Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 11-07-2022, 06:15 AM   #1
mcoyle
Human being with feelings

Default Use Caution when udating to Ubuntu 22.10

For the first time in years, I had problems after updating, and they were all related to audio, so I thought I'd mention it here.

I imagine some of these issues will get fixed daily, but just so you're aware...

I installed Pipewire early under 22.04 and it caused a world of hurt. A library version under 22.04 was newer than a version under 22.10. That killed audio. The seeming simple solution was to uninstall and reinstall pipwire. BUT in order to do that, apt also removes all elements of the desktop GUI. Make a note of the apps that are removed because you'll be testing your terminal chops to get them reinstalled.

I also had to reinstall bluetooth audio libraries.

And as of today, there is no Wine-staging, so I lost wine, which also means no yabridge. Installing the default wine fixed that problem.

Hopefully, my situation was an outlier, but just in case, I thought I'd mention here.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:18 AM   #2
chmaha

That sucks! My general advice would be:

1) Never update in place for fixed-release distros. Instead always do a fresh install (a dedicated home partition help somewhat with this). FWIW, I never used to update in place on Windows either as something invariably would go wrong! MacOS in-place updates were generally fine to be fair...

or, even better,

2) Prefer rolling distros such as Manjaro, Arch, openSUSE Tumbleweed etc. You can still do a fresh install down the line whenever the mood takes you

Last edited by chmaha; 11-07-2022 at 09:48 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
Glennbo

I had an Asus T100 Transformer Tablet/Netbook that was running Xubuntu 20.04 and because it has an Intel Baytrail CPU that needs a 32 bit EFI, yet can boot and run 64 bit OSs, I tried an in place upgrade.

My audio got hosed and didn't work again until multiple removal and installs of both PipeWire and PulseAudio. I finally got audio working, but then noticed that BlueTooth was not functioning. I put Mint on it, and gave it to my kid who formatted it and installed Arch.

That said, I have a MythTV server that was running Xubuntu 20.04 and I upgraded it in place to avoid the several day setup of MythTV. That machine runs 24/7 and upgraded with no issues.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
integral

are you sayign the blutooth functionality of the software was screwed or the operating system element of if?
integral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Matt Mayfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I had an Asus T100 Transformer Tablet/Netbook that was running Xubuntu 20.04 and because it has an Intel Baytrail CPU that needs a 32 bit EFI, yet can boot and run 64 bit OSs, I tried an in place upgrade.
Hi Glennbo, how did you install Ubuntu on there in the first place? I'm experimenting with a Cherry Trail tablet with similar 32-bit EFI, and I couldn't get any Ubuntu flavors to boot via USB stick installer. The only distro I've tried so far that has a working bootia32.efi and boots without issue is Fedora, which I'm not familiar with; I'd prefer a Debian-based OS.
Matt Mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
Hi Glennbo, how did you install Ubuntu on there in the first place? I'm experimenting with a Cherry Trail tablet with similar 32-bit EFI, and I couldn't get any Ubuntu flavors to boot via USB stick installer. The only distro I've tried so far that has a working bootia32.efi and boots without issue is Fedora, which I'm not familiar with; I'd prefer a Debian-based OS.
I had to create a bootable flash that was editable, rather than an unchangeable clone of an ISO, then I had to manually add bootia32.efi so the installer would copy and bind it during the install.

Pretty much the same as the instructions to install Manjaro here:
https://github.com/shane-eng/majaro_KDE_asus_X205TA

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I gave that Transformer tablet to my kid, and the reason why was I had originally installed Xubuntu 20.04 on it from an edited live flash. Upgrading it in place had too many things not working, so I tried for a day to create a new modified Xubuntu live flash, but never got one to make the thing boot after an install.

You can still get a 32 bit version of Mint, which is what I installed on it before giving it to my kid, so it would be a working machine with no issues. My kid is an Arch expert and installed Arch within hours of taking possession of it.

Last edited by Glennbo; 11-11-2022 at 03:31 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote