COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 09-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
AndyMc
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper NINJAM Setup

This Youtube video made by NINJAM user RADAR should get you up and running, if you don't want multiple channels just leave all options in IO in the video alone, then all tracks will send to ReaNINJAM's single stereo track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni5Q2qnB_HM

But here is the orig setup I made some time ago, some items may have different icons etc in REAPER V4.

When I get a chance I'll update this, but please don't follow no complicated send here and there multiple channel / track setup's, there incorrect, REAPER doesn't need all that send to and from for multiple tracks to multiple NINJAM channels, to get multiple channels just watch the vid.
ReaNINJAM only ever needs to be on Master Volumes FX, for multi or single NINJAM channels.

I'll try make a new guide with graphics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guide
Hiya, in a few places now I've been seeing incorrect guides to setting up REAPERS NINJAM Client, ReaNINJAM, within REAPER.
So to save time helping 1 person at a time undo or redo setups from other guides I decided to made, I hope, a simple guide.
This also covers setting up Reason, Ableton, Cubase and simular programs to send audio direct to REAPER. With some ReWire can be used but some are having problems getting them to connect so this is a work around for them people.
Also if you wish to connect software to REAPER then you will need to have ticked the ReaASIO option when installing REAPER. If you do not see ReaRoute as explained later in this guide then simple install reaper again, there is no need to uninstall any previous REAPER Version. I recommend you download the latest version to make sure your up to date.
And remember, select the ReaRoute ASIO Driver when installing. If you do not see it, look under Additional Functionality and you will see ReaRoute ASIO Driver.

PART 1 (REAPERS AUDIO SETUP):

1. Load Reaper.
2. Click Options at the top, then look to the bottom of the list and select Preferences, or press CTRL + P.
3. In the Preferences window select Device just below Audio.
4. Under Audio System select ASIO.
5. Under Asio Driver select your sound cards Asio, if there is not one there goto www.asio4all.com then download and install asio4all.
Now close and rerun REAPER and follow throught to step 5 again, but you will now see ASIO4ALL v2 or simular, select this or your soundcards asio driver.
6. The next options is Enable Inputs, tick this. Bow under this you will see First and Last, this is the first and last inputs that will be available to you in REAPER. So for example if it says 1. Line, 2. Line, 3. Mic, 4. Mic and so on then the first of each 2 is Left as in 1. Line = Line In Left and 2. Line would be Line In Right.
So if say you just wanted to use your mic input for your guitar you would select First = 3. Mic and Last would be 4. Mic then you have the left and right of your computers microphone. You may think this seems silly to have it like this but some people can use there mic input with a splitter jack and have guitar and mic in on the same input but controlled separately in REAPER.
Now you will see underneath Output Range, this is like input range but for your outputs. Some people use there optical out or have more than 1 output on there sound cards, many come with 5.1 or 7.1 outputs so you may have 2 or 3 outputs and this can be handy if you want to goto an Hiya, Amp or similar as well as going out to the Computer Speakers.
So in first and last once again 1. Wave and 2. Wave will represent Left and Right. You may see at 1 and 2 one output you want then at 5 and 6 the other output, you will have to select 1. as your first and 6. as your last.

Ok now leave the rest at its default unless u feel confident enough to know what needs changing for your sound card.

Thats the Audio setup of REAPER sorted, now lets setup Your input and ReaNINJAM.

PART 2 (REAPERS NINJAM Setup):

1. First of you need to create a Track for your input. If you have already tried to setup NINJAM in REAPER then you may have made tracks and have them routing to other tracks etc. this is not needed for using REAPER just for NINJAM and NINJAM Session Mode. I suggest you delete any tracks you may have created from other guides. Ok now press CTRL + T or right click the empty space and select Insert Track, either way you should get a new track.
2. Next to the number of the track there is a space for naming your track, click this space then enter text for that track, something like Guitar Input.
3. Now hover your mouse over the bottom of the track and it will change to a double vertical arrow cursor, now click and hold and move your mouse down to enlarge the tack so show more hidden options.
4. You should now see a peak meter (volume meter), a speaker icon and REC IN. Click the speaker repeatedly until its just grey with no no-entry sign or A on it (newer REAPER shows solid white).

Setting your Input

5. On the peak meter right click your mouse and move down to Mono Input or Stereo Input and now the inputs you set in the PART 1 will be visible, if not then go back and repeat PART 1. Select either your mono or stereo input, say your MIC if mono or MIC / MIC if stereo, and thats your input selected.
Now you will see just above the peak meter and to the left slightly a grey circle, click this and it turns red.
Now you have Enabled your track and if your guitar or instrument is plugged in you should hear it, you may need to adjust volumes etc.
You can now click FX and add some live effects to your instrument.

5.1. This extra step if for people who want to connect programs like Reason, Ableton, Cubase and similar directly to REAPER.
When in step 5 you select the input you will also see ReaRoute Channel 1, 2, 3 and so on in mono input or ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2 and so on in stereo input. Select Stereo Input then select ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2.
Now goto your music software and to its audio setup, select the ASIO Driver as ReaRoute ASIO then select ReaRoute 1 and 2 for left and right if it gives u the extra option.
If you run 2 or more pieces of software then set one on ReaRoute 1/2 then another on 3/4 and so on, then make a track for each in REAPER and set the stereo input to ReaRoute Channel 1 / ReaRoute Channel 2 then ReaRoute Channel 3 / ReaRoute Channel 4 for the next track and so on.

Enabling NINJAM in REAPER

6. Almost done, at the bottom of REAPER there is a MASTER Volume slider, on this small panel there are also a few others things and one is a FX, click this FX to bring up the Master FX Chain window.
In this window the Add button, this will bring up the Add FX to MASTER window. In this window select Cockos in the left panel, then in the right panel select ReaNINJAM, you may see VST: ReaNINJAM (Cockos), if so select that insted.
Next Click OK, the Add FX to MASTER window will now vanish and you will be back on the Master FX Chain window.
In the left Panel you will see the ReaNINJAM plugin selected, If the square box to the left of the ReaNINJAM is not ticked then click and tick it.
If by now the ReaNINJAM client window has not popped up and showing on the screen then to the right of the Master FX Chain window click Show ReaNINJAM Console, if you do not see this then click the ReaNINJAM once to highlight it then you should see the Show ReaNINJAM Console button.
You can now close the Master FX Chain window by clicking the x at the top right of the Master FX Chain window.

Now goto File up top of REAPER and select Save project...
Give it a name like NINJAM REAPER Setup and thats it, your done.
Just click connect on the ReaNINJAM window and it will show servers and who is in them, or enter another servers address manually.

Have fun and cya soon on REAPER/NINJAM.

Last edited by AndyMc; 01-03-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Updated
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
pljones

Above applies to hardware or software audio feeds into Reaper. For MIDI feeds with virtual instruments hosted in Reaper, you need to add a step 5.2 (dropping 5 and 5.1 if not needed).

5.2) As ever, create a track, setting it to "monitor track input while recording" and "record disable (input monitor only)", arm the track and turn on monitoring. The track also needs to accept MIDI input from your device -- right-click->MIDI Inputs->All MIDI Inputs->All Channels is a good starting point. Now, click the FX button to insert track FX and select your virtual instrument. When you play your MIDI device, you should see a small red square appear at the left end of the track meter and hear some output.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
AndyMc

OK I'm bumping this as I'm having to keep getting links for people as its slipping down the pecking order.

So BUMP
Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
spuddle

Could someone please Sticky this thread?
spuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
cryptomail

Default Am I someone? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuddle View Post
Could someone please Sticky this thread?
I think I am
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
spuddle

Nice one
spuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 AM   #7
mk66

Default SETTING REAPER IN NINJAM WITH MAC

Hi Andy, here I am. I read your suggests to set reaper in Ninjam under windows. Could you tell me how can i set the program in MAC?
mk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
pljones

If you want to be really fancy, you can run Reaper under WINE with wineasio and jackd... I don't know if it helps you, though.
http://www.davehayes.org/2007/04/27/...with-wineasio/
Old 11-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
mk66

Just to tell you that i've set reaper with ninjam under OS X loading a driver called SOUNDFLOWER that make communication between 2 sound software possible.
This info is for all mac users. It works under GARAGE BAND too.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
AndyMc

mk66 if u get time to add extra instructions or new thread for OS X I'm sure some already and newer users would get great benefits from the help.
All the info people are adding to this thread is helping a lot of new users get straight into NINJAM with minimal problems.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
shek

Default Soundflower

Hi all. I wanted to first say thanks for all the fun I had checking out ninjam last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk66 View Post
Just to tell you that i've set reaper with ninjam under OS X loading a driver called SOUNDFLOWER that make communication between 2 sound software possible.
This info is for all mac users. It works under GARAGE BAND too.
So I tested this just now. It does indeed work. However the latency makes it unusable. At least for me
So I installed jackosx. Unfortunately, ninjam does not appear to see the jack server so I cant route to it. I plan to look into this further as I would really love to use ninjam from my mac. If anyone has a clue of how to connect ninjam to reaper without the heavy latency or better yet how to get ninjam to see jackd I would sure love to hear it. Thanks again.
shek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #12
mk66

Default soundflowers driver

yes shek, too many latency with soundflower driver. I don't use it anymore. I'd like to chek jackosx and i'll tell tou something about. I'w waiting a new external audio device, m-audio 410 firewire... perhaps I'll get something better... I've also found a plugin (audio unit) but i haven't still had time to check it:
http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsl...jamplugin.html
Would you try it and tell me how is it work?
TNX
Marco
Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
WaterRitual

Default I set up differently

I just went through this set up procedure and could not figure how to send distinct reaper tracks to distinct ninjam channels. If ReaNINJAM is on master track fx, I don't see how it is possible. Then again, I don't know the ins and outs of the program very well.

The way I have always done it is to have ReaNINJAM on it's own track in Reaper, and route the other Reaper tracks into it so I can pick and choose which ReaNINJAM channel they go out on. That way, other people in Ninjam can adjust my individual instrument properties (eg. drum volume), either in real time or later on.

- Ritual
WaterRitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRitual View Post
I just went through this set up procedure and could not figure how to send distinct reaper tracks to distinct ninjam channels. If ReaNINJAM is on master track fx, I don't see how it is possible. Then again, I don't know the ins and outs of the program very well.

The way I have always done it is to have ReaNINJAM on it's own track in Reaper, and route the other Reaper tracks into it so I can pick and choose which ReaNINJAM channel they go out on. That way, other people in Ninjam can adjust my individual instrument properties (eg. drum volume), either in real time or later on.

- Ritual
Thanks Ritual, I was just trying to figure this out. I was not able to do this while Ninjam was on the master track, which makes sense now.

shifter
shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
pljones

See this thread for more about having multiple inputs to ReaNINJAM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:48 PM   #16
shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
See this thread for more about having multiple inputs to ReaNINJAM.
thanks pljones, got it working both ways now.

shifter
shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #17
the all new rob

That's a huge help to me Ritual, thanks for posting that explanation.
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #18
AndyMc

Can I ask why 2 ninjam channels is needed, this for session mode?

I only ask because if this is just to make adjusting of items with in the ReaNINJAM window then this has the cost of taking much more bandwidth.
Its nice on a receiving end to be able to adjust volumes for each item another person is playing but at the same time it could cause more lag and help them with at that time weaker connections to be dropped constantly.

A few people have 3 ninjam channels setup, 1 for drums one for bass and one for guitar or one for drums one for keys and one for mic.
This is a huge extra demand on servers bandwidth and is why some servers restrict to 1 channel per person which is all thats needed, everything else can be done REAPER side.

I'm not sure how this works for Session mode as I have not properly used session mode, so this may be needed.
But if this is the case and session mode works better with more ninjam channels then 2 setups would be better for them people, 1 with 1 ninjam channel for non session mode.

Last edited by AndyMc; 03-12-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
pljones

Default Levels

(I'm putting this here as it's sticky. Feel free to split...)

The ReaNINJAM plugin (and the various other NINJAM clients) provide you with a way to adjust the mix you hear locally. However, you should consider the level you're transmitting to the server and on to others.

If you're saturating the mix - your levels are above -12dB most of the time - then there's very little space in the mix for others to jam in. Yes, they can pull your levels down locally, but it doesn't really help AutoSong or NINBOT and you're affecting everyone else rather than taking responsibility for your own levels.

1) In NINJAM, set your local channel level sliders to 0dB.
2) Outside NINJAM, adjust your input levels so that your peaking at around the -12dB level in NINJAM. (Peaking: i.e. when you're trying to play much louder than normal.)

As more people join in the jam, the overall mix level will slowly rise, but with everyone peaking around the -12dB level, there's plenty of headroom before the mix will clip.

If you think others' levels are too low, consider whether you're too loud in the mix (turn up your final output stage to get others' levels right, then adjust your input level to suit).

If you think others' levels are too high, check you're reaching around -12dB at peaks. If not, adjust your input (turn down your final output stage to get others' levels right, then adjust your input level to suit).

(In Reaper and ReaNINJAM, you can easily check your peak levels in the meters. Click the reading to reset after adjusting inputs. In Reaper, you can also monitor your "RMS" values - a kind of average level. I'm not sure what a good value is but, when I'm drumming, I get RMS around -24dB when I'm peaking around -12dB. Maybe the drum peaks should be higher...)

Last edited by pljones; 04-08-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 AM   #20
pljones

Default More advice

If you can, please DI your signal rather than mic'ing. The sound quality really will be better.

If you have to mic, ALWAYS wear headphones for monitoring, and make sure the level in your 'phones isn't so high your mic's picking it up (it's better for you and better for those you're jamming with).

Before joining in, play along with "local transmit" turned off, just to get the feel. Don't forget to turn it on again, though. (A perpetual source of embarrassment... )

If you're not happy with the mix you're hearing, check the previous post first, then alert the people you're jamming with if you're sure they need to adjust their levels. As a last resort, use your sliders.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #21
AndyMc

I just wanna ask if people can not jump on private servers I'm on for help. I will help if in a test servers but not if I'm in private servers.

Thanks.

Last edited by AndyMc; 06-07-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
Zef

Default Nijam - OS X Leopard - Ableton Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk66 View Post
I've also found a plugin (audio unit) but i haven't still had time to check it:
http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsl...jamplugin.html
Would you try it and tell me how is it work?
TNX
Marco
I've been playing with the ExpertSleepers AU ninjam plugin and it works ok.

However, the host application (Ableton Live 7) constantly and consistently crashes after about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions on geting ninjam to work properly on Mac Os 10.5 using Ableton Live?
Zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
pljones

I'm going to post an add on here about multiple tracking.

Please do your own mixing locally. Really, it is far better if you get your mix right than everyone else on NINJAM having to do it. In a channel with maybe six other players, you are causing a serious overhead both in bandwidth and in wasting everyone's time, effort and interest. It detracts from the vibe.

Keep it simple. Even if you've got three mates around and you're all playing into your multi-input soundcard, it's still better to get the four of you mixed down to a single stereo stream, nicely balanced, before joining the jam.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #24
AndyMc

Yeah nicely put Pljones.

People set 2 channels but with disconnections and like you say people wanting to jam not mix others levels most are just constantly to others as 2 mono channels which only makes them sound worse.

As for routing as many create more than 1 ninjam channel, their tracks in reaper can be adjusted so they can hear all, un-arm and hear just what they want and even hear all but not send all to reaninjam.

So there's no need to deviate from this setup for most users unless you have specific needs.

Last edited by AndyMc; 09-02-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 AM   #25
ichijou

So does Ninjam send record the volume level at 0.0db? I was testing out the sound options by joining a ninbot server and steaming the audio live so I could compare levels. When I set my local channel volume to 0db the sound was louder in Reaper than on the live steam, where as when I set the local channel volume to -12db, it was about even.
ichijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #26
AndyMc

I made a Route up to show you where the audio goes and at what db.

The Audio flows through your Track then FX can be added but either way you see the volume still flows on to master, from master it flows to the ReaNINJAM plugin at 0db, then leaves the plugin outwards to the net at 0db.

Now the Audio on local channel and remote flows back from the ReaNINJAM plugin back into Master.
Adjusting Local Channel has no effect on your audio output to the ninjam server. For the most common REAPER + ReaNINJAM Setup the Local Channel will then become a PRE Master volume for all sound you generate in REAPER and Remote Channels control sounds of the person's there attached too.

So if you just keep it basic and see from Instrument to Track to Master to ReaNINJAM to Net your audio travels, but on that route only Track Volume Slider will have an effect on what people on the Net hear. So now the way to control your volume comes down to the knobs on your Instrument and the Track Volume Slider.

So a good way to get correct levels is to put TRACK, MASTER and LOCAL CHANNEL and ReaNINJAM Master to 0db, you will need to lower your speakers for this. Now get your volume to a good level so on local channel it peaks around -12db to -10db when your playing your loudest. If your drums max around -8db to -6db. Pads and similar should not be this high as they have a bigger width and if possible should be eq'd or compressed to achieve a good level. Also to get heard in a Jam more consider Panning yourself slightly, remember panning on LOCAL CHANNEL will have no effect to what people hear on the Server, they will still hear you Panned Center, Pan on TRACK.

When you have your sound set sweet then reduce MASTER and LOCAL CHANNEL, it might be best leaving ReaNINJAM Master at 0db.

Some Tips to help along the way:

1. BUZZ / HUMM
--------------
If you have Humm/Buzz then move away from the monitor or electrical equipment if you use mic, bass, guitar type instruments.
Also make sure sure music equipment is plugged into the same socket as the PC and Speakers or you could get an Earth Loop.

2. NOISE / HISS
---------------
This can be cause by output on an FX Pedal being too high, trim on mixers being too high so lower input levels then use Track Volume Slider to Increase Volume. Make sure your input is using mic, guitar is pre-amped. If your using a Pedal check if it has pre-amp, also some fx boxes, and pedals output an amped signal so using Line-In instead of Mic (pre-amped) pc input could help.
Also having Mic Boost on PC Mic Inputs is a common problem for creating noise, specially if your pedal is already pre-amped.
Other solutions that can help are using FX's on the TRACK, such as noise gate's, eq and compressor plugins. There are many built into Reaper plus lots free online as well as some very expensive ones.

3. DISTORTION / CRACKLE
This can be caused by many things but I'll put the most obvious causes.
Having a Pre-Amped Pedal and going through a Pre-Amped Mic Socket will cause this, as well as having Mic Boost on too. Solution is to use the Line-In or turn off Mic Boost and Pedals Output Volume.
Also Instrument's Volume too high, so Lower the Instrument then up Pedal or Mic-In's Volume Level or TRACK Volume Level.
Crackle can be cause by peaking over 0db so above could help that or due to ASIO.
ASIO Crackling is due to High CPU Load (your machine is doing too much), some Web Cams set to 640x480, ASIO Drivers and Lastly, WINDOWS VISTA.
For Hight CPU you need to shut down anything you dont' need whilst playing, this could involve Virus Checkers but not Firewalls, leave your firewall running or use the Windows Firewall if you shut down your Software Firewall.
Web Cam's can be set to 320x240 if possible to reduce or kill the crackle, also setting REAPER in Preferences, Audio, Device to High Priority.
Drivers is a mine field, I can only suggest using http://Asio4all.com or if your sound card is a built-in AC97 you could try the nVidia Legacy Audio Drivers which have a pretty good ASIO Driver and Sound Mixer.
If you have a Creative Card and are pretty clued up pc's you could try the KX driver - http://kxproject.com but X-Fi'x and a few other Creative Cards or USB Boxes are not Supported. Apart form that make sure if there is an ASIO selection for your card in the options that you select that
With VISTA its hit and miss, if you use too much your get crackles and pops, some can't even use a small amount before they get them. For most using a Guitar and couple of FX's you should be fine but for anyone wanting to use VSTi's then your most likely be out of luck and have crackles and pops. This is a widely know problem and not related to REAPER or NINJAM or ReaNINJAM, its a VISTA Problem. Hopefully VISTA SP2 will fix the problem when ever it comes or if there is even to be one.

I probably missed something somewhere , I'll amend any error's if there even is any later.

Last edited by AndyMc; 02-27-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #27
user7776543

Default Seperate channel for loops?

I'd like to create a seperate channel/send for loops, so that people could adjust the volume of my instrument seperately from the volume of the loops I send.

Is this possible? Could someone explain how? I'm sure it's very simple, I'm jut overlooking something.
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #28
the all new rob

The secret is in post 13 of this thread.

Eveything in the first post applies, except
1) you would put reaninjam on a track other than the master
2) make that a 4-channel track
3) you manually route all other instrument/loop tracks to that track, using either 1/2 or 3/4 as destination to break them into separate ninjam channels
4) you uncheck the master/parent send for all the instrument/loop tracks to ensure you are monitoring the level correctly.
5) create your second reaninjam local channel and assign it to 3/4.
6) rock out
Old 12-11-2008, 08:40 PM   #29
user7776543

Quote:
Originally Posted by the all new rob View Post
3) you manually route all other instrument/loop tracks to that track, using either 1/2 or 3/4 as destination to break them into separate ninjam channels
How do I accomplish this step?
user7776543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #30
the all new rob

For each track you wish to route, click the IO button, then create new sends to the reaninjam track, and while you're there uncheck the master/parent send box (upper left corner) which will knock out step 4.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #31
AndyMc

Should still work having ReaNINJAM on master. Just set the stereo out (the i/o) of the track to say 1/2 then 3/4 then 5/6 and so on then on ReaNINJAM make channels and set them to stereo 1/2 or 3/4 and so on.
If 1/2 picks up everything then use 3/4 to 7/8, not tried it so not sure if this is the case but if routing is accurate this method should work.

Even though ReaNINJAM is on Master FX it should still be picking up as input for channel the Stereo 1/2 and so on.

Last edited by AndyMc; 12-13-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #32
the all new rob

Problem is while you can assign the master have more than two channels, I don't think you can route to them. Master just doesn't appear in the list of possible routing destinations.

Added: It turns out you can do it--but you need to ensure each and every track that you want to send to your second ninjam channel pair is set up for four channels and using the 3/4 pair.

In my case, with several VST instruments stacked on a typical one of my several channels, the method described above is slightly less hassle, although it has drawbacks of its own as well.

Last edited by the all new rob; 12-13-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: tested and it works
the all new rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #33
AndyMc

So I was right then. :P
Old 12-18-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
lambizi

hi...

i am new here, and i dont know anything about anything related ti ninjam, or tecnical-informatical questions, so please be patient with me...maybe u can help me, or at least adress me in a place where i can be helped out...

my question is simple...

i downloaded Ninjam+Reaper, but whenever i want to connect, i dont know what to write into the "connect to host" space...it would be nice to get on nijam, and get to meet the cats up there...to jam, or to exange ideas...could u help?...

John.
lambizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #35
AndyMc

If thou should see connecteth to thy servers in list, with in thou connect windowth. See thy test.ninjam.com:2049 to conecteth to thy server and through audio will flow.
If thy haveth not ableness to connect then thou try thy typing of server adresseth in thou formeth of test.ninjam.com:2049

Ifeth this not to connect to thy to thou server then trieth thy other servers.

Thou trieth unto them these servers:

Thou
test.ninjam.com:2049
Thy
test.ninjam.com:2050
Thou
test.ninjam.com:2051
And Thy
test.ninjam.com:2052

Hopeth thou will endeavor in thy quest for connection.
May the lords of NINJAM be with you.

Andy Mcieth.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #36
lambizi

u must be nuts...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #37
AndyMc

But yet I have the intelligence to post in the right section of a forum. :S
Old 12-27-2008, 11:20 PM   #38
lambizi

an intelligent nut then...ok...thanks...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #39
Coolartisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMc View Post
I made a Route up to show you where the audio goes and at what db.

The Audio flows through your Track then FX can be added but either way you see the volume still flows on to master, from master it flows to the ReaNINJAM plugin at 0db, then leaves the plugin outwards to the net at 0db.

Now the Audio on local channel and remote flows back from the ReaNINJAM plugin back into Master.
Adjusting Local Channel has no effect on your audio output to the ninjam server. For the most common REAPER + ReaNINJAM Setup the Local Channel will then become a PRE Master volume for all sound you generate in REAPER and Remote Channels control sounds of the person's there attached too.

So if you just keep it basic and see from Instrument to Track to Master to ReaNINJAM to Net your audio travels, but on that route only Track Volume Slider will have an effect on what people on the Net hear. So now the way to control your volume comes down to the knobs on your Instrument and the Track Volume Slider.

So a good way to get correct levels is to put TRACK, MASTER and LOCAL CHANNEL and ReaNINJAM Master to 0db, you will need to lower your speakers for this. Now get your volume to a good level so on local channel it peaks around -12db to -10db when your playing your loudest. If your drums max around -8db to -6db. Pads and similar should not be this high as they have a bigger width and if possible should be eq'd or compressed to achieve a good level. Also to get heard in a Jam more consider Panning yourself slightly, remember panning on LOCAL CHANNEL will have no effect to what people hear on the Server, they will still hear you Panned Center, Pan on TRACK.

When you have your sound set sweet then reduce MASTER and LOCAL CHANNEL, it might be best leaving ReaNINJAM Master at 0db.

Some Tips to help along the way:

1. BUZZ / HUMM
--------------
If you have Humm/Buzz then move away from the monitor or electrical equipment if you use mic, bass, guitar type instruments.
Also make sure sure music equipment is plugged into the same socket as the PC and Speakers or you could get an Earth Loop.

2. NOISE / HISS
---------------
This can be cause by output on an FX Pedal being too high, trim on mixers being too high so lower input levels then use Track Volume Slider to Increase Volume. Make sure your input is using mic, guitar is pre-amped. If your using a Pedal check if it has pre-amp, also some fx boxes, and pedals output an amped signal so using Line-In instead of Mic (pre-amped) pc input could help.
Also having Mic Boost on PC Mic Inputs is a common problem for creating noise, specially if your pedal is already pre-amped.
Other solutions that can help are using FX's on the TRACK, such as noise gate's, eq and compressor plugins. There are many built into Reaper plus lots free online as well as some very expensive ones.

3. DISTORTION / CRACKLE
This can be caused by many things but I'll put the most obvious causes.
Having a Pre-Amped Pedal and going through a Pre-Amped Mic Socket will cause this, as well as having Mic Boost on too. Solution is to use the Line-In or turn off Mic Boost and Pedals Output Volume.
Also Instrument's Volume too high, so Lower the Instrument then up Pedal or Mic-In's Volume Level or TRACK Volume Level.
Crackle can be cause by peaking over 0db so above could help that or due to ASIO.
ASIO Crackling is due to High CPU Load (your machine is doing too much), some Web Cams set to 640x480, ASIO Drivers and Lastly, WINDOWS VISTA.
For Hight CPU you need to shut down anything you dont' need whilst playing, this could involve Virus Checkers but not Firewalls, leave your firewall running or use the Windows Firewall if you shut down your Software Firewall.
Web Cam's can be set to 320x240 if possible to reduce or kill the crackle, also setting REAPER in Preferences, Audio, Device to High Priority.
Drivers is a mine field, I can only suggest using http://Asio4all.com or if your sound card is a built-in AC97 you could try the nVidia Legacy Audio Drivers which have a pretty good ASIO Driver and Sound Mixer.
If you have a Creative Card and are pretty clued up pc's you could try the KX driver - http://kxproject.com but X-Fi'x and a few other Creative Cards or USB Boxes are not Supported. Apart form that make sure if there is an ASIO selection for your card in the options that you select that
With VISTA its hit and miss, if you use too much your get crackles and pops, some can't even use a small amount before they get them. For most using a Guitar and couple of FX's you should be fine but for anyone wanting to use VSTi's then your most likely be out of luck and have crackles and pops. This is a widely know problem and not related to REAPER or NINJAM or ReaNINJAM, its a VISTA Problem. Hopefully VISTA SP2 will fix the problem when ever it comes or if there is even to be one.

I probably missed something somewhere , I'll amend any error's if there even is any later.

THANK you for sharing this info. it has been of real help.
Coolartisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #40
AndyMc

Np, Happy to help.