Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 01-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #41
tweed
Human being with feelings

cool more great ones! so many pieces to the puzzle. The whole knowing what the set's gonna be like makes it possible.

Code:
So, what about wishing for making sounds fast by the hundreds 
(track template saves) and being able to call 'em up in any order in rehearsal?
i'm stumbling around with the thought that at some point the features and then brain needed to keep it all 'in mind' might allow us to have ALL sound pretty much available.

Not for jamming so much, though being more flexible in rehearsal etc. like, ok how's about these string, ok, or these, or these ones etc etc etc.

I remember weeks back where SWS release the fix/feature -add for snapshots.And then I went for track templates as the brightest guiding light, so to speak.

it was like, whoa, hey i'm just throwing sounds together and saving 'em as track templates WITHOUT so much as having to think about it or organize nuthin; done that (organizing WHILE creating) to the point of creative burn-out. Hey, I gotta stop thinkin' that... euhhhh, I'm fine! hehehe

So then I thought, WHOA, what about just creating many HUNDREDs of sounds on the fly, throw a track together layer up some VST's....SAVE IT (as track template) with a name or number. Then another and another and another all in minutes!

Then later... ok, let's see, I've got 57 strings I put together in TOTAL creative mode. and the same for Wild pianos, and on and on...
NOW in a TOTALLY seperate mental process, I'm gonna strap 'em to midi-translator madness program changes.

Now all I have to think about is some print out that tells me what the 57 string sounds (loosely categorized hehehe) are strapped to what program or controller number.

Im my experiments, detailed around her somewhere
within the current 'only 10' track templates loadable via commands I had the BEST time. My little macro did some kinda move down a track and delete the previous one or something. Can't recall right now, which is sadly telling.

um, yeah, i'd go the next step and decide on an organizational set-list ordering methodology AFTER I knew that I could have ANY track template sound I'd made (or something even better) in rehearsal, even if it wasn't quite instantaneous. (there's a wee delay when loading track templates though NO glitch like with snapshots)

um, am I rambling enough yet? Hopefully I missed something huge and I can again find the way LOGICALLY back to the evening or two I had weeks ago when I THOUGHT track templates were gonna be 'more than 10' assignable to controllers.

Yeah, being able to just bash together sounds and save 'em as track templates did it. Though there's currently no way to recall 'em. (only 10 possible, and of course yet other niggles) Still: That seperate process vibe and how totally musical it was made me say, I'll wait. Yeah, I can wait. woo hoo! oh yeah. Then again, maybe it's all just a thought away!

ok, I'm gonna dream now.

I say it won't be that long before something huge drops feature-wise.

There's enough inertia.

And yeah, it's GOTTA be using JUST REAPER, for me that is.
It's just SO damn close and SO incredibly lovable and confidence inspring.

Just like my passport pro 4 track apple II sequencer WASN'T, back in 1982 or so. (There's a long list in this category though Passport pro was my first professional 'hell I lived though', happily) hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehaaaaa aaaaaaa

Last edited by tweed; 01-22-2010 at 03:30 AM.
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #42
gurulogic

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I seriously suggest Sensomusic Usine, the VST version as a solution to on the fly VST preset changing.
With Usine VST (pro version), you can load up to 16 "instances" of the plugin on 16 tracks and all instances are "bridged" together as one.
The preset manager module in Usine can be placed anywhere for individual control of any patch or sub patch and presets can be triggered by midi or key control, or even by an action within Usine. Also, with a bit of digging around it is possible to create some recallable routing matrix type functionality.
Additionally, Usine can load patches or even entire workspaces with a remote midi or key control.

Also, Usine offers an excellent interface builder that allows you to build a "your imagination is the limit" live performance control interface.

The free version is good enough to get a rough idea of how it works (tip, if you duplicate the Usine VST folder, you can use the free version on more tracks by loading another "true" instance of the plugin.

If anyone likes, I could make a demonstration project in Reaper with Usine to show you what I mean.
check it out... http://www.sensomusic.com

(disclaimer, I know I sound like I am trying to sell something but I have no financial affiliation with Sensomusic whatsoever, I just love the soft and I think it could be a usefull solution in this case )
gurulogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #43
tweed

Oh yes! I am certain many of us would love to know how to do that with Usine. Looked into it though never able to follow-through to trying practically. Tips much appreciated. Demonstration project would be terrific!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #44
gurulogic

I don't think I'm gonna have a chance to put together an example before monday but the easiest example I can give for now is to load Usine vst onto a track in Reaper that has audio ready to play, open the interface and double click to open a patch (the lower rectangular box below the track number), drop a vst plugin of your choice, press the browser button at the top, navigate the modules menu to the interface control section and drag a preset manager onto the patch (choose 8 presets for this example)

Now you will notice in the main track view that the patch is showing an interface for the preset manager.Set your vst as desired, press the S and then a number 0-7. This will store the current state of the vst. now change your vst settings and repeat the above to store another preset.
Now you can press on a number that has a preset stored and you will see the vst recall it's setting.

Keep in mind that audio passing through Usine will have a delay of several milliseconds depending on your audio and host buffer settings, and also the buffer setting in the Usine setup panel (which I run at 0), and as far as I know Usine is not reporting the latency to the host so you may want to manually compensate non usine tracks in Reaper.
Also, there's always a chance depending on the plugin or how many plugins you have loaded that you might hear an audio interuption in the audio signal passing through Usine when you load a preset. I recommend in most cases that you do preset selection only when a track is not processing live audio (ie: mute that track and play another) but that is not to say that it won't usually be fine with lighter vst's. In some cases, certain plugins or just trying to recall too much preset data at once can cause a glitch in your main audio due to cpu spikes so you may need to explore what your limitations are for your system.
...and of course you can do the same with vsti's

Setting up for realtime patch loading is a bit more complicated so I won't get into that right now, but just to see how it works on your system you can try saving a patch to disk and loading it while you have audio playing from other tracks. I can load huge patches with tons of vst's flawlessly on my system while audio plays on other tracks, but I do have a smoking fast computer...

hope this helps...
Old 05-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #45
gurulogic

Here's another interesting utility. Wusik VM allows you to load a vsti by loading the preset for it. It has no midi remote control load option, but if you load it in Usine, the vsti inside is recalled with Usine's preset system. Unfortunately it does not seem to work with vst's...
http://www.wusik.com/w/wvm.html
The source code appears to be freelay available so perhaps this is something that could be incorporated right inside Reaper?
Old 05-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #46
tweed

actually very useful as a tutorial, having not gotten very far with usine attempts that's great! giving everything a try for sure next week when there's a good block of time. time and experience much appreciated.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #47
gurulogic

Ok, I promised an example. Better late than never....

Anyways, here you go, a basic example:
http://www.sensomusic.com/forums/vie...d=13959#p13959
Old 05-20-2010, 01:05 AM   #48
tweed

GREAT !!! just found your post. Trying this weekend. will be most interesting after thinking about Usine yet not getting it quite for so long. great thanks, uh... obviously.=)
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #49
gurulogic

cool...
well if you have any questions, feel free to ask, either here or on the Usine forums where people tend to be absurdly helpfull.
Also remember that the example I made was just as a quick demonstration and as you get to know Usine you will probably find methods of doing the same thing that better fit your personal workflow...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #50
MCV

Hi!

In all honesty I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I will. I'm really trying to find a solution for playing live, I use Reaper in the studio, and I'm kind of starting to see how it could be used live, just like Forte or Cantabile, but with more features and more stability.

What Forte or Cantabile do works exactly like switching between projects (can be done in Reaper using the extensions), and once inside a project, changing the snapshot. So each project would be a song, and each snapshot would give you access to a set of sounds for that song.

Plus you can have backing tracks seamlessly integreated, and if you do you can also switch between snapshots using markers, so you wouldn't have to touch anything.

That's all pretty cool.

And here's my 2 cents: to make all this work, you have to forget about using sample-heavy VSTs.

Think of it: the reason any regular workstation flips through presets so fast is because presets typically use just a couple of samples, the rest is all in the engine. That's why your Roland Fantoms can have as much as 1 gb of samples... and that's the top of the range. Any 'decent' multisampled piano in VST format will be two to ten or more times bigger than that - just forget it!

Of course, there's the issue of loosing quality if you use simpler instruments, less samples. But it is a non-issue in a live situation, and if it was then keyboard players all around the globe wouldn't be using hardware romplers.

Now imagine you commit yourself to a 2mb of samples limit per instrument. If you can have this, then switching between projects would take less than a second.

How can you do this? By resampling your VSTs. You can use something like DiscoDSP Highlife, for instance, or just learn how to create sample libraries. It is not so difficult (although it can be time consuming). SFZ format is particularly powerful and easy enough I think.

That's my 2 cents.
MCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #51
gofer
-blänk-

I am not sure, but isn't "S&M live config" (in the latest greatest SWS extensions) exactly the answer to this thread?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #52
MCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I am not sure, but isn't "S&M live config" (in the latest greatest SWS extensions) exactly the answer to this thread?
Can you ellaborate on this pls? Wich extension are you talking about? Links?

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #53
gofer
-blänk-

Talking about SWS extensions. If you don't have them yet, you should grab them by all means. Lots and lots of useful stuff in there, too much to single some stuff out. Here's the link: http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/

The new feature I am talking about is described roughly as follows: (excerpt from the What's New? page)

Quote:
Originally Posted by What'sNew?

Added new dockable view "S&M Live Configs" and 8 actions "Apply live config n (MIDI CC only)" where n is [1,8].
This is for live performance: optimize CPU/RAM use, get rid of the 16 MIDI channel limit, etc.

Typical workflow example: route your armed input track to the tracks you have configured in the "Live Configs" view. Then, while playing, you send CC messages (previoulsy learnt) to automatically switch between those tracks/configurations you have defined: mute all tracks except the active one, mute all receives from the input track except for the active one, load track templates, load FX Chains and/or run custom actions when activating/deactivating a config.

These actions belong to a new section "S&M Extension". See details here. Demo here.

Added action "SWS/S&M: Open Live Configs window..." (in the main section)
I can't help further, as I never tried that feature yet myself. I doubt it's already in SWS' manual (download it anyway, if you haven't already: http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/manual.php).

Maybe you can wringe out some info from the beta-phase thread here: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63775.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #54
MCV

That's great, I'll have a look.

If that works there'll be only one thing missing: switching between project tabs using midi.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #55
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
That's great, I'll have a look.

If that works there'll be only one thing missing: switching between project tabs using midi.
there are a few goto project tab (next, previous, tab N (sws) etc) actions in the list - assignable to a midi controller no prob.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #56
DeyBwah

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=65086

Float down and start reading from post #32.

I tried to do a preset change while playing LIVE, but A3 doesn't support preset changes. Would this feature allow me to anyway?
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #57
Jeffos
Mortal

The SWS extension indeed features a "Live First Aid Kit" since v1.8.0
These tools are made so that you don't need any keyboard, mouse, monitor: prepare your "live" project(s) once, then use REAPER as an FX/VST processor.

I tried the "live" applications discussed above, but for me REAPER beats all of them hands down: stability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV View Post
there'll be only one thing missing: switching between project tabs using midi.
"Select project (MIDI CC only)" is also present in the latest SWS Extensions (in the "S&M Extension" section). Learn: absolute CC only.

For that, as well as the Live Config view and actions, this post might help too - from the same thread gofer linked (BTW, thanks a lot gofer!). Some very technical details about the Live Config are discussed here too.
In other words, er.. no real doc.. yet.

Your "Live Configs" are stored per project. Several musicians can use different Live Configs simultaneously: there're 8 actions "Apply live config n (MIDI CC only)"

Now, the only thing I really miss is the ability to change presets (REAPER's ones, not the FX ones), either through the FR linked in the OP or thanks to the API (the "Live Config" is ready for that, I can change presets "brutally" but it has the same poor performance than changing FX Chains).

_____

For live performers, these other tools might be useful too:
- TrackReaControl, MIDIReaRoute & SendReaControl: see the link
- MIDItoReaControlPath: among other things, combined with JS effects, you can turn any device (that outputs MIDI) into a custom HW controller (ie adapt/process its MIDI message to your needs and then send them to the control path) and/or use JS to send feedback to it. Also something that has been discussed recently: you can accurately detect beat/measure changes (using the JS keyword "beat_position") to trigger actions or control FX params accordingly (i.e. send CCs to the control path on beat update), etc..

Last edited by Jeffos; 09-24-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: simplified
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #58
MCV

Ok, I'll try the midi assignments and see how it all goes.

All I need (and all I think anyone may need) for a live performance is the ability to switch between projects (one project = one song) and snapshots inside each project (one snapshot = one patch). If I could control all this from the keyboard, then great. This is the exact same way Cantabile works, only less reliably, and it is just perfect for live performance.

I did however tried a bit of all this last night, and it really changes fast from one snapshot or project to the next (provided you're not using huge sample libraries, as explained in my previous post).

Now I think that a dedicated live performance tool using the Reaper engine would be a very popular product, as it'd be better than Cantabile, Forte or Logic's MainStage. But for a keyboard player it can't be as complicated really, it needs to be 100% straightforward (as Cantabile is).

That I'd love to buy and I know of several people that also would.

Cheers!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #59
Jeffos
Mortal

Yes, when I read myself back, I often find my english explanations "complicated".. I suck when it comes to doc. But I think the use of the Live Config is quiet straight forward (?). If you have any suggestions or questions, they're welcome MVC! Perharps in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63775 (as it'll probably help other users)

[EDIT] well, MCV, I re-read, the Live Configs exactly fits your needs (and more), except it's free

I forgot:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I tried to do a preset change while playing LIVE, but A3 doesn't support preset changes. Would this feature allow me to anyway?
As said above, I'm not yet able to change -REAPER's- presets efficiently (that would be the way to go when a VST/FX doesn't support preset change), though you can do it this way for the moment: save different FX Chains (with your different tweaks) and then, simply assign those FX Chains in the Live Configs view.

Last edited by Jeffos; 09-24-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: reply to DeyBwah
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #60
DeyBwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
Yes, when I read myself back, I often find my english explanations "complicated".. I suck when it comes to doc. But I think the use of the Live Config is quiet straight forward (?). If you have any suggestions or questions, they're welcome MVC! Perharps in this thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=63775 (as it'll probably help other users)

[EDIT] well, MCV, I re-read, the Live Configs exactly fits your needs (and more), except it's free

I forgot:

As said above, I'm not yet able to change -REAPER's- presets efficiently (that would be the way to go when a VST/FX doesn't support preset change), though you can do it this way for the moment: save different FX Chains (with your different tweaks) and then, simply assign those FX Chains in the Live Configs view.
Hi Jeffos,

Great English for not being a native!

I've never used the "Live Configs view". In fact, I don't even recall ever hearing of that view.. I'll have to look it up in the manual. Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, it'd be great if we could get some more features to control our presets. It seems that REAPER is lacking in that department. I was also checking out the Zen preset changer. That's looks like there's a lot of potential.

It will only get better with time.
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #61
MCV

hi there!

I'm also not native, we do our best, and I do understand your explanation, I will get my hands dirty this weekend with the live thing, and I'm sure I'll get it to work. At least I hope so.

What I meant though is this:

I think there's a HUGE NEED right now for a solution that allows musicians to take their laptop on the stage.

Seriously. Who the fuck would want to keep paying 3000+ euros for a Roland Fantom or Yamaha Motif, when you can have a multi-core laptop with hundreds of gigs of samples and the most stable and good-sounding sound card on the market (namely RME) for a bit more than 1000? As said, the best workstations can have maybe 1gb of samples, at the most, and then they typically don't use but just maybe as much as eight samples per voice.

Compare that to a multisampled piano with several samples per key.

So what these keyboards typically do very well is:

1. Switching between sounds at the flick of a button.
2. Fully integrated keyboard / engine interface, so that you have for instance one button that takes you to all your string instruments, things like that.
3. Reliability.

The engine in Reaper is capable of doing all this, me thinks, and it is the most reliable engine out there by far.

So what if we could have Cantabile, just more or less like it is, intuitive, etc, but with a Reaper engine? Even more - what if there existed some kind of bundle of a keyboard and a software, with full integration, like specific buttons triggering specific menus and things like that? That'd be a dream come true.

Me, I'd probably buy it (at a reasonable price) and never look back.

In the meantime, I will seriously get into all this live reaper extensions, and I'm sure it'd be fine. But there is a lot of people out there that won't get into such depths, but are willing to pay for a platform, and the Reaper guys have that platform, so that's passing on an opportunity, IMHO.

Get a deal with some keyboard manufacturer (like CME), and create a fully integrated bundle. You'll rock the music scene in less than a year, roland & korg will go bankrupt I guarantee. I bet that was the idea behind Kore, but it sucks so much ass.

Just dreaming a bit anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #62
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
UPDATE 2: Having a great time with templates and sws/xenakios So: does anyone think the loading templates (with marks embeded and various tracks set certain ways) IS the most powerful way to build a live set??
===
UPDATE COMMENT: ooo.... markers can load FXchains...oh, er, that's track templates? ok, gonna have ta get going here on all this. So, template switching would be big glitches as not instantaneous etc. I guess.

===

yeah, it's showing a bit of my struggle back from a bit of 'get me-self LIVE' burn-out I figure. The old (and hopefully the new) ME, woulda dug right in and figured it out... Question-mass' are a bit weak/feeble/whatever, coming from me is what I'm thinkin'...

READ: 100 thanks..!
OK Tweed it looks like you went way down the rabbit-holes with this one. Did you ever achieve ALL of your criteria? Did you find which method works best? or still a holy grail?!

There's a cool thread advocating reaper as an alt to a physical mixer in live performance, does that ring a bell? not sure if there's anything to be learned from it, or if that dude can give any pointers... check it out
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #63
zappazapper

http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/...rformance.html

Is this an option for you?
zappazapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #64
tweed

Cool. Nice write/remind - thanks.

Not home for another week or so (looking forward to success as early as this season) - Have achieved 'fledglingly workable", with, two REAPER instances running and then switch between each instance. As well, lately have been going for total success with 2 tabs and switching between them. It's totally do-able... though, with the hands-free necessity - dissecting, moving, understanding deeper the actions and VSTs written into files, modding them in the .ini and the reaper project file - midi translator front end - arduino hardware footpedal, Live configs and all... I'm not there yet. Fact is, it's me, as it's entirely do-able there's just a ton of finer points and gotcha things to sort - REAPER is the ultimate interest... for me.

TOPLINE: thankfully and with SO So so much appreciation, I KNOW that with the help of the astonishingly brainy and kind REAPER-runners here I'm not worried about ultimately getting it going.

back here i trust in a couple of weeks perhaps.
it's all here - I've just not dug deep enough, or, not able to figure it past where I've gotten without a better big-think effort and then clear questions/detailings, here.

funny as the deep/hard-for-me aspects, in my view, once mastered will have REAPER making it so simple AND enjoyable because it's REAPER!!! *-) It takes just as long to learn the lessers. [for me]

I recall my astonishment back in Nov.2006 at finding REAPER - I'm SO grateful it's not wrecked/tainted/tarted like so many others. Remembering Logic on PC in 2000 and then the tearful, "now what'.

thanks,,, ALL

Last edited by tweed; 01-12-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #65
mschnell

Since several months, I am very happily using Reaper with Live Configs for Live playing VST plugins with two Master Keyboards and a TEC BBC. I wrote an update/extension to the Live Configs manual -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf. Reaper is supposedly the most versatile option for this. Seemingly finding the necessary information for setting it up is not exactly easy.

I am sure I also would happily use Reaper as a Live Mixer, if I would need one.

(Of course I do use Reaper as a DAW for recording and processing.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM   #66
tweed

YES!!! found your additional Live configs write a few weeks back and it IS TERRIFICALLY HELPFUL - getting right on it upon arriving home after what has been a unexpectedly longer holiday period *-) car snow-driving concerns (need 4 snow-chains) and other un-expected delays.

nice one on the PDF -- really really nice!!
Old 01-13-2016, 11:31 PM   #67
mschnell

You might want to re-download it if you find something missing, as it is a work in progress.

If it still is lacking (or buggy, or hard to understand), please feel free to let me know and I'll try to improve it.

-Michael
Old 01-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #68
tweed

THAT is a great finer point - knowing it's a, 'work in progress' -!-!- *-))
Old 01-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #69
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default projects as patchs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaym View Post
How I have successfully done this (i.e being able to switch instantly between VSTs) is to load a project group using the SWS extensions with one project tab per patch. (I have loaded up to 20 tabs with some fairly large VSTs with samples on a 2G machine. I'm not sure how much memory sharing goes on in this situation but there seems to be some, in that two instances of a VST with a several hundred meg piano patch don't seem to double the memory. I'm still investigating exactly how many patches I can load, but I would think quite a bit more than this, particularly using synths like Dimension Pro which are fairly reasonable in their memory requirements.)

Then I use MIDI-OX/MIDI-YOKE to convert the patch change messages from my master keyboard to MIDI CCs. This is because currently Reaper's MIDI action functionality seems to only work with CCs.

I reserve two patches (00 and 55) as unused on my master keyboard (a Korg X5D) and these are then mapped to the actions for previous and next tab. There doesn't at present seem to be any way of selecting tab (n) by sending a MIDI CC (n) which would obviously be nicer.

However this approach lets me randomly choose patches on the master keyboard without changing the computer-based patch, then if I select either 00 or 55 on the master keyboard, I can select prev/next patch on the computer. Since usually you know the set order, this is manageable if not absolutely perfect.

If your master keyboard has no inbuilt sounds (you're braver than me, for live use), or if you're playing guitar, and therefore using Reaper as a switchable FX chain this way, then you could just assign program change up and down through MIDI-OX/MIDI-YOKE to two arbitrary MIDI CCs and then assign those to previous/next tab, of course, rather than my 00/55 trick, because this suits my master keyboard more. (I'll assume, as a guitarist, you're using some kind of external MIDI controller of some sort to do this, of course).

Reaper is rock-solid in this mode and you can even change active project tabs while playing, there are no glitches. It also works for guitar effect chains; I've tried this too. The advantage of this approach is that each tab is a completely separate set of layered VSTs plus FX chains, and you can assign MIDI channels to each track in the project easily. Then you can save modified versions of the individual projects if you tweak just that patch.

Because all the projects are pre-loaded, you really can switch patches about as quickly as a hardware synth does - there's no load time because the project's already in memory. Also you can then assign some of the knobs on your master keyboard to track and master volumes - this will let you control the overall volume for the patch PLUS any individual layer volumes, and because the learn is per-track, your assignments will make sense across project tabs. This is harder to do with the 'all tracks in one project' scenario.

Another advantage is that if - worst case scenario - Reaper crashes, you can always load just one project at a time, e.g, a generic piano patch or something you can use; time is of the essence in recovery. Whereas the giant project approach is an 'all or nothing' situation since you have to reload the whole project. Also you are using just as much memory, if you load a VST on multiple tracks; you may as well use projects instead, IMHO.
bookmarked - crazy implementation! ya could even create a super paranoid/ocd project-auto-saving mode for ambitious occasions where one might anticipate a fallover/DAW-instability
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #70
tweed

SUPER cool of you to detail! I'm home in less than a week, charged up... and yeah, ALL my studies/tests has me knowing REAPER is easily the only method that I find attractive (sexy*-) -- dependent on knowledge and effort where all others insist "this is the way it must be done' (generally) uhhh, PLUS, oh yeah, we get REAPER as a DAW as well (increased understanding) -- know thy gear -- takes a while whatever direction -- whether rightest way, or, ultimately the wall of forced limitations.

Not exactly a reply though got pepped up scanning your post and had just a minute to express feeling!

THANKS
Old 01-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #71
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringSynthesisingAlch View Post
" .... Then I use MIDI-OX/MIDI-YOKE to convert the patch change messages from my master keyboard to MIDI CCs. This is because currently Reaper's MIDI action functionality seems to only work with CCs. .... "
bookmarked
This can much easier and more versatile been done within Reaper itself. See http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf . (In fact the necessity to use additional tools for acknowledging Program Change messages than just LiveConfigs is not a limitation of Reaper's but just the way LiveConfigs is done.)

(BTW. I never had a crash with the live usage of Reaper.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 01-18-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #72
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweed View Post
THAT is a great finger point - knowing it's a, 'work in progress' -!-!- *-))
I am rather sure that is decently usable, but some details could be elaborated more and/or be worded more clearly.

Thanks for any help on that...
-Michael
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #73
klausbert

So far, I've never get my hand on Live configs since my setup to play live is basically Reaper as a Host triggering differents backing tracks from a same track with several markers, and a second track with Reason 5.

That setup is the most reliable and thin for my old LAtitude D610 with 2GB of RAM. Also, I like the workflow in Reason to build simple setups of split instruments (I have songs that employs 4 or more instruments) in a single preset that I have to change manually in Reason before the start of every song.

I have never managed to do that from my controller, perhaps there is a way, but I don't know if that involves the use of only VSTi's therefore consuming more CPU and possible dropouts.

I would like in the future to enhance the quality of sounds through a better laptop and achieve the same results some people get with the use of Cantabile for example.

That's all folks!

Claudio from Rosario, Argentina.
klausbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #74
mschnell

I am rather sure that this is doable with a pure Reaper setup, even though I did not try (or need) the "triggering differents backing tracks", which has been discussed in this form.

-Michael
Old 07-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #75
tweed

WOW @mschnell

just found your V3 of the additional Live-Configs
That's Ed. 3 March 2015
i missed this before.

FABULOUS! and so greatly appreciated.
I'll continue to check for more tips, here and there in the future.

yes, WOW - helpful !!!