Old 11-30-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Notion works in Linux

I decided to see if Notion, which is a notation editor like Finale, Dorico etc, would work on Linux. It does, which means I no longer have to go back and forth from Linux to Windows to deal with changes I make to a projects. I'm using the latest Wine Staging, just updated today, on Mint 21. It installed with wine windows loader with no problem. I put in the product key with my email to authorize, and although that appeared not to work, I can in fact open a project, make changes, and save it, so apparently I'm good to go. Amazing.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
krahosk

Amazing. Will try it out.
Have you tried if VST instruments work as well?
Thank you for reporting this.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #3
michael diemer

I haven't tried vsti yet. When it opens, I get a message saying that the Aria player failed to load. I'll try to fix that at some point. Right now I'm just glad I can update my scores after I revise a project in Reaper, without having to shut down and open up Windows 7.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
michael diemer

Well, today when I open it the authorization screen pops up again. Looking back, I don't think I dud succeed in authorizing yesterday, I think I hit demo mode after a few tries. but that seems to be the only glitch. I'm on the Presonus forum, so I'll see if they can help.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #5
krahosk

I'm still surprised that Notion is still at version 6 after more than 6 years.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #6
michael diemer

I'm still using version 5. I tried to submit a support to ticket to Presonus, but the little circle just kept spinning. I gave up after 20 minutes or so. So the ticket never went through.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #7
michael diemer

Mystery is solved. My ticket did go through. The response: 'Notion 5 is no longer supported. Please upgrade to notion 6'. IOW, you are not allowed to continue using the product which you actually own. you have to pay us more money.

I told them I'd be using Musecore from now on, and they just lost a customer. What crappy customer service. Thank God Notion is the only product I bought from them.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:49 AM   #8
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Mystery is solved. My ticket did go through. The response: 'Notion 5 is no longer supported. Please upgrade to notion 6'. IOW, you are not allowed to continue using the product which you actually own. you have to pay us more money.

I told them I'd be using Musecore from now on, and they just lost a customer. What crappy customer service. Thank God Notion is the only product I bought from them.
I think they inadvertently did you a favour.

I'm sure you'll find Musescore 3 to be an excellent replacement. I've never used Notion but switched to Musescore from Sibelius several years ago and have used it to produce everything from Lead sheets to Big Band scores ever since and I can say that for me it's been more than up to the task (not to mention its' obvious advantages of being both cross-platform and open-source).
Xasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:25 AM   #9
chmaha

Quote:

You are trying to use Notion via wine-staging and so there is every chance that authorization could be problematic. If you tried it on real Windows I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem at all. The company is well within their rights to stop supporting old software but that doesn't mean it suddenly stops working. Do they know you are attempting to use this on an operating system they don't support from the get-go? Another example: iZotope authorization doesn't work via wine but given they don't actually support Linux, it's a case of shrug the shoulders and move on. I do understand your frustration but I'd hardly call it "crappy customer service" if things don't work as expected outside of the platforms companies cater for. I still have to pinch myself that so many apps and plugins do work thanks to the WINE devs and Robbert VdH's yabridge.

That said, I agree with Xasman that Musescore 3 (and soon to be 4) is truly excellent and at the top of the pile IMHO for notation duties these days. And, as I've always advised, the aim, in general, is to move to native apps and plugins as wine could break things at the drop of a hat (see wine-staging 7.21+)...

Last edited by chmaha; 12-02-2022 at 03:30 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:51 AM   #10
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethHarmon View Post
You are trying to use Notion via wine-staging and so there is every chance that authorization could be problematic. If you tried it on real Windows I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem at all. The company is well within their rights to stop supporting old software but that doesn't mean it suddenly stops working. Do they know you are attempting to use this on an operating system they don't support from the get-go? Another example: iZotope authorization doesn't work via wine but given they don't actually support Linux, it's a case of shrug the shoulders and move on. I do understand your frustration but I'd hardly call it "crappy customer service" if things don't work as expected outside of the platforms companies cater for. I still have to pinch myself that so many apps and plugins do work thanks to the WINE devs and Robbert VdH's yabridge.

That said, I agree with Xasman that Musescore 3 (and soon to be 4) is truly excellent and at the top of the pile IMHO for notation duties these days. And, as I've always advised, the aim, in general, is to move to native apps and plugins as wine could break things at the drop of a hat (see wine-staging 7.21+)...
Of course I know that Notion is not supported for Linux. And I do have it authorized on Windows. I gather from what they told me that they will not authorize Notion 5 anymore, period. So if you already have it working, you're fine. But if you need to reinstall windows, for example, and get notion 5 reauthorized, they will not take the paltry amount of time and trouble it takes to allow that. Sorry, but that's crappy customer service in my book.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:13 AM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Of course I know that Notion is not supported for Linux. And I do have it authorized on Windows. I gather from what they told me that they will not authorize Notion 5 anymore, period. So if you already have it working, you're fine. But if you need to reinstall windows, for example, and get notion 5 reauthorized, they will not take the paltry amount of time and trouble it takes to allow that. Sorry, but that's crappy customer service in my book.
From what I read of your experience, it sounds like it tried to authorize over the internet and failed. That makes me suspect that had it been running on the OS it was written for, that it would have succeeded.

As a software creator in another incarnation, it is general practice to allow users who purchased valid licenses to run the software (which doesn't make you own it) to continue activating it as necessary (new computer or disk crash), but to provide zero support troubleshooting the installing or running of it, unless it is the current version being sold.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:29 PM   #12
chmaha

Quote:
But if you need to reinstall windows, for example, and get notion 5 reauthorized, they will not take the paltry amount of time and trouble it takes to allow that. Sorry, but that's crappy customer service in my book.
As Glennbo states, I think you misunderstand their policy. It would be highly unlikely not to be able to reactivate on an OS they support (unless it has limited activations at which point you can often deactivate on a system you no longer own etc). Having used Studio One by the same developer, I know that their activation policy is quite generous: 5 seats with ability to remove activations...
Old 12-02-2022, 01:04 PM   #13
michael diemer

It's all moot at this point, as I will not be using it anymore. I'm going to import my Notion scores into Musecore. It works on Linux natively, and from what I hear is as good or better than most others. I have had it up and running, just to look at it, but have not actually used it yet. Problem solved.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #14
Glennbo

Native Linux is always better when possible.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:10 PM   #15
michael diemer

Well, give credit where it is due: The kind folks at Presonus gave me an early Christmas present. they upgraded me to notion 6, free of charge. and I was able to authorize it in Linux. In fact, Linux is the only system I can use it in, since on windows you have to have windows 10 or better. I just configured wine for windows 10, and it installed and authorized no problem.

I had tried to use Musescore, but was having all kinds of problems. I couldn't import a music.xml file, for example. Also, the only version I could install and open on Mint is version 2. So I was heartened to see the emails from Presonus. And now the problem really is solved. I just need to figure out how to thank them, their emails are all "no-reply."

Bottom line: you can use Notion on Linux, but it has to be Notion 6.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:58 PM   #16
Xasman

Quote:
I had tried to use Musescore, but was having all kinds of problems. I couldn't import a music.xml file, for example. Also, the only version I could install and open on Mint is version 2.
Did you try downloading and installing the AppImage of Musescore 3 from here? I'm on Manjaro now and the normal repo version is the latest, but the AppImage version worked fine on my old Ubuntu system (sadly the Ubuntu repos, which Mint also uses, are often woefully behind). Importing .musicxml files works fine here.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #17
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Did you try downloading and installing the AppImage of Musescore 3 from here? I'm on Manjaro now and the normal repo version is the latest, but the AppImage version worked fine on my old Ubuntu system (sadly the Ubuntu repos, which Mint also uses, are often woefully behind). Importing .musicxml files works fine here.
Yes, I did try the app image. It would not open. I made it executable, but it just froze every time. I see that this seems to be a common problem.

As for Musescore 2 not being able to open an xml file, I got an error message that the file was corrupted.

Anyway, too much bother. now that I have notion 6 working I'm set. I would of course prefer native Linux, but I don't have a problem using Windows programs with Wine. Whatever works. I definitely love Linux, and would prefer to be totally done with Windows, but at this point in time - which for me is running out, at least in this world - I'm happy to do what works.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:21 AM   #18
Xasman

Hi Michael,

I understand you have Notion working now, but honestly I'd recommend taking a little more time to get native Musescore working properly - as Beth said earlier, and in my opinion quite rightly, a native solution is generally much less risky than something which relies on Wine. It may work today but there's no guarantee it will still be working tomorrow - it could break at any time.

I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with MuseScore but one possibility is that you may have one or more missing libraries. Try navigating to your MuseScore install directory (to find where that is, in the terminal, type either "which musescore" or "whereis musescore" without the quotes), then cd to that directory and type ldd musescore.

Last edited by Xasman; 12-03-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #19
michael diemer

Quote:
Hi Michael,

I understand you have Notion working now, but honestly I'd recommend taking a little more time to get native Musescore working properly - as Beth said earlier, and in my opinion quite rightly, a native solution is generally much less risky than something which relies on Wine. It may work today but there's no guarantee it will still be working tomorrow - it could break at any time.

I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with MuseScore but one possibility is that you may have one or more missing libraries. Try navigating to your MuseScore install directory (to find where that is, in the terminal, type either "which musescore" or "whereis musescore" without the quotes), then cd to that directory and type ldd musescore.
Everything has been incredibly stable on Wine-staging and Mint 21. I think that Notion would be the least likely thing to break. My problems would be with Kontakt, but even that works like it does on Windows.

Also, I feel indebted now to Presonus. They didn't have to upgrade me for free. They could have written me off as some disgruntled old so and so, but they handled my less than cordial complaint with class. I have thanked them, and told them I will upgrade to Notion 7 when it comes out.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate your help. Like I said earlier, with the future not being what it used to be, (to again quote yogi Berra), I don't want to waste time troubleshooting things that aren't working, when I could be making music.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:18 PM   #20
Xasman

Quote:
...Nevertheless, I do appreciate your help. Like I said earlier, with the future not being what it used to be, (to again quote yogi Berra), I don't want to waste time troubleshooting things that aren't working, when I could be making music.
Understood. And, as the doctor said to the patient complaining about no longer being able to pronounce the letters f, t and h; "Well, you can't say fairer than that!"

Last edited by Xasman; 12-03-2022 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #21
michael diemer

Quote:
Understood. And, as the doctor said to the patient complaining about no longer being able to pronounce the letters f, t and h; "Well, you can't say fairer than that!"
Hmm, I'll have to ponder that one. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today, didn't sleep well last night...
Old 12-04-2022, 09:39 PM   #22
michael diemer

I thought I better report on this, in case others are thinking about trying it. At this point I don't have all functionality with Notion 6. Everything looks fine, inserting notes works, you can scroll etc. but when I hit Play, it doesn't move. Also, I haven't figured out yet how to get sound. I would like to use on-board sound, so as not to interfere with Reaper's using of Alsa.

Notion 5 did play when asked to, but there I couldn't authorize it. I could live with these issues, as I only want it as a notation program, and technically don't need sound. but it does help with proof-reading. you can hear wrong notes much easier than you can see them.

Edit: I just discovered that I have to download Notion's Bundled sounds. I'll try it and see if that solves it.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #23
krahosk

Quote:
Yes, I did try the app image. It would not open. I made it executable, but it just froze every time. I see that this seems to be a common problem.

As for Musescore 2 not being able to open an xml file, I got an error message that the file was corrupted.
I got the same problem when I export an XML or or MXL file in Reaper and import it in MuseScore. It seems to be working on my end now (using Endeavour OS).
Old 12-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #24
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
I got the same problem when I export an XML or or MXL file in Reaper and import it in MuseScore. It seems to be working on my end now (using Endeavour OS).
The xml file I tried was from Notion (Windows). The reason I would like to stay with notion is that (1) I have several scores already done, which I will need to revise, and (2) I already know how to use it.

I'm sure I'll give Musescore another try at some point, it would be better in the long run.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #25
krahosk

Quote:
The xml file I tried was from Notion (Windows). The reason I would like to stay with notion is that (1) I have several scores already done, which I will need to revise, and (2) I already know how to use it.

I'm sure I'll give Musescore another try at some point, it would be better in the long run.
I got some weird stuff too when importing XML from Notion into Musescore when I was with Windows.
In my opnion, the interface and workflow of Notion VS Musescore was much better. However, Tantacrul's serious revision of Musescore's interface makes it much more user friendly.
Since I consider Notion abandonware and want a native Linux solution, I adopted Musescore, though there is indeed a learning curve.
The caveat is that it doesn't support VSTi with extensively programmable expression maps.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:45 AM   #26
michael diemer

Quote:
I got some weird stuff too when importing XML from Notion into Musescore when I was with Windows.
In my opnion, the interface and workflow of Notion VS Musescore was much better. However, Tantacrul's serious revision of Musescore's interface makes it much more user friendly.
Since I consider Notion abandonware and want a native Linux solution, I adopted Musescore, though there is indeed a learning curve.
The caveat is that it doesn't support VSTi with extensively programmable expression maps.
I still have not been able to import a score from Notion into Musescore. I thought perhaps the one I tried was an anomaly, so I tried another. Same error message. I do have Musescore 3 running. I found it in Mint's software store, I either missed it before or they just added it.

I'm going to install Notion 6 on Windows, and then do an xml export, and see if that will do it. Musescore does have the xml-to-pdf converter, so that may be an option, although it involves opening an account, and trusting your score to the cloud.

Another option is installing Windows 7 as a virtual system on Mint, and just running Notion on that. But that is a lot of work, and who knows if there would be sound.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #27
michael diemer

I forgot, I can't install notion 6 on Windows,since it's Windows 7 and you need 10 or 11. I still can't get sound, and it still won't play.

So, I decided to try Musescore 3 with a midi file of my current project. I just saved it as midi 1 file, and it opened fine in MS. 3. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and start over, doing new scores in MS. 3 for all my projects. They are all orchestral, which is why I was hoping to use notion on Linux, so I don't have to start over. but I guess I will, unless I go back to using notion 5 on Windows 7. I'm not afraid of the learning curve, I pick this stuff pretty quick at this point, with over 20 years of working with this kind of software. It will just take time. Oh well, it gives me something to do. Retirement can be very boring...
Old 12-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #28
Glennbo

Quote:
Retirement can be very boring...
Not if you have a BIG imagination!
Old 12-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #29
krahosk

Quote:
I forgot, I can't install notion 6 on Windows,since it's Windows 7 and you need 10 or 11. I still can't get sound, and it still won't play.

So, I decided to try Musescore 3 with a midi file of my current project. I just saved it as midi 1 file, and it opened fine in MS. 3. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and start over, doing new scores in MS. 3 for all my projects. They are all orchestral, which is why I was hoping to use notion on Linux, so I don't have to start over. but I guess I will, unless I go back to using notion 5 on Windows 7. I'm not afraid of the learning curve, I pick this stuff pretty quick at this point, with over 20 years of working with this kind of software. It will just take time. Oh well, it gives me something to do. Retirement can be very boring...
That's what I did too with Notion to Reaper or Notion to Musecore: instead of transfering the problematic XML file, I transfered the MIDI file with all the notation extra work it entails.
I do all the notation that's possible on Reaper now and do the rest for publishing on Musescore.
Old 12-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #30
michael diemer

Quote:
That's what I did too with Notion to Reaper or Notion to Musecore: instead of transfering the problematic XML file, I transfered the MIDI file with all the notation extra work it entails.
I do all the notation that's possible on Reaper now and do the rest for publishing on Musescore.
This may be the best option. What I did in Windows, was to first make what I called a Print Version of the piece, where I condensed down the instruments, so flutes, for example, were just one staff, vs. 3 (reflecting the fact that I used flutes from different libraries). Also, I would treat the trills as if they were just one note, so that in Notion I would just have to add a trill sign above it. In a DAW, a trill can be many notes, like 12 or more, with very small note value of course. This creates quite a mess in notation software. Yes, some libraries have actual trill patches, but often it sounds better if you do it the other way.

The problem with using Notion on Linux is that you can no longer authorize Notion 5. With Notion 6, you can install and authorize on Linux, but then you have to figure out how to get sound and make it move when you hit play. This may be doable, but so far it's eluded me. There is one way I could conceivably get Notion 5 working, by cloning my windows drive into a virtual system. however, the drive is 1 TB, and I'm currently on a 250 SSD on Mint. I will be upgrading that to 500 GB, but event then I would need to shrink my windows drive down to make it work. And I need a full 1 TB on Windows in order to download large libraries from NI. For example, I bought Cinesamples Core recently. but I haven't yet downloaded the 100 GB percussion library. I kept getting errors that I needed more space on C (I was dual-booting it with Linux so C was around 600 GB). So, as you can see, using Notion on Linux is not exactly a picnic, and Musescore makes more sense.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:50 PM   #31
michael diemer

Just to update: I now have both Notion and MuseScore up and running. I can export my Notion scores as XML, and import them into MuseScore (although it gives me an error message; however it does open it and it looks identical to the Notion score). In Musescore I have sound and playability, but in notion I do not. Still, having both is convenient, as I can compare the two, use Notion as a backup or repository; and in fact edit the Notion scores as needed. This means that, once I get all my Notion scores into Musescore, I should not have any need to go back on Windows.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #32
krahosk

Quote:
Just to update: I now have both Notion and MuseScore up and running. I can export my Notion scores as XML, and import them into MuseScore (although it gives me an error message; however it does open it and it looks identical to the Notion score). In Musescore I have sound and playability, but in notion I do not. Still, having both is convenient, as I can compare the two, use Notion as a backup or repository; and in fact edit the Notion scores as needed. This means that, once I get all my Notion scores into Musescore, I should not have any need to go back on Windows.
That is good news. Happy to learn to things are working out for you. Most of all, goodbye microsoft. :-)