Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #41
nofish
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
maybe option: "when deleting velocity includes associated note" == {true or false) could work?
Afaik velocity is always tied to notes, so deleting velocity without deleting the associated notes wouldn't make sense I think.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #42
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Afaik velocity is always tied to notes, so deleting velocity without deleting the associated notes wouldn't make sense I think.
i don't know ..so maybe option: "when deleting velocity resets to default falue" == {true or false) could work.

or adding other modifier "Erase CC or reset velocity"

Last edited by deeb; 10-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #43
EvilDragon

No that doesn't make any sense.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #44
Reflected

don't use the word erase (eraser), that's all evildragon means that doesn't make sense but he doesn't know how to say that in a nice way.

there should be a "reset tool" for velocity which we will be able to select as an action at mouse modifiers section.

call it whatever you want...we just need to reset the velocity. simple as that.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #45
EvilDragon

There is no standard for what value the velocity should reset to.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #46
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
maximum sounds good to me, .. or setting somewhere like everything else
Old 10-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #47
gofer
-blänk-

I ‘m all for giving velocities a separate section in mouse modifiers. It makes sense because they are different. Just giving the erase another option is not ideal, imo, because it wouldn’t allow to reset ordinary CC. Personally I never felt the need to reset velocities to some default, but a modifier to reset pitch or pan events to dead center would be welcome.

My take on it is: add a mouse behaviour to reset events that works on all lanes, with default values that make sense for the particular event type. And create a separate mouse context for velocities (and while at it, why not also one for special event types like text/SysEx/Bank/Program and the like?). That way Reflected can have his alternativ behaviour for the eraser and anyone who wants a reset for other CC as well can have that and look for another useful behaviour for the eraser on the velocity lane (eg erase the note, if that would be added).

Reaper’s default velocity value (when you add the very first note) is one of the unsolved mysteries. Some swear it is 127, for others (including me) it is 96. To create a mouse modifier just to be able to set something to max or min value doesn’t make very much sense if you ask me, because it’s trivial to set them there with the currently available methods.

Last edited by gofer; 10-05-2019 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Punctuation
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #48
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
you could give your idea
it feels like you're being ignorance to people.

it is pretty simple to write a script to set the default vol, so i'm sure this could be edited at preferences.

also when you enter reaper and open a midi and write a note, there is a default value, right? so why don't you annoy justin and schwa for actually choosing for you a "default" value?

I don't get what your posts are for, but maybe you just being "negative" to keep this issue a live because you also want the devs to notice this. if so, whatever...
Old 10-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #49
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I ‘m all for giving velocities a separate section in mouse modifiers. It makes sense because they are different. Just giving the erase another option is not ideal, imo, because it wouldn’t allow to reset ordinary CC. Personally I never felt the need to reset velocities to some default, but a modifier to reset pitch or pan events to dead center would be welcome.
but that is why i asked why would velocity would be the only exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
My take on it is, add a mouse behaviour to reset events that works on all lanes, with default values that make sense for the particular event type. And create a separate mouse context for velocities (and while at it, why not also one for special event types like text/SysEx/Bank/Program and the like?) That way Reflected can have his alternativ behaviour for the eraser and anyone who wants a reset for other CC as well can have that and look for another useful behaviour for the eraser on the velocity lane (eg erase the note, if that would be added).
i agree on this too, in someway that is what i told some days ago in this thread. This should be applied to all CCs.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #50
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflected View Post
you could give your idea
it feels like you're being ignorance to people.
ED in manny comments has no constructive or fundamented idea.

It's basically posts like: it's not possible, it does not make sense, no because of design.. but forgets about the reasons.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #51
Tod

Quote:
also when you enter reaper and open a midi and write a note, there is a default value, right? so why don't you annoy justin and schwa for actually choosing for you a "default" value?
I go along with gofer, it's a velocity of 96 here too.

Quote:
I don't get what your posts are for, but maybe you just being "negative" to keep this issue a live because you also want the devs to notice this. if so, whatever...
In all fairness here Reflected, are you not being a little stubborn here yourself.

I'll bet you never tried the script I posted for you. With that script all you have to do is select the
velocity(s)/note(s) and hit a shortcut key, presto, all the velocities end up being what ever it is that
you want to be default. How much easier can it be.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #52
Tod

I posted this in and earlier post and would like to just reiterate it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Something else I'd like to see is the ability to apply actions, custom actions, and scripts to all the mouse modifiers. We already have it on some but not all, and there may be some where it simply is un-applicable.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #53
Reflected

Quote:
I'll bet you never tried the script I posted for you.
please trust me I did before. someone else already shared such a script long time ago.
I really appreciate your trying to help, but it is just not the flow I'm looking for my friend.
that's a lot less intuitive/effective/flowing than just click.

less unnecessary work --> more fun --> more focus (on music!)--> better ideas --> no need to compromise due to being exhausted by doing unnecessary technical actions --> great artistic feelings and eventually better results in less time.

Quote:
"Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Something else I'd like to see is the ability to apply actions, custom actions, and scripts to all the mouse modifiers. We already have it on some but not all, and there may be some where it simply is un-applicable."

I posted this in and earlier post and would like to just reiterate it here.
now that could be the flow I need and I'm all with you.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #54
deeb

Quote:
now that could be the flow I need and I'm all with you.
but, example, to which modifier would you associate a script action which would do the resetting?
Old 10-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #55
Reflected

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
but, example, to which modifier would you associate a script action which would do the resetting?

For now I can think of 2 options for me:

Right-MB
or
Left-MB + Alt (like in FLstudio)
Old 10-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #56
juliansader

The last two pages of this thread have nothing to do with CC envelopes. I suggest moving the bickering to the relevant FR thread: MIDI editor: "Erase event" mouse modifier does not work in velocity lane.

Last edited by juliansader; 10-05-2019 at 03:52 PM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #57
gofer
-blänk-

You’re right, Julian. I moved the whole discussion here (including your last post which now looks out of place because of that, but it didn’t make sense to leave it in the other thread either, so there we have it)
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote