Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #801
Zoom_Wajaja
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
That's the thing though. Scroll up and read again, Zargon asked a question, it took me a few posts to understand what he wanted (in lieu of your complaints), once I understood, I was able to find him a solution.

I'd *never* have engaged you had you not started quoting me and complaining, scroll up and see. That's on you man, and you are still doing it, just let it go. There are plenty of takes things that can be improved, concentrate on those instead of me.

Whatever...
Zoom_Wajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #802
polarizing

This sucks. I just switched to Reaper from Logic and Ableton, and I love it in all other regards, but damn....

coming from Logic's immaculate comping functionality.... it's disappointing :/
polarizing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #803
Goofball Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Reserved 2.
Reserved 2 has to be my favorite reserved spot so far.
Goofball Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:21 PM   #804
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarizing View Post
This sucks. I just switched to Reaper from Logic and Ableton, and I love it in all other regards, but damn....

Amen!

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:54 PM   #805
Zoom_Wajaja

Quote:

Absolutely
Zoom_Wajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #806
torreznor

Quote:

Yes, it's such a shame. I love many things about Reaper but the takes system is not one of them.
torreznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #807
Coachz

I sure wish I could comp takes like in this: https://youtu.be/_bNMVnlP5YQ?t=383

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:58 AM   #808
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post

Me too!

On the other hand, I can still get reaper to do what I want, just nowhere near as easily.

Face it, Cubase is ridiculously expensive & has a lot of things missing that ARE in Reaper, so Roundabouts & Swings.

I tried Cubase back when I had an Atari and hated it.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:01 AM   #809
ferropop

Have you guys not been following the latest prereleases?
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:53 AM   #810
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Have you guys not been following the latest prereleases?
Would it be possible to see a demo of how to do it? I'm guessing this has to be stitched together somehow to make it work.

Coachz Repo
Old 06-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #811
mschnell

I expect Kenny already is working on that

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:55 AM   #812
serr

Looking at some of those videos from other DAW comp system features...

It still looks like a lot of fuss to work with limited tracks or avoid multiple tracks. A hangover from analog tape and analog mixer days where the aim was to avoid generational reductions and noise build up from multiple tracks.

That part might be just, like, my opinion and all. At the same time I'm baffled that someone else who clearly also doesn't appreciate any of these features would jump into any DAW and struggle along with them. Is there a micro managing boss over your shoulder forcing you to enable any of this?

I'll say it again. Recording and comping "Protools style" with recording bin tracks and flying takes into your actual mix tracks (describing workflow with standard tracks here - not some feature) is as fast and visually clean as it gets. Reaper expanded this with lanes. You don't have to bother with playlists like Protools (and lose the ability to revert to alternate takes as soon as you make a timeline edit). New recordings that overlap existing media items -> Creates new media items in separate lanes. To quote the menu option.

I still see the appeal of clicking on a take to select it on the surface. But it still hinges around playing media back out of the recording track. And were right back to putting effort into simulating working with a tape deck in the analog days. You could avoid that and fly multi audio stream items into new mix tracks... But that turns into recording bin style but with extra work and clutter.

Maybe the more accurate question might be why would anyone put up with awkward (for them) default features? Beginners do because it's a deep well and that's fair enough. I think swapping the default to lanes and making the weird comp system a choice to hunt down in a menu would go far. Not just for Reaper but obviously Logic Audio Hell and Cubase as well. I just love getting Reaper projects from an inexperienced new user. "Are the selected takes you have in this clusterfuck I'm looking at here the intended choices?" I'll ask. "What?" is always the answer. Followed by something like "Yeah, I don't know what was going on there." And then the next one: "What's with this sub-grouping here? It seems weirdly random." "What's that mean?" they say. If you didn't immediately get what I'm talking about, it's the feature to make a folder child track with a drag/drop moving tracks around and missing that it's a feature and to watch that little indent telltale. (Which I haven't found a way to turn off BTW. But it's fine if you know it's there and pay attention.)

Anyway, why the heck are some of you using the comp feature as though someone is forcing you if you don't like it?

Meanwhile, Reaper has two very strong features. Lanes and multitrack items. (I don't mean the multi audio stream items from the comp feature but multitrack items up to 64 track channels. You can record drums to a single 16 or more channel item, for example. And apply that to recording bin style.)
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #813
Coachz

Being able to do quick swiping would be so efficient and intuitive for me that I hope they implement it. I use comping extensively and can't imagine an easier way than with the collapsible tracks into the summary lane and quick swipe selection with the ability to audition the same comps any track.

I also wrote a document on the many ways to do takes years ago but quick swiping for me would be great.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...f=true&sd=true

Coachz Repo
Old 06-24-2022, 01:52 PM   #814
nepenthe

Not sure if I understand all the hostility about comping and such. Maybe its a bit rough around the edges but I think Reaper runs circles around other DAWs and their "easy" comping modes. I really think Justin and Schwa deserve a lot more respect for making Reaper as flexible as it is. I don't know of any other DAWs which let you overlay and comp vocal stacks or mix processed and unprocessed media together, or comp items which themselves contain multiple takes. I don't think calling it "rubbish" is appropriate, but I guess it worked since they're building the fixed lanes feature now.

While there's lots of room for improvement, I don't think this is that bad at all:
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #815
Bruceqld

I agree. I like Reapers comping system. It seems pretty straightforward to me. Coming from Sonar and Studio one, Reapers approach is uncomplicated and works well. Horses for courses I guess. Someone mentioned Studio One as an example of how it should be done, whereas I found S1 to be so fiddly, and editing a comp without snapping on resulted in tiny sections of takes scattered accross the comp that took forever to tidy up.
Bruceqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #816
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Not sure if I understand all the hostility about comping and such. Maybe its a bit rough around the edges but I think Reaper runs circles around other DAWs and their "easy" comping modes. I really think Justin and Schwa deserve a lot more respect for making Reaper as flexible as it is. I don't know of any other DAWs which let you overlay and comp vocal stacks or mix processed and unprocessed media together, or comp items which themselves contain multiple takes. I don't think calling it "rubbish" is appropriate, but I guess it worked since they're building the fixed lanes feature now.

While there's lots of room for improvement, I don't think this is that bad at all:
I'm glad it works for you but comping in Reaper is nowhere close to quick swipe comping in logic and I do a ton of comping. I really am glad it works great for you but for me it can be so much better, faster and more intuitive if they simply copied the quick swipe comping with the collapsible summary lane and the easy swiping to select the comps and audition other lanes of the same comp.

Coachz Repo
Old 06-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #817
MonkeyBars

The new take system with fixed media lanes and play markers is currently in dev and is super sick. Def not ready for prime time yet but ultra powerful, flexible and very much in line with Reaper ethos of flexible tools.
MonkeyBars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #818
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
The new take system with fixed media lanes and play markers is currently in dev and is super sick. Def not ready for prime time yet but ultra powerful, flexible and very much in line with Reaper ethos of flexible tools.
What's it do please? Can someone make a short little lice cap of it's capabilities thank you

Coachz Repo
Old 06-24-2022, 04:13 PM   #819
ferropop

Quote:
What's it do please? Can someone make a short little lice cap of it's capabilities thank you
You can pretty much swipe-comp already in it using Razor Edits.

Check the prerelease threads, it's taking up 90% of the dev's efforts lately so there's plenty of examples.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:25 PM   #820
MonkeyBars

Yeah those threads have examples of usage. It's quite similar to Logic swipe-comping but has far more power since each take is on its own item like traditional Reaper take comping... really cool and useful for a lot more than just take comping as the fixed lanes are almost like a DAW within a single track.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:41 PM   #821
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Yeah those threads have examples of usage. It's quite similar to Logic swipe-comping but has far more power since each take is on its own item like traditional Reaper take comping... really cool and useful for a lot more than just take comping as the fixed lanes are almost like a DAW within a single track.
No collapsible summary track though

Coachz Repo
Old 06-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #822
ferropop

Quote:
Not as a container, but you can consolidate all the selected bits to a new lane, and collapse to that. There's actions.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 PM   #823
MonkeyBars

Quote:
That's a great idea for a new option to add to tracks – collapse track to play marker active items below a certain height etc.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:44 PM   #824
nepenthe

Quote:
I'm glad it works for you but comping in Reaper is nowhere close to quick swipe comping in logic and I do a ton of comping. I really am glad it works great for you but for me it can be so much better, faster and more intuitive if they simply copied the quick swipe comping with the collapsible summary lane and the easy swiping to select the comps and audition other lanes of the same comp.
I'd love to see improvements like swipe comping - across folder/child tracks. This feels more like how Logic's comps are laid out than having it done inside of one track using non-collapsible equal-height lanes.
Anyw, my point is that the software already does a lot so kudos to the devs
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:02 AM   #825
ivansc

Can`t wait to see the first actual release of that new comping system....
Old 06-25-2022, 04:19 AM   #826
hexSPA

Quote:
Now is the first I'm hearing of reaper's potential new takes system. It looks like your video is similar to this one demonstrating Logic's quick swipe comping system:

https://youtu.be/rkdAWcU57Sc?t=150

It looks like they work the same but Logic's looks friendlier.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:52 AM   #827
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
drag/drop moving tracks around and missing that it's a feature and to watch that little indent telltale. (Which I haven't found a way to turn off BTW. But it's fine if you know it's there and pay attention.)
Theme adjuster.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:59 AM   #828
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
Now is the first I'm hearing of reaper's potential new takes system. It looks like your video is similar to this one demonstrating Logic's quick swipe comping system:

The only visual difference is that Reaper shows a line across all lanes the whole time, and Cubase makes non-selected takes 2 tone - visually more stark, which I think is better, but am I missing something?

And I prefer in Reaper not having to click a button (show lanes), and another button (comp tool). But again, what am I missing....?
Old 06-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #829
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post

Exactly

Coachz Repo
Old 06-25-2022, 01:40 PM   #830
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Not as a container, but you can consolidate all the selected bits to a new lane, and collapse to that. There's actions.
Ferropop,
Any chance you can make me a Lice Cap showing this "quick swiping" behavior in Reaper along with what actions I need to make it work please ? I'll bake cookies !

Coachz Repo
Old 04-02-2023, 04:33 AM   #831
Wojtek Stecyszyn

Bump
Long time since last post.
Anything new in this topic?
It would be nice to see some improvements in Reapers take system.
Old 04-02-2023, 04:42 AM   #832
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek Stecyszyn View Post
Bump
Long time since last post.
Anything new in this topic?
It would be nice to see some improvements in Reapers take system.
If you are not familiar with dev builds, check pre-release forum.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:37 PM   #833
skylar_battles

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=277767

Does this seem like a bug?
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote