Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Cam_Dunn
Human being with feelings

Default 32 Vs. 64Bit

Wondering what the difference is between the 32 and 64 bit versions? I am running an older iMac (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) with lion 10.7.3, and I am running into some play back problems and I am thinking of downgrading (if thats a good way to put it?).

It seems like I've got a lack-of-power problem, where play back and recording gets really choppy and some times stops altogether. But it happens at random - the number of tracks or the number apps running doesn't seem to be of any consequence. And to make things worse, once the project decides to stop playing back nicely no matter what I do I can't bring it back.

Would the 32 bit version help or should i up the RAM or am I going to have to fork over some dough for a new machine?
Cam_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
philait

What Does Resource monitor and the Reaper CPU monitor say.
In My experience Running out of ram = hard Crash. Running out of CPU or Disk overload +Choppy playback and stutters/crackles.
philait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Justin
Administrator

If you're using mostly 32 bit plug-ins, then it is often better for performance to use the 32 bit REAPER.. otherwise, if your plugins are largely universal 32/64, or 64 bit only, 64 bit REAPER should be preferable in most ways...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Cam_Dunn

thanks guys, I think that it is a CPU problem, the performance meeter spiked regularly on the projects that are giving me problems. I'll try the 32 bit version and see if that helps.
Cam_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote