Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #41
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

OK, here it is. The long awaited moment!!

Did it go bang?!!

(Click any of the images below for high resolution versions)

The first thing was to fit a new mains cord to replace the one that had been chopped off by somebody previously. Everything in the rack this amp was initially installed in had the mains cords cut.

Next up, I plugged it into my dummy load and switched it on with all globes switched in circuit for a total maximum current limit of just under 2.2 amps. The lamps lit briefly and settled quickly as the power supply filter capacitors charged up. No sparks and no smoke! So far, so good.

I then set my multimeter to DC volts and checked the speaker outputs for DC offsets.
Channel two was first because the multimeter was closest to it. The result was a nice 0.02 volts (20 millivolts) which was quite acceptable.
On to channel one... -80 VOLTS!! Not good! That was a sure sign that the output transistors had failed so I removed power, waited for the supply caps to discharge and pulled the output transistor covers off and removed one...

A dead short between collector, base and emitter, just as I expected. I proceeded to remove all six transistors and only one had survived. This meant at the time of failure, the full DC supply of 160 volts saw a dead short through the output transistors. This would've been a nasty failure when it occurred!

The next step was to remove the heatsink with the PCB attached and have a look for collateral damage. Given this is a beefy direct coupled amplifier, I expected to see the driver transistors taken out and possibly some of the other small signal and biasing stages. My expectations proved justified by what I saw....

Nothing short of a charcoaled mess!! The driver transistors had no chance coping with the full 160 volts DC of the supply rails and they split open, spewing their smoke and debris in their immediate vicinity. The smoke got out in spectacular fashion!
The 0.47 ohm emitter resistors for the main output transistors were open circuit on the positive rail side which explains the -80 volts on the speaker output for that channel.
Various small signal and biasing transistors were also history as I expected.

Here's a closeup of some of the damage..

OK, so at this point, I realised that to get this channel up and running would be a considerable cost and involve a fair amount of time. I put the heatsink assembly back together and replaced the output transistor covers with the transistors removed. Time to move on to the other channel and see if it passed a signal.

I fired up my Audio Precision analyser/generator and my oscilloscope, connected a speaker via a 1K ohm resistor (to save the speaker from destruction if anything went pear shaped) and fed a 1KHz sine wave into the good channel. As I wound up the input level, I was greeted by a clean sounding tone and an equally clean looking sine wave on the CRO. I then proceeded to remove the 1K resistor and connect a source of music to the input at which point I was greeted with a clean signal. All good.

Time for some tests. I connected the signal gen again and tested for crossover distortion at low level. No sign of any such distortion was present right down to the noise floor which is a sign that the bias is in check.
I then wound up the output to test for clipping. As can be seen below, everything was good right up to crazy output levels. For those of you familiar with ohms law, have a look at the RMS measurement on my multimeter in this shot. For everyone else, this is a little over 320 watts continuous RMS into four ohms (the load my subwoofers will present to this amp). This amp will do that all day without a problem.

Next up I tried the same test with a square wave at 1KHz. This image shows a very clean square wave with no signs of rounding, overshoot, sagging or ringing. Keep in mind the multimeter voltage reading here. That is the equivalent of 625 watts into four ohms (or just over 310 watts into eight ohms)! I wasn't game to do this test into a four ohm load. A square wave test like this is a SEVERE stress for any amplifier and I didn't want to destroy the working channel!

A little tip here. A good dummy load for testing high powered amplifiers is a section of a toaster element. They are designed to get hot and glow red!

Some of you may have noticed that the meters on both channels are working here. That is because I connected the dead channel's meter to the good channel purely for cosmetic purposes.

At this point I had decided that the dead channel isn't worth the time and money to fix given that I only need one channel for my subwoofers. The output capability of a single channel of this amplifier is more than adequate for my recording studio. This means that I'll be running both sub boxes (2 x 10" drivers per box) in parallel, presenting a four ohm load to the amp. The meters are calibrated to display output power into eight ohms so I recalibrated them to read RMS power into four ohms via trimpots on the meter PCB.

As I was calibrating the right meter, it started randomly jumping about and showing inconsistent levels even though I was calibrating with a fixed 1KHz tone. Some prodding around on the meter PCB revealed a mechanical fault and I suspected dry solder joints so I removed the PCB and sure enough, there were dry joints under the meter driver module.

Here's a shot of the board removed prior to resoldering (I couldn't remove it totally without disconnecting all the wires but what you see here gave me plenty of access to the dry joints)...

I ended up resoldering the entire board for good measure (it isn't a large PCB and didn't take long). Upon refitting it and powering up the amp again, all was good so I continued with the four ohm meter calibration.

The meters are lit up with mini 12 volt incandescent bulbs, four per meter and one of them had failed on the left meter so I decided to do a little mod here and fit high brightness LEDs in their place. I had some white ones in my parts drawers and it turns out that they are FAR brighter running at their recommended 20 milliamps than the bulbs so I decided to fit two of them per channel.

The bulbs were powered by 10 volts AC so I needed to build a rectifier/filter circuit to run the LEDs from this supply. The existing PCB had plenty of room for incorporating such a circuit with a little creative track cutting with a Stanley knife.

Here's a shot of the modded PCB with the full wave bridge rectifier diodes, filter capacitor, series dropping resistors and LEDs...

To test the mods, I clipped the bulb AC supply to the modded PCB with a couple of clip leads. All good....

Given that the meters were originally lit with four bulbs each and I was replacing them with two LEDs each, it was necessary to fit some kind of light diffusion to the top of the meters to even out the light. I made two diffusion strips from a couple of strips of white cardboard which I soaked in candle wax to make them slightly more transparent. The ends were attached to the meter with a couple of dabs of hot glue...

...and with the lamp PCB back in place...

and finally, here's a couple of shots of the amp in its place with my RX-V1800 and the subwoofers.
I'm sitting right in front of this as I type, listening to Jean Michel Jarre in 5.1 with a big grin on my face!!!

Old 04-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #42
clepsydrae

Beautiful!
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #43
JHughes
Banned

Good job Dave. Spectacular failure is right! I can even smell it from here.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #44
alanofoz

Great rescue, fantastic story.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #45
4x4uk

nice to see it resurrected and back in service good job
4x4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:13 PM   #46
cyrano

Nice to see that beast working again. Should do nicely to drive your subs.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #47
ivansc

Great photo montage too, Dave!

Brought back sights sounds and smells of MY amp repair days way back when.

Nice job, by the way.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #48
beginwhereur

A great story with an attention-grabbing beginning, a compelling protagonist, excellent visual effects, a few unexpected plot twists, and a happy ending!

Congratulations Dave on work well-done! Thanks to you and everyone else who contributed here--I learned a few things and had fun doing it.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #49
pipelineaudio
Mortal

This thread is a serious case study in studio tech work
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #50
Sambo Rouge

Great work ReaDave!!

Only one thing better than this ---- coming across a barn-find classic car and getting it back on the road. (Not counting sex of course)

Well done mate.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #51
Dannii

Glad you guys enjoyed following the progress of this project. I'll post some finished photos of the new studio space once it is all done. It is operational now but I still have plenty of treatment and cosmetic work to do.

I have a new restoration project on the bench now too. This one is somewhat more vintage than the Yamaha amp. It is my grandfather's AWA Radiola valve radio. Dad received this radio when my grandfather passed on and he brought it with him during their (mum and dad) recent visit interstate to see me.
I did some poking around on the internet and found all the original service information and schematics for it so I'm hoping I can source replacements for the valves (tubes if you are in USA).

Anyway, stay tuned (pun intended) for a new thread on this restoration project. For the time being, here's a quick snap of the radio on my workbench....

Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #52
ivansc

Dave - let me know if you get really stuck, my kid brother is big on radio valves.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #53
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Dave - let me know if you get really stuck, my kid brother is big on radio valves.
Thanks heaps for this. I'll take you up on this if I have trouble sourcing new valves. I'd be interested in your bro's opinion on various valve brands too.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #54
Dannii

Just a quick update on the Radiola valve radio restoration. I'll be making a dedicated thread about this soon but just wanted to post that I have it up and running.

There's more work to do on it which I'll cover in the new topic but here's a short video of it running with my new DDS transmitter I built. I am feeding the transmitter from an AM broadcast processing project I set up in REAPER. It is running here on the shortwave band at 19.1MHz.

Here's the video.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A81ArVyGR30
Old 05-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #55
Dannii

Time for another update on the P2200. After running flawlessly prettt much every day since the restoration, it looks like this story hasn't finished yet.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been noticing random, intermittent noise in my subs which has gradually been getting worse. With the input to the P2200 disconnected and the level control turned down, the noise still occurs so there's clearly a fault in the amp itself.

I was hoping it was just a dry solder joint so I took it out of the rack last night, put it on my workbench, took it apart and resoldered the entire amp PCB on the good channel. There were a few suspect looking joints but upon putting it back together and powering it up, the intermittent noise continued.

Before resoldering the PCB, I checked the bias adjustment pot to see if it had become noisy but a small adjustment either way didn't produce any noise so I set it back to where it was.

At this stage, I'm suspecting a faulty small signal transistor (possibly in the bias circuit).
I connected my Tek 7603 digital storage scope to the output and captured some of the noise and it turns out to be quite a nasty intermittent positive DC offset of up to 15 volts for a few milliseconds at a time. That actually equates to quite a few watts of noise!!

I have another amp here that I'll be using to run the subs while I work on the Yammy and I might even take the opportunity to fully restore the whole thing and repair the blown channel while I am at it.

I'll post a couple of photos of the noise bursts I captured with the DSO shortly.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 AM   #56
Dannii

Here's the shots from the DSO. Note the sensitivity is 5 volts per division here. Some of these noise bursts are between 10 to 15 volts which is roughly between 12.5 to 28 watts peak into an 8 Ohm load.
The time scale is 5ms per division so these have low frequency fundamental energy between about 20Hz to 200Hz with a ton of HF energy as well.

In other words, these noise pulses are VERY noticeable and not insignificant. As mentioned earlier, I am suspecting a faulty small signal transistor as the cause either in the input stages or the bias circuit.

Anyway, here's the shots...

There's a bit of a story behind this oscilloscope too. It is one of two I won at an auction last year. They are both the same model (Tektronix 7603 mainframes) but one has a 7D20 digital storage plugin (the one I used here) and the other has three analog plugins (two dual trace amplifiers and a 100MHz timebase). I paid $125 each for them. Tektronix use the term plugins to describe the interchangeable modules that can be swapped quickly between mainframes.

Here's a full shot of the one with the digital storage plugin...

They were both faulty when I got them but I was expecting that. I'll post more about this later but the DSO one is up and running and the one with the analog plugins has a faulty power supply and is on my bench awaiting repairs. I did a few basic repairs on the analog plugins and tested them in the good mainframe and they work fine.

Here's a couple of shots of the faulty mainframe with the repaired analog plugins...

Front panel

Covers removed and power supply ready for repair

As mentioned, I'll post more about the repairs soon.

These scopes were worth a lot of money new (about $10K in Australia) and the 7D20 DSO plugin was around the same price. That DSO plugin was the top of the line when new and Tektronix are still known as one of the industry standards for oscilloscopes. The analog plugins were also worth a substantial amount of money.
They are still very well spec'd by today's standards so I consider $250 for the lot to be a great buy!
Old 05-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #57
ivansc

I love your soaring geekdom, D! And your persistence. Wish you didnt live so far away.
I would be round your place, with wounded stuff, looking pathetic and hopeful OFTEN.
Well done, mate!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #58
alanofoz

Quote:
I love your soaring geekdom, D! And your persistence. Wish you didnt live so far away.
I would be round your place, with wounded stuff, looking pathetic and hopeful OFTEN.
Well done, mate!
Yeah, me too. At least I'm in the same country.

Actually, as a young electrical engineer I moved from Geelong to Adelaide in 1965, about 50 years before Dave made a similar move. After a couple of years a career move took me to Sydney, retirement in 2005 brought me to the Blue Mountains. Next move in my plan is the eternal one......

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 AM   #59
ivansc

My Grandad`s family originated somewhere in the UK waaaay back & settled in and around Warrnambool. He married my grandma (a Brit) after WW1 and settled in the UK after serving with the ANZACs, most notably in the Gallipoli campaign.

And then one half of the family returned to Oz in the early 1960s & have stayed there. So the family have a long history of immi and emi grating!
Me too - 3 different countries & then returned to UK so far.

Suspect I may well end up in France assuming she gets her ROI passport OK and I can ride her coat tails in on it!
Old 05-30-2018, 01:47 AM   #60
cyrano

Funny. I've got relatives in Oz too...

At the beginning of the 20th century, a relative, who was very atheïst, decided to leave Belgium. He was a uni professor and moved to the Netherlands, only to find out religion is even worse there. So he moved to South-Africa...

In South Africa, he had something with the dean's wife. When the dean discovered that, he was left with a choice of leaving the country, or face the consequences. Obviously, he left.

On the boat to Australia, he met his Swedish wife. They married upon arrival in Australia. Some generations later, there's about 50 of them. Another dozen or so have spread all over the world.

The family farm is in a remote place called Woollalonga. One of his offspring wrote "A short history of Australia" and was awarded some medal for that. Since the family was no longer living on the farm, it was turned into a museum.

I've never visited Australia, but my mom has. They visit us regurarily.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #61
Dr Bob

Many of my relatives are in OZ. Anyone with the surname Westaway are related to my wife without doubt. My great aunt Honor King married Douglas B Prescott from Wolseley and had 7 children and so on …

He was a big voice in the Freemasons movement over there - you agree with it or not - and my Grandfather Kelvyn King was Grandmaster of all Wessex in the UK Freemasons. When he went to Oz for a visit he was treated like royalty! Lived in 3 centuries, born in 1897, died 2000.

To get back on topic ... just had to rescue my Oxygen8 midi keyboard from certain doom. My cat decided it was a litter tray and peed on the keys - the whole unit was awash with cat pee! How she got it down between the keys I do not know! I won't leave it on the floor again!

Completely dismantled it, washed and disinfected everything, dried and reassembled. Once I went back in and reseated everything, it all seems to be OK. Cat now called "cooking fat"!

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:33 PM   #62
crootnik

very interesting. Our band actually recorded in a studio like that. Eddy Offord (YES, ELP) had a studio in the 1980s near Atlanta, Georgia.. Jonesboro, if I remember correctly. We recorded on the stage for our drum tracks.. ..guitar cabs were in the movie projector booth. we recorded string harp up there, as well and oh yeah, also acoustic guitar. I'm very interested in your progress. Please keep us informed.. Very cool deal you have going there.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #63
bolgwrad

Cleaning: In Poundland they do "No More Dirty Bike", which is Trisodium Nitrilotriacetate. It's a superb detergent and degreaser. It'll cost about £7 anywhere else.
bolgwrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #64
Dannii

Quote:
Well done, mate!
I concur about the distance thing. There's somewhat of an expanse of ocean between us unfortunately. Otherwise, I'm sure we'd spend hours at a time talking music and gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanofoz View Post
Yeah, me too. At least I'm in the same country.

Actually, as a young electrical engineer I moved from Geelong to Adelaide in 1965, about 50 years before Dave made a similar move. After a couple of years a career move took me to Sydney, retirement in 2005 brought me to the Blue Mountains. Next move in my plan is the eternal one......
I wouldn't be in any particular hurry to leave the Blue Mountains if I lived there either. In fact, I'm actually quite happy where I am now too. I REALLY dislike moving!!
Quote:
My Grandad`s family originated somewhere in the UK waaaay back & settled in and around Warrnambool. He married my grandma (a Brit) after WW1 and settled in the UK after serving with the ANZACs, most notably in the Gallipoli campaign.

And then one half of the family returned to Oz in the early 1960s & have stayed there. So the family have a long history of immi and emi grating!
Me too - 3 different countries & then returned to UK so far.

Suspect I may well end up in France assuming she gets her ROI passport OK and I can ride her coat tails in on it!
Funny you mention Warnambool. I remember you mentioned it in a previous reply and I didn't understand the joke. We have a Warnambool here in Australia too and I've been there many times. I thought you were referring to that. Didn't know there was a place with the same name in UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Funny. I've got relatives in Oz too...

At the beginning of the 20th century, a relative, who was very atheïst, decided to leave Belgium. He was a uni professor and moved to the Netherlands, only to find out religion is even worse there. So he moved to South-Africa...

In South Africa, he had something with the dean's wife. When the dean discovered that, he was left with a choice of leaving the country, or face the consequences. Obviously, he left.

On the boat to Australia, he met his Swedish wife. They married upon arrival in Australia. Some generations later, there's about 50 of them. Another dozen or so have spread all over the world.

The family farm is in a remote place called Woollalonga. One of his offspring wrote "A short history of Australia" and was awarded some medal for that. Since the family was no longer living on the farm, it was turned into a museum.

I've never visited Australia, but my mom has. They visit us regurarily.
Haven't hear about "A short history of Australia" yet. Might have to check it out some time.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #65
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
Many of my relatives are in OZ. Anyone with the surname Westaway are related to my wife without doubt. My great aunt Honor King married Douglas B Prescott from Wolseley and had 7 children and so on …

He was a big voice in the Freemasons movement over there - you agree with it or not - and my Grandfather Kelvyn King was Grandmaster of all Wessex in the UK Freemasons. When he went to Oz for a visit he was treated like royalty! Lived in 3 centuries, born in 1897, died 2000.

To get back on topic ... just had to rescue my Oxygen8 midi keyboard from certain doom. My cat decided it was a litter tray and peed on the keys - the whole unit was awash with cat pee! How she got it down between the keys I do not know! I won't leave it on the floor again!

Completely dismantled it, washed and disinfected everything, dried and reassembled. Once I went back in and reseated everything, it all seems to be OK. Cat now called "cooking fat"!

dB
Erm.... Not a nice thing to have to clean up!!! Glad it survived though!
Regarding Freemasons, I have an uncle who is a Grand Master in Geelong, Victoria. He doesn't divulge too many secrets to me when we talk about it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crootnik View Post
very interesting. Our band actually recorded in a studio like that. Eddy Offord (YES, ELP) had a studio in the 1980s near Atlanta, Georgia.. Jonesboro, if I remember correctly. We recorded on the stage for our drum tracks.. ..guitar cabs were in the movie projector booth. we recorded string harp up there, as well and oh yeah, also acoustic guitar. I'm very interested in your progress. Please keep us informed.. Very cool deal you have going there.
I'll definitely be updating regarding the electronic repairs. As for the theatre, the owner hasn't really come forward with his initial enthusiasm for restoring it yet. He has plenty of money but is focused on other things. That's not really a problem for me either though. I have my studio set up and running nicely now and have been busy working on my own projects, the primary one being a double length album which is my most ambitious project in three decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Cleaning: In Poundland they do "No More Dirty Bike", which is Trisodium Nitrilotriacetate. It's a superb detergent and degreaser. It'll cost about £7 anywhere else.
Haven't seen that one over here yet. Might have to have a look in Bunnings (one of our biggest hardware stores in Aussieland) next time I go there.