Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #1
Mike Gascoigne
Human being with feelings

Default A 60 year old novice needs realistic advice

A long winded question to a simple ask.
Having been a PC user for 15 years I decided to use a little cash that came my way to buy a Mac. My basic computer skills are basic! I don't know technical terms, but once I've learnt a process I am usually sound. I have basic experience at digital recording using a Boss (something or other) but I have decided to use my new plaything (the mac) to record my musical creations on.
I have at Focusrite 18i8 interface and I have learnt in the past four days how to use Garageband which came free with my Mac.
However, I find that software clumsy, and to be frank.... lacking the basics. I spent 2 hours trying to work out how to "punch-in" to tracks I had previously recorded... only to find I'd been wasting my time! An Apple forum told me that that basic useful feature was not available on the new Garageband software!
My question, given my limited skills and lack of techno speak, will it be easy to upload Reaper to my Mac and then get it communicating with my Focusrite? I really just want to do basic 8 track recording, mic-ing drums with 5 separate drums. Thanks for reading this far! Comments are very welcome.
Mike Gascoigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
bonesinc

Hey Mike. Welcome.

It's very easy to get Reaper on your mac. It's just 1 file. My guess is that setting up your Focusrite will be just as easy. If your Focusrite works with GarageBand it'll likely work with Reaper too. Just give it a try. It'll probably cost you less then 10 minutes to find out whether it works or not. And I bet it does. :-)

Good luck!

Matt
bonesinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
JimFichs

I wouldn't say it would be "easy" for a person who isn't technically inclined, but it's certainly do-able. You may have to do a little menu-diving and work with some settings to get where you want to go, but I also find that the initial setup is usually the biggest hurdle. Once everything is set, recording is pretty simple.

I don't know much about GarageBand, but Reaper is very capable. Hope it works out well for you!
JimFichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Mike Gascoigne

Thanks for the encouragement. I've just noticed that I have a 60 day free trial so I have nothing to lose. This forum idea is also great for complete novices like myself. Cheers Reaperpeople.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
Serenitynow

It's the most user (and company) responsive site fro any DAW. At least that's what I think! Good,helpful people here!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
TimOBrien

Fairly easy and we're here to answer what questions we can.

(And some of us are as old as you, don't take it as a deterrent.)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
DarkStar

Pick one task that you are used to doing in the "real world" then work out, step-by-step, how do do that same task with Reaper and your computer.

If / when stuck, then just ask here about your specific problem (the sort of wording not to use is "Reaper does not record" as the chorus of answers will be "oh, yes it does"). Then we can give you some specific advice / guidelines.

Once you've got that task under your belt, pick another one, ... and so on.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Mike Gascoigne

Again, thanks folks for your positive reassurances. I get the need for specifics when it comes to problems, and hopefully I can provide that, if not in the correct techno-phrase. e.g. I tend to catch buses, rather than use them when recording!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Mike Gascoigne

Dark Star...
I took your advice, and it works like a dream. So intuitive, and I simply did one task at a time, repeated the process a couple of times, and then moved on to the next task. I was going to wait till my 60 days had expired, but I can tell already that Reaper will more than meet my needs, so I went ahead a purchased it.
Thanks again for your sound advice (no pun intended).
Old 08-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
bonesinc

Great that it's working out so well. Welcome to the community.

Matt
bonesinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
DarkStar

Yep, good oh!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
dea-man

Welcome.

Anything you need to know, just ask.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to post some of your work.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Don Schenk

Hey Mike,

Glad you're here. If you are 60, then you are a young thing. There are a couple of us here who are old f@rts compared to you. :-)

I've been a PC user for almost 30 years - DOS then various Windows. And I and swore up and down I would never own a Mac, because I couldn't buy parts and build my own. How silly!

For the past several months I kept borrowing my wife's Mac. About 3 weeks ago I bought one for myself. Shhh. Don't tell my friends. I haven't told told them yet. They will never let me live it down.

At any rate, take a look at this thread:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...ht=Kenny+Gioia

And get this...

http://www.groove3.com/str/reaper-4-explained.html

Your mysteries will be solved. Well worth the $35 bucks.

Enjoy.

:-Don
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #14
bigtop

Hey Mike,

I can support all the comments above.

Reaper is magic and despite all its functionality and depth, it remains a very tightly coded program with simplicity running through its architecture.

I'll bet that almost everyone who tries out Reaper ends up using it as their go to DAW. Then again, many of the Reaper users also keep running their other DAWs for certain things...each person's choice.

I certainly find that, on my Mac, I can run Reaper with my plugins etc without rinsing the CPU.

You will find the Reaper community to be one of the friendliest and helpful you could imagine.

Happy recording.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Mike Gascoigne

Default General Thanks.

A big thanks to all of you who responded to my non-specific question.

I haven't had any time to really get going, but the experimental recordings I have done have taught me almost all the basics, and, when I come to mic up drums for the first time I'd really appreciate constructive criticism about levels etc. Although I don't have a weekend free until September, I hope once I'd recorded one of the songs I have written for the band I play with, some of you would cast an experienced ear over what I post on here. No point in me leaping forward if you guys can save me time and effort with your combined experience.
Bloody hell.... this a a friendly and helpful forum!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #16
Kundalinguist

Kenny Gioia's Reaper tutorials on Groove3.com are an excellent resource for both beginners and pros. For $15.00, you can get a month of unlimited tutorial streaming to saturate your mind with all things Reaper. A massive kick-start to gaining command of the program.

Welcome to the Reaper community and I wish you all the best with your musical endeavors.