Old 07-01-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Bassttv
Human being with feelings

Default recording track error

Hey Guys...when i have my bass armed in a track, getting a good signal , i go to hit the record button and i get an error saying "can't write to recording files, does directory exist?" Am i correct in thinking it has to do with the "path" that i'm trying to record to thats wrong ? Thank you, any help is appreciated.
Bassttv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:53 AM   #2
zeekat

If you're on windows, stuff you record before creating a project directory goes to "c:\Users\$your_username\Documents\Reaper Media" by default. Or perhaps you created a dedicated project dir but moved/removed it by mistake? Error message is kinda self explanatory.

In general having a dedicated corner for Reaper projects on your disk and saving each project to its own dir there (save project as>"create subdirectory for project") and NOT moving them around is a good idea
Old 07-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #3
Bassttv

thx for your response , its greatly needed ! At what page/area in settings would i go to, to check it ? I went to preferences , then paths, then added the default you mentioned and its still coming up, is there a reset defaults button i could use? thanks again !
Old 07-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #4
EpicSounds

File - Project settings

Media

This is path for saving your recordings for this project.

If it is blank, then it saves to the same location as the reaper project. If it says something like 'audio files' it will make a new folder for the recordings.

If the project is NOT saved yet, it uses the path in Preferences (documents/reaper media by default).
Old 07-04-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
Bassttv

thx for your response , i checked the area you spoke of and its blank...i pulled up reaper again and activated the record , and still get the error..i email Cookos support asking for a refund as ive had it with this issue..im open for any other ideas ie: restore to default settings,etc...it just cant be this difficult can it be??
Old 07-05-2022, 06:08 AM   #6
zeekat

So, to clear that out, what exactly are you doing? Fire up Reaper, get to recording straight away (create a track, arm record and go) and it goes nyeeh, can't write, check the directory?

So yeah, if you didn't start by creating a new project directory (save project as and checking "create subdirectory"), the files will try to write to the default directory that I and Epic mentioned. Is it there? Maybe it was deleted by accident?

^ all of that assumes you're on Windows 10 (you didn't mention the system)
Old 07-05-2022, 06:29 AM   #7
rckrebs

Also some people on Reddit and this forum had problems on their Window platforms with their anti-virus software.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207666
rckrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 08:15 AM   #8
EpicSounds

what folder are you trying to record to, and like the error message says - does it exist?
Old 07-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #9
Bassttv

zeekat, i think you are right , i think it has to do with the directory or sub directory..im in project settings now and under "Media " the first two "path to same media files " and the one below it "secondary recording path" are blank
Old 07-05-2022, 04:36 PM   #10
Bassttv

rockrebs im only using windows defender, i got rid of my other anitvirus due to lagging issues caused by it
Old 07-05-2022, 04:37 PM   #11
Bassttv

epic sounds, im trying to figure that out now, i thought it would of had a default setting
Old 07-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #12
Bassttv

zeekat and all...i put the directory in you mentioned and its up and recording!! Thx a million, i swear i did this before anddidnt have any luck, ughh...my hats off to you all, a million thank yous!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #13
Bassttv

well, strangely enough the same problem came back i cant understand why, i checked the changes i made that got me recording but now its giving me the same issue..hysterical, its clear im in recording purgatory
Old 07-05-2022, 11:39 PM   #14
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassttv View Post
zeekat and all...i put the directory in you mentioned and its up and recording!! Thx a million, i swear i did this before anddidnt have any luck, ughh...my hats off to you all, a million thank yous!!!!!!!!!
Put the directory where? It's the default directory, it works when there's nothing configured in path settings(out of the box there's nothing there, usually there's no need). This is how it looks here

Nothing in the settings:

Files I recorded before creating a project directory land in the following place (it's either This PC>Documents>Reaper Media or C:\Users\blablah etc. depending the window you check it through, Users\brunon coz it's the local user on my PC). First pic from windows explorer, second from Unreal Commander which show paths in a more detailed way (but it's the same place)

Old 07-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #15
Bassttv

Thx for getting back with the help..I know what you're talking about and will look into it...im now thinking it an anti-virus software but can't seem to change the settings to not have my AV block Reaper because of yet another AV perhaps blocking the first...im trying but im thinking I may have some kind of virus..im exhausted and beaten down, ill let you go , maybe ill post another problem if your lucky..lol...thx anyway