Old 03-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
buckman
Human being with feelings

Default 32-bit or 64-bit if i go 16Gb Ram on Mac?

I've always used the 32-bit version fine, and never really looked at the 64-bit version.

I'm thinking of going 16Gb Ram for my Macbook Pro but I do run Ableton at the same time, and Parallels/Windows/Sound Forge

I was under the impression that 32-bit just divided up all the 'running' programs into 4Gb max for each program. (I have 8Gb now, and my Parallels/Windows install is only set to use 1Gb as its just for an editor)

All my Mac plug ins are 32bit and am fine with them. I'm running 10.7.2 which i think is 64-bit.

So would 16Gb be beneficial? It would be rude not too as its so cheap and I use many programs at once inc Reaper at the same time.

So with 16Gb would I be advisable to run the 64-bit? and if I just want to keep my 32bit plugs, would these all run ok? Would I notice a power difference in Reaper 64?

How many are using 64bit Reaper on Mac?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
gwok

I use only 64bit, OSX 10.6.8 - was having what I believe are RAM related crashes on bigger project - no more now

btw I run 16gb ram, parallels\windows 7, often have Reaktor, Ableton and other stuff running. Typically I'm using 12-14gb RAM on average (gluttinous I know, but hey, when in rome!)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
I use only 64bit, OSX 10.6.8 - was having what I believe are RAM related crashes on bigger project - no more now

btw I run 16gb ram, parallels\windows 7, often have Reaktor, Ableton and other stuff running. Typically I'm using 12-14gb RAM on average (gluttinous I know, but hey, when in rome!)
Thats good to know, but didn't realise that those few programs your running would take you up to 12-14Gb (plus projects) - I thought 16Gb, would take weeks to fill
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #4
EvilDragon

32-bit OS will recognize only up to 4 GB of RAM, no more. So, you should go 64-bit.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
32-bit OS will recognize only up to 4 GB of RAM, no more. So, you should go 64-bit.
Yes exactly what I thought, but do I keep with the 32-bit and get the full 4Gb and the rest of the memory be used by the other programs i'm using in 4Gb limited chunks for even memory distribution? or go 64-bit and use as much memory as i need per project, and i think it 'bridges' the 32bit plug ins?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
philait

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yes exactly what I thought, but do I keep with the 32-bit and get the full 4Gb and the rest of the memory be used by the other programs i'm using in 4Gb limited chunks for even memory distribution? or go 64-bit and use as much memory as i need per project, and i think it 'bridges' the 32bit plug ins?
Go 64 bit and use 64bit versions of your plug-ins wherever possible. For the plugins you have which don't have 64 bit versions available use dedicated bridging and each dedicated bridge process will be able to see 4gig of ram for itself if there's enough available.
philait is offline   Reply With Quote