Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
chucmck
Human being with feelings

Default New MacBook user account-lost plugin access

Hi - due to speed issues with my MacBook Pro, I worked with Apple tech support to create a new user account and transferred all my user files, docs, pictures, etc. to the new user. I can't get Reaper to load some of the plugins, like Xpand2 and some wave samples. When I follow the prompt to browse, I find the files but they are greyed out and clicking does no good. Any ideas?
Thanks
chucmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
serr

Need a few more details.

Are you familiar with using the Finder?
Do you know that you simply moved your files from the old account folder to your new one and there's no mystery?

Maybe the some files are still in the old account folder. That would flag OSX to do ownership permission required stuff like graying things out.

Sometimes in file browse windows they filter for valid file types. Doing something like inadvertently making an alias instead of copying a file would lead to that. (Because the file you're looking at is actually an alias file and thus not the valid file type you're browsing for in that example.)

Those are my two shots in the dark.

Post some screen shots maybe? Showing the files in question with extensions visible in a Finder window for example.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
vdubreeze

It sounds like the plugins were installed in the old user plugin folder, in the user specific library, as opposed to the system library, which would let any user use them. Both are valid places to put them, no problems there. Log out of this new user and log into your old one. Go into your plugins folders in the old user (hold down option key while going to the "go" menu and the invisible user library will appear). In that folder is audio and within that plugins. If that's where they are, option-drag what you need onto the main (root) level of your drive, the one that shows all your main folders (Applications, Users, etc) so it's not down any levels.

Then you can do one of two things: put them in the other audio/plugins folder which is there at root level Library/Audio/Plugins. Same, except it's not in a user account, it's in the system for any user. And try that. The other option would be to Log out and back in with your new one, take these plugins that you moved, and put the, in the plugins folder in the new user (same thing: option key while at "go" menu brings library up, then Audio/plugins. You might have to do the same for any needed files that were installed, so check your old user's documents folder (which can't be accessed by the new user) for them, and also the old user library for folders of the plugin developer's name, and do the same: they should go in the same locations but in your new user and you have to remove log out and in and put them in.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
cyrano

I'm guessing your previous account was the only one on the machine?

If that's a "Yes", it means that it was the 501. An admin account that also holds the keys to the kingdom.

Your VST's were all installed by that account and your new account has no access. If you know what you're doing, you could change access rights to the plugins folder.

If some of these plugins have folders at the root of that account, or in the "Documents" folder, you can try taking ownership of all files in your user account from the Finder, via "Get info".

However, since you already had performance problems, an erase and reinstall would be wiser. This time, leave the 501 alone, keep it for trouble shooting and software installation and create yourself a real user account.

BTW which Macbook Pro is it and what system software is it running? Mojave?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
chucmck

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
It sounds like the plugins were installed in the old user plugin folder, in the user specific library, as opposed to the system library, which would let any user use them. Both are valid places to put them, no problems there. Log out of this new user and log into your old one. Go into your plugins folders in the old user (hold down option key while going to the "go" menu and the invisible user library will appear). In that folder is audio and within that plugins. If that's where they are, option-drag what you need onto the main (root) level of your drive, the one that shows all your main folders (Applications, Users, etc) so it's not down any levels.

Then you can do one of two things: put them in the other audio/plugins folder which is there at root level Library/Audio/Plugins. Same, except it's not in a user account, it's in the system for any user. And try that. The other option would be to Log out and back in with your new one, take these plugins that you moved, and put the, in the plugins folder in the new user (same thing: option key while at "go" menu brings library up, then Audio/plugins. You might have to do the same for any needed files that were installed, so check your old user's documents folder (which can't be accessed by the new user) for them, and also the old user library for folders of the plugin developer's name, and do the same: they should go in the same locations but in your new user and you have to remove log out and in and put them in.
Thanks much for your ideas. I got the plug-in I'm looking for into the library, and it's doesn't show as greyed out there so I thought I was good, but when a I open the project in Reaper, it asks to find it when I click on "browse" I don't see a way to navigate to the hidden library. One thing if I look in finder at the original plug-in location it's not greyed out there, but it is in the browse function within Reaper. /Users/chuckm/Desktop/Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 12.08.37 PM.png
chucmck is offline   Reply With Quote