anytime you get a new vst, just place it in the folder and you shouldn't have to ever make Reaper search for it again.

Hope this is clear as mud!
victoriousmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Fergo

cudarftj, take a look at this pic, it may clear things up a little:

(click to see the bigger image)

On the left you can see where I keep my VST plugins. I extract/install all of them into "C:\Arquivos de Programas\Steinberg\VstPlugins" directory (my Windows is brazilian portuguese, so "Program Files" becomes "Arquivos de programas").

You can see that the plugins are just DLL files. Some plugins, specially instruments (like pianos, virtual drums and samplers in general), needs other files that are not bundled in the DLL (like the audio samples). This files are usually not stored in the same folder as the VST DLL (they normally go into a library folder or something like that), but that doesn't matter to the host (Reaper), because the plugin DLL is what will look out for the files it needs.
For example, when you download the plugin Kontakt 4 from Native Instruments, it comes in a .exe format. That's the installer. When you run it, it will ask you where to put the plugin DLL (inside that "VstPlugins" folder) and another location to store the samples (they call it "library"), like the strings sounds, drum sounds, piano sounds, etc...

On the right side of the picture I posted, there is my VST configuration dialog inside Reaper. There you can see I've pointed the VST path to that directory where I keep all my DLL files. When Reaper boots up, it will scan for that directory for new stuff and everything that is OK to use will be available in the Effects dialog (the FX button at the track control panel). If I choose to load Kontakt 4 that I've mentioned earlier, the DLL of Kontakt will take care of loading all the samples and stuff.

Fergo
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #15
cudarftj

Default I got one working!!!WOOOOOHOOOO!!!

Well I was able to get the superwavetable one working properly in the Reaper software. Don't really know how I got it work, but i did. that file gave me the option of running it which opens the .exe file. That made all the difference. It seems alot of these files do not have a .exe files. I tried a few more files but i didn't have success.However I'm learning which is a good thing. I WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE HELPED WITH MY PROBLEMS. THANK YOU THANK YOU !! I will keep posting here until I get them all right.

Last edited by cudarftj; 04-24-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
cudarftj

Default How do you play the synths?

How do you get a keyboard up in Reaper? I want to use the new superwavetable synth, buit i don't know where to get a keyboard.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
victoriousmusic

Just go to view and click on show virtual keyboard. It will then be visible and you can play it with the mouse by clicking on the keys, or using your computer keyboard. The notes have the corrosponding letter on the keyboard right on there. Best of Luck
victoriousmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
Sheppola

If you are looking for a midi keyboard controller to use that has zero problems with Reaper I use a small E-MU Xboard 25

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...eyboard--27466

that sits nicely on my PC desk pull-out shelf.Comes with some great free software sample sounds and included VST for them(Proteus Lite).You can map all the knobs/controllers on it to reaper as well.
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
cudarftj

Default I can't get anything to work!

I've been trying everything I know for days now and everything everyone of you have said to do and....Nothing.The only one I managed to get to work was a superwave 8 one. The reason why that one worked is it had a run option which i clicked and wallah. I scanned it in to the reaper program and it worked. Every other VST file I placed in the Steinberg\VSTPlugins then when I go to open the file it asks me where I want to put it. So I click VSTPlugins and it doesn't accept that folder]file or what ever and then I back where I started. It seems that these files need registrations or something to that effect or something I don't know.....I'm so frustrated.
I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR STICKING WITH ME AND TRYING TO EXPAND MY BRAIN!!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #20
cudarftj

Default I figured something out

OK I figured something out. If it doesn't offer you a run option after you've saved the file it won't work. Unless some of you know the reason how to do it. I don't. I now have TWO Instruments that I've downloaded. A Piano and a synth. WOOOHHOOOOOO !!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #21
cudarftj

Default I think I've solved the problem

I think I've got it now. When you download you have to download it into its ownner file then extract it to its own file then look for the .dll file and cut it and paste it to the Steinberg VSTPlugins file. The all I have to do is add it to the Reaper ansd reschan it. The everything has worked for me. THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU ALL!! who have heplped me with this.