Old 04-24-2021, 01:02 PM   #1
reznikdesign
Human being with feelings

Default Reaplugs GUI Concept

Hi everyone. I made a GUI concept for some of the Reaper's native plugins — https://www.behance.net/gallery/1017...ins-concept%29.

I'm sharing the figma source file (free to copy/modify). You can explore it and maybe use as a library for your own projects: https://www.figma.com/community/file...lugs-(vst-GUI)

I'm open to any feedback and comments. Also if you're working on a theme, extension or a plugin and you need a designer's sight, feel free to drop me a message.

Last edited by reznikdesign; 05-03-2021 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Fixed failed links
reznikdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:18 PM   #2
dagamusik

This is simple, elegant and amazing!
dagamusik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
marcelofernandezmusic

Love it!!
marcelofernandezmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
denmla

I bet they would immediatelly sound better to many
denmla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
richie43

To the OP:

Have you implemented these with the plugins?
Are you planning to?
Old 04-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #6
Pink Wool

The Reaplugins are unfortunately not skinnable/themable so the only people who could make those chances are the devs.

But JS plugins are skinnable! Wish someone would make some more modern (flat) GUI work for them (hint to the OP!)!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35359

Last edited by Pink Wool; 04-24-2021 at 09:54 PM.
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #7
daniellumertz

Hey nice work, I wouldn't mind a remake of the GUI native Plugs (if it don't consume much CPU, I really like Cockos is really light in CPU)
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #8
cool

cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:31 AM   #9
reznikdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
To the OP:

Have you implemented these with the plugins?
Are you planning to?
Nope, I'm not a developer
Old 04-25-2021, 01:00 AM   #10
X-Raym

This is definitely some high level design skills !

lookd good and ergonomic.

inspiring !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:56 AM   #11
Ivannn Bennnettt

Awesome!

It must be on the Reaper!

Молодец Жека!
Ivannn Bennnettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:39 AM   #12
mpl

That looks pretty cool. Both from design and ergonomic point of view.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #13
MrHaroldA

Please make some mock-ups for REAPER's own GUI too! I never understood the routing dialog for example.
MrHaroldA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:11 AM   #14
Arno Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaroldA View Post
Please make some mock-ups for REAPER's own GUI too! I never understood the routing dialog for example.
if you do not understand the routing dialogue in Reaper, how amazing that you have been able to write a comment in this forum ! ;-)
Arno Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:14 AM   #15
Arno Jordan

[QUOTE=reznikdesign;2436165]Hi everyone. I made a GUI concept for some of the Reaper's native plugins — https://www.behance.net/gallery/1017...ins-concept%29.

this is a great concept !
Arno Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #16
Kabraxis

I'm sure more people would be willing to use Native plugins if they just looked like that. Current UIs feels like they are there just for the functionality.
Kabraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:22 AM   #17
Pink Wool

I think there just about enough information out there to make this into reality (on JS plugins, that is)!

I've done one as a test, JS Tremolo, based or Argee's work. But since I don't know enough how the GUI stuff works, I've just replaced the png's. But if someone knows how the code works...

Old 04-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #18
reznikdesign

Thanks (и спасибо) for the kind words everyone!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
infectdsniper

just popping in to show support! this should happen. if reaper looked as good as other daws it would get taken so much more seriously. to me it is the absolute best daw so i would love to see it get the recognition it deserves.

The designs look great and are so simple that they shouldnt tax the file size or performance much if at all. seems like a no brainer.
infectdsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #20
Fergler

Reaper could also benefit from a default UI library for JS plugins for developers to use. I know some user made ones exist, but one built in to Reaper that updates, matches uses theme images, etc.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #21
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Reaper could also benefit from a default UI library for JS plugins for developers to use. I know some user made ones exist, but one built in to Reaper that updates, matches uses theme images, etc.
This would be so great. Specially if it came with a feature that allows designers to supply custom UI libraries in a certain format (which should be documented somewhere) and Reaper can import those libraries and adapt the plugins automatically.

Creating GUIs for jsfx is just a too complicated task, I have dipped my feet into creating jsfx and I was more successful than expected by reverse engineering other people's code, however while I was very eager to create and use GUIs too, the implementation difficulty just overwhelmed me, so such presets would be very nice.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #22
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabraxis View Post
I'm sure more people would be willing to use Native plugins if they just looked like that. Current UIs feels like they are there just for the functionality.
Um..they are there for the functionality.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #23
swiiscompos

Quote:
Um..they are there for the functionality.
But GUIs like the ones in this thread improve greatly the functionality.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #24
JRTaylorMusic

Beautiful!! And I feel like I could operate properly without even reading the knobs. Have you created a Reaper theme? I’d love to see these knobs all over my Reaper.
JRTaylorMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #25
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiiscompos View Post
But GUIs like the ones in this thread improve greatly the functionality.
They may improve the eye-candy aspects, but how would new skins improve functionality? The skins don't offer any functions that are not already there. It's like changing colors on your car...The engine won't act any differently.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #26
reznikdesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
Beautiful!! And I feel like I could operate properly without even reading the knobs. Have you created a Reaper theme? I’d love to see these knobs all over my Reaper.
Thanks! No plans for theme yet. Well, no time actually.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #27
reznikdesign

Quote:
They may improve the eye-candy aspects, but how would new skins improve functionality? The skins don't offer any functions that are not already there. It's like changing colors on your car...The engine won't act any differently.
Well, yes, but to drive a car you gotta have a proper wheel and a dashboard + bunch of other stuff on "user's" side. No matter what engine the car has.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #28
Mcgiver69

Quote:
I wouldn't say functionality but operability. That's why UX is one of the most important concepts in software development in recent years.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznikdesign View Post
Well, yes, but to drive a car you gotta have a proper wheel and a dashboard + bunch of other stuff on "user's" side. No matter what engine the car has.
We can just disagree in a friendly way. I prefer the current gui for Reaper fx. I like that they encourage me to keep mixing with my ears. The new skins would not make anything easier, quicker, or better for my workflow.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #30
Phazma

Quote:
We can just disagree in a friendly way. I prefer the current gui for Reaper fx. I like that they encourage me to keep mixing with my ears. The new skins would not make anything easier, quicker, or better for my workflow.
Totally disagree. The way they are currently laid out they force me to mix with my eyes (many jsfx more so than reaplugs) because all controls look equal and narrowly spaced so I always have to read and sesech dor the control that I want to tweak. With Eugene Reznik’s layout I see in a fraction of a second which knob corresponds to which parameter and I can tweak while focusing on the sound, instead of having to search, read and think.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #31
richie43

Like I said, we can disagree in a friendly way.
I don't expect Cockos to take this on because it's one of the ways Reaper stays affordable, customizable, and versatile. There are plenty of other plugins (and free!) that will do and look the ways that you want and need.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #32
nofish

Quote:
But changing GUI (layout) can improve ergonomy.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223189
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #33
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
But changing GUI (layout) can improve ergonomy.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223189
It can, but not for everyone. There are so many plugins to choose from these days, even free plugins that have the look you all like in these. That's exactly why I would not expect Cockos to do anything about it. That way everyone has what they want/need and the price stays unheard of low. Win-Win!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:26 PM   #34
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
It can, but not for everyone. There are so many plugins to choose from these days, even free plugins that have the look you all like in these. That's exactly why I would not expect Cockos to do anything about it. That way everyone has what they want/need and the price stays unheard of low. Win-Win!
But having some aspects being themable would be very helpful. There are tons of JSFX, whose GUI is so terrible, that you don't know, what it does and how to use it.
And those, who know how to design, don't know how to code it and (usually) those who know how to code, don't know how to design it.
So JSFX at least would benefit greatly from that, so UX-designers and coders could work together doing really good stuff.

It's not about eye-candy, but actually about easy readability of states or even easy understanding of what the heck is this supposed to do.

I also don't think the devs will attempt it, as their priorities will probably be away from it for some time(I guess rewriting the gui stuff for JSFX or Reaper's native plugins is simply a lot of work) but still, better ux would benefit many, maybe all.

I mean, it's not that the OP designed stuff just the sake of looking nice, but it's a lot more clearer, has better contrasts and this can help when working with that stuff for hours to ease the eyes.
Even subtle changes can prevent eye-fatigue, when done right(or cause it, when done wrong).

If you like the current designs, it's totally ok as they do their job without a problem.
But please differentiate between "nice looking/eye candy" versus "properly designed for better readability". Especially users with sight-losses benefit from it by magnitudes, if done right.

(Having said that, a theoretical new JSFX-gui-library needs accessibility-features too, so checkboxes don't need to be translated into sliders in the non-ui-view, as they are checkboxes not sliders.)

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #35
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Here : why plugins UI remains so "old"? is where we discussed this last month. Please read my responses there.

Last edited by White Tie; 04-27-2021 at 01:15 PM.
White Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:45 PM   #36
EvilDragon

I don't buy the argument that it's "too complex" to support themability in ReaPlugs. Justin and schwa have both done far more complicated things and we all know it. They just don't seem to care about ergonomics at all, sadly.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #37
Zeno

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but I think a well-designed UI benefits every user, not just some. And from experience with past discussions of a similar nature, I can say that the users who are most opposed to a specific change are usually the ones who are most happy about that change after it has been implemented. What a surprise... Whether a hypothetical future design will be equally pleasing to every user from an aesthetic point of view remains to be seen, but from an ergonomic point of view it is indisputable. This applies not only to the distances that have to be covered with the mouse, which of course differ slightly depending on the user and the initial situation, but also to the amount of work that the user's brain has to do just to decipher the UI. So it is by no means a pure question of aesthetics, but a question of cognitive psychology.

But there are other numerous aspects where ReaPlugins need to catch up. For example, the number of parameters that can be automated. Anyone who has ever tried to mix a session with ReaPlugins on a controller knows what I'm talking about. There are even missing basic functional parameters, like "enable band" or a trigger to organize the bands in ReaEQ. Or there are problems because one automatable parameter controls several plugin parameters at once, like "CompatOp" in ReaComp.... These are aspects that make it virtually impossible to mix on a controller.

If you ask me, the day when cockos developers will address all these issues will come at some point. Probably the priorities are just elsewhere at the moment. But at some point they have to act. I mean, look at that, not even the biggest opportunist could work with it unhindered since the devs have broken the UI months ago:

Apart from the ReaPlugins....

We have some very capable coders here on the forum. What is stopping Eugene Reznik from teaming up with these coders to create the UIs for JSFX and offer the results to the Cockos Dev team or otherwise create a ReaPack repository?

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers
Zeno

Last edited by Zeno; 04-26-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Zeno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #38
Pink Wool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
We have some very capable coders here on the forum. What is stopping Eugene Reznik from teaming up with these coders to create the UIs for JSFX and offer the results to the Cockos Dev team or otherwise create a ReaPack repository?
I think this would be the best strategy. In the thread where Argee posted his GUI work for JSFX, Justin chimed in and had this to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
So awesome!

We're actually planning on making a 'REAPER extra content pack' that is free to download, which would include a bunch of (CC licensed) demo songs, reusable samples, impulses, and perhaps plugins like these...
So I think if the work would be done for them, they'd be more open on putting the GUI'd versions out through official channels (as an option at best).
Old 04-27-2021, 12:12 AM   #39
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I don't buy the argument that it's "too complex" to support themability in ReaPlugs.
No one's making that argument. You're saying you don't buy an argument that you yourself just invented simply to support a mean spirited conclusion. Which is precisely the kind of reason these threads never go anywhere.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:22 AM   #40
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Apart from the ReaPlugins....
Wow that would be so great, please Eugene and Coders make it happen and please Cockos add the properly skinned plugins to REAPER (optionally)