Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Trigun
Human being with feelings

Default Stupid Sound Blaster Z problem fixed. Not a Reaper issue. Sorry. [solved]

So I haven't loaded up Reaper in a while as I don't do much audio stuff anymore. But I wanted to check on an old project in reference to something else i'm doing. So I loaded it up. and tried to playback the audio. But playback speed is suddenly sub real time. Like 1-2% realtime and the resulting audio sounds like it is time stretched to hell.

I've tried everything I could, none of my settings have changed, my computer has not changed since I used it last (Within the year). CPU usage is 0% for Reaper.(Nothing running in the background should be breaking anything. A system restart does nothing) Just trying to open a new project and hitting play is totally broken, the time code doesn't run at full speed.

Tried updating to the latest version, nada.

Tried deleting the Reaper.ini and let it auto generate a new one. Nothing.

Using 64 bit or 32 bit executable. Nothing.

Changing sample rates, bit depths, buffer sizes. WASAPI Exclusive,Shared,DS,WO. Nothing.

Changing the windows audio device settings does nothing. (Samplerate, bit depth, letting apps take exclusive control,etc)

The only thing that causes playback to work properly is using my Soundblaster Z's ASIO mode. Which is bizarre and unusable for me anyway for what i'm trying to do.

WASAPI Exclusive always worked perfectly for me and I've used Reaper on this Windows 7 installation with this hardware set up for almost 8 years and never had this issue.

What could have changed? I'm so confused lol.
Absolutely nothing else is wrong with anything else running except trying to run Reaper. Any ideas??

Last edited by Trigun; 08-13-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
JamesPeters

I read your post here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=444

Sounds familiar.

It seems the card isn't exactly the best for its drivers (assuming that it's the drivers and not just the hardware itself). If that problem happens when using its S/PDIF input, who knows what other problem it may have.

Have you updated the audio driver, including possibly Windows updating the driver without your knowledge (check the driver version and compare to your last known working version)?

Anyway I wouldn't have posted this in the bug reports forum especially since the problem sounds similar to the previous problem you'd had with that card. It seems related to the card, not Reaper, at least so far.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:48 AM   #3
Trigun

Oh nuts, I had totally forgotten about that. (Like I said, it's been a long time for me with this stuff.).

I had it set up so the loop back audio input was disabled in Windows.
The digital (SPDIF in) was the only input available. The Mic/Line in doesn't show up because it's not connected. Trying another input isn't an option when it's setup this way.

And that fixed it. Jeez man, I feel like a dope not having used this stuff in so long. I tried searching the forums for an answer and couldn't find anything like it. (Didn't think to search for SBZ problems. Or my own post history!)

Thanks a lot, what a dumb problem this card has.
Since I didn't realize it was a hardware issue I didn't think about it either. I thought I had somehow changed something within Reaper, my apologies.
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
JamesPeters

I'm glad I could help by pointing in the right direction! I wasn't sure if it were going to be a driver update or something else about your configuration, but at least there was that information to start with.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
DarkStar

.. perhaps you could update the thread title?

Click on [Go advanced] when you edit the post then you can change it.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
.. perhaps you could update the thread title?

Click on [Go advanced] when you edit the post then you can change it.

... and add [solved] to it
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote